First Prev
of 3
Next Last
renee

Tulsa, OK

#44 Jul 31, 2012
Also Linda it depends on what type od nursing she chooses later. There are many options that dont involve acute trauma care..in other words who is to say that she shouldnt be having a hard time...I have been in medical field 12 yrs. I work in a surgery unit and see sad things all the time, including trauma cases. And it DOES become 2nd nature to the point where it does not effect your emotiona at all, sometimes.

However given that, I myself had a hard time with this too. An EMS is on the actual scene for these things.. I am not...ever. Actually being there is a totally different emotional experience for me...and given that I already help people, I felt a huge sense of sorrow and disappointment that I could not do anything for Tyler...nor could anyone else, I realize.

I will never forget that day and how that made me felt. But now, Im just glad to have a name with the face, and know that he was eventually in a comfortable place with his family before passing.
Unhappy Camper

Jerseyville, IL

#45 Jul 31, 2012
Derick wrote:
<quoted text>
First, let me say I am sorry to for the wife and familys' loss of their loved one. I was also there and was a witness to the accident and aftermath. Unfortunately there was not really anything any one could do as all were drunk and unprepared. The best thing that Tyler could have used was crowd control and less people touching him. Too many people kept coming up to him and rolling/pushig him. The amount of "nurses" that were trying to help were grosly under qualified as I witness one of them try to actually give him CPR. The injured man had a pulse and was breathing the entire time.
Second, Linda, you should be proud of your daughter for wanting to help. However if she is this traumatised by seeing this accident then she may want to think of a new career path. I have been a paramedic for 6+ years in the greater Chicagoland area and she will have to see and also deal with the hands on care of accidents like this and ones with far more gorry patients and outcomes once she becomes a nurse. Death is something that, unfortunately, becomes second nature in the EMS and helath care field.
I am sorry for the outcome of Tyler and my truest sympathy goes out to his family. Hopefully something is taken away from this incident by all the other floaters.
I also agree with Mindi. Age is a regarless factor in this accident...
Well said, Derick.
Mindi

Chicago, IL

#46 Aug 1, 2012
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure every person that was with Tyler wishes they would've tried to talk him out of jumping. I'm sure if he had the chance to do it over again, he would've made a different decision. I think you're being a little harsh. Yes, he made the decision to jump. But people make mistakes all the time. I can't imagine that you have any kids because had this been your 28 year old son, I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people sharing their opinion about how ignorant he was. Have a little compassion. His friends and family are reading this.
Rest in Peace Tyler. I hope you didn't suffer any. I wish all of his family and friends will find peace with this tragedy.
Every person on that river watching Tyler be mishandled will forever think of him, be reminded, and reflect on what happened. The devastation of his family and those that loved him can only be sympathized with but not fathomed. I am near 30 and have witnessed/experienced tragedies. It doesn't leave you. All I meant was he wasn't some "young kid" whose family could blame and sue someone else for the alcohol consumed or choices (tragic or otherwise) made.

Donna, yes, be proud of your daughter. She tried. It is humbling when you realize you are not yet experienced enough to handle certain situations and it is especially difficult at 19. She did what she thought was right and you should be proud that you raised her to do so. My group had 2 EMT's with over 5 years experience each, 2 experienced police officers and 2 experienced lifegaurds (I only mention this as they are trained to handle spinal injuries associated with water/diving
incidents, to react and know what to do)- we ALL tried to help. Our help was denied multiple times so we did what we could in the water. It takes wisdom to understand when you should back off for someone with more experience and training. It was VERY unfortunate what transpired and no one left unaffected, least of all his friends and family. I hope in the future the creek will be less crowded, more emphasis to floaters not to dive will be made, and help will be more easily reached. Tyler will not be forgotten.
Low Waters

Springfield, IL

#47 Aug 1, 2012
We were also there and heard about it as it was unfolding. It is really unfortunate and my heart goes out to his wife, family and friends.
renee

Saint Louis, MO

#48 Aug 1, 2012
I have yet to see obituary info...perhaps there won't be for a couple more days?
Anne

Kansas City, MO

#49 Aug 1, 2012
renee wrote:
I have yet to see obituary info...perhaps there won't be for a couple more days?
Here is the obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansascity/o...
Concerned Floater

Fairview Heights, IL

#50 Aug 1, 2012
This news makes me truly upset and heartbroken for his wife, friends and family. I send out my deepest sympathy to all of them.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#51 Aug 1, 2012
Sad situation all around. Has anyone heard anything about the one with the tree limb? just curious.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#53 Aug 1, 2012
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>That is the one with the tree limb. Unfortunatley I was a witness to this tragic event. Don't think I'll ever be the same. This was my 1st float trip.
Okay. we stayed at Huzzah and floated Sunday, and never heard anything about it until we got home Monday. The news had it as 2 different people, so that's what I believed. So many controversial stories. Still another tragedy that could have, and should have, been avoided.
Jack

United States

#54 Aug 2, 2012
ski baby wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay. we stayed at Huzzah and floated Sunday, and never heard anything about it until we got home Monday. The news had it as 2 different people, so that's what I believed. So many controversial stories. Still another tragedy that could have, and should have, been avoided.
Another younger man jumped from one of the rock cliffs some miles down and broke his neck . That was the one in the paper I think.
Witness to one of them

United States

#55 Aug 2, 2012
http://www.sullivanjournal.com/news/article_a...

MERAMEC STATE PARK - A 19-year-old man that was seriously injured late Saturday afternoon jumping off a 25-foot cliff into the Meramec River will be OK, says a report issued by a state reporting agency.

According to a Missouri Department of Natural Resources report released today to the Sullivan Journal, Cody Dugger, 19, of Florissant, Mo., was floating with some friends near Meramec State Park Saturday, July 28 when he (Dugger) decided to jump off a cliff located just upstream from the state park campground.

Friends that were with Dugger said they witnessed others jumping off the cliff, so they wanted to join in. They stated Dugger jumped and landed on his butt, but when he surfaced he said that he couldn't feel his legs. Shortly thereafter, Dugger started convulsing and became unresponsive. The report notes that the water depth under the cave cliff is about 6 feet.

Dugger's friends stated that he (Dugger) had consumed about five or six beers prior to jumping. Ultimately, Dugger was treated on the scene by local medics and firefighters and helicoptered to a St. Louis hospital from a gravel bar near the cliff.

On July 29, 2012, the report states that Dugger's father said his son obtained a compression fracture and would "be in a back brace for some time." The father said that his son has all use of his body parts and is conscious and alert.
Trevor

Overland Park, KS

#56 Aug 2, 2012
Here is the website for the funeral home holding his service.

http://www.gowingfuneralhome.com/notices/t_lu...

There is a foundation currently getting organized for the bills and his young wife.
Shawn

Haslet, TX

#57 Aug 2, 2012
Mindi wrote:
<quoted text>
Every person on that river watching Tyler be mishandled will forever think of him, be reminded, and reflect on what happened. The devastation of his family and those that loved him can only be sympathized with but not fathomed. I am near 30 and have witnessed/experienced tragedies. It doesn't leave you. All I meant was he wasn't some "young kid" whose family could blame and sue someone else for the alcohol consumed or choices (tragic or otherwise) made.
Donna, yes, be proud of your daughter. She tried. It is humbling when you realize you are not yet experienced enough to handle certain situations and it is especially difficult at 19. She did what she thought was right and you should be proud that you raised her to do so. My group had 2 EMT's with over 5 years experience each, 2 experienced police officers and 2 experienced lifegaurds (I only mention this as they are trained to handle spinal injuries associated with water/diving
incidents, to react and know what to do)- we ALL tried to help. Our help was denied multiple times so we did what we could in the water. It takes wisdom to understand when you should back off for someone with more experience and training. It was VERY unfortunate what transpired and no one left unaffected, least of all his friends and family. I hope in the future the creek will be less crowded, more emphasis to floaters not to dive will be made, and help will be more easily reached. Tyler will not be forgotten.
I agree with you I was also there and witnessed the chaos.
Lori

Kansas City, MO

#58 Oct 1, 2012
Trevor wrote:
Here is the website for the funeral home holding his service.
http://www.gowingfuneralhome.com/notices/t_lu...
There is a foundation currently getting organized for the bills and his young wife.
Can you tell me more about the foundation?
Irritated

United States

#59 Oct 25, 2012
Donna wrote:
That is horrible. I pray for comfort for his family and loved ones. It's just a shame that having fun can be so tragic. I wish these young kids that drink would make better decisions when it comes to doing things that can change lives forever. I have nephew that is getting close to that age I hope he makes better choices for his life. I'm not trying to sound like I don't like to drink and have fun with my friends but you really have to think about those choices and how it effects everyone.
He wasn't drinking, get your facts straight before you post inappropriate rude comments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wesco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dtb. you're a closet junkie!! 7 hr Danirever 7
Crooked (May '15) May 11 Seeahagg 4
casey hawkins (Feb '12) May 6 TEM 13
News Steelville Coach Charged With Statutory Rape (Oct '06) May 4 Dunlop 53
..11 Mar '17 superman 1
News Delano Oil Co. gas stations are disappearing Dec '16 puddintain 1
Larry martin (Jan '13) Nov '16 Think about it 34

Wesco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance