Mother charged with neglect after mentally disabled daughter di...

A 45-year-old West Columbia woman was charged with neglect after her mentally disabled daughter died of alcohol poisoning, authorities said Monday. Full Story
Olive

Columbus, GA

#21 Sep 19, 2006
In regards to the case of Jackie Henderson, it is my understanding, from the newspaper in Columbia (which I read online), that she is being charged with neglect. The definition of neglect for an adult under the SC State Code (Section 43-35-10) 6) "Neglect" means the failure or omission of a caregiver to provide the care, goods, or services necessary to maintain the health or safety of a vulnerable adult including, but not limited to, food, clothing, medicine, shelter, supervision, and medical services. Neglect may be repeated conduct or a single incident which has produced or can be proven to result in serious physical or psychological harm or substantial risk of death. Noncompliance with regulatory standards alone does not constitute neglect. Neglect includes the inability of a vulnerable adult, in the absence of a caretaker, to provide for his or her own health or safety which produces or could reasonably be expected to produce serious physical or psychological harm or substantial risk of death.

Now, from reading the various news articles, it appears that alcohol was in the camper that Ms. Henderson shared with her 30 year old mentally challenged daughter. This does constitute neglect. So, therefore, she was charged accordingly especially since Kim Henderson had apparently drank like this before. Granted, Kim was 30 years old and of legal age to consume alcoholic beverages AND be in a nightclub. No one disputes this that I have read. The problem occurs when alcohol is left where it can be consumed by Kim knowing that she would continue drinking until stopped by someone, passing out, or eventual death (which did occur.) This same reasoning would be with leaving a loaded gun or a bottle of prescription or non-prescription drugs around that could be taken and lead to eventual death.

In a neglect case, the personal life of the defendant will be brought into questioning for the simple matter of trying to find out the facts of the case. Is something in the defendant's life making him/her unable to care for the person they are supposed to be caregiving for? Just saying that someone is a good parent is not good enough. All of you who are saying that Jackie is/was a good mother need to go testify on her behalf as character witnesses. A jury needs to hear all the facts. Besides, how do any of you really know what happened on the night in question? Were you there? If you were, why did you not stop Kim from drinking the alcohol? Why was the alcohol in the camper in the first place, especially that much liquor. knowing that Kim would drink it if she got the chance to? I personally do not know this Henderson family, but some answers are in order here. If I saw my children drinking my alcohol at any age, then it would not be in my house anymore, period. The same applies to a gun in my house. If I saw someone have that gun, I would have to get rid of it and take my chances that I would never have to use it for protection and employ some other means to protect myself and my family.

So, all of you who are saying that Jackie loved Kim, etc., etc. need to know that love can do strange things to a person. Taking care of a mentally challenged person is not an easy task. Yes, you get burned out. It is very stressful. But, if you cannot take care of the person, turn their care over to someone who can and then, and only then, get on with your life as you see fit. Don't allow your needs to come first. Yours come second.
angie

Swansea, SC

#22 Oct 17, 2006
terri wrote:
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you, outside our family, for enjoying conversations about our family as if it were another episode of Jerry Springer! Get a life and a new tv set!!! We lost our most precious family member of all and now in our time of grief we have garbage like this to respond to! Take a second to think not only of our whole family, but of my father who loved and raised Kim her whole life. Also think of my baby brother and sister! This was supposed to be their year!! They both just graduated high school and now along with grieving over the loss of their sister, they have to be embarrassed by people like Stacey, Rena, Melissa, and Angie!! I've tried to stay out of this whole mess, but enough is enough!!!
As far as you all saying you know Jackie so well, let me tell you, you never REALLY know a person. If so, my father would have known after being with jackie over 30 yearsthat she was having an affair with a married man. If you knew her so well, you'd also know me....her step-daughter for over thirty years!! This married man thing.......not a first for Jackie, ask my mother. She was a pro at it since a very young age. As for being a good person, we all have our days and people that we show our good sides to. Jackie can be a good person when she wants to. I'll go along. Don't ever think there's not stories to be told.
well Terri, I would hope that you would have noticed that what I wrote was not a bash against anyone. You should have not lumped me in with any other names that may have been!! These ladies should not go around and spread rumors about anyone that could or could not be true you do not know me and you should not judge me. Someone could do the same to you.I did go to school with Kim and saw her from time to time with Jackie and she remembered lots of fun things that we did when we would see each other at school. She would make a silly comment and we would laugh about it. And no I do not know what Jackie was like at home and it is not up to anyone to say how she was as a mom but HER children. My comments were on what I saw at school and around Swansea. And I am sorry that you did not read all of what I wrote or you would have seen just how much I thought of Kim. She was GREAT and I miss seeing her around. And no I have not put in to be on Jerry yet, sorry to disappoint you. but you do not have to worry about me I have told M&B how sorry I was about all of the bad things that were going around about THEIR mom and how much WE ALL missed Kim.
terri

Fair Bluff, NC

#23 Oct 17, 2006
Great! But since you don't know me or our family, stay out of it. We were once HER children too! I did read what you said, not much interest though. Kim was the best sister anyone could ever have and since shes not here any more, all we want is the truth and to let her rest in peace! Anything other than peace leave it to the person or persons that killed her!
Juliette

Lisle, IL

#24 Feb 1, 2007
What is the status of the Jackie Henderson trial? Has it happened, and if so, what was her sentence? Just curious.
clair

