First Prev
of 10
Next Last
disappointed

Raleigh, NC

#1 Jan 11, 2009
Whats goin on with our prep bball program? Our coach has been here since 85 or 86' & what kind of record has he compiled during his tenure? Look at the wins this year & think if its time for a change!
If theres any doubt; just slip in the gym & watch 1 of those 'practice' sessions.... Elementary school coaches seem to have better results...Is it the kids or the coaches? What do yall think?
Cheap Seater

Ellicott City, MD

#2 Jan 15, 2009
From what I've seen it's both. There have been some coaching issues. I mean, come on, how do you blow a 10 pt. lead in the waning minutes of a game? But, the players don't seem to have it together either. Some talent but they don't work as a team. You could say it is either one and be right but it is more a combination, lack of coaching and desire to play. There is more, but for right not the only thing that can be said is they suck.

Since: Mar 09

Des Moines, IA

#3 Mar 27, 2009
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. The kids do not suck!!!!! There is not much talent, but a TRUE COACH should be able to coach anyone and improve their skills. Coach Toney obviously cannot do this!!! I have watched him for years and I can only say that we definitely need to REPLACE him!!! Do you know that he physically has abused the kids? He doesn't have a right to be aggravated!!! Has he done ANYTHING for this program at all????? Coach K would make a much better coach because he knows how to relate to these kids. Coach T does not have that ability. His personal choices in his own life just make me sick. We as a family have tried to help, but he feels as if he is infallible and until he goes, the program will continue to stagnate.
been there

Mount Ulla, NC

#4 Apr 13, 2009
i hav seen the talent that wf has had in the past couple of years. Mr. Toney does a good job with his talent that he has at the time.Unfortanetly we are seeing some of the talent that he has to work with. He spends countless hours in the gym. He loves to coach. If you watched this years team you could see improvement from the start of the year to the end of the year. Try coaching a bunch of kids who can't shoot or pass very good and rebound when you don't have any size to speak of. you try it. we can all coach from the bleachers. get behind our coach don't run him off!
Homeboy

Center, MO

#5 Apr 18, 2009
Yup. Like I once heard long time all around Hrrin Coach now JALC Girls Softball Team's Head Coach Bruce Jilek say. Anyone can coach talent.
CZR football

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Apr 19, 2009
rumraisin wrote:
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. The kids do not suck!!!!! There is not much talent, but a TRUE COACH should be able to coach anyone and improve their skills. Coach Toney obviously cannot do this!!! I have watched him for years and I can only say that we definitely need to REPLACE him!!! Do you know that he physically has abused the kids? He doesn't have a right to be aggravated!!! Has he done ANYTHING for this program at all????? Coach K would make a much better coach because he knows how to relate to these kids. Coach T does not have that ability. His personal choices in his own life just make me sick. We as a family have tried to help, but he feels as if he is infallible and until he goes, the program will continue to stagnate.
apparently you guys don't know coach toney very well or know what you are talking about. he now has the record for most wins at frankfort. he works harder than any coach around. anybody in high school sports(coaches,refs, and former players), which obviously you morons aren't, knows how good of a coach and person he truly is
country girl

Severn, MD

#7 Apr 19, 2009
CZR football wrote:
<quoted text>
apparently you guys don't know coach toney very well or know what you are talking about. he now has the record for most wins at frankfort. he works harder than any coach around. anybody in high school sports(coaches,refs, and former players), which obviously you morons aren't, knows how good of a coach and person he truly is
This sounds like coach Toney wrote this! I am not a moron and neither are some great basketball players that quit rather than play for him because he is a phony, liar and a cheat.And yes,I do know him personally.I hate to think of the boys that lost out on scolarships because the students being more mature than he is.
CZR football

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Apr 20, 2009
well you don't know him half as well as I do. plus how is he immature? how is a phony, liar, and cheat? the kids that quit, it's their lose. They are probably kids that cant handle playing for a real coach. A coach that makes them be discipline, a coach that makes them work hard, and a coach that makes the kids respect each other.
graduate from fchs

Coulterville, IL

#9 Apr 20, 2009
Why is all this stuff being written about Coach Toney? I played for the man all four years of HS. I didn't play as much as I thought I should have. But the teammates thought it was about right amount for me. I learned so much about basketball, a job, and to be a better student. Phony, liar, and a cheat? Not Coach Toney. Not then and I doubt not now either.
I Agree

Harned, KY

#10 Apr 20, 2009
I am unfamiliar with this man's coaching skills but I am fully aware of his abusive nature toward the kids. But I wish to say that physical abuse is not the only type of abuse this man displays. He used verbal abuse against my son when my son was in school. A teacher should be a guide not a name caller.
rumraisin wrote:
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. The kids do not suck!!!!! There is not much talent, but a TRUE COACH should be able to coach anyone and improve their skills. Coach Toney obviously cannot do this!!! I have watched him for years and I can only say that we definitely need to REPLACE him!!! Do you know that he physically has abused the kids? He doesn't have a right to be aggravated!!! Has he done ANYTHING for this program at all????? Coach K would make a much better coach because he knows how to relate to these kids. Coach T does not have that ability. His personal choices in his own life just make me sick. We as a family have tried to help, but he feels as if he is infallible and until he goes, the program will continue to stagnate.
I Disagree

Harned, KY

#11 Apr 20, 2009
I am glad to hear that such a man could have a good influence in your life but this man is not what you are portraying him as. He does lie and he does abuse at the very least some of the students. I have seen this with my own eyes.
graduate from fchs wrote:
Why is all this stuff being written about Coach Toney? I played for the man all four years of HS. I didn't play as much as I thought I should have. But the teammates thought it was about right amount for me. I learned so much about basketball, a job, and to be a better student. Phony, liar, and a cheat? Not Coach Toney. Not then and I doubt not now either.
I Disagree

Harned, KY

#12 Apr 20, 2009
Who needs to know a person that they stand in the highschool cafateria verbally abusing a kid and then hearing about numerous other times from several of his other students? Not me!!!!!! Prefer not to know such a disgrace.
CZR football wrote:
<quoted text>
apparently you guys don't know coach toney very well or know what you are talking about. he now has the record for most wins at frankfort. he works harder than any coach around. anybody in high school sports(coaches,refs, and former players), which obviously you morons aren't, knows how good of a coach and person he truly is
I Disagree

Harned, KY

#13 Apr 20, 2009
Is this respect sought through his name calling techniques?
CZR football wrote:
well you don't know him half as well as I do. plus how is he immature? how is a phony, liar, and cheat? the kids that quit, it's their lose. They are probably kids that cant handle playing for a real coach. A coach that makes them be discipline, a coach that makes them work hard, and a coach that makes the kids respect each other.
We played for him

Coulterville, IL

#14 Apr 20, 2009
"Disappointed" wants to talk about Coaches' record since 1985. Great. His record was 2 games under 50% for the eleven years he was frosh. and JV coach. That's in the old south seven. Practices? Sorry, his practices are closed, except to other coaches.You weren't there. If his practices are so bad, why have other coaches been there writing down things he does with his us. Why was a Saluki ass't coach there watching twice this season? "Rumraisin" has tried to help? He turned you down? He has allowed other folks to help. I wonder why he didn't call you back? Physically abusing kids? That's crossing the line from misinformed to simple libel. If he's so bad, why does he have the respect of coaches like Dick Corn, Ken Crawford, Rich Herrin, Joe Hosman, Randy Smith-Peters and Curt Reed? Have you heard of them? "Spring Valley?" I'll ask Coach Toney if he know anyone from Spring Valley. I doubt if you know him at all. Btw, my buddies and I are writing this. We graduated in '06 and '08. We know cuz we played for him and loved it!
CHS student

Fishers, IN

#15 Apr 20, 2009
I played for this man 2 games in my life and they were both at basketball camp. I dont think that I had ever played harder in a real basketball game than I did for Coach Toney in the 2 that I played at CAMP, when it means nothing. He does a terrific job getting 100% out of every player and if anything I think is under rated. I also played with one kid Simalton in a summer classic game and he is a great player, but obviously it's tough to win in the R to R with just one or 2 guys. Just look at the numbers he has produced.. He is an awesome coach period.
CZR football

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Apr 20, 2009
good. glad to see some people know what they are talking about. he may tough on his kids, but that's the way a coach should be. he gets the most out of his kids day in and day out.

Since: Mar 09

Des Moines, IA

#17 Apr 21, 2009
Of course, even Bobby Knight has his fans. If you played for Coach Toney during the '06 and '08 seasons you obviously know that he had several talented players. Some were HANDED to him and he still could not win against, for goodness sakes we lost to MCCLEANSBORO!!! Remember that? They were so SLOW and were not even a talented team.
So many times he has given the lead away in games that we should have won. I don't understand his game, better yet, or lack there of. I have looked on IHSA and viewed his records. I was not impressed.
One thing I will say which I suppose is a favorable comment regarding the Coach. He does attend all of the summer events with the kids. He alone, is the only coach who accompanies the kids to all of the camps. But that does not win games, or erase the verbal abuse he dishes out. I am hoping that those kids who played for years, and were juniors this year electing not to play, will change their minds and play next year.

Since: Mar 09

St. Louis

#18 Apr 21, 2009
rumraisin wrote:
Of course, even Bobby Knight has his fans. If you played for Coach Toney during the '06 and '08 seasons you obviously know that he had several talented players. Some were HANDED to him and he still could not win against, for goodness sakes we lost to MCCLEANSBORO!!! Remember that? They were so SLOW and were not even a talented team.
So many times he has given the lead away in games that we should have won. I don't understand his game, better yet, or lack there of. I have looked on IHSA and viewed his records. I was not impressed.
One thing I will say which I suppose is a favorable comment regarding the Coach. He does attend all of the summer events with the kids. He alone, is the only coach who accompanies the kids to all of the camps. But that does not win games, or erase the verbal abuse he dishes out. I am hoping that those kids who played for years, and were juniors this year electing not to play, will change their minds and play next year.
So...basicly you are saying that if he had winning seasons you would stop your bitching and be a happy little camper? lol This site cracks me right up. Some of you peoples heads would actually explode if you couldn't bitch every waking minute of the day.
well

United States

#19 Apr 22, 2009
I guess someone doesn't know what a coach is supposed to do? Jesus left along time ago, so what do you expect? When the said talent was 'handed' to him (allegedly) What happened there? How exactly was this talent handed to the team? That's interesting. Care to Elaborate? I'm sure there's people whom would like to know
Outside Observer

Carbondale, IL

#20 Jul 17, 2009
As an outside observer and fan of basketball, my guess is that Coach T's detractors are the same people who sit in the stands and criticize a call after the fact that they were able to see it didn't work. At the same time when a good decision is made they say "of course that was the right move...It was obvious". Coach Toney is one of the hardest working, most dedicated coaches I have met and I have an immense amount of respect for him. The fact of the matter is that it is tough to get a coach to stay with one program for an extended period of time and Coach Toney has done just that. People need to realize how good of a coach he is. There will always be critics that think they can do it better or know someone who could. The idea that a great coach can win with what he has is far fetched and highly unlikely. It is important to have talent as much as some people find that hard to believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot trash man 2 hr Buzzkill 7
neasha Melville (Apr '16) 4 hr Excuse me 12
Looking for a 45-50 man 7 hr Honey lips 1
Northland Collage Closing Doors? 14 hr Someone who knows 7
any ladys single and looking between age 50 an... 14 hr Bren3 7
Freeman Spur Raid?? 14 hr Curious 10
Alyssa Bonstell 22 hr Garrett 2

West Frankfort Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Frankfort Mortgages