DWI driver pleads not guilty in crash...

DWI driver pleads not guilty in crash that killed two

There are 113 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 8, 2007, titled DWI driver pleads not guilty in crash that killed two. In it, Newsday reports that:

A Central Islip man who prosecutors say was driving drunk when he crashed into another car, killing two of its passengers, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
God Help US

Randolph, NJ

#109 Mar 11, 2007
2 people would be alive today if this scum was not able to enter this country in the first place! Why is it that more and more crimes today are committed by illegal immigrants. Sure there are hard working ones. But the majority are criminals who would suffer more severe punishments for their crimes in there own county. Only in America! They get to walk, and not get kicked out of the country.
wiw

Mount Wolf, PA

#110 Mar 11, 2007
God Help US wrote:
2 people would be alive today if this scum was not able to enter this country in the first place! Why is it that more and more crimes today are committed by illegal immigrants. Sure there are hard working ones. But the majority are criminals who would suffer more severe punishments for their crimes in there own county. Only in America! They get to walk, and not get kicked out of the country.
Let me understand. You say the "majority" of illegal immigrants are criminals? Sir, they ALL are criminals, by definition.

As to what percent of this criminal population then goes on to commit further crimes, what is the source of your information? Who measures these things? Who even has a count on how many are here?
Bob

Lewisville, TX

#111 Mar 11, 2007
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> What does the Catholic church have to do with this tragedy? Did he get drunk at church??
The Catholic church is very soft on illegal immigration. If it was up to them they would probaly hide this guy out in of of their churches.
Smart Mouth

Warren, NJ

#112 Mar 13, 2007
fin wrote:
Many occupations mae money off drunk drivers.
Nevertheless, Albany could, if it were not filled with gutless stooges, pass a law that would impound the car of anyone driving drunk.
The fact that they do not, imo, puts blood on their hands as well. And btw, the fact that prohibition did not work in the US does NOT mean it does not well elsewhere.
They do impound the cars but there are a few problems with it. First off if you dont own the car the state cannot seize it because the bank owns it. It alos may be a leased car, which again you dont own. The other problem is the law says they can only keep it if your found guilty. Some of these cases take a long time to get a court date and there were several lawsuits against the counties. Death is the only way to stop DWI !!!!
Dolores

Westbury, NY

#113 Mar 14, 2007
Smart Mouth wrote:
<quoted text>
First off if you dont own the car the state cannot seize it because the bank owns it.
I don't know what the law says about leases, but a vehicle can most certainly be confiscated, even if there is a lien on it. The lienholder must then sue to get the money for the vehicle back from whomever took the loan out.

That is the reason I don't bother filing for child support from the multi dwi convicted felon father of my child. He owes for too many vehicles, and I would be last in line. The courts would grant him (the felony drunk driver) visitation rights and I would have to watch as the felon, to whom the state has, once again, reissued a driver's license (did I mention his multiple felony dwi convictions, no deaths caused....yet) drive away with my child in his next to be confiscated vehicle.

I do not take his word on this, the decisions in the civil case for the vehicle are on ECourts.com

The law stinks
wiw

Buffalo, NY

#114 Mar 14, 2007
Smart Mouth wrote:
<quoted text>
They do impound the cars but there are a few problems with it. First off if you dont own the car the state cannot seize it because the bank owns it. It alos may be a leased car, which again you dont own. The other problem is the law says they can only keep it if your found guilty. Some of these cases take a long time to get a court date and there were several lawsuits against the counties. Death is the only way to stop DWI !!!!
Thank you for your reply. In Suffolk, the impound has been on again off again and apparently on again with some limitations.

My point is that it is up to the elected reps in Albany to write a workable law which overcomes the problems you mention. Maybe they are scared of the banks or trial lawyers.
Had Enough

Warren, NJ

#115 Mar 16, 2007
Dolores wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what the law says about leases, but a vehicle can most certainly be confiscated, even if there is a lien on it. The lienholder must then sue to get the money for the vehicle back from whomever took the loan out.
That is the reason I don't bother filing for child support from the multi dwi convicted felon father of my child. He owes for too many vehicles, and I would be last in line. The courts would grant him (the felony drunk driver) visitation rights and I would have to watch as the felon, to whom the state has, once again, reissued a driver's license (did I mention his multiple felony dwi convictions, no deaths caused....yet) drive away with my child in his next to be confiscated vehicle.
I do not take his word on this, the decisions in the civil case for the vehicle are on ECourts.com
The law stinks
They cant take the vehicles if they have loans on them because they are the property of the bank not the driver. They can try but in the end the state would lose the case. there were many cases (few I know of firast hand) and the state was getting clobbered by lawsuits. For some reason they make laws but never investigate to see the loopholes and them some lawyer or group challange them as violations of civil right blah blah blah. This is one of the reasons its been on and off.

