Residents Sound Off About Halfway House

Full story: WFMZ 15
LOWER HEIDELBERG TWP., Pa. -- People living near a correctional center have a lot to say about problems with ex-cons at the facility. Full Story
domino

AOL

#1 Mar 26, 2010
Once a criminal always a criminal. Keep them locked up and out of society where they can't do anymore damage. Keep these kind of places away from society. We don't need their kind causing problems.
feed up

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 26, 2010
I stopped taking Barta to work because of having to deal with them everyday. They act like animals on the bus. I complained to everyone from Barta officials to Senator Spector and nothing happened. These people are still prisioners but they are allowed to ride the bus and go into Reading unsupervised.
Whatever

Macungie, PA

#3 Mar 26, 2010
Grow up already and stop being so racist...people can change and have the ability to...if you are scared of people then go live underground somewhere. It is 2010 not the 1800...grow up!!!!!
Winston Smith

United States

#4 Mar 26, 2010
Odd points of view in here
I'll bet they match the ones
on your heads

I particularly like the lets execute
everyone, you should be careful with that
statement unless you walk the straight and narrow
how about executing people who drive without a license , or someone who has had (1) alcoholic beverage and gets behind the wheel
WHAT YOU SAY
1 DRINK THATS NOT ILLEGAL !!!
Ah yes my friends look it up
you can be arrested for consumption of (1)
alcoholic beverage
how about driving like an a ---hole
you know exceeding the speed limit and wreckless
driving......hang em high
you see your litmus test might not be as strict as mine

the problem lies in the penal system
criminals are locked up
with little rehab taking place
released and re-offend
vicious cycle
Tolteca

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Mar 26, 2010
Halfway house. Whole waste of money. Any scientific proof that anything cures crime and prevents recidivism? Nope.
ralph

Birdsboro, PA

#6 Mar 27, 2010
did i read ministry, why didn't they prevent these people from doing crime in the first place. this is why we should not have church and state mixing. why can't they have a place like this where there aren't other people living, like a big state forrest. reward any citizen who plinks their rear with an air rifle or 12 guage with rock salt if they are on their property after curfew. the officials said they will study the complaints of the residents; why don't they put the place next door to their homes. i side with the residents, it could mean one or more less rape, robbery or murder.
yes

Evart, MI

#7 Mar 27, 2010
feed up wrote:
I stopped taking Barta to work because of having to deal with them everyday. They act like animals on the bus. I complained to everyone from Barta officials to Senator Spector and nothing happened. These people are still prisioners but they are allowed to ride the bus and go into Reading unsupervised.
I am sorry for this horrendous problem for you all.

The state of pa powers slowly, years ago decided to down size the mental hospital residents and put them into the communities where they are now being victimized by horrible neighborhood criminals.

Then corrections saw a chance to use some of the buildins or 1 buildin for these creeps from anywhere. The state workers are always tryin to put a happy spin on their oof ups and they really don't care about your children, your safety, the women, your welfare.

You are absolutely correct in your concerns. We all know that one's personality is formed by age 3 so they are not going to change.

And your township supervisors? Were they there supporting you and the planners? Call them!!!!! See if they care. Like to know.

Know that if and when the hospital eventually closes completely, corrections could take it over and turn it into a full size prison with extremely dangerous and violent perps and again you will have no recourse.

These perps were convicted of perhaps one crime but I uarantee they committed many more in the past and will in the future. Since you are in their crosshairs by your mere proximity, you will be thei first victims.

Contact the police dept and acknowledge your fears.

Clean out all of the drug dealers in your area..Wernersville, LH, SH, Sinking Spring, etc. Dry up their opportunities.

Know that one phone call to a local city dealer will have them delivering drugs directly to them at the pizza shops, stores or on the streets or corners or country roads. That's how it is being done. Then you also have the city element coming to your neighborhoods too.
bloods, crips, netas, latin kings, etc.

Soon you'll have the same drive bys and trash as Reading does because they are the same trash.

And your local pd will not even know what is going on

It'll look like they are asking for directions while the deal is going on

Organize and demand this not happen

This is exactly how neihborhoods and areas decline and how homes are burlarized and women and children raped and killed.

Don't let anyone bs you
basics

Dade City, FL

#8 Mar 27, 2010
Think about the following:

Organize///keep the pressure on

Demand answers...not bs

Get a dog

Install security in home and car

Write down all suspicious license plates and look at drivers and note car model

Keep doors locked

Assign a few, 2 or 3 people to be keep info and support others with police

Document all problems

Tell kids not to talk to strangers

Inform schools and churches of concerns and dangers

Use cell phones to take photos of strangers

Watch your children and women

Let someone know when you are gone for any length of time

Remember...also there might be dangers in your own neighbors too

Get to know one neighbor well to trust

Do not post whereabouts on facebook ,etc

They read them

Keep garages and back doors closed and locked
Disappointed

Reading, PA

#9 Mar 28, 2010
I attended the meeting and am wondering why the local paper or the news channel did not report the statistics given about the types of crimes committed by the residents of the Wernersville CCC. 2 were convicted of 3rd degree murder, 1 of kidnapping, 42 for robbery (a violent offense) and many, many, many for assault. The majority of men are repeat offenders and some have been convicted 5 or more times for various offenses including those of a violent nature. I thought community corrections centers were established to house non violent offenders???

The question was asked "why do we see CCC residents walking back roads that go nowhere" and the Director of the center responded by saying "they are allowed to sign out for leisure and exercise. The State allows repeat and violent offenders to walk in large groups through our community for exercise? There are 240 residents at the center and the minimum sign out is 3 times a day, 7 days a week.

Am I missing something here????
Common Sense

Haines City, FL

#10 Mar 28, 2010
Disappointed wrote:
I attended the meeting and am wondering why the local paper or the news channel did not report the statistics given about the types of crimes committed by the residents of the Wernersville CCC. 2 were convicted of 3rd degree murder, 1 of kidnapping, 42 for robbery (a violent offense) and many, many, many for assault. The majority of men are repeat offenders and some have been convicted 5 or more times for various offenses including those of a violent nature. I thought community corrections centers were established to house non violent offenders???
The question was asked "why do we see CCC residents walking back roads that go nowhere" and the Director of the center responded by saying "they are allowed to sign out for leisure and exercise. The State allows repeat and violent offenders to walk in large groups through our community for exercise? There are 240 residents at the center and the minimum sign out is 3 times a day, 7 days a week.
Am I missing something here????
Let everyone know in Berks, ASK FOR THEIR HELP/

Write a letter to the editor
Post the numbers and crimes on the net...everywhere
Does your pd know
how scary this is for the residents?

I think they thought that due to the low density of the area, fewer would complain...fewer people...fewer voters...fewer complaints
Call the commissioners

call the police departments
call the township supervisors

march if necessary

write to congress and senate about unsupervised inmates, their freedoms unmonitored in groups, their crimes, the numbers of walk aways...THE COSTS TO RECAPTURE THEM...THE DANGERS FOR THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN OF RESPONSIBLE FAMILIES

DONT STOP..POWER IN NUMBERS
AND DONT TRUST ALL OF YOUR NEIHBORS IN THE TOWNSHIP...WORD TO THE WISE
tHE PRISONS ARE FILLED AND THE STATE IS EXPERIMENTING

THIS IS ANOTHER ONE OF THEIR FAILED EXPERIMENTS

WