Y'all Be Crazy Down There
Justice

West Columbia, SC

#1 Sep 21, 2010
In an acknowledgment of his political desperation, S.C. Democratic gubernatorial nominee Vincent Sheheen opened fire on GOP nominee Nikki Haley on Tuesday with a bruising new negative TV ad that seeks to raise doubts about the Lexington Republican’s honesty and fitness for office.

Entitled “Think,” the 30-second ad features South Carolinians contrasting Haley’s campaign rhetoric with the reality of several recent news reports.

“She says she’s for transparency,” one of the ad’s revolving (mostly-female) narrators says.

“But Nikki Haley hid a $40,000 contract that she got because of her connections,” another continues.

“She claims to be a fiscal conservative,” a male voter says.

“But she wants to put a tax on our groceries,” a female narrator continues.

Wow … talk about not holding back!

“If the last eight years have taught us anything, it is that we cannot afford to elect anyone else to high office that lacks two basic qualifications: integrity and competence,” Sheheen said in launching his campaign’s broadside against Haley.“After the last eight years of deceit and scandal, we must elect a governor we can trust.”

Obviously this is a pretty solid ad … much better than Sheheen’s introductory spot.

But will it help erode Haley’s 16-point lead?

We shall see …

#

By NoName September 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Well he got a better hair cut but Damn…….challenged in the nergy department.

By yarrrr September 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

BTW, I loved how they 1) used an editorial from college newspaper(maybe 100 people originally read it) 2) changed the pictures on the cnn article…

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/...

By Sports Fan September 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Have we seen a list of who all Sheheen works for?

By exyank September 21, 2010 at 1:19 pm

There’s one thing the ad really doesn’t tell me – what does Shaheen have to offer? I have seen all of those headlines about Randhawa over the past few months.

Eh? Mediocre ad.

By Gary September 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Finally Will Folks seems gleeful. But this celebration may be short lived.

Though Sheheen looks like a good guy,It is normal that a political candidates will spin any real or perceived negative material against his or her opponent to create doubts in the minds of voters. But the question is -will some minor inconsequential things that he mentions in ad, derail, the opponent??

I have my grave doubts. The voters/Republicans already know about all these flimsy charges against Haley and would not be swayed by these negative ads from a liberal democrat who makes his living by chasing coffins.

Expect Haley to be more aggressive against Sheheen and expose his support for legislation which helps Sheheen as a trial lawyer which has cost SC voters millions of dollars in increased insurance cost. His stance on immigration, support for Obama care, bailout etc. But this attack and counter attacks are just normal in US elections and is hardly going to effect Haley’ chances of becoming a Governor ( barring some earth shaking event). Although I do feel that Haley’s reported support for grocery tax is a self inflicted wound.

Expect these issues to be raised in debates also, where Haley is expected to make mince meat of Sheheen.

By countryboy September 21, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Are we supposed to be dumb enough to think the people in the ad are Republicans and independants? What else would anyone expect a bunch of beady eyed democrats to say about the person running against their big nosed candidate? He’s going to get his core yellow dog democrats but damn few Republicans and independants and he can’t win with democrats alone, period, end of story.
Justice

West Columbia, SC

#2 Sep 21, 2010
The S.C. Judicial Department – supposedly strapped for cash – has hired two additional taxpayer-funded lobbyists to represent its interests at the S.C. State House.

According to the latest lobbyist disclosure forms published by the S.C. State Ethics Commission, the Court has hired former Columbia, S.C. mayor Bob Coble – a longtime friend of Chief Justice Jean Toal – and Stephanie Eames, who works with Coble at the Nexsen Pruet law firm in Columbia.

Details of both contracts were not immediately available, although Toal already retains the services of two lobbyists – veteran consultant J. Warren Tompkins and his associate, Graham Tew.

As recently as four months ago, the financial situation at the Judicial Department was reportedly so grave that Toal was threatening to cut law clerks and court reporters while scaling back family and circuit court proceedings. In fact back in May, Toal personally lobbied state legislators to approve new court fees in an effort to avoid “major” cuts.

FITS first exposed these alleged fee hikes, which would have doubled and tripled the cost of numerous common court filings.

S.C. lawmakers passed the fee hikes over our objections, but they couldn’t get enough votes to override a veto from S.C. Gov. Mark Sanford.

Clearly if the Judicial Department can hire two new lobbyists, though, it’s not hurting for cash as bad as the Chief Justice would have you believe …

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marie Hicks Inabinett 10 hr Moe 4
News The Latest: Republican wins House seat vacated ... Wed positronium 22
News Student:"Get To Know Your Local Stripper" (May '07) Tue Bruce 25
News Two Dead After 61 Accidents at Bike Fest (May '07) Jun 20 Luther 63
Horrible Roads (Aug '16) Jun 16 Citizen 13
Police fired? Jun 14 lawg 1
The church IN the Lord Jesus Christ-Hartsville (Jan '13) Jun 12 The Truth 39

West Columbia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance