Dog Breeder Defends Animal Horror Hou...

Dog Breeder Defends Animal Horror House Claims

There are 93 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Nov 26, 2007, titled Dog Breeder Defends Animal Horror House Claims. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

West Columbia - Dawn Dunn is speaking out about the circumstances that led authorities on Thanksgiving Day to sieze 41 dogs in her care, 2 of which were dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

Susan Lauer

United States

#66 Nov 27, 2007
I knew Dawn raised Chinese Shar-Pei under the kennel name of Sleepei, but didn't know she raised Doodles. She has called me to buy a lilac before. I am the owner of the top Shar-Pei of all time, BIS, BISS, AKC and Canadian Ch. Shenanigans Storm Surge, ROM IV, who died in August, that she refers to in the Sleepei website, as her having a grandson of. We would like to have him of course. She bought him from someone who had bred to our dog, my husband championed that lady's male son of our dog, and Dawn bought a son of that male.
I have been on the phone with the AKC, the West Columbia police, the Lexington Sheriff's office, and Animal Control in Lexington. Of course the latter can't give details until the investigation is over. I hope someone will keep me posted at [email protected] Thanks, Susan Lauer
Shar-Pei breeder

Estacada, OR

#67 Nov 27, 2007
I am so appalled and upset by this story.
I have Shar-Pei and cannot believe anyone could do this.
PLEASE buyers, BE CAREFUL who you buy from.
Shay Jay

United States

#68 Nov 27, 2007
Any mistreatment of any animal breaks my heart. I just lost my chow-husky mix of several years and I can't understand how anyone could harm anything god created. I am very interested in adopting at least two of the dogs, one for me and one for my son (15 years old). If anyone have any information on how I can bring one or two of these precious babies into my home I would greatly appreciate it. I can be reached by either one of my emails: [email protected] or [email protected] I was getting ready to contact Project Pet but after this story I just have to provide a good home for at least one of them. Thank you.

“MiscService”

Since: Nov 07

Columbia, SC

#69 Nov 28, 2007
they have not released any info on adopting these dogs at all...in fact the animal control center wont let any news crews in to take pictures of the dogs. They are closed now for some reason. No one knows what is going to happen to them.
BrendaB

Lexington, SC

#70 Nov 28, 2007
Tammie wrote:
I have a comment on the statement that Miss Dunn made about the animal control people. Some time in July we had a dog dropped off at our home that was pregnant. She later had ten puppies. My husband and I, both, called animal conrol to come pick the dogs up. They said they would be here on a Monday. They never came. I called them again, and that is when they told me to bring them in. Remember the dog had ten puppies. Eleven dogs is a bit much to have to load into a car.
I wanted to send this post in defense for Miss Dunn because I know from first hand experience that the animal control people are not doing their job.
which animal control did you call? monetta? aiken co.? lex. co?
Nancy White

North Myrtle Beach, SC

#71 Nov 28, 2007

oh you have to go see this and what she wrote about how she does resuce work!!!!!

“Pet Shack Of Northside”

Since: May 07

born & raised in Miami, Fla

#73 Nov 28, 2007
aba wrote:
Something to think about...
When I can walk on water, I'll judge. Until then, it's not my place to judge.
Been walking on water lately????
I live next door, this lady was NEVER home until NOW! now that HER dogs & KIDS are GONE! and guess what else she looks as if she has been cleaning up.... go figure! yep trash that was piled high in the carport is gone, you thought she had no car right, WRONG...she has a blazer!

she has a web site up, yourtube & more.... this lady has no excuses! but herself to blame!
Furtblosm

Lexington, SC

#74 Nov 28, 2007
To all you "wanting to adopt dogs" that are so upset about these dogs- Why haven't you showed concern for all the other dogs that are up for adoption at the shelter? Typical "Bandwagon Jumpers".
ABB

Columbia, SC

#75 Nov 28, 2007
Thundercat wrote:
<quoted text>I could just shoot it, or put it under my tire as well! Call Humane Society my
A S S! How about H to the No, I pay taxes and they need to do their jobs!
Can't believe I'm saying this but SHOOT the dam thing. Do you have a BB gun? Trust me it works!
ABB

Columbia, SC

#76 Nov 28, 2007
BrendaB wrote:
<quoted text> I too am waiting on a dog trap- the problem is people stealing them or destroying them and there is a limited #. have patience like the rest of us and find something else to gripe about (I'm sure you knew this, but neglected to leave that out of comment) Also I believe there is a leash law and it applies to cats as well as dogs- may want to look into that because you may be contributing to problem
Do you realize how stupid you sound? Dogs and cats do NOT have to be leashed when in their OWN yard.

“Pet Shack Of Northside”

#77 Nov 28, 2007
FredFstone wrote:
<quoted text> before you go to telling to adopt I believe the owner has right to a trial
Trust me before she {Miss.Dunn} said she did not want them back , I knew She was not going to get them back, and if she did there was something wrong, Come on dead dogs, no food water in any dishes... how would you explain that and then expect to get the pets that you love so much back... Pleasssssssse!

“Pet Shack Of Northside”

#78 Nov 28, 2007
Furtblosm wrote:
To all you "wanting to adopt dogs" that are so upset about these dogs- Why haven't you showed concern for all the other dogs that are up for adoption at the shelter? Typical "Bandwagon Jumpers".
Yep there are more then just these guys there I agree with you. I guess because they know they are from a "breeder" and they are all "purebreds" .... is my guess but they will needs homes the ones that will pull out of this and get better. but you are right. Honestly I would like to see them go to maybe special rescues groups for there breeds , they would go all around the US and I'm sure they have waiting list.

I have been contacted by a lady that sold Dawn a Shar-Pei and he is from CH. bloodlines with titles , so these where expensive dogs. And this is a way that some can get a Yorkie for less then they could from a breeder, this is only my guess.

“Pet Shack Of Northside”

#79 Nov 28, 2007
Well as an educated person, you should be able to appreciate all the testing we do and temeperment testing to make sure these dogs fit well in a home so they do not end up in shelters. I do a lot of rescue work. I work closely with veterinarians. I have training. I don't take what I do lightly. Your comments are more judgemental, not knowing me at all. You assume to much and seem to despise educated breeding verses back yard breeding like the ones that end up in a shelter.

ya she wrote this... Dawn Mohead and there is more on youtube
at
Shar Pei owner

United States

#81 Nov 28, 2007
Place her in a jail cell, in isolation, no bathroom, minimal daily human contact and less than an adequate diet. She also needs to do volunteer work at the Animal Control office that she was to surrender her dogs to and observe all euthanasia for one year.
Viola

United States

#82 Nov 28, 2007
Thundercat wrote:
The conditions of the area was bad, but if she did contact animal control and received no help, I beleive her, I called animal control over a year ago to set a cat trap at in my yard beacuse a cat was in my yard fighting my cat, and they said they would come and they never did, and now that crazy bully cat is still in my yard! Now would I be wrong to let my dog out into my yard without a leash?
Buy your own trap. You can get an inexpensive one or go all out. Trap the cat, take it to animal control. Viola! No more waiting.

“Pet Shack Of Northside”

#83 Nov 28, 2007
BrendaB wrote:
<quoted text> Doesn't anyone find it ironic that PETSHACK is also a breeder that lives down from the dog neglecter and "sells dogs also-that this is probably a good thing for PET SHACK now that competition no longer has dogs!. AND what the hell is up with "selling " dogs? thought of real job instead of capitalizing on poor dogs
I have a real job , Thank YOU ! If you go to my web page you wil see! And the dogs I have I FEED, WATER & LOVE! oh BTW I have no human KIDS!
Cappy

Houston, TX

#84 Nov 29, 2007
Pet Shack Of Northside wrote:
<quoted text>
She also raised Wallabis.... we don't know if they found any or not but if they drain the green pool they may find there bodies!
I am curious Pet Shack. The name of the road you two live on is called Irlene ? Where about in west.cola is that located ?
COLA Concerned Citizen

United States

#85 Nov 29, 2007
MiscService wrote:
they have not released any info on adopting these dogs at all...in fact the animal control center wont let any news crews in to take pictures of the dogs. They are closed now for some reason. No one knows what is going to happen to them.
Thank you for the update. I would be willing to get one of those dogs and give him/her a good home. After all, these are our companions... not really our property. Perhaps if persons acted in this light, they would get better treatment.

“MiscService”

Columbia, SC

#86 Nov 29, 2007
Cappy wrote:
<quoted text>I am curious Pet Shack. The name of the road you two live on is called Irlene ? Where about in west.cola is that located ?
it is "Earline" it was spelled wrong in the report. But it is outside of south congaree actually. WC is the mail route.

“MiscService”

Columbia, SC

#87 Nov 29, 2007
BrendaB wrote:
<quoted text> Doesn't anyone find it ironic that PETSHACK is also a breeder that lives down from the dog neglecter and "sells dogs also-that this is probably a good thing for PET SHACK now that competition no longer has dogs!. AND what the hell is up with "selling " dogs? thought of real job instead of capitalizing on poor dogs
Actually for info here...Pet Shack is located in Winnsboro not the same street..she just lives on the same street...not the same type of dogs either so there is no increase in business for her there....dont get how you some up with this part at all...of course you dont know all the facts so i guess you just assumed it would make a difference?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Horrible Roads (Aug '16) 3 hr Legal Citizen 9
Bob Richards Nissan in North Augusta, SC. Racis... Mar 17 Yeahitstrue 2
News Woman pleads guilty to murders (Jul '07) Mar 17 Butcat 383
News Man Drowns in Myrtle Beach Pool (Jun '07) Mar 12 Beachlover55 11
News Minister Facing Charges Involving Teens (Feb '08) Mar 9 Anonymous 22
holy temple church of the lord jesus christ of ... (Mar '13) Mar 8 Alonzo 2,055
South Carolina Lady Gamcocks Mar 4 True Blue 1

West Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance