3rd recruit dies during basic at Fort Jackson basic training

Oct 28, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Stars and Stripes

A third soldier in about a month has died during basic combat training at Fort Jackson, S.C. Pvt.

Comments
1 - 20 of 358 Comments Last updated Apr 7, 2014
First Prev
of 18
Next Last
gchs

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 16, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

i when there in may. thats crazy three have died in one cycle what for.
winnie

Belle, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 27, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

this is crazy my daughter is there now,they push some of these kids to hard call the sissy if they need a break,my god everybody gets tired better hope and pray no crap like this happens to my daughter!!
kali

Boulder, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 29, 2009
 

Judged:

4

1

i just came back from there. it was nothing like that with the drill sergeants at all.....it was the tmc that you have to worry about...they misdiagnois people....said my friend had asthma and it was not controlable with an inhaler just to find out it was an upper respitory infection that would have become life threatening...another was told that has a heart condition, and it was anxiety....the drill sergeants are awesome...they push you to have confidence in yourself, but never to put your life at risk....
drake

Fort Belvoir, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 15, 2009
 

Judged:

5

3

3

winnie wrote:
this is crazy my daughter is there now,they push some of these kids to hard call the sissy if they need a break,my god everybody gets tired better hope and pray no crap like this happens to my daughter!!
Huh? That is why they call it the military. What rock did you crawl from under? I am in the Army Reserves and have been for 27 years. I reviewed two to the deaths which two of the three kids were fat, unlike the kids from the 70's-80's era. There death played a role in there being over weight. This should be a lesson for parents to get thre kids in some sort of physcial fitness program since schools have failed to do it.

Second, the military is the military. If your son or daughter is capture what do you think will happen to them? The job of the military is the build them up mentally and physically. If you are so worried about your child maybe you shouldn't of signed the papers for them to join.

“If you can't be a good example”

Since: Mar 07

be a warning

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 15, 2009
 

Judged:

6

1

1

I'm with you on this one drake.

Enlisting in the military and going to basic training is NOT the same thing as joining a social club and going to summer camp. Nor should it be.

Drill sargents have a tough job. They have only a handful of weeks to teach kids how to not only function in combat but how to survive it.
drake

Fort Belvoir, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

rwwllms wrote:
I'm with you on this one drake.
Enlisting in the military and going to basic training is NOT the same thing as joining a social club and going to summer camp. Nor should it be.
Drill sargents have a tough job. They have only a handful of weeks to teach kids how to not only function in combat but how to survive it.
In addition, the govt, takes on the burden of some of this recruits with social issues. Some of these kids today are running from problems back home such as broken homes, drug, gang, abused childhood and the list goes on. I have been a Battalion Commander and a Brigade Commander and I have seen it all. The problem I have, today's kids are soft. They think the military is suppose to be a vacation when in reality you may end up sacrifcing your life. I have served in several conflicts and have put my life in danger many times. If it wasn't for the many years of military training, mental and physical toughness, I wouldn't of made it. I understand that I could lose my life anytime and don't hesitate sacraficing if need be. Some of my soldiers lost lives and have been injuried including myself. We believe in what we do. If young recruits don't understand....don't join. Stay home and protest.
drake

Fort Belvoir, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 16, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

KKKK wrote:
<quoted text>
WANNA BE AGENT..50 YEARS OLD NATIONAL GUARD RESERVIST..YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT A THROW BACK THUG TRYING TO ADVISE OTHERS ON THERE CHILDREN..YOUR SON IS GAY AND SLEEPING WITH YOUR BROTHER.AND THE GIRL ACTING BOY WANT O IN THE ARMY BECAUSE HE IS ON CRACK AND A LOSER LIKE HIS PAPPY....LMAOAYN...
Becareful bubble boy. Your mushmouth might get you another time out on the topix. LOL!
drake

Fort Belvoir, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 18, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yo dude wrote:
KKKK thats whats up man good job thats where Im gunna be US army to free us from the black ass controlers
Huh? So you have to join the Army to do that?? I guess when guys like you live in a trailer home joining the Army is all you have. Let me give you some adivce, first get an education second, stop sleeping with your mother.
drake

Fort Belvoir, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 18, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

1

KKKK wrote:
<quoted text>
BLACK JUNGLE MONKEY I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON TIME OUT..TOPIX ISN'T MY LIFE CCG REP..YOU ARE THE SCAMMER YOU STOLE FROM YOUR BLACK FOLKS..IF I LEAVE IT WILL BE MY CHOICE..NOT BECAUSE I AM ON TIME OUT..YOU BLACK JUNGLE MONKEY..YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED IN IRAQ..
Yes...you have been on time out. Your daddy is going to jail for running a Ponzi scheme. Don't worry...his trial date will be in Sept 2009.
drake

Fort Belvoir, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 19, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

KKKK wrote:
<quoted text>
TROLL QUIT SMOKING CRACK IT HAS YOU ALL CONFUSED..WHEN HAS THE WHITE KLANSMAN EVER DEALT WITH BLACK JUNGLE MONKEYS WITH A INVESTMENT SCHEME. TROLL NOW THAT IS SOME FUNNY SH$T..COMING FROM YOU WITH YOUR CRACKED UP HEAD YOU MIGHT SAY ANYTHING..KEEP FISHING FOOL MAYBE ONE DAY YOU MAY REALIZE THE TRUTH THAT YOU ARE A CCG IR WHO STOLE FROM MANY FOLKS ON THE EAST COAST..LMAOAYN....YOU ARE KIND OF OLD TO BE HAVING THIS AS YOUR PAST TIME ENTERTAINMENT..YEAH YOUR UGLY ROTTEN SARDINE SMELLING COOTY WIFE WANT SEX YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE A LIMP SOFT DOG BETWEEN YOUR LEGS FROM SMOKING CRACK AND HAVING DIABETES AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE...LMAOAYN...
Joe Jr.

Didn't you say that your daddy served in the Army and got out for being crazy? The FBI checked him out to see if he was crazy to make sure he can stand trial. Well...he will be standing trial.
Kentucky

Russell Springs, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 24, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

My daughter there is now too, and she says it is hard and there have been people sent home with a medical dischage, She say its has taught her alot, and she has repect for people now, and she has pushed her self through stuff that she never thought she could do, She says she loves everyone there, and has made alot of friends, She says it has been sad to because there are girls in there that dont get mail, from their love ones, So we sent some mail and carepackages for some of the girls, She also said that the drill SGT's were pretty cool, they were hard on them but they need it to serive, So We will keep praying for them and keep sending them kids carepackages, So if any one is in the Basic Bootcamp and need help just send us an e-mail
drake

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 30, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Kentucky wrote:
My daughter there is now too, and she says it is hard and there have been people sent home with a medical dischage, She say its has taught her alot, and she has repect for people now, and she has pushed her self through stuff that she never thought she could do, She says she loves everyone there, and has made alot of friends, She says it has been sad to because there are girls in there that dont get mail, from their love ones, So we sent some mail and carepackages for some of the girls, She also said that the drill SGT's were pretty cool, they were hard on them but they need it to serive, So We will keep praying for them and keep sending them kids carepackages, So if any one is in the Basic Bootcamp and need help just send us an e-mail
I admire what you are doing. Please keep in mind, getting mail in Basic Training is nothing new. Some of these girls that don't get mail don't have much back home. This also isn't new. Once these girls graduated from Basic Training they will enjoy the rest of there career. Most of these kids never had any discipline in there lives. No one telling them to eat, sleep, get up, clean up etc or even holler at them. We have become a soft with kids and they have become weak. All of these things are basic home training which most parents today have abandon their responsibilty. On top of this, these kids grew up not playing outside and sitting behind a tv with little physcial activity. Thanks to the school system that did away with PE. Most the kids that were physical discharged were probably from injuries from lack of physical fitness.

I am a 27 year veteran in the Army Reserves Officer. I started as a enlisted and became a officer six years after I joined. Today basic training is soft. Drill SGTs need to be hard on these young people. Some of these kids are mentally and physically weak and if they are like this how do you think they will act in a hostel enviromemtnt?
JoAnn

Crest Hill, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 31, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I wish the sissies would stop crying about military training. My hat's off to the men with enough guts to do it. Yes, most of our young are lazy and self-centered. That's why it's called "The ME generation". And, yes too many of the young are overweight. That should be on the shoulders of the parents. Remember folks, parents are the first ones to train kids for the future.
Gladys

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 1, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

kali wrote:
i just came back from there. it was nothing like that with the drill sergeants at all.....it was the tmc that you have to worry about...they misdiagnois people....said my friend had asthma and it was not controlable with an inhaler just to find out it was an upper respitory infection that would have become life threatening...another was told that has a heart condition, and it was anxiety....the drill sergeants are awesome...they push you to have confidence in yourself, but never to put your life at risk....
My son is there now, in basic. God help them all, and alls we can do is pray, and have faith. I'm just going to leave it to God. I really am deeply sorry, for the soldier, that passed. My deepest sympathy to the parents, I can't imagine, what they are going through! My prayers to them, to help them be able to cope with such a loss!
Gladys

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Aug 1, 2009
 

Judged:

4

2

2

drake wrote:
<quoted text> Huh? That is why they call it the military. What rock did you crawl from under? I am in the Army Reserves and have been for 27 years. I reviewed two to the deaths which two of the three kids were fat, unlike the kids from the 70's-80's era. There death played a role in there being over weight. This should be a lesson for parents to get thre kids in some sort of physcial fitness program since schools have failed to do it.
Second, the military is the military. If your son or daughter is capture what do you think will happen to them? The job of the military is the build them up mentally and physically. If you are so worried about your child maybe you shouldn't of signed the papers for them to join.
With 27 years in the Reserves, they sure didn't teach you RESPECT! You should be ashamed of yourself, the way you are responding to this person! There are other ways, to answer! I should think with 27 years, you would be doing something, productive, instead of being so inconsiderate of the parents who lost there child! God help you!
Easy Fix

Saint Cloud, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Aug 1, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Better be in shape when yoy go down to Fort jackson! My sister went through all that bullshit and didn't get killed. Toughen up wimps!!! Hell you have got to fight a war!!!!!
CharlieO

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Aug 2, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

2

Get real Drake. My son is at Ft. Jackson right now ( not fat and in good shape). Some of the crap these kids are put through in this heat is stupid. I was in the military 20 yrs and of course there were times I put my life on the line BUT NOT WHEN I AM A SNOT NOSED KID IN BASIC. I bet you haven't had a kid through this yet are you wouldn't be such a big talker.
drake

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Aug 3, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Gladys wrote:
<quoted text>
With 27 years in the Reserves, they sure didn't teach you RESPECT! You should be ashamed of yourself, the way you are responding to this person! There are other ways, to answer! I should think with 27 years, you would be doing something, productive, instead of being so inconsiderate of the parents who lost there child! God help you!
Yeah...and I reviewed the cases of the three. Three soldiers dies taking a physical fitness test. A very easy test. Yes, sad to lose them. If you think I lack respect...so be it. I really don't give a rat azz what you think. You and others crying about basic training and how difficult it is. To be honest, basic trainging isn't difficult. Young People make it diffcult.

We live in a society where kids have punk azz parents raising them. The parents let them sit behind a computer and computer games and become fat. Then the kid wants to join the military, thinking they are going to Disney World. Most of the kids have no standard or discipline in there life. The young kids start to cry for mommy because the Drill SGT gets in there face. Now, reality has hit them in there butts that the military isn't a game.

You and other punk parents should be ashamed. You blame the military for your fault in their mentally and physical stability. Those three soldiers where out of shape and fat. Tell me something, how does a 17-21 year old die from beign out of shape?? This is the physical fitness peak of a young man/women. We have grown into a over weight society that eat...eat...eat. The punk azz parents feed these kids McDonalds etc., and eating processed foods rather than cooking for them. Oh...by the way...its the military's fault...of the death of these youths...right?? You should be ashamed to curse the military. You should be ashamed to sit on this post and CRY how tough basic training is when it really isn't.
drake

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Aug 3, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

CharlieO wrote:
Get real Drake. My son is at Ft. Jackson right now ( not fat and in good shape). Some of the crap these kids are put through in this heat is stupid. I was in the military 20 yrs and of course there were times I put my life on the line BUT NOT WHEN I AM A SNOT NOSED KID IN BASIC. I bet you haven't had a kid through this yet are you wouldn't be such a big talker.
Then if you spent 20 years in the military then you wouldn't make a retarded statment like this. So, let me get this straight, you believe that the kids (as you put it) are put through stupid things in the heat of SC. Question: What do you think they will be dealing with in IRAQ or Afghan???? The temps are 2 twice is hot. They are rucking and carrying equipment on there back. Do you think they can survive that heat??? Your kid may not be FAT but maybe out of shape. The three kids that died physically were out of shape and had large amounts of body fat on them for there again. But again, it the military's fault.

The Army Physical Fittness test current standard has been the same for 18 years. They change it in 1992.

To answer you question, yes, I had a son go through basic training two years agon and he made it without no problems and though the training was easy. Again, most the today's kids are out of shape and simply over weight.

Finally, I don't think you want to compare careers. I am an Infantry officer and I have served on active duty and now in the reserves. My life was put in danger many times. And if I were to provide you my name, you would find me under those who have received a Silver Stars. So...I can talk!
drake

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Aug 3, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

2

JoAnn wrote:
I wish the sissies would stop crying about military training. My hat's off to the men with enough guts to do it. Yes, most of our young are lazy and self-centered. That's why it's called "The ME generation". And, yes too many of the young are overweight. That should be on the shoulders of the parents. Remember folks, parents are the first ones to train kids for the future.
Your posting is so true. Sadly to say parents today refuse to take responsiblity of the physical and mental stability of there children. I guess its easier to blame the govt. The same kids could of died on a beach running or jogging somewhere. But as I stated...its eaiser to blame the military.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Community Health Systems Security Breach: Consu... Fri shron777 1
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Thu NEW PAIR OF GLASSES 1,146
Lexington Poker Ring: Where "The Tape" Came From (Aug '12) Aug 20 Friv 2020 77
New Mayor, Town Councilmen for South Congaree (Apr '08) Aug 18 trangw 14
dss kidnapping Aug 17 no name 1
Auto Money Title Loans Violating SC State Law (Sep '12) Aug 16 Sickashell 21
Interracial Dating Aug 15 SexxxxxGoddess 5

Search the West Columbia Forum:
•••
•••
•••

West Columbia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

West Columbia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

West Columbia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Columbia
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••