Fatal Accident On I-235

Fatal Accident On I-235

There are 12 comments on the WHOtv story from Oct 7, 2010, titled Fatal Accident On I-235. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Emergency crews are responding to a fatal accident on I-235 in West Des Moines. Four cars were involved in the accident in the eastbound lanes near the 50th Street on ramp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

Sad

Columbus, GA

#1 Oct 7, 2010
Very sad for the family..

I just wish we had cars like we did in the 50s-70s . Yes they were gas guzzlers but were built like tanks.. Look how bad that Hyundai is ripped apart..

No the older cars didn't prevent all fatalities, but today's cars are so cheaply made that they just crumble in a wreck.
CarsAreBetterNow

West Des Moines, IA

#2 Oct 7, 2010
I disagree... Cars are actually built safer now. Fatalities have been reduced because the impact is absorbed by the vehicle instead of the passengers.

The difference is also that there is a larger difference between large and small vehicles, especially more people driving SUVs and such. People still got killed back then if they were hit by a larger vehicle.
I disagree

Cloquet, MN

#3 Oct 8, 2010
I disagree with you. Cars used to be made of steel and metal now they are all fiberglass. They are made lighter and less solid to help with save gas. and the difference between larger and smaller vehicles is that there are more smaller vehicles being made. and because of gas prices a few years back and this global warming bologna fewer people are driving SUVs. None the less, this is not the debate to have because the main point is that some one lost a child, parent, sibling today and it is sad.
AnkenyLiving

Des Moines, IA

#4 Oct 8, 2010
The idea that cars are mostly made of fiberglass is plainly false. Few are made this way, mostly high-end sports cars like Corvette. The korean subcompact that was involved in this crash uses metal stamped body panels, like almost all cars/trucks made today still do.
This is really about size - a small subcompact regardless of how safe it may be rated (those ratings are only within it's own segment) will never be as safe as a larger truck or suv. This is part of the choice you make when you buy a small car, it is less safe that larger cars/trucks.
John

San Francisco, CA

#5 Oct 8, 2010
I was 2 cars behind this accident! Thank you god for keeping me safe! It was very sad to witness. Seeing the poor old lady dead in the passenger seat was a very eary sight! I pray for the families!
West Des Moines

Des Moines, IA

#6 Oct 8, 2010
I saw the accident yesterday driving home from work. I knew someone had died in that accident it just looked too bad. Many people put the blame on small cars, but if everyone drove one, there wouldn't be fatalities. This death was caused by a large steel tank hitting a sub-compact car. It was the shear size of the SUV that created the unsurvivable force. This death was also created by someone driving too fast and too close and not paying attention to the road. We all need to do our part in keeping alert on the road and taking more time and creating more space between our vehicles and those that are in front of us. My heart goes out to the family of the deceased.
Joe

Urbandale, IA

#7 Oct 8, 2010
John wrote:
I was 2 cars behind this accident! Thank you god for keeping me safe! It was very sad to witness. Seeing the poor old lady dead in the passenger seat was a very eary sight! I pray for the families!
what a tactless comment

prayers for the family
West Des Moines

Des Moines, IA

#8 Oct 8, 2010
AnkenyLiving wrote:
The idea that cars are mostly made of fiberglass is plainly false. Few are made this way, mostly high-end sports cars like Corvette. The korean subcompact that was involved in this crash uses metal stamped body panels, like almost all cars/trucks made today still do.
This is really about size - a small subcompact regardless of how safe it may be rated (those ratings are only within it's own segment) will never be as safe as a larger truck or suv. This is part of the choice you make when you buy a small car, it is less safe that larger cars/trucks.
SUV's are the vehicles that are not safe, because they cause the most fatalities. This is because SUV's are heavier, so it takes more time to stop, they are more dense, so the impact is more forceful, and they have higher point of impact, so the smaller vehicles' bumpers don't come in contact with the SUV. Could you imagine having to live with the fact you killed someone because you bought an oversized vehicle?
Insurance agent

Morrison, IL

#9 Oct 8, 2010
Prayers to the family, another sad, preventable loss of life.

This to the driver of the SUV and all who drive to fast and to close....Slow down, pay attention to the world around you, IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!!

Know this too if you rear end another vehicle it does not matter what you say you WILL be found to be at fault by the insurance companies. Why? Because they will say YOU where driving to fast and following to close, most police officers will tell you they agree.
Mary

Des Moines, IA

#10 Oct 8, 2010
I agree with the insurance agent. Most of the people driving their fancy SUV,s think they own the road, especially the female drivers. "See i have Cadilac Escalade, I own the road"
Former School Bus Driver

Urbandale, IA

#11 Oct 8, 2010
I have noticed an increasing amount of inattentiveness, impatience and disrespect among drivers, regardless of the size of their vehicle. To paraphrase someone from years ago, "I have been to West Des Moines, and there is nothing there I need to get to 4 seconds faster." However, I do have to say that people should not be allowed to drive a large vehicle if they do not know how to turn a corner without running over the curb or into the next lane, can't park between the lines, and don't adjust their mirrors so that they can see to the side and behind. SUVs, Hummers, etc. need to be driven by people that know what they are doing. With winter coming on, please know that driving an SUV or a big pickup does not equal 'it is safe to drive above the speed limit in a storm.' Please drive defensively so you are not the next victim or perpetrator. My condolences to all involved in this tragic accident. Thank you to the police, first responders, etc. who risk their lives to care for the dead and injured.
Steve

United States

#12 Oct 18, 2010
Wonder if this accident was caused by another impatient driver merging onto I-235 way too early crossing the solid white line from the 50th Eastbound entrance ramp. PLEASE WEST DES MOINES POLICE, have one of your patrol cars sit just west of the entrance ramp and watch just how many idiots are illegally merging onto the highway WAY TOO EARLY. Hand some tickets out and saves some lives in the longrun. Win Win......

Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Des Moines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ankeny to tackle teen drinking (Oct '06) Jul 14 concerned citizen 4
News Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) Jul 11 Victim Side 177
News Jim Webb joins 2016 presidential race Jul 4 Novus Ordo Seclorum 7
legit pain P.I.L.L.S n m/ar.iju/an.a Jun '15 Des Moines delivery 1
Review: Wild Orchid (Jan '10) Jun '15 mbp 15
News Bobby Jindal book on lessons of history coming ... May '15 Le Duped 1
News Valley students push for policy change after Do... May '15 Brad Handley 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Des Moines Mortgages