33 million Americans now only use cell phones at home

Full story: Newsday 26
As mortgage banker Michael Balberchak received raises over the last several years, the 39-year-old moved to better apartments. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HereOnLI

Forest Hills, NY

#1 Feb 28, 2008
VERIZON SUCKS AND NOW I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THOSE CROOKS.
Get a clue

Fort Lee, NJ

#2 Feb 28, 2008
Good luck in a power failure. No power, no cell site, no service.
Old Timer

Norwalk, CT

#3 Feb 28, 2008
I have never owned a cell phone and never will. I carry some quarters for a payphone. If you want to talk to me call me on the land line. If I want to talk to you I'll pick it up.

I can't imagine why everybody is always gabbing on a cell phone. There can't be that much gossip to spread. Man, today's folks are strange.
COCO

New York, NY

#4 Feb 28, 2008
Get a clue wrote:
Good luck in a power failure. No power, no cell site, no service.
Yeah what will we do that one day every 3 years when that happens?

I'm scared!
Robert

AOL

#5 Feb 28, 2008
COCO wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm scared!
Ditto, So one day every every year people will have to coverse face to face (what a novel concept). People talk too much anyway - and say nothing.
Get a clue

Fort Lee, NJ

#6 Feb 28, 2008
COCO wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm scared!
You must not on LIPA power...
Yakkity yak

Glen Cove, NY

#7 Feb 28, 2008
Old Timer wrote:
I have never owned a cell phone and never will. I carry some quarters for a payphone.
I can't imagine why everybody is always gabbing on a cell phone. There can't be that much gossip to spread. Man, today's folks are strange.
I agree with you. Who needs to talk so much? I know plenty of women who cannot drive without slapping on their headset and calling someone. Also, remember when people used to read books or newspaper while riding the train? Now there is more mouth noise than track noise. But I think you should get a cell phone nonetheless. I used to carry quarters but I have found that pay phones are quickly disappearing!
rodeo

Lindenhurst, NY

#9 Feb 28, 2008
Yakkity yak wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. Who needs to talk so much? I know plenty of women who cannot drive without slapping on their headset and calling someone. Also, remember when people used to read books or newspaper while riding the train? Now there is more mouth noise than track noise. But I think you should get a cell phone nonetheless. I used to carry quarters but I have found that pay phones are quickly disappearing!
I used to rent an apt. and had both a land line and a cell phone...on my land line I got more solitations than real phone calls...5 years ago I bought a house (way under market value) and never hooked up my land line...don't miss it a bit...no solitations, don't have to worry who is using it while I'm not home, etc. and have never had any problem buying a car, or opening a credit card without a landline, have a computer, no problem...they just accept your cell #...would probably never have another land line...waste of money.
LIer

Hicksville, NY

#11 Feb 28, 2008
Old Timer wrote:
I have never owned a cell phone and never will. I carry some quarters for a payphone. If you want to talk to me call me on the land line. If I want to talk to you I'll pick it up.
Hey old timer, I'm one too, but you can't be serious about using a pay phone. I carry one because I have an 80 mile round trip commute and I couldn't imagine looking for a pay phone if my car broke down.
The_LI_5150_Guy

Bellerose, NY

#12 Feb 28, 2008
The ONLY reason why I still have a landline is in the event of a power outage. All my calls are made on my cell phone.
PR_Flack_In_Trai ning

New York, NY

#13 Feb 28, 2008
I have my own little small biz, sometimes working at home but more often out of clients' offices. Having a cellphone as the primary business number has been a good thing for me.

The trade-off is that it's more difficult to conference calls but that's my fault for not learning the buttons on my circa 2006 Nokia cellphone. Many times I can see who's calling, and I can also do text messaging thru the cell phone.
Get current

Fremont, CA

#14 Feb 28, 2008
Old Timer wrote:
Hey, Old Timer, do you also have a black and white TV with rabbit ears, a rotary phone, and a stereo system with a record player and an 8-track player?? HA!!!
LIer

Hicksville, NY

#15 Feb 28, 2008
Get current wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Old Timer, do you also have a black and white TV with rabbit ears, a rotary phone, and a stereo system with a record player and an 8-track player?? HA!!!
Hey, if he owned all that, he'd make a killing on ebay!
mee

United States

#17 Feb 28, 2008
write something intertesting ..please
yeahright

Raleigh, NC

#18 Feb 28, 2008
Mike Hock wrote:
I hope you all die in a car crash while blabbing on your cell phones.
god damn self important freaks !
LOL!!!
Hank Rubin

Denver, IN

#19 Feb 28, 2008
Monthly cell phone bills average two to three times those for residential phones. Thats why I refeuse to rent to applicants with only a cell number. It makes me think they are foolish about money, and by implication a bad risk.
cynical

Paterson, NJ

#20 Feb 28, 2008
Hank Rubin wrote:
Monthly cell phone bills average two to three times those for residential phones. Thats why I refeuse to rent to applicants with only a cell number. It makes me think they are foolish about money, and by implication a bad risk.
You're really not thinking it through. They're actually beinig frugal by not having two phone bills, and keeping only the service that is most useful to them. In terms of watching their money, it's not foolish at all.
cell phones on LI roads

West New York, NJ

#21 Feb 28, 2008
It is truly amazing -- out of the 188 million cell phones in use, more than 100 million appear to be used at any given moment on LI roads by LI drivers. LI talkers obviously have more to say than the time to say it. Please don't let this information get to the police, because they'll fine each of those illegal cell phone users big bucks, which could totally eliminate the need for property taxes and sales taxes. So mum's the word, OK?
Mitch

Seattle, WA

#22 Feb 29, 2008
Local Zoning boards need to be cognizant of the trend to go wireless when considering application from wireless service providers. What was once the industry norn (outdoor coverage) is no longer sufficient to meet the needs of the wireless user community. Wireless services are not simply voice any more. Data (email), music, photos, videos and news feeds are using a considerable chunk of bandwidth and ultimately more rather than fewer sites will be needed to accomodate citizen needs.
nobodys fool

Coram, NY

#23 Feb 29, 2008
the bottom line is... everyone has gotten screwed by verizon and guess what,we are in a day and age where we dont need verizon anymore (they never dreamt that possible as they owned all the copper on the streets)
ever open your verizon bill,page after page of this tax..that tax..and always a disputed call where they went off the deep end to screw you on.

i got rid of them years ago and use vonage now,goodbye and good riddence verizon !!!

kudo's to people who only use cell phones,why pay for a cell phone and a land line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) 2 hr Kevywright 56
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 12 hr Bruser 2,363
Got kicked from the college need money, selling... 23 hr fred666 3
Man Found Dead in Jail Cell (Feb '12) Sat AllAboutTheBenjamins 10
Mosque at old Citibank location on Bedford?` Sat Frankie 1
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Sat Bruser 7,934
Six LI Catholic Elementary Schools to Close (Dec '11) Fri 31 years an RN 266
West Hills Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web