Concerned Parent

Livingston, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

So what are the thoughts of the populace of West Islip?

Governor proposing reduction in all forms of aid for the state inclusive of Education, how do you think we will we be affected?

Superintendent forming a community board to discuss the future demographic of the community, what would you like to see come from this?

Based on that and the apparent decline in enrollment do we close a school and which one?

How bad is the tax increase going to be this year and what would be an acceptable increase to you and your family knowing that there will be a reduction in State Aid?
WI father

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

West Islip is a great place to live and raise a family. I think the superintendent is doing a good job and a community focus group is a good idea as lond as it doesnt turn into a taxpac organization like the last one did. Close a school, i guess the one that is the oldest/most in need of repair? or the one with the least amount of students?
Tax increase, id be willing to go 4-5% if it keeps quality programs and services, but from what I have read, we are not going to get that choice if the governor imposes the tax cap of 2% across the state, then we can only be raised 2%. Question is, is that going to be enough to keep our schools strong? Not in favor of the cap. It takes away our voice and our vote. and at the same time the state will decrease our aide. District will be squeezed from both sides. less state aide less tax revenue. With out a salary freeze we are screwed.
Nolan Waste

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

Judged:

WI father wrote:
Tax increase, id be willing to go 4-5% if it keeps quality programs and services, but from what I have read, we are not going to get that choice if the governor imposes the tax cap of 2% across the state, then we can only be raised 2%. Question is, is that going to be enough to keep our schools strong?
Do more with less and stop your liberal garbage. You'd be willing to pay 4-5% more in taxes, then good for you, MOVE! Look around, people are struggling and you want to pay more. I guess when Nolan gives you bogus jobs for pay it is easy to want to pay more out of guilt.
Source

Queens Village, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

Judged:

Nolan Waste wrote:
<quoted text>
Do more with less and stop your liberal garbage. You'd be willing to pay 4-5% more in taxes, then good for you, MOVE! Look around, people are struggling and you want to pay more. I guess when Nolan gives you bogus jobs for pay it is easy to want to pay more out of guilt.
Do you have a solution? Do you actually have an answer, that makes sense and can be executed? I get it, you're the type of person who points their finger and jumps up and down and cries "foul", but doesn't actually have an answer on how to do it better. Just sitting in the bleachers, wanting to be a player, but doesn't actually have nerve to do it.....right? Betcha "armchair quarterback" on Monday mornings too.

WI Dad has it right. With a 2% tax cap, the only people who will suffer will be the students of West Islip. We essentially have no voice, our taxes will go up by 2% every year (why even vote on a school budget........it's irrelevant now) and the quality of the education our kids receive will go down b/c teacher's salaries alone go up by 3% on a COLA increase as dictated by their contracts. So now what, what would be your solution to this problem? And please, the solution must be executable plan.....no flights of fancy, conspiracy theories, but a solution based on the facts. No? Don't have one? I thought so. No, you don't have any executable solutions..........you just know how to point fingers and call names (I think we call that a bully, where I come from).
Concerned Parent

Livingston, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

Source wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a solution? Do you actually have an answer, that makes sense and can be executed? I get it, you're the type of person who points their finger and jumps up and down and cries "foul", but doesn't actually have an answer on how to do it better. Just sitting in the bleachers, wanting to be a player, but doesn't actually have nerve to do it.....right? Betcha "armchair quarterback" on Monday mornings too.
WI Dad has it right. With a 2% tax cap, the only people who will suffer will be the students of West Islip. We essentially have no voice, our taxes will go up by 2% every year (why even vote on a school budget........it's irrelevant now) and the quality of the education our kids receive will go down b/c teacher's salaries alone go up by 3% on a COLA increase as dictated by their contracts. So now what, what would be your solution to this problem? And please, the solution must be executable plan.....no flights of fancy, conspiracy theories, but a solution based on the facts. No? Don't have one? I thought so. No, you don't have any executable solutions..........you just know how to point fingers and call names (I think we call that a bully, where I come from).
Albany and DC need to get in the game, freeze all wage increases and drop all of the unfunded mandates that are out there until they can be "funded" or the economic situation improves and they can be placed back in without hurting the budget or students.

Enrollment is going down, how much could we save by closing down a school? There has to be money there based on maintenance staff, teachers, utilities, etc.

People need to attend the budget meetings and voice their opinions about what they would like to see, otherwise, I have a feeling that there will be less out there for the students. I feel that clubs and sports may be affected this year and we are going to see an increase in class sizes again.
west islip Dad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

Concerned Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Albany and DC need to get in the game, freeze all wage increases and drop all of the unfunded mandates that are out there until they can be "funded" or the economic situation improves and they can be placed back in without hurting the budget or students.
Enrollment is going down, how much could we save by closing down a school? There has to be money there based on maintenance staff, teachers, utilities, etc.
People need to attend the budget meetings and voice their opinions about what they would like to see, otherwise, I have a feeling that there will be less out there for the students. I feel that clubs and sports may be affected this year and we are going to see an increase in class sizes again.
This is absolutely correct on all points. A salary freeze both step increases and negotiated wage increases is the ONLY way the school district will navigate through a tax cap and the decreased aid. The question is will the governor impose a wage freeze or will the union volunteer to do so as some districts have. The governor is the only one who has the power to do it state wide. I also believe we will see larger classes and less available programs.

The closing of a building has been done before. Southgate elementary was turned into rainbow village for housing, so the district sold that propeerty. Massera was closed and then leased to boces, so they receive some revenue in rent. Will it save money? I think thats what the syudy group will decide.
Concerned Parent

Livingston, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2011

west islip Dad wrote:
<quoted text>
This is absolutely correct on all points. A salary freeze both step increases and negotiated wage increases is the ONLY way the school district will navigate through a tax cap and the decreased aid. The question is will the governor impose a wage freeze or will the union volunteer to do so as some districts have. The governor is the only one who has the power to do it state wide. I also believe we will see larger classes and less available programs.
The closing of a building has been done before. Southgate elementary was turned into rainbow village for housing, so the district sold that propeerty. Massera was closed and then leased to boces, so they receive some revenue in rent. Will it save money? I think thats what the syudy group will decide.
Wage Freeze, good luck, Teachers Volunteering to freeze, highly doubt it, the closest we got to that was when the Teachers Union agreed to kickback dollars in order to save some of the newer teacherís positions and it was no where near a wage freeze.

Should only be a short time till we find out what the new Governor plans on doing and then will have to see what the BOE and the new Super decides to do. Again, sports, clubs, and class sizes will be a major driver to all of this and closing a school may help in the long term but will have no bearing on the next budget as there is no way that it can be done by September 2011.

I hope the public chooses to attend the Budget Sessions that the BOE has so the word can get out as to what the thought process was behind forming the budget, we shall see.
practical

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

I think the "business as usual", make pretend we made an effort to control salaries "to get a large pension golden parachute" on the backs of residents and junior teachers should continue. If the lame, ignorant people of this community wont make the effort to educate themselves and fight for thier OWN children and neighbors then they deserve this perpetual fleecing.
wiser

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

practical wrote:
I think the "business as usual", make pretend we made an effort to control salaries "to get a large pension golden parachute" on the backs of residents and junior teachers should continue. If the lame, ignorant people of this community wont make the effort to educate themselves and fight for thier OWN children and neighbors then they deserve this perpetual fleecing.
I agree
PERPETUAL CHANGES

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

practical wrote:
Even though in the next post you agree with yourself, I also agree with you. We need a perpetual change in West Islip so that the same people don't keep making things worse!!!
Lmao

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

The unions and tenure needs to go
Concerned Parent

Livingston, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

District - West Islip
2010-11 Budget -$104,104,887
Proposed cut for 2011-12 -$3,091,834
% decrease from 2010-11 - 11.94
% of 2010-11 budget the cut would represent - 2.97
2010-11 unrestricted reserves -$904,718

So now the fun starts, the above numbers are just what the state will not be giving us this year and do not take into account any increases to union contracts, guessing that the actual number that we will need to make up will be somewhere around 5 million.

Get ready for a double digit tax increase or a drastic reduction in services, sports, and an increase in classroom size across the district. I do not envy the new superintendent; will be interesting to see what he comes up with for making up the difference.

To see all of Long Island use this link:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/education/...

concerned mom

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

I think the proposed cut is closer to $4m as the state funding was about $30m last year
west islip dad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Concerned Parent wrote:
District - West Islip
2010-11 Budget -$104,104,887
Proposed cut for 2011-12 -$3,091,834
% decrease from 2010-11 - 11.94
% of 2010-11 budget the cut would represent - 2.97
2010-11 unrestricted reserves -$904,718
So now the fun starts, the above numbers are just what the state will not be giving us this year and do not take into account any increases to union contracts, guessing that the actual number that we will need to make up will be somewhere around 5 million.
Get ready for a double digit tax increase or a drastic reduction in services, sports, and an increase in classroom size across the district. I do not envy the new superintendent; will be interesting to see what he comes up with for making up the difference.
To see all of Long Island use this link:
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/education/...
You forgot the pension contribution and increased health benefits the state is imposing on the district which I believe to be about a 3mill. increase. They are looking at a 7million dollar deficit i believe. no doubt cuts to programs, loss of jobs.
Why

Amityville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

If the board and the teachers knew that we could not afford last years salaries why did they push for more knowing it would hurt so many?
teacher here

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

didnt "push" for anything. o% raise this year. Rising costs such as pension and health care costs are not known year to year. The state sets the rates based upon ecomomics, and tell the districts what they will be contributing. so, districts and boards negotiate contracts using best "guestimates". reality is wi teachers are lowest paid in suffolk county.
Mr Kotter

Southampton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2011

I know we can do more with less.
Why

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2011

teacher here wrote:
didnt "push" for anything. o% raise this year. Rising costs such as pension and health care costs are not known year to year. The state sets the rates based upon ecomomics, and tell the districts what they will be contributing. so, districts and boards negotiate contracts using best "guestimates". reality is wi teachers are lowest paid in suffolk county.
How much do the "lowest paid teachers in suffolk county" make?
Nicole Jim Merlo

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2011

Well, drugs are the thank in islip these days. my boyz sell alot of dope in islip big customers most on Welfare and workers compensation fraud.
Why

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2011

Judged:

teacher here wrote:
(P.S.) Don't start bringing in radical concepts like "reality" into this conversation. If this district didn't sign away it's most improtant tool to control costs,(the ability to post ALL job openings availabe from janitor to super on the NYTimes + newsday "Help Wanted"sections, paper and online additions, regaurdless of it ultimately gets filled in house)and then posts the results at the end of each year in the WISD newslwtter + Website for pulic confidence, it would not be so easy to sign away struggilng commuinty residents taxmoney at rates that don't refect the supply of top notch employees thoughout our area.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 101
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Islip Discussions

Search the West Islip Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 21 min teddy Joe McCarthy cruz 6,341
Review: Secrets Secrets (Jul '13) 1 hr Lisa 15
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 4 hr death b4 dishonor 1,312
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 10 hr Redumblican Teabagger 6,359
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 12 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 16 hr Bruser 2,256
56th Fighter Group Restaurant to Shut Down (Jul '12) Tue John Trickey 8
•••
•••

West Islip News Video

•••
•••

West Islip Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••