Now the solution to that would be confiscate the vehicle and turn ot over to the lien holder immediately this way the drunk loses his car and the lien holder doesnt have to fight to get the money. I just dont understand why the laws arent changed. his isnt a small problem, its an epidemic.

I sorry to hear about you ex, but Im glad your keeping him away.
wiw

Elverson, PA

#116 Mar 16, 2007
My guess is that trial lawyers make too much money off drunks and don't want to see the problem go away, which it easily could do.

Since: Dec 06

Sebastian, FL

#117 Mar 16, 2007
BILL wrote:
<quoted text> THE CHURCH SUPPORTS ILLEGAL ALIENS SO THEY CAN FILL THEIR PEWS WITH THE FAITHFUL AND HAVE A FRESH SUPPLY OF YOUNG BOYS FOR THEIR PREISTS TO EDUCATE AND SHOW THEM THE WAY ! LOOK AT THAT CROOK CARDNIAL EGAN IN CALIF. TALKS ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF ILLEGALS BUT HAD 5 OF THE PARISHES USE OUR BANKRUPSY LAWS TO PREVENT THE VICTIMS OF HIS PEDAIFILE PREISTS FROM GETTING ANYTHING AND HE BLOCKS THE INVESTIGATIONS OF THESE MOLESTERS. IF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WANTS TO GET IN THE POLITICAL GAME FINE THEN START PAYING TAXES OR SELLING SOME OF THE ARTWORK AND BILLIONS IN REAL ESTATE TO HELP THE POOR AND DOWNTRODDEN ! FAT CHANCE !! THE CHURCH IS AS PHONEY AS IT WAS IN THE DARK AGES ! I USED TO BE A CATHOLIC THEN I GREW UP AND REALIZED WHAT IT WAS REALLY ALL ABOUT ! I'M SORRY TO THOSE OF YOU WHO BELIEVE BUT THE CHURCH IS A BUSINESS AND NOTHING MORE .
Get over yourself. How about the born agains or the baptists - there all in bed up there in D.C., are'nt they? HUM? Last time I looked the born agains were the largest growing religion besides the baptists at the southern convention. Glad you found another religion because you obviously misconstrued what the catholic religion is all about. It is not about the business of the church, it is about your faith. I always have to laugh when I hear ex catholics who go off and knock the church and find religion in some other organized manipulating system. Do you really think any of the religous organizations are not about money? Now back to the subject, I believe the article is about DWI, not religion.
Dolores

Westbury, NY

#118 Mar 18, 2007
Had Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
They cant take the vehicles if they have loans on them because they are the property of the bank not the driver.
Well, they can and they did. The decision was handed down in Suffolk County July of 2006. The lienholder was told they were not getting the vehicle back and they had to file suit against the drunk to get their money.
fin

Mount Wolf, PA

#119 Mar 18, 2007
Dolores wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they can and they did. The decision was handed down in Suffolk County July of 2006. The lienholder was told they were not getting the vehicle back and they had to file suit against the drunk to get their money.
*sound of two hands clapping*
HAd Enough

New York, NY

#120 Mar 19, 2007
Dolores wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they can and they did. The decision was handed down in Suffolk County July of 2006. The lienholder was told they were not getting the vehicle back and they had to file suit against the drunk to get their money.
Actuall the Lien holder should have sued the County. One of the reasons they had stopped confiscating cars was because they were getting clobbered with Lawsuits. The County thinks it can do whatever it wants because nobody challenges them. Those who do win easily. Dont get me wrong I want the county to take all the vehicles but they should be returned to the Lien holder period.
matt

Saint James, NY

#121 Mar 23, 2011
Brian wrote:
This is just another in a long line of DWI cases that Suffolk and the State do not prosecute to the fullest.
In October of 2004 21 year old Edward Zatwarnicki was killed by a drunk driver who admitted to police that he was using the LIE service road to avoid being caught by police because he knew he was drunk.
The result: The drunk driver gets a measly 60 days in county lockup and some community service and the family loses their only son.
The punishment does NOT fit the crime.
While Suffolk lawmakers say they're tough on drunk drivers their actions say otherwise.
Lot's of talk but no real action.
Try living without your son. The drunk got 40 days Edward dead. My family a life sentence. And a living hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 11 hr Kate 1,455
News Four People Arrested During SLA Inspections Mon JT Damillagitti 6
News Starbucks, GoHealth sign leases at Greybarn Ami... (Jul '16) Mon Concerned 2
News LaGrange: Union support is needed for Heartland... May 21 a bridge is for sale 1
News Sessions' hard line on drug enforcement will ba... May 19 frank scerpico 1
News Heartland mega-project gets county planning app... May 19 dictatorship 6
News Heartland hearing shows local support May 17 asbestos anyone 4

West Islip Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Islip Mortgages