Islip urges Fire Island evacuation

Full story: Newsday 18
Islip Town officials are urging Fire Island residents to evacuate by 9 a.m. Sunday due to an expected tidal surge in the Great South Bay caused by the high winds of a powerful Nor'easter storm hitting the New ... Full Story
Nick

Yaphank, NY

#1 Apr 14, 2007
This is the most hyped up storm since Hurricane Gloria.
MYOPINION

Lindenhurst, NY

#2 Apr 15, 2007
Nick wrote:
But, if I were a Fire Island Resident, I'd rather be safe than SORRY. One day of inconvenience for them that could "save" their lives...
Could be a hyped up storm but why chance it for these people.
Beach Bum

Wyckoff, NJ

#3 Apr 15, 2007
Kismet is fine for the moment
Ex Oak Beacher

Akron, OH

#4 Apr 15, 2007
Don't worry. If you choose not to evacuate the Coast Guard will launch a helicopter rescue mission that will cost over $15,000 and put the lives of four servicemen in danger.
gloria

Islip Terrace, NY

#5 Apr 15, 2007
Nick wrote:
Gloria, Gloria...
I remember her well. Power was still not returned and we had school anyway! Didnt even reschedule picture day. We had to heat up our curling irons on the stove!
BACKATCHA

Lindenhurst, NY

#6 Apr 15, 2007
Ex Oak Beacher wrote:
Don't worry. If you choose not to evacuate the Coast Guard will launch a helicopter rescue mission that will cost over $15,000 and put the lives of four servicemen in danger.
It's 2007. A good majority of people don't think about other people's safety, sorry to say...
Maureen Maloney

Jamaica, NY

#7 Apr 15, 2007
Those residents who are physically challenged such as the elderly, and disabled as in nursing homes, etc. should be especially alerted in the area of the south shore of Long Island.
Spanky

Lindenhurst, NY

#8 Apr 15, 2007
I lived on Fire Island through the '91 Holloween Storm and the "Perfect Storm". It's never been the same there since.Watching all of those houses fall into the Ocean one by one was heartbreaking.
August West

New York, NY

#9 Apr 15, 2007
9PM and All Is Well -- from Ocean Beach

Thank you all for caring. Looks like we got sparred this time – definitely suffered beach erosion, but not as bad as last year’s 8-day storm that carved the dunes up.

And to all those with nasty comments, we are respectful citizens here and do care about Coast Guard and the various other rescue squads. In fact most of the full time residents are either volunteer firemen or EMS workers. The rest of us are involved in maintaining our individual communities during the “off season” for the pleasure of many who still know what a great summer is on this special barrier island.
BACKATCHA

Lindenhurst, NY

#10 Apr 16, 2007
August West wrote:
9PM and All Is Well -- from Ocean Beach
Thank you all for caring. Looks like we got sparred this time – definitely suffered beach erosion, but not as bad as last year’s 8-day storm that carved the dunes up.
And to all those with nasty comments, we are respectful citizens here and do care about Coast Guard and the various other rescue squads. In fact most of the full time residents are either volunteer firemen or EMS workers. The rest of us are involved in maintaining our individual communities during the “off season” for the pleasure of many who still know what a great summer is on this special barrier island.
Evidently you were "one" that did not heed to the warning of evacuating... thus, thank goodness "costly" services weren't needed because you would have added to that. Must be a gambling person? I'm glad you "won" this time.
Year rounder

Port Washington, NY

#11 Apr 17, 2007
Geez, I had no idea of an evacuation. I wish the Town of Islip folks would of gotten the word out to folks who reside on FI. We never lost electricity or phone service.

I would like to know who was contacted and how.
Byrdman

Edison, NJ

#12 Apr 28, 2007
Actually, The residents of fire island do not care about other people. They are an extremely tight knit group of people who go through great lengths to alienate "outsiders". Its the summer crowd that creates the inflated values of their houses, that will eventually wash away. It is also the summer crowd that patronize their business and tolerate their ridiculous prices.

These people make a years salary during a 4-5 month period, and then have the nerve to be arrogant, rude, and condescending to anyone who does not live there year round.
John Allen

Huntington, NY

#13 Sep 1, 2010
Fire island ferries is the best company ever!!!
Chief Brody

West Babylon, NY

#14 Sep 1, 2010
We're gonna need a bigger boat :-)
Fred C

Queens Village, NY

#15 Aug 25, 2011
Would have been nice if the nannys in Islip had waited to see where the damn storm was going to go first.

$5 says it hits the Carolinas, stalls out and weakens over land and we maybe get a tropical storm.

The potential track is FOUR HUNDRED MILES wide...could go 200 miles in either direction...but the govt twits need to be heard.

Yes, I have a home on FI. Will go out friday and batten down.
Tyrone

West Islip, NY

#16 Aug 26, 2011
I am hoping my house in the 'Danch is waterfront by monday!
Florida Cracker

Bradenton, FL

#17 Aug 27, 2011
Nick wrote:
I live in South Florida going on 50 years now.
Went through hurricane Charlie plus a few others.
Your homes are not going to blow down and wash away .
If you live along any waterway ,there may be flooding if the surge is strong because the rain water cannot get out.
Most likely you will have a lot of tree damage.
You will most likely lose power and that may be the biggest problem you will have to deal with depending on how long it takes to get it back up.
But YES the media is over doing it with this storm .Probably because New york may have problems.
But Long Island ? You people can handle this.
It just going to be messy,inconvenient but not the end of the world. Good Luck
tom deely

United States

#18 Dec 13, 2012
The town of uskupení d.p.w deparftment under tom Owens is doing evrything we can to bring life back to fire islaand.please be patient as we revive and regroup this magical island back to its splendor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll: Do You Support a St. James CVS? 4 hr dianenarr 1
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 4 hr Bruser 7,911
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 5 hr Bruser 2,313
HUGE Story and this Board is quiet - why? (Apr '11) 23 hr Jane 4
Cops raid W. Islip bar, arrest owners, bartenders (Jan '08) 23 hr tim21 239
Jennifer Poppiti, Hauppauge Middle School teach... Mon shesnotaneducator 6
commack resident janet koch is new exec. dir. o... Oct 18 DHF1147 1

West Islip News Video

West Islip Dating
Find my Match