AOL

#25 Feb 1, 2007
Juliette wrote:
What is the status of the Jackie Henderson trial? Has it happened, and if so, what was her sentence? Just curious.
waiting on grand jury, she still must face a judge, she was not cleared
anonomous

United States

#26 Feb 28, 2008
has anyone heard about the trial since the last post 2-2-07
Diane

Manning, SC

#27 May 8, 2008
Has anybody heard when this trial is supposed to take place?
just me

Batesburg, SC

#28 Jun 8, 2008
terri wrote:
Great! But since you don't know me or our family, stay out of it. We were once HER children too! I did read what you said, not much interest though. Kim was the best sister anyone could ever have and since shes not here any more, all we want is the truth and to let her rest in peace! Anything other than peace leave it to the person or persons that killed her!
You are such a joke girl! I knew your family and I went to school with you and give me a break! You could give a crap less about Kim! You should leave Angie alone and see that she was being nice, not a bi*@h like you are! Get a life and stop tring to play the poor little former step sister to poor Kim! I am glad to see that Angie did not stoop to your level and be nasty back to your stupid A$$ but I will! Whats wrong, you cant stand it when someone says anything nice about Jackie? You talked crap about everyone in that family, even Kim. Go be a BI*@h to somebody else!
TERRI

United States

#29 Jun 9, 2008
THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT!!OBVIOUSLY YOU DONT KNOW ME OR MY FAMILY. HAVE A GREAT DAY MY FRIEND!
karen

United States

#30 Jun 9, 2008
I've known Terri since the day she was born. She always wanted a sister and often pretended I was her sister. She was not happy about the fact that her parents got divorced, nor was she happy about her dad marrying such a young woman. But lets face it she was nine years old. I can tell you this without hesitation, she was a very loving and caring child and woman and she loved Kim, Jenny, and Maddie with all of her heart. There wasn't an Easter that she didn't bring those kids to my house. At Christmas time, she spent every dime she could get her hands on for those kids. She may not have been perfect, but she loved those kids and she showed it. Focus on the real criminal not a loving sister thats hurt!
kim

West Columbia, SC

#31 Apr 25, 2009
MONDAY
Stoned

Tyrone, GA

#32 Apr 29, 2009
Postponed!
jackie

Mullins, SC

#33 Jul 28, 2009
This has never been about my daughter, all who know me know that this is revenge against me by Patrick Henderson.It is about me and another man Mr. Burle Jumper.I have had enough and now will show the world. As for Terri, she called Kim , (Jackies little monkey) thats how much she loved her. She called Brandon,my little bastard. but yet I was the only one allowed to watch her children.I am only guilty of being asleep.Kim was never left alone.So yall go ahead and do as you please, I have went through the hard part.And you henderson's, stop trying to make my child look dumb. what goes around, comes around.
henderson

Leland, NC

#34 Aug 20, 2009
hey jackie, guess what? you're last name is henderson too, ohhh yea what goes around comes around. leave us alone please
jackie

AOL

#35 Aug 20, 2009
I do nothing, and are u scared to leave your name
henderson

Columbia, SC

#36 Aug 20, 2009
nope. its maddie. i was just speaking for all of "patrick's" children. i just googled my name and "mother charged for neglect in daughter's death" popped up. i'm ready for all of this to be over. i'm ready just for it to be done and whatever happens happens. It's not in our hands what your fate is, its up to the law. Just back off and let me live my life.

I'm not gonna use this forum to argue with you. Please, just stop all of the mess and let us move on with our lives like you have with yours.
TERRI

United States

#37 Aug 21, 2009
henderson wrote:
hey jackie, guess what? you're last name is henderson too, ohhh yea what goes around comes around. leave us alone please
Jackie, It just so happens that when Kim was born, I was 9 years old. She did have "monkey" features. She was a mongoloid child, thats what that means. And as far as Brandon, you are the one that told me Brandon was your bastard. You my dear called him that. Everyone that knows me knows I loved Kim as well as all of your children. But it just so happens that this is not about me. I have nothing against you personally. I could care less who you date, when you date or anything else. It is you that is out to hurt what used to be "your family" not the other way around. As for my kids, honey, you have never babysat my kids. They've both been in daycare since birth. I am the least of your worries, leave us alone please.
jackie

AOL

#38 Aug 22, 2009
You are such a LIAR and FAKE,just ask Dr. Khan who employees you.want proof?
Boochie Bloome

Atlanta, GA

#39 Aug 22, 2009
If you know anyone who has been involved with William A. Bloome. Please tell them to see their doctor.
terri

Knoxville, TN

#40 Aug 22, 2009
Whatever, we all know who the fake and liar is. I have talked to Dr. Khan, next time you need to talk to me contact Maddie. She doesn't want me giving you the time of day so say whatever you want. But you're hurting yourself and your daughter. Thank you for a nice conversation, always a pleasure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Sat People Search 31
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Dec 16 juegoskizi 86
READ about Jeb Bush & family before voting Dec 15 voter b aware 1
Sharing My Girlfriend Dec 14 kikguy024 3
Lexington County towns seek road repairs and mo... (Dec '13) Nov 24 Knight 2
Deputies: Man Sexually Assaulted Girl at Mental... (Apr '07) Nov '14 canyouseemyfinger 116
Make Joe Owens a Strong Mayor? Are You Kidding? Sep '14 SCHotline 1
West Columbia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

West Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

West Columbia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Columbia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:30 pm PST