twinkles

United States

#41 Mar 31, 2010
......You think Beauty and the Beast was disturbing...that says it all right there!!!!!And this is not "theatre",as you put it,it is a high school play,where children are always present. I do, and have always monitored what my children watch on t.v. You obviously don't!
WF Actor

Davenport, IA

#42 Mar 31, 2010
WOW! I can not believe this. I was one of the students in the show. I can not even believe that the people in our community would talk about us like this. Im very sorry if you didn't like the show... But, honestly, you knew what Grease was about. If you didn't want your kids hearing all of that stuff, you shouldn't have come. We are actors PORTRAYING things. We showed some true talent out on that stage. A lot of the cast members have read all of these posts, and we are shocked. I thank all of the people who have supported us. Yes, this was a risky show. But, it was fun! Our cast did what we were told, and did it pretty well. I do not mean to sound rude, but some of you need to grow up! Some of you even bashed our Directors! Mrs. Levanti and Mrs. Robinson did an outstanding job and to see some of you talking about them truly upsets me. I just hope that you know that this stuff doesn't stay on the internet. It sure is the talk of our cast and many other people in our community. Watch what you say because it can be VERY hurtful.
WAKE UP

Edison, NJ

#43 Mar 31, 2010
The crap people blame on other people in this town never ceases to amaze me. If you went to the play and felt it was too suggestive and mature for your child, then maybe you should have watched the original prior to making the decision to go. It isn't someone elses fault that you chose to take your child to this play and they were subjected to mature content. As far as the high school students...ha ha this is a drop in the bucket compared to what they see and hear everyday in real life. Cigarettes, alcohol, and pregnancy are the issues that most of us as parents delt with when we were kids. Now it's prescription pills, cocaine, meth, crack, etc. There is nothing wrong with teaching young adults how to handle any situation they may come into contact with and yes that includes cigarettes, alcohol, and pregnancy along with many others.
twinkles

United States

#44 Mar 31, 2010
I keep reading about what all our kids hear and see. If this is the case wouldn't it be "nice" for a change to hear and see something else for a change. YOU can not tell me that these talented kids would not have been just as talented in another play. You all act like because sex and drugs are everywhere we are just supposed to love it and get over it. All you chritians want to go to your pastors and ask them what they think? I am not a religious fanatic, but I would bet they would not think much of this play for our young people. It's like something that has been said a million times "if everyone jumped off the cliff, you going to jump too"?
ShockedStudent

Kelseyville, CA

#45 Mar 31, 2010
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Please excuse me I have to wipe my eyes because Iíve been crying from laughing. Ok so Iím one of those horrible thought of students who did the musical. Please let me first apologize for the horrible things you had to see during those 3 hours, Iím so sorry you had to be subjects to everyday life.:í( I know I know you think Iím immature but from my stand point I donít think Iím the most immature person on here. Itís sad to know that high school kids are more mature then some of you bloggers on here. My first reaction to these posts was anger, I mean we busted our butts out there, oh and by the way this IS theatre. All of my friends had to work really hard. But as I started to think about what everyone was putting on here I couldnít help but to laugh at you people. I mean really you have nothing better to do then critic a high school musical about it being too graphic; wow letís take a moment to applaud you. You know itís funny that you mention your 8 year old, well I think everyone has seen grease when they were younger than that, and Iím pretty sure I had no clue what ďGrease LightningĒ meant. My 6 year old cousin came down to watch and she knew every single world to every single song. Also you mentioned something about the directors, ok letís see, if one were to take the script and follow along you would see a lot of things missing. Rump was supposed to moon all you people but we cut that out. And the cigarettes were part of the script. You know what really gets me going is that fact you freak out over being pregnant. Some of my friends are high schoolers and they have or are having kids right now, also do you know how many people smoke or smoke pot. Jeez people grow up and face the facts that that musical wasnít anything compared to the real world. And if you are going to freak out about your precious angel 8 year old child, just wait till those hormones kick in. Until then keep whining!!
Truthfully Noted

Pasadena, MD

#46 Mar 31, 2010
I never should have started this post on TOPIX to get people to come to the show. I knew that the moment after I posted it.
As a student who did perform in the show, I know what was cut and left out so that we wouldn't get a terrible reaction. Maybe next year, we should do veggie tales... Oh wait, then people would complain because it has a christian influence.
If you didn't know the story line of Grease before you went to watch it, it would have taken 5 minutes of the time you spend here on Topix to look it up, so that you were prepared. I don't see why this was such a big deal.
If badmouthing highschool students and their teachers is the best thing people have to do in West Frankfort, then I certainly do not want to live here. Did anyone Drink beer on stage? No. Did anyone smoke a real cig? No. Did anyone really have (pardon my language, you might faint after you read this word) sex during the musical? No.
So what is the big deal?
ShockedStudent

Kelseyville, CA

#47 Mar 31, 2010
twinkles wrote:
My how you do rant and rave. If your language comes from a christian home (B**ch)then I'm glad we don't share the same interest or beliefs. If you take your 8 year old to see a high school play, you don't expect to see them smoking or drinking or talking about "thingys". I have been to many HS plays over the years and you know what they didn't have to have sex in them to be good. If the script had something like that they edited it or toned it down. I don't need to have someone like you lecture me. I did not even start this discussion, another parent was very upset, more so than I. Sounds to me like you are trying way to hard to "defend" your position and frankly I don't care what you think!
If you don't care then why keep posting? please honney, calling someone a B**** and then saying your a Christian, hmmmm. anway i just wanted to welcome you to the 2000's. Out of all the posters on here you are my favorite cuz you go on and on and on, i think you were the one who said lets do Wizard of Oz cuz we did that a couple of years ago. ok fine how about you do Beauty and the Beast again then we can do Hello Dolle. Hello you don't do the same shows back to back. Oh and also me and my pals want to perform Chicago and if you give me your name and number i can get you front row tickets.(Byt the way the directors would never let us do Chicago :'( idk why its such a good musical) YOU BE GOOD TO MOMMA AND MOMMA WILL BE GOOD TO YOU ;)
WF Mom

Davenport, IA

#48 Mar 31, 2010
I think enough has been said on both sides. This has become banter and bashing of posters and not the issue. My son was in the musical and I am very proud of him and all the cast, crew and directors for their hard work and talent. Some of the language was questionable, some of the content was raw, could it have been toned down a little more (because I know for a fact it WAS toned down) maybe....but the point is that the kids performed well. They danced (some for the first time), they remembered their lines and they sang great. If it was offensive to you, I really am sorry for that, but you had every opportunity to get up out of your seat and walk down the aisle and out the door. The same as if you would turn off your t.v. in your home. (I'm sure you would have been reimbursed the price of your ticket) So whether you were for it or against it, at least give the kids credit for doing a great job and stop bashing each other for having a different opinion than your own.
Parent

United States

#49 Mar 31, 2010
I bought over 30 tickets for family and friends out of town. They all loved it. So I hope the kids don't take those few comments from a very limited amount of people to heart. I for one was not offended and I loved the show! Thanks for all the hard work. IT WAS AWESOME! Keep up the hard work and please don't let them change you or change future performances. Don't give negative complaints any power.
knock knock

United States

#50 Mar 31, 2010
Who were the teachers that did the play?
Parent

United States

#51 Mar 31, 2010
Ms. Levanti and Ms. Robinson. They are two great teachers. We sometimes hear how teachers don't care. We'll, here are two that care, and they are very uplifting to our kids.
knock knock

United States

#52 Mar 31, 2010
I know Mrs. Levanti but not Robinson. Is her name Becky? Does she teach at the highschool?
Parent

United States

#53 Mar 31, 2010
knock knock wrote:
I know Mrs. Levanti but not Robinson. Is her name Becky? Does she teach at the highschool?
Elizabeth, yes she teaches at the HS. Maiden name was Herman
WF Actor

Davenport, IA

#54 Mar 31, 2010
Thanks to all who enjoyed the show. That is exactly why we did it. I agree that this is all childish! But, whoever said that this wasn't "theatre", I strongly disagree. That is totally theatre. In fact, I was offered a music/theatre scholarship after one of the shows. I don't think that the music professor would have offered me a music/THEATRE scholarship if it wasn't THEATRE.
JENA2011

Kingston, PA

#55 Mar 31, 2010
twinkles wrote:
<quoted text>You are truly "lost". I don't know about you but I would not want to take my 8 year old to the school play and then have to go home and explain all this stuff to him or her. That should come when you think it's time not when it is dictated by a high school musical!
Kids are exposed to sexually explicit content EVERYDAY. You cannot hide it forever!! Hell, Your EIGHT year old probably knows more about sex than you think, and if he/she doesn't then maybe they should!! If you havent realized it, the kids this generation are starting to be VERY sexually active at a VERY young age, so MAYBE you should be the responsible parent and stop BITCHING and tell your kid!!
Actress in the musical

United States

#56 Mar 31, 2010
Um for you immature bloggers that keep dissing us kids and my AWESOME teachers.... ya'll need to grow up! Don't be fooled... mostly all kids around here know what sex, cigarettes, and whatever else was said in the play is. It makes me mad seeing all of you dumb people mouthing us kids for doing what we we're told to do. We had fun, bottom line. Apparently, none of you have seen the original movie. It is much worse than what was performed. We even cut a few words out of the script but I guess it didn't make you gossipers happy enough. Grease shows what teenagers have been like and are like now. This stuff happens... and your kid will have to know about it someday. Right? If you didn't want your kid to see it..... then you shouldn't of brought them. Stop mouthing us innocent kids. We love the producers of this show. They worked hard to get us kids to pull this musical together! Shame on the people that didn't like our good work effort. Stop acting like you aren't talking about us rather our teachers. If you mouth them, you are mouthing us!
Ridiculous

Saint Louis, MO

#57 Mar 31, 2010
Ok this might be the most rediculous argument i have ever been apart of, first Twinkles and WF Parent you guys are rediculous....Grease is a movie about sex, cigarettes, and beer why would the play be any different? Also the movie was PG! For all of you small minded people that means Parental Guidance meaning that kids can see it with and adult...Look you all knew what was in the movie so why would you bring your kids to it if you knew of everything thats in it? I know the kids worked hard but other people that worked jsut as hard were Mrs. Levanti and Mrs. Robinson, they did a fantastic job weather you want to shoot them down or not...I can't believe this crap...
JENA2011

Kingston, PA

#58 Mar 31, 2010
My god Twinkles Get the corn cob out of your bible huggin ass, open your dusty eye lids to the world, and realize that your OLD days are OVER. This is a NEW GENERATION, If your 8 year old doesnt know about sex, drugs, or alcohol then you need to tell he/she, or they will find out on their own. You shouldve been a more responsible parent and checked up on the RATING on 'Grease' Instead you didnt, Its your own FAULT YOU OLD HAG. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS! YOU DONT NEED TO BE A BITCH ABOUT THE PLAY. THE 'YOUNG ADULTS' DID A GREAT JOB. MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE LETTING THEM KNOW THAT!! INSTEAD YOUR ONLINE COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW SEXUAL IT WAS! LIFE IS SEXUAL. GET OVER IT.
JENA2011

Kingston, PA

#59 Mar 31, 2010
Anyways, Since ALL the people who were in the play are on facebook writing about how horrible you people are, maybe you should be apologizing for putting them down. They did an awesome job, I may have only saw half the show, cause i was sick, but they did awesome.. The greatest play I've ever seen, I walk the halls of school everyday and its just like the play, its very cool to see how much time has and hasn't changed.
tellmeaboutitstu d

United States

#60 Mar 31, 2010
Everyone who has complained about the show get a life..seriously the people that complained is probably on this website 24/7 just criticizing people, and making people feel like crap, if you have nothing better to do get on a website that people enjoy being put down. But the kids(including me) put a lot of effort into this show and i know the rest of the cast would not appreciate the posts on this website. We worked on this play for over 3 months..WE wanted the fake CIGARETTES and ROOT BEER..because we thought it would make the show alot better because they are PROPS. GET a LIFE...the two WONDERFUL teachers that put it on care about our opinion. You should have known the show was not suitable for children..Even though i watched this show when i was like 3 and i thought nothing of it..But if you wouldnt let your child watch the movie why would you take them to see the musical? Just saying this musical was amazing and im proud of everyone who was involved in it!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Frankfort Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2nd Baptist Church 28 min Looking in 30
Darryl Taylor 3 hr Agreed 4
public hangings 5 hr Dadvocate 5
WFHS Basketball 12 hr Darnell 3
kim herpingoldsby 16 hr Buzzkill 31
Jason Burnett single? 22 hr Yuck 10
Dead horses Sun Loser 39

West Frankfort Jobs

Personal Finance

West Frankfort Mortgages