Four county sheriff candidates debate...

Four county sheriff candidates debate in Leominster - Sentinel & En...

There are 26 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Jul 27, 2010, titled Four county sheriff candidates debate in Leominster - Sentinel & En.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

The four candidates vying for Worcester County sheriff squared off last night at a forum at the Border Grille.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
independent voter

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jul 27, 2010
I attended the forum last night in Leominster. Clearly, Mr. Bove is the only qualified candidate for this position. Mr. Foley may have been a super trooper, but as far as running a correctional facility, he hasn't a clue. Keep talking about the "Glory Days " in the state police, you may be able to get a job on the lecture circuit!
Former Jail CO

Orange, MA

#2 Jul 27, 2010
independent voter wrote:
I attended the forum last night in Leominster. Clearly, Mr. Bove is the only qualified candidate for this position. Mr. Foley may have been a super trooper, but as far as running a correctional facility, he hasn't a clue. Keep talking about the "Glory Days " in the state police, you may be able to get a job on the lecture circuit!
Bove is a nice guy and he does have experience working at the jail, but he he also one of the biggest political hacks at the jail. He got to where he is only because of his fathers relationship with Mike Flynn. I worked there thru the 80's and 90's and he spent little time working in the cell blocks, he always had the "cushey" jobs. Most, if not all the high ranking offiers Deputies included got there jobs because they kissed alot of but and donated lots of money. You can say what you want about Foley, maybe he does brag about his days as a trooper, truth is in the law enforcement community he earned that right. Bove has not even come close to being the cop that Foley was. Bove was a pencil pusher, very little interaction with inmates. I remember when when Glodis ran for Sheriff, he said he was a experienced corrections officer when in fact he only worked 1 day a week as a part timer and he was the laziest worker I've ever worked with, used to fall alseep all the time and he sat on a public safety committee while he was a state rep, wow. Now that I'm retired and living out of state I can't vote in Worcester County, but if I could I would vote for Foley, he worked his way up and ended running the SP, 2500+ employees,as far as I'm concerned he has more experience with the correctional system than Bove will ever have.
just telling the truth

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Jul 27, 2010
Does everyone know that Mr. Foley is pulling down $112,000 per year tax free because he is out on the"heart bill"? I don't have a problem with his pension, but now he wants another $130,000.00 on top of that? I can't vote for a double dipper . It's a miracle that all of a sudden he has been cleared. If he is medically cleared, he should go back to the state police!
Retired Selectman

United States

#4 Jul 27, 2010
This race is between Foley and Evangelidis, period. If the republicans act up as usual It's Foley in the end. Remember my prediction.
Retired Selectman

United States

#5 Jul 27, 2010
This is not the issue they wish it was, I'n the end it wont mean anything.
just telling the truth wrote:
Does everyone know that Mr. Foley is pulling down $112,000 per year tax free because he is out on the"heart bill"? I don't have a problem with his pension, but now he wants another $130,000.00 on top of that? I can't vote for a double dipper . It's a miracle that all of a sudden he has been cleared. If he is medically cleared, he should go back to the state police!
Retired Selectman

United States

#6 Jul 27, 2010
Those who sling mud will loose in the end, people are sick and tired of negative news.
Agreed

AOL

#8 Jul 27, 2010
Retired Selectman wrote:
This is not the issue they wish it was, I'n the end it wont mean anything. <quoted text>
I agree with you, Bove's goons and the Republican muck rakers will make as big an issue as they can. It doesnt mean jack **** to the average person. The fact of the matter is Foley leads the pack in all catagories, and that's a fact jack!
Morals and integrity

Leominster, MA

#9 Jul 27, 2010
Retired Selectman wrote:
This race is between Foley and Evangelidis, period. If the republicans act up as usual It's Foley in the end. Remember my prediction.
Foley= collecting a big pension because of a medical condition? He shouldn't even be allowed to run....
Evangelidis= looking for a bigger salary; actually had the nerve to show up at another's fundraiser and hand out literature. NO CLASS, NO VOTE.

Nicholas= Honest about the position and has the integrity. NOT a politician and cares about the people....

Easy to know who to vote for...NICHOLAS all the way...
Hack o rama

AOL

#10 Jul 27, 2010
Morals and integrity wrote:
<quoted text>
Foley= collecting a big pension because of a medical condition? He shouldn't even be allowed to run....
Evangelidis= looking for a bigger salary; actually had the nerve to show up at another's fundraiser and hand out literature. NO CLASS, NO VOTE.
Nicholas= Honest about the position and has the integrity. NOT a politician and cares about the people....
Easy to know who to vote for...NICHOLAS all the way...
You forgot Bove the Hack....
arrogant

United States

#11 Jul 27, 2010
Lew E is a mixture of ignorance and arrogance, I'm offended by the way he talks down too his subjects.
imjustmusing

Southbridge, MA

#12 Jul 28, 2010
I agree with morals. I was also at the forum and the only candidate who struck me as being truly interested in the job, for the job, was Nicholas. Not knowing any of the four I felt Foley is just looking to up his retirement, nice guy and I respect what he has done, in fact I thanked him but not a Sheriff.
Bove - an insider who is part of the system, not the person who can or will change the system.
Evangelides - Only using this as a stepping stone, look for a run for Governor in 2014.
I'll vote for Nicholas
Correction

AOL

#13 Jul 28, 2010
imjustmusing wrote:
I agree with morals. I was also at the forum and the only candidate who struck me as being truly interested in the job, for the job, was Nicholas. Not knowing any of the four I felt Foley is just looking to up his retirement, nice guy and I respect what he has done, in fact I thanked him but not a Sheriff.
Bove - an insider who is part of the system, not the person who can or will change the system.
Evangelides - Only using this as a stepping stone, look for a run for Governor in 2014.
I'll vote for Nicholas
Correction: Just for the record, Foley has said publicy on several occasions that he would not take a pension or health insurance and would take a reduced pay from the sheriffs department. I imagine this would add up to a large savings over six years.
Mt Woman

Fitchburg, MA

#14 Jul 28, 2010
I attended the debaate at the "Border" and after reading the posts I can only wonder--was I at the same meeting as these other writers. Clearly, all 4 men had the same goal: to tell us why they would be the best sheriff for Worcester County. However, they all approached the goal from different perspectives. In my opinion, Lew Evangelides was the only candidate who developed a clear pathway on how to achieve cost savings, enhanced safety and security in and outside the prison, presented ideas and programs on prevention of recidivism and programs within the community that prevent youths from going astray. He also articulated the management of illegals in the county judicial system.

At least 4 times on Monday night I was approached by representatives from Mr. Bove who stated that one of the candidates is using the election as a "stepping stone" to higher office. I also read the post by "im just musing" who used the same words citing Mr. Evangelides. My response: SO WHAT!!! Lew Evangelides was the only candidate who presented a very successful record of past acheivements in the private and public sectors. My opinion: if he cleans up the prison system in Worcester County and makes this a viable organization that saves the taxpayer money, reduces recividism, and works with at risk youth in the community, than by all means, be my guest and run for higher office in the state. Your past successes speak for themself and I'm confident your achievements will continue.
Nono

AOL

#15 Jul 28, 2010
Mt Woman wrote:
I attended the debaate at the "Border" and after reading the posts I can only wonder--was I at the same meeting as these other writers. Clearly, all 4 men had the same goal: to tell us why they would be the best sheriff for Worcester County. However, they all approached the goal from different perspectives. In my opinion, Lew Evangelides was the only candidate who developed a clear pathway on how to achieve cost savings, enhanced safety and security in and outside the prison, presented ideas and programs on prevention of recidivism and programs within the community that prevent youths from going astray. He also articulated the management of illegals in the county judicial system.
At least 4 times on Monday night I was approached by representatives from Mr. Bove who stated that one of the candidates is using the election as a "stepping stone" to higher office. I also read the post by "im just musing" who used the same words citing Mr. Evangelides. My response: SO WHAT!!! Lew Evangelides was the only candidate who presented a very successful record of past acheivements in the private and public sectors. My opinion: if he cleans up the prison system in Worcester County and makes this a viable organization that saves the taxpayer money, reduces recividism, and works with at risk youth in the community, than by all means, be my guest and run for higher office in the state. Your past successes speak for themself and I'm confident your achievements will continue.
We respectfully disagree....
Mt Woman

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Jul 28, 2010
"Retired Selectman" states that the race will undoubtedly come down to Foley vs Evangelides. I pray that if this is true, Foley or as I call him, "TomFoolery" will fail in his bid. Mr. "Foolery" presentation on Monday night was limited to his work against Boston's organized crime in the 1990's. Although this is certainly noteworthy, his stump speech was more appropriate for audition of next "Godfather" movie. Howie Carr would be proud to think we have our own Eliot Ness running loose in Worcester County. Jest aside, in this week's "Beacon Hill Roll Call" (Sentinel and Enterprise 7/2/10)Rep Evangelides showed his support for the US Constitution by voting "NO" on legislation regardng the national popular vote and in a display of fiscal prudence he also voted "NO" on the proposal to print election ballots in Chinese and Vietnamese. Proof positive that Mr. Evangelides is the thinking man's public servent!!!
Retired selectman

United States

#17 Jul 28, 2010
I respect your opinion as I'm sure you do mine. That said I stick by my prediction, Foley will take this and Lew will conduct a dirty campaign
Mt Woman wrote:
"Retired Selectman" states that the race will undoubtedly come down to Foley vs Evangelides. I pray that if this is true, Foley or as I call him, "TomFoolery" will fail in his bid. Mr. "Foolery" presentation on Monday night was limited to his work against Boston's organized crime in the 1990's. Although this is certainly noteworthy, his stump speech was more appropriate for audition of next "Godfather" movie. Howie Carr would be proud to think we have our own Eliot Ness running loose in Worcester County. Jest aside, in this week's "Beacon Hill Roll Call" (Sentinel and Enterprise 7/2/10)Rep Evangelides showed his support for the US Constitution by voting "NO" on legislation regardng the national popular vote and in a display of fiscal prudence he also voted "NO" on the proposal to print election ballots in Chinese and Vietnamese. Proof positive that Mr. Evangelides is the thinking man's public servent!!!
Unemployed

AOL

#18 Jul 28, 2010
Retired selectman wrote:
I respect your opinion as I'm sure you do mine. That said I stick by my prediction, Foley will take this and Lew will conduct a dirty campaign <quoted text>
If Lew should loose this race he's out of work, I agree he'll get as dirty as he has to. His life depends on it. It's the phony smile he always wears that gets me too.
Unemployed

AOL

#19 Jul 28, 2010
Lew's now saying he wont accept endorsements, the fact of the matter is he tried very hard to get some and couldn't. Now he says the don't matter anyways.
Goofy

Westminster, MA

#20 Jul 28, 2010
This Lew guy seems a little to goofy to be a sheriff, crazy hats and all.

My opinion is that he'd say anything to get elected, I just dont trust him. They say he thinks of himself as a ladies man, I hope he's single LOL
just another guy

Fitchburg, MA

#22 Aug 19, 2010
Former Jail CO wrote:
<quoted text>
Bove is a nice guy and he does have experience working at the jail, but he he also one of the biggest political hacks at the jail. He got to where he is only because of his fathers relationship with Mike Flynn. I worked there thru the 80's and 90's and he spent little time working in the cell blocks, he always had the "cushey" jobs. Most, if not all the high ranking offiers Deputies included got there jobs because they kissed alot of but and donated lots of money. You can say what you want about Foley, maybe he does brag about his days as a trooper, truth is in the law enforcement community he earned that right. Bove has not even come close to being the cop that Foley was. Bove was a pencil pusher, very little interaction with inmates. I remember when when Glodis ran for Sheriff, he said he was a experienced corrections officer when in fact he only worked 1 day a week as a part timer and he was the laziest worker I've ever worked with, used to fall alseep all the time and he sat on a public safety committee while he was a state rep, wow. Now that I'm retired and living out of state I can't vote in Worcester County, but if I could I would vote for Foley, he worked his way up and ended running the SP, 2500+ employees,as far as I'm concerned he has more experience with the correctional system than Bove will ever have.
thats right Mr Foley is a COP....NOT A CO, for ever cops have told us were not cops. for ever cops have bashed us calling us glorified baby sitters well enough...i want a CO running the jail, not a politition or DISABLED trooper

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Boylston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Worcester restaurants close as part of 'Day Wit... Tue slick willie expl... 9
Beatles For Sale in Shrewsbury Tue Northeast Music S... 1
Dan Kirouac - Val's restaurant dates this summer Jun 25 Northeast Music S... 1
News Southbridge man, son indicted again on charges ... Jun 24 Brown 1
News Webster seeks probe of emails alleging police b... Jun 23 Buddy 1
Dianne Williamson Jun 18 Go To Hell 1
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) Jun 14 civil servant sup... 4

West Boylston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Boylston Mortgages