Investigation Underway in Alpena

Investigation Underway in Alpena

There are 74 comments on the KSFY-TV Sioux Falls story from Oct 21, 2006, titled Investigation Underway in Alpena. In it, KSFY-TV Sioux Falls reports that:

Authorities in Alpena, South Dakota are investigating an incident at a bar that reportedly left one man dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSFY-TV Sioux Falls.

RUSS COOPER

Tallahassee, FL

#21 Oct 25, 2006
Kristen wrote:
<quoted text>
You say unneccesary death yet every paper mentions that he may have died of a heart attack. Please dont just assume that the guys from Kansas City went up there to cause trouble. I feel bad that the bar fight ended one persons life and I feel bad for the family and friends of him. But I also know the men from Kansas City and they are really great people as well with familys that hurt now too.
AS I'VE SAID BEFORE THE NEWSPAPERS ARE NOT REPORTING ALL THE FACTS. THEY CAN ONLY REPORT WHAT INFORMATION THEY GET.I'M NOT SAYING THESE TWO MEN INTETIONALLY WANTED TO KILL SOMEONE,BUT THEIR ACTIONS DID LEAD TO ELROY'S DEATH. I FULLY BELEIVE THAT. WITNESSESS REPORTED THAT THESE TWO MEN WERE PUNCHING HIM IN THE CHEST AND FACE. HAVE YOU EVER WORKED IN A BAR WHERE YOU WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR BREAKING UP A FIGHT. TRUST ME YOU ARE SEEN AS THE ENEMY AS WELL AND WILL BE HIT AND PUNCHED. NOT TO MENTION BEER BOTTLES AND POOLSTICKS. I'VE HAD MY FAIR SHARE OF BOTH THOSE ITEMS BEING USED ON ME AND I STILL CARRY THE MENTAL AND PHYSICAL SCARS OF ALMOST BEING KILLED MYSELF. I'M NOT SAYING THAT THESE TWO MEN USED WEAPONS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT,BUT THEY DID ATTACK HIM FROM WHAT EYE WITNESSESS SAID. I MAY NOT BE A MEMBER OF ELROY'S FAMILY,BUT I FEEL THEIR PAIN AND ANGER. I ALSO GRIEVE FOR FRIEND AND THE LOSS OF HER FATHER. I KNOW WITH 1,000,000% CERTAINTY THAT SHE WILL MISS HIM DEARLY. HE WAS HER HERO. THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO ASSUME.I'M NOT TRYING TO CREATE HOSTILITY, BUT I CARE FOR MY FRIEND VERY MUCH AND I WILL STAND BY HER AND HER FAMILY THROUGH THIS TERRIBLE TIME.
woonsocket sd

Mitchell, SD

#22 Oct 25, 2006
as you continue to argue lets remember that its the fmily thats grieving for the loss of a husband a father a grandfather and a wonderful friend to all they are the ones that need the support of everyone as for what caused elroys death wait for the autopsy report and that will tell all those men may not have come up here to cause problems but if they couldnt handle their drinking maybe they shouldnt have drank
RUSS COOPER

Tallahassee, FL

#23 Oct 25, 2006
woonsocket sd wrote:
as you continue to argue lets remember that its the fmily thats grieving for the loss of a husband a father a grandfather and a wonderful friend to all they are the ones that need the support of everyone as for what caused elroys death wait for the autopsy report and that will tell all those men may not have come up here to cause problems but if they couldnt handle their drinking maybe they shouldnt have drank
EXCELLENT POINT. I HAVE SEEN ALCOHOL TURN THE MOST DESCENT, UPSTANDING CITIZEN INTO REALLY MEAN AND NASTY PEOPLE.
Taz

Overland Park, KS

#24 Oct 25, 2006
To the loved one's of Elroy My heart go's out to you in your time of a greatloss of your loved one .
What ever one needs to understand is that there is at least three sides to every story what this one said & what that one said & the truth and if every one was to know the truth in this story then there would be no need to have any investagation so until the results come back and the investation is done then no one has the right to accuse anyone.(Judge ye not unless ye be judged saith the lord)
ash

Kansas City, KS

#25 Oct 25, 2006
To the family of the loved one that died, im sorry for this tragic death and as most everyone in life has dealt with someone close to them dying it is not an easy thing to deal with. Im sure Mr. Wieting was a wonderful man and a very respected person in the community.

As a family member to the ones who have been accused of this death my full support is behind them. Paul I love you even though I show it in a strange kind of way. I do love you and I support you every minute through this. I will always be there for you and Roger. As you and I know during that car ride on I-29 it definately sucks to be accused of something that did not even happen. My family loves you, and I for sure love you even though I have resisted. I apologize. Roger and Paul "we have your back" in Kansas City. We know what kind of people you are. I'll always be there for you as your brother you can always count on.

With Love,
A.S.H
Kristen

Menomonee Falls, WI

#26 Oct 26, 2006
People that were there also had said that one of the two men pushed him, and the other man wasnt envolved in the fight. In no way did they repeadly beat the man. I dont know why everyone is assuming anything when the autopsy comes out it will show that the poor man died of a heart attack, and maybe the stress of a bar fight was part of what set it on but there were many other people in that fight and only 2 of them are taking that blame. I dont want to start a arguement but I think that everyone needs to settle down till the autopsy shows something more than what the newspapers are saying.
RUSS COOPER wrote:
<quoted text>
AS I'VE SAID BEFORE THE NEWSPAPERS ARE NOT REPORTING ALL THE FACTS. THEY CAN ONLY REPORT WHAT INFORMATION THEY GET.I'M NOT SAYING THESE TWO MEN INTETIONALLY WANTED TO KILL SOMEONE,BUT THEIR ACTIONS DID LEAD TO ELROY'S DEATH. I FULLY BELEIVE THAT. WITNESSESS REPORTED THAT THESE TWO MEN WERE PUNCHING HIM IN THE CHEST AND FACE. HAVE YOU EVER WORKED IN A BAR WHERE YOU WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR BREAKING UP A FIGHT. TRUST ME YOU ARE SEEN AS THE ENEMY AS WELL AND WILL BE HIT AND PUNCHED. NOT TO MENTION BEER BOTTLES AND POOLSTICKS. I'VE HAD MY FAIR SHARE OF BOTH THOSE ITEMS BEING USED ON ME AND I STILL CARRY THE MENTAL AND PHYSICAL SCARS OF ALMOST BEING KILLED MYSELF. I'M NOT SAYING THAT THESE TWO MEN USED WEAPONS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT,BUT THEY DID ATTACK HIM FROM WHAT EYE WITNESSESS SAID. I MAY NOT BE A MEMBER OF ELROY'S FAMILY,BUT I FEEL THEIR PAIN AND ANGER. I ALSO GRIEVE FOR FRIEND AND THE LOSS OF HER FATHER. I KNOW WITH 1,000,000% CERTAINTY THAT SHE WILL MISS HIM DEARLY. HE WAS HER HERO. THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO ASSUME.I'M NOT TRYING TO CREATE HOSTILITY, BUT I CARE FOR MY FRIEND VERY MUCH AND I WILL STAND BY HER AND HER FAMILY THROUGH THIS TERRIBLE TIME.
Kristen

Menomonee Falls, WI

#27 Oct 26, 2006
When working at a bar the bar tender should also have seen that they were getting to drunk and should have stoped serving them, but they didnt and Im not saying that it was there fault or the bar tenders but there is too many different people that could have taken part of the blame. 30 people in a fight, 100 people in the bar, alcohol, testosterone, and these 2 men from kansas city are the only ones to blame? It just doesnt add up. whatever the cause may be no one needs to be blaming the other party until results are found out.
RUSS COOPER wrote:
<quoted text>
EXCELLENT POINT. I HAVE SEEN ALCOHOL TURN THE MOST DESCENT, UPSTANDING CITIZEN INTO REALLY MEAN AND NASTY PEOPLE.
woonsocket sd

Mitchell, SD

#28 Oct 26, 2006
Kristen wrote:
People that were there also had said that one of the two men pushed him, and the other man wasnt envolved in the fight. In no way did they repeadly beat the man. I dont know why everyone is assuming anything when the autopsy comes out it will show that the poor man died of a heart attack, and maybe the stress of a bar fight was part of what set it on but there were many other people in that fight and only 2 of them are taking that blame. I dont want to start a arguement but I think that everyone needs to settle down till the autopsy shows something more than what the newspapers are saying.
<quoted text>
how can u say what the autopsy will show you werent there uou know nothing about elroy or his health he never had any heart trouble in his history of life he was a very energetic person and for you to say what the autopsy will show is wrong you dont know what happened here that night only what youve heard so maybe you should follow your own advice about waiting for the autopsy as for why they are blaming only 2 people instead of 30 or 100 they are the ones that were seen doing the fighting not 30 or 100 so until YOU know all the facts maybe you better try to assume so much we buried our dear friend today those other 2 men still have life what has elroy got
taz

Overland Park, KS

#29 Oct 26, 2006
woonsocket sd wrote:
<quoted text> how can u say what the autopsy will show you werent there uou know nothing about elroy or his health he never had any heart trouble in his history of life he was a very energetic person and for you to say what the autopsy will show is wrong you dont know what happened here that night only what youve heard so maybe you should follow your own advice about waiting for the autopsy as for why they are blaming only 2 people instead of 30 or 100 they are the ones that were seen doing the fighting not 30 or 100 so until YOU know all the facts maybe you better try to assume so much we buried our dear friend today those other 2 men still have life what has elroy got
If the fother and son was the only two fighting if ever one else would have staed out of it then on one would have got hurt .
taz

Overland Park, KS

#30 Oct 26, 2006
you all are saying that this two out siders are the only one's to blame and the locals are not to blame the locals are to blame also you know it takes 2 to tango
taz

Overland Park, KS

#31 Oct 26, 2006
you know i have seen on the news and been at games where a perfect healthy boy had no heart problems at all and then all of a sudden when he is running or playing that all of a sudden that he dies of a heart attack right there so no one can tell when thay will have a heart attack or not no matter how healthy they are they can still have one for no reason so for to say that they caused the heart attack that the police said that he had doesnt mean that they are the ones that caused. it was gods will and called him home.he is the only one that knows when and how you will die
There nobodys friend

Minot, ND

#32 Oct 26, 2006
None of you were there. A little pushing resulted in a violent attack by the son on another patron, grabbed by the security man to stop that attack, then JUMPED by the father. Elroy attempted to back up his security man who was now double teamed. The father turned and brutally punched Elroy in the chest (Pi Mei Exploding Heart Trick) and violently elbowed him in the face. Elroy was down and out instantly. You fill in the gaps. This bar is notorious for fights and the bar owner lets people drink too much before cutting them off. Everybody is at blame. The owner is terminal your boys will be in prison for stupidity.
Kristen

Menomonee Falls, WI

#33 Oct 26, 2006
I totally agree with you, my father in law is 60. He eats a healthy diet, works out reguarly and plays Tennis 5 days a week. He has undergone 3 major heart surgeries, has tubes out his belly and is on tons of medication. Yet he still lives his normal healthy lifestyle of working out and tennis. He has been to the top of the line doctors and they have no idea why his heart stops working perodically. and to woonsocket sd as you are friends or family of the bar owner you know what is going on in south dakota, I am friends with the 2 from Kansas City. So I kind of think that we are on the same page of not just relying on what the news papers say.
taz wrote:
you know i have seen on the news and been at games where a perfect healthy boy had no heart problems at all and then all of a sudden when he is running or playing that all of a sudden that he dies of a heart attack right there so no one can tell when thay will have a heart attack or not no matter how healthy they are they can still have one for no reason so for to say that they caused the heart attack that the police said that he had doesnt mean that they are the ones that caused. it was gods will and called him home.he is the only one that knows when and how you will die
RUSS COOPER

Tallahassee, FL

#34 Oct 27, 2006
WELL IT APPEARS THAT WE WILL HAVE TO AGREE TO DISAGREE. MY FRIEND AND HER FAMILY BURIED HER FATHER YESTERDAY. THAT KIND OF MAKES IT FANAL. HE'S NOT COMING BACK. ALL I HAVE LEFT TO SAY IS THIS:

REST IN PEACE MR.WIETING.

YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED. I AM SORRY THAT I NEVER GOT TO MEET YOU. I HOPE THAT TIME WILL BE KIND TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AS THEY COME TO TERMS WITH YOUR LOSS AND THE BRILLIANT LIGHT THAT HAS BEEN EXTINGUISHED FROM THEIR LIVES. THERE'S A NEW ANGEL LOOKING DOWN THROUGH THE HOLES IN THE FLOOR OF HEAVEN AND HIS NAME IS ELROY.
woonsocket sd

Mitchell, SD

#35 Oct 27, 2006
i agree we will all just have to wait for the autopsy to come back that will tell all but i have one more thing to say ELROY please keep an eye on your wife and family as they still need you i know you loved them dearly and already they miss you more than life itself we will never forget you and you will always, ALWAYS be in our hearts no matter what caused you to leave us WE LOVE AND MISS YOU and as an employee of yours i will truly miss working with you
KC MO

Overland Park, KS

#36 Oct 28, 2006
If 30 people were involved what were the other 27 people doing while these two were getting convicted of murder? I can't imagine 27 people watching a manslaughter happen. You would think 5 guys could tear two away from one. I would just like to know the facts.
Daughter of Elroy

Tucson, AZ

#37 Oct 29, 2006
I sat here and read this and so many of you talked about my dad as you knew him as we all did. My dad was the best man on this earth. He would have gaven the shirt off his back for you. Like my sister said we dont know what happened at this time but when we find out and if something happened then we will take care of it at that time. Some of you have a dad to call and talk to and get to go see, we do to but we dont get to see his face but in pictures. My dad had many family around and friends. And that was cut shrot. Thanks all for being here for us.
There nobodys friend

Minot, ND

#38 Oct 29, 2006
I already told you what happened KC. You just dont want to hear what was said. Its all just about 5 posts up the list, read it again and dont be suprised when your guys don't come home after their trial.
Gardner ks

Kansas City, MO

#39 Nov 3, 2006
I VE BEEN FOLLOWING THE STORY A LITTLE SINCE I HEARD OF THIS. SOMETHING SMELLS REAL BAD ABOUT THIS ONE. THAT IS.... WHO ELSE WAS IN ON THE FIGHT? THEY ARE AS MUCH TO BLAME AS THE TWO ACCUSED. UNLESS THE FATHER AND THE SON WERE THE ONLY ONES FIGHTING. WERE THE FATHER/SON BEATING ON EACH OTHER, OR WERE THERE LOCALS INVOLVED AS WELL? I THINK THERES ALOT MORE TO THE STORY THAT HASN'T BEEN TOLD.

MY CONDOLENCES TO BOTH FAMILIES. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
Somewhere in SD

Tucson, AZ

#40 Nov 5, 2006
I have been looking up on the internet everything I can find about all this that I can and all you guys from KC said that you know all the facts. I looked up all your news papers and all that and I could not find nothing and I mean nothing. If someone could help me and let me know where to look that would help me alot. I would like to know what they are saying there about the case or about Elroy. That is only fair right. So please someone help me with this. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wessington Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woonsocket Man Arrested For Murder Sep '16 M McCurrie 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jul '16 america first 13
News South Dakota 125th: The return of Wagon Trains ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Jim 1
Debate: Don't Ask Don't Tell - Wessington Springs, SD (Jan '11) Jan '11 Pam Ochsner 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in South Da... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Sven Svennson 1
homes for rent in the area (Sep '10) Sep '10 fortenberry 1
house for sale (Jun '10) Jun '10 Marie McMurray 1

Wessington Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wessington Springs Mortgages