Bikers Urge Motorists to Pay Closer A...

Bikers Urge Motorists to Pay Closer Attention

There are 25 comments on the 5News KFSM story from Apr 8, 2010, titled Bikers Urge Motorists to Pay Closer Attention. In it, 5News KFSM reports that:

Motorcycle season has just begun and already, several people have been killed on area roadways.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 5News KFSM.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert

West Fork, AR

#2 Apr 8, 2010
David: You've been passed by cars that do the same thing. Bike meets car and it's no secret who wins that battle 99 percent of the time. This article was written simply to encourage drivers to be more attentive towards motorcycles.
Robin

Prairie Grove, AR

#4 Apr 8, 2010
I have only been riding a short time but have had two close calls on my bike, both involved cars turning or pulling out just feet from me. I was lucky, there was no contact. The respect DOES need to go both ways, but being more aware alway goes a LONG way towards safety!

That being said, I don't speed in my car OR on my bike and I always wear my helmet!
Claude Dickson

Vidor, TX

#5 Apr 8, 2010
Ronald Greene was a close friend for over 44 years and someone my wife and I were looking foward to seeing in June. We take a bike trip each year and swing through Arkansas to include Ronny. It was an unfortunate accident. He will be missed. Please drive carefully and be mindful of the bikers that share the road.
Anonymous

Fort Smith, AR

#7 Apr 8, 2010
Everybody is always so concerned about motorcycle riders. What about the children in my neighborhood who are out riding there bicycles when motorcycle riders come down the street doing 60 and the speed limit is 25? What about the motorcycle riders who weave in and out of traffic when there's just inches to spare between vehicles? What about those that sway their bikes back and forth in their lane as they're riding down the road. I'm tired of people whining about watching out for motorcycles when they put themselves in just as much danger by the way they ride. Come on, you know the risks that you're taking when you get on the bike. You're just asking for trouble, especially if you’re not wearing a helmet. Motorcycles should be outlawed! I know that there are a few responsible riders but the majority that I see act completely crazy when they’re riding.
My heart goes out to any family who loses a loved one, no matter what the reason for loss is. It's always hard to lose a loved one, but folks, we've got to use some common sense when it comes to driving on the road, whether in a car or on a bike.
Les

Van Buren, AR

#8 Apr 8, 2010
I'd say 95% of the time it is driver error in the vehicle. I was on Rogers Ave in Fort Smith in outside lane and a woman in the inside lane turned in front of me. No signal, didn't brake or anything, just turned other traffic, besides me had to slam their brakes. I locked up front and rear brakes and slid into curb. Please pay attention, be courteous. I have 2 children and a wife. I ride because I love it and I also save money (gas). I dont ride to be stupid and stunt, or to be hurt by someone else not paying attention. When I pass a car or truck and I'm speeding its because I see someone talking on the phone or eating a burger or something and i want to get away from that vehicle asap. Everyone needs to pay more attention including us bikers. Thanks and God Bless.
Jena

Fayetteville, AR

#11 Apr 8, 2010
Just slow down, look twice, turn the radio down where you can hear what is going on around you! These are Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Sisters to someone they mean the world! Their/your lifes can't be replaced!
juggalo

Fort Smith, AR

#12 Apr 8, 2010
bottom line is that people are to stupid to be careful,makeup,phone,hurry,doe sn't matter what you say cause it has been the same thing every year.And still yet you still have morons out there hitting bikers and ones on bikecycles.
Heck it is like telling people to not drive in water,and what they do,drive in it,why,they stupid,period.
So keep telling people to be careful,they won't.
Rebel

Searcy, AR

#13 Apr 9, 2010
Hi to all I am a seasond rider and loss of life in any case is trajic everyone looses. Opions vary on how to be safer so I just wanted to add one that was told to me and has saved mine and my wife's life watch stopped vehicals was to watch the wheels you will see them move before you see the body of the car move this is not just for bikers
Anonymous2

Hong Kong

#14 Apr 9, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Everybody is always so concerned about motorcycle riders. What about the children in my neighborhood who are out riding there bicycles when motorcycle riders come down the street doing 60 and the speed limit is 25? What about the motorcycle riders who weave in and out of traffic when there's just inches to spare between vehicles? What about those that sway their bikes back and forth in their lane as they're riding down the road. I'm tired of people whining about watching out for motorcycles when they put themselves in just as much danger by the way they ride. Come on, you know the risks that you're taking when you get on the bike. You're just asking for trouble, especially if you’re not wearing a helmet. Motorcycles should be outlawed! I know that there are a few responsible riders but the majority that I see act completely crazy when they’re riding.
My heart goes out to any family who loses a loved one, no matter what the reason for loss is. It's always hard to lose a loved one, but folks, we've got to use some common sense when it comes to driving on the road, whether in a car or on a bike.
Outlawed? Really? Kinda harsh don't you think? Guns are often used to harm people too, do you also want them taken away? Chainsaws account for a good number of injuries each year too, maybe we should outlaw them as well? There are millions of ways one can harm themself or others but by suggesting they be outlawed, well, that's just asking for more government in everyone's life. How about, people take responsibility for their actions? WOW...I know that this is a new concept to many people these days as we have all been taught the fine art of pointing fingers to avoid blame. My point is that there are people who drive recklessly in their cars as well. I would venture to guess that you probably use your cell phone while driving, guess what? You, my friend, are a distracted driver! Every morning, while on my way to work, I pass a lady that drives with her knee while applying makeup.(Maybe she'll read my comment and get the hint) I have often thought that I should follow her to her place of employment and tell her that I think we should "Outlaw" makeup in cars! In any case, I think keeping the freedom to ride or drive is more important. Already some states have a mandatory class that riders must take which I have mixed feelings about. If the state is mandating that people take a class, that's the first step to taking away yet another freedom. We don't really need the government to save us from ourselves...Do we? How about applying some good ol common sense when operating a car or motorcycle. Watch out for each other out there! Stay safe!
Diane

Fort Smith, AR

#17 Apr 9, 2010
Usually when you read of a motorcyclist getting killed on their bike, if you look closely, if it is a one bike accident where no car was involved, then it is the bikers fault.

But if a bike and a car are involved, and you look closely again, its usually the car's fault.

There are the usual exceptions but I find this to be eerily true for the most part. BTW, helmets do help in the one bike accidents, but from what I have seen, when the bike collides w/ a car, the car wins and a helmet would usually do very little good.

Most bikers obey the traffic laws w/ the exception of speeding but then so do most cars. So where does the primarily responsibilty lie? People in cars need to pay more attention. Stop talking on the phone, texting, eating, thinking about what to fix for dinner, etc. You are in control of a 4000lb machine and if you kill someone w/ it, you not only ruin their lives and their family's lives but likely your own too.

One more thing for those of you in cars who may not realize it: Many bikes weigh up to 800 lbs and when a biker has to slow down alot to see what you are going to do or where you are going to turn, they still have to balance those machines. They dont stay upright all by themselves unless they are on a kickstand or centerstand. Remember that when you think you need to go ahead of that bike. Courtesy would do the world of cars and bikes a world of good and likely save a few lives.
AirDawg

Fort Smith, AR

#18 Apr 9, 2010
Well, Well, What shall I say. Nothing Nasty as the comments I have read about this and that. Main Thing is BE CAREFULLY and SAFE and Let's get whee me are going. I had a brother that lost is life by a Drunk Driver, he was on a motorcycle at 10:00am in the morning. But We did not blame anyone for my brother he is in God's Arms now and the Drunk driver will he is out there somewhere maybe getting more drunk and maybe hurting someone. Cause the State of Texas did nothing to him (13 DUI's) except for a ticket Reckless Drving. Anyway my point we can sit and agree this point and it will remain the same and people will keep doing as they do with all these comments. I just want people to be more careful and safe. Maybe get up a little eariler/
Anon

Country Club Hills, IL

#19 Apr 9, 2010
We all can probably sit here all day and post memories of some car cutting us off, or some biker being stupid, because no matter what you drive or ride, there will always be idiots out there that are not concerned about their own safety. However, that simply means that us on the road that ARE responsible need to do the best we can to look out for everyone, cars, motorcycles, or children. It is a group effort that takes everyone to make it work. Driving is not a right, and can be taken away. When you get in that car, you have accepted a responsibility. Its your decisions and choices that determine if that car is a form of transportation for you and your family, or a lethal weapon capable of destroying lives. I'm not disagreeing that some motorcyclists are setting very bad examples for us, and I don't deny that some are very stupid in the ways that they ride. There is nothing we can do about that, except to give them the room and space they need to avoid an accident. If you are involved in a lethal accident, whether or not whose fault it is, its something you will never forget. Its much easier to slow down and look twice.
Anon

Country Club Hills, IL

#20 Apr 9, 2010
And just to clarify, I am not exempting motorcycle riders from this either. Guys, we have the same responsibility to drive safely as what we expect from the "cagers". Just because your bike has ridiculous acceleration doesn't mean you have to shoot down the street at 3 times the speed limit, zipping in-between cars. You have given a bad name to all motorcycle riders(notice I didn't call you bikers?), and I am ashamed to be thrown in the same group with you. Looking back at just this past week, its obviously time to calm down, grow up, and start behaving responsibly. There are people on here that are ready to out-law all motorcycles because of people like you. You need to realize you are 1/8th the size and visibility of a car. Maybe a car cuts you off. Oh well, it happens. Hopefully you were acting smartly and saved yourself enough space to avoid an accident. My point again is this: we all have the same responsibility whether on bikes or in cars to look out for each other. Please everyone, be careful. Let's avoid having any more of our friends and families funerals.
Gary

Greenwood, AR

#21 Apr 10, 2010
That is exactly what the article says to do. I'm sure there are alot of annoying crazy riders out there, but that doesnt excuse killing them. A car will stop before a bike, and a bike cant avoid a car if it's coming in their lane. Plain and simple. Don't be a jerk off and make it more complicated. "reaching for a soda" or playing wtih your phone is not a good enough reason to risk someones life
Monica

Van Buren, AR

#22 Apr 10, 2010
I don't know when drivers are going to learn that multitasking and driveing are just as dangerous as drinking and driveing!!! Anything that pulls your attention away from the road for even a second can cause an accident, so please watch what is around you. I have alot of friends who ride motorcycles and this sort of thing makes me concerned for their safety.
Monica

Van Buren, AR

#23 Apr 10, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Bikes don't need to be outlawed there just need to be more people with common sense used on a bike....and in a car....cars can cause just as much damage if not more from speeding through neighborhoods or being in a hurry. I know because I have been hit from behind in my truck because the gentleman simply did not react (didn't total it) and my husband was rear ended by a woman digging for her cell phone (it totalled both cars). I have ridden with my husband on the back of our Harley in two weekend runs so far and all the bikes involved observed the speed limits and were responsible drivers. I am taking a class right now on Motorcycle Safety and proper riding. I think all motorcycle riders should have to take a class of some sort before getting on a bike because ultimately the biker is the one who has to watch out for everything and everyone. You cannot trust everyone to watch out for you just like on a bicycle.
abc

Van Buren, AR

#25 Apr 11, 2010
Gary wrote:
That is exactly what the article says to do. I'm sure there are alot of annoying crazy riders out there, but that doesnt excuse killing them. A car will stop before a bike, and a bike cant avoid a car if it's coming in their lane. Plain and simple. Don't be a jerk off and make it more complicated. "reaching for a soda" or playing wtih your phone is not a good enough reason to risk someones life
Yeah like you never done that Gary...you never been distracted? It is easy to do we all need to be more careful. But just like the the guy said earlier look twice before you move. You risk your life and someone else's everytime you drive Gary. Bikers need to also not follow so close so they can have a better reaction time. Bikers and Drivers of Automobiles need to be more aware of their surroundings and pay more attention to the other drivers...plain and simple....
David

Sheridan, AR

#26 Apr 12, 2010
Robert, The bad part about what I wrote is I ride too. I have been riding since i was 16 so that almost 13 years now. I was on 540 Sunday and a kid passed me on a sport bike. He passed me between me and another car on the center line. I think people do need to watch out bikes. This is the same kid that was riding wheelie's on 540 at 75+ MPH There are the people that give bikers a black eye.
Jena

Fayetteville, AR

#27 Apr 12, 2010
WE ALL NEED TO BE MORE CAREFUL AND WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLE AND OTHER DRIVERS!!! I WANTA GO HOME TO MY FAMILY TONIGHT!! HOW ABOUT YOU?
Sandy

Springdale, AR

#28 Apr 12, 2010
We all need to just pay attention to the road and our surroundings leaving the distractions for the stops. I am praying for all involved as this accident changed so many lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Fork Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Question for every reader ... by Rupert B Jiggl... 7 min please 3
Trump 47.3%, Clintoon 41.7% 12 min Rupert B Jigglebo... 10
POST DEBATE discussion 1 hr Barton Farley 140
News Teacher arrested for having sex with 13-year-ol... 1 hr guest 131
No debate -- Trump won the debate -- it's official 1 hr Youare the Problem 46
How many Hillary lies about her servers? (Jun '15) 1 hr Mr Guest 1,692
Obama, Clinton Selling Out U.S. Sovereignty in ... 1 hr DemonsGiveAwayUS 2

West Fork Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance