Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...

Since: Feb 11

United States

#71519 Nov 16, 2012
Hostess has apparently not kept up with market share – with such good products like Twinkies and Wonder Bread, imagine!– but as you see above, the real trigger for this liquidation was the strike. This is the second Hostess bankruptcy since 2004. The BCTGM union took multiple concessions in the first bankruptcy, and offered multiple concessions (I’d tell you exactly what they are but apparently they’re having bandwidth issues at their site today) on wages and benefits this time around. But the contract the company tried to unilaterally impose was so bad, with a 27-32% wage cut and benefit slashes and the elimination of the eight-hour workday, that 92% of workers rejected it. And after the strike initiated, Hostess moved right to shutting down the company rather than working with the union on a resolution.

In fact, Wall Street hedge funds and private equity firms own Hostess brands, and they took massive bonuses and payouts over the past eight years or so. They dumped the company pensions, unilaterally stopped making pension payments that would have totaled $160 million, and plan to pay themselves with the sale of the liquidated assets of the company. Their current CEO’s main credential for the job is his “expertise in corporate liquidations,” according to the union (he’s also seen his pay triple).

This is an object lesson in how management looks at labor relations these days. Workers are expected to take their lumps, and if they protest, management will just blow up the company. And the owners will still make a profit. This is Romneyism and Bainism writ large. AFL-CIO President Rich Trumka reacted today:

http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/11/16/death-...

“KC's Son got a Meal Ticket!”

Since: Sep 09

Now the basement is clean!

#71520 Nov 16, 2012
Strong Proud Conservative wrote:
The truth is coming out and Petraeus is singing. The CIA knew it was a terrorist attack and were told to keep quiet on it. Obama's house of cards is about to fall.
You forgot to say, "this is just like when the US embassy in Tehran was taken over" and "blah! blah! blah!" is now going to happen.

(Note that a "house of cards" falling over is really no big deal. Could you not make a more significant dire prediction?)

United States

#71521 Nov 16, 2012
But while headlines have been quick to blame unions for the downfall of the company there’s actually more to the story: While the company was filing for bankruptcy, for the second time, earlier this year, it actually tripled its CEO’s pay, and increased other executives’ compensation by as much as 80 percent.

At the time, creditors warned that the decision signaled an attempt to “sidestep” bankruptcy rules, potentially as a means for trying to keep the executive at a failing company. The Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers International Union pointed this out in their written reaction to the news that the business is closing:

BCTGM members are well aware that as the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy earlier this year, the then CEO of Hostess was awarded a 300 percent raise (from approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000) and at least nine other top executives of the company received massive pay raises. One such executive received a pay increase from $500,000 to $900,000 and another received one taking his salary from $375,000 to $656,256.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11/16/1...
Whos The Empty Chair Now

Saint Louis, MO

#71522 Nov 16, 2012
lol wrote:
So companies are laying people off, due to a part of Obamacare that doesn't go into affect until 2014? And the penalties don't affect them until the 2015 tax year?
Bullshit! They are simply looking for excuses to raise their own income, and trying to blame it on something that doesn't yet exist..
Probably because they think te general population is dumb enough to buy it..
Guess they're right about that..
Exactly!!!!
Conservatives have taken Bullshit and made it an artform!

GREAT POST!!!!

#71523 Nov 16, 2012
Albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
Drat, I typed a reply but it disappeared...now it will probably show up twice, lol.
Have you read "The Jungle" (Sinclair) or the "Grapes of Wrath" (Steinbeck). Sometimes I shudder at the thought, times have changed.....human nature, not so much.
My husband was a Federal Meat Inspector, he could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end..... and possibly turn you into a vegetarian, lol.
Alas, over the years I have read few non-technical books, not even Sinclair's or Steinbeck's.(I was trying to "wade through" the book "The Lies of Sarah Palin," but there were so many I quit on page 20.)

I presently get most of my inputs from the Internet (filtered by myself, of course). For entertainment, I watch many movies -- approaching one per day a few years ago.(I watch no TV.)

Out in the "real world," some really strange and disgusting things go on. That's the "nature of the beast," meaning what mankind often does to itself. For example, I refuse to listen to what is contained in hot dogs.

Fortunately, the human digestive system is quite resilient. Sometimes we need the digestive system of buzzards, which survive on carrion, thus cleaning up the environment and keeping many dread diseases from spreading.(I think that dining on carrion must be an acquired taste.)

(Buzzards are sometimes revered. For example, the town of Hinckley, Ohio, has an annual "Buzzard Day," on which the buzzards are expected to return every year, although that is not quite as beautiful and poetic as the return of the swallows each year to Capistrano.)

United States

#71524 Nov 16, 2012
Yellow Dawg Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to say, "this is just like when the US embassy in Tehran was taken over" and "blah! blah! blah!" is now going to happen.
(Note that a "house of cards" falling over is really no big deal. Could you not make a more significant dire prediction?)
He has no shame. His track record of being 100% wrong is still intact. It's amazing that he isn't too embarrassed to show back up.

#71525 Nov 16, 2012
1Watt Hermit wrote:
<quoted text>
He has no shame. His track record of being 100% wrong is still intact. It's amazing that he isn't too embarrassed to show back up.
True. One would think that, with that IQ of 160, he could do better than he does.
The Muslim US Dictator

Ozark, MO

#71526 Nov 16, 2012
WHAT PETRAEUS AFFAIR REVEALS ABOUT YOUR EMAILS
Americans' electronic messages available to law enforcement

http://mobile.wnd.com/2012/11/what-petraeus-a...

#71527 Nov 16, 2012
The Muslim US Dictator wrote:
http://mobile.wnd.com/goofball ...
You're KIDDING? ROFL! When did you wake up, Mr. van Winkle?
smile

Branson, MO

#71528 Nov 16, 2012
sparta again huh? a lot of propaganda gets posted out of there. hmmmmmm. did you watch the agenda?
conspiracies abound

Branson, MO

#71529 Nov 16, 2012
Oboma Lied People Died wrote:
Secession!
One pundit remarked that if all fifty states secede, there would be nothing to secede from.
So it becomes sort of a funny concept.
But Barack Obama is no laughing matter.
America is sick of going to the vomitorium each morning after learning of some new Obama abomination.
We were busy being sick during the past presidential election, learning of the massive voter fraud, sabotaged voting machines, or the fact that Obama mailed out absentee ballots to our troops overseas too late to make a difference or “lost” them. They even had the gall to tell us a plane “crashed and burned” http://nation.foxnews.com/absentee-ballots-us... that contained absentee ballots en route to our troops in Afghanistan.(Any details of the crash mysteriously went down the memory hole).
But that is only half of Obama’s contempt for the rule of law, contempt for the Constitution.
His “we can’t wait for Congress to act” attitude translates into blatantly spurning Congress and making law by executive order, most recently his pseudo-Dream act, conferring amnesty on hundreds of thousands of illegals.
Or his illegal Libyan war, where Defense Secretary Leon Panetta went before Congress and said Obama didn’t need Congress’ approval to topple Gaddafi—he only needed the UN’s approval.
But probably the most onerous aspect of the Obama presidency is his seeking to nullify the Second Amendment via a UN “gun treaty.”
Secessionist and just regular American citizens are buying guns in droves in anticipation that Obama and his blue-helmeted “peacekeepers” will determine that the right to bear arms no longer applies in the United States.
Will the secessionist movement, which now numbers in the hundreds of thousands and is fast approaching a million, lead to anything?
Will it in fact lead to the impeachment of the abomination known as Barack Hussein Obama?
http://www.westernjournalism.com/secession/
what about the reptiloids? grow up.
Election

Branson, MO

#71530 Nov 16, 2012
My guess is in the 2014 midterms, the dems will be well on their way to control the House, if not seize control of it. That would allow the progressives to not have to blame the republicans for blocking their agenda. With the dems having the majority in the senate and house, as well as the White House, they should be able to pass any bill with ineffective resistance from the minority republicans. I believe it will happen!!!

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#71531 Nov 16, 2012
You_are_Lying wrote:
<quoted text>
You are lying about the company you work for, but this IS topix, and you can make up anything you wish! You have demonstrated that MANY times! Now, call me vulgar names like you do everyone else, and show your immaturity!!! LOL
Do I know you?

I am not lying, but this is Topix and you can say that about anybody you want. If you are the person I think you are, you have demonstrated a knack for vulgarity, derision and stupidity far in excess of anything I have done or will ever do. I recall you mentioning something about my 4 year old daughter and what you would do to her. Not only a threat of violence against a child, but one of the violent destruction of innocence. You are a disgusting human being. I also recall you mentioning on two different occassions that you would no longer be talking to me. Yet, just as the last time, here you are again. I don't have to make stuff up when I am surrounded by such sad, pathetic little people. You give me more reality to work with than I will ever need. There is no reason to make anything up when the ammunition you hand me is so much better. Besides, I am honest and honorable. I don't lie. I don't think I am better than other people, but I am better than you.

I figure my vertues are what make those like you so angry. I give you lying little rats a maze of truth to run through and you know you can't do it, so. like trapped rats, you turn viscious.

You take care. I am sorry if you can't see the truth in life and think things are so bad for you. While you wallow in misery and anger, I am going to enjoy spending my bonus and putting that money into our economy.

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#71532 Nov 17, 2012
I see SPC is back making more predictions. SPC, this last election sure was a repeat of the 1980 election. ROFLMFAO!!!

I doubt you can even get the results of that election correct.

#71533 Nov 17, 2012
smile wrote:
<quoted text>
sparta again huh? a lot of propaganda gets posted out of there. hmmmmmm. did you watch the agenda?
General Petraeus has already begun to testify before Congress.

The "he resigned so he would not have to testify about Benghazi" conspiracy theory has been shown to be exactly what it is -- Neo-CON propaganda.

"The only thing he did in the beginning of his testimony is he did express deep regret to the committee for the circumstances for his depature" and reassure the committee that the Libya attacks had nothing to do with his resignation, said Rep. Jim Langevin, R-R.I.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16/petraeus...

(It must be true -- Fox News reported it!_8-)

#71534 Nov 17, 2012
Election wrote:
My guess is in the 2014 midterms, the dems will be well on their way to control the House, if not seize control of it. That would allow the progressives to not have to blame the republicans for blocking their agenda. With the dems having the majority in the senate and house, as well as the White House, they should be able to pass any bill with ineffective resistance from the minority republicans. I believe it will happen!!!
We can only hope. That certainly was the direction in which it went in the 2012 elections.
Who the Empty Chair NOW

United States

#71535 Nov 17, 2012
With the TREASONIST stuff you post...that should really FREAK your crazyass out!

ROLMFAO!!!!
Who the Empty Chair NOW

United States

#71536 Nov 17, 2012
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
You just never know do you dawg!!!!! You just never know when the Rapture may happen either! Israel is one of the signs!
Heads up!
CHEERS!:))
Heads Up????

In your case Norton ...grab hold of your ears and yank your head out of your ass!

NO RAPTURE today ...Tomorrow ...Next day...OR EVER!!!!!
DEAL WITH IT!!!!

God Bless
CHEERS!
Who the Empty Chair NOW

United States

#71537 Nov 17, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
I see SPC is back making more predictions. SPC, this last election sure was a repeat of the 1980 election. ROFLMFAO!!!
I doubt you can even get the results of that election correct.
Great Post!!!
Yes SPCa's the "DICK" Morris of Topix!

Game OVER Point!

United States

#71538 Nov 17, 2012
You must protect yourselves from the Delphi mind control program Obama has secretly instituted. The best way is with AFDB countermeasures as proven by these testimonials:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/testimonials.html

HAARP sites are powering up now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wesco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brittany Ransom (May '15) Oct 8 Watching You 9
new to town (Jul '09) Oct 6 Lookin 3
uglee girls in steelville (Feb '12) Oct 6 Lookin 9
dtb. you're a closet junkie!! (Apr '17) Sep 20 Grow up 11
Be not afraid Sep 20 Grow up 2
i got a Question about dogs (Apr '13) Sep '17 real estate 3
Mike Eaton Sep '17 heyYou 2

Wesco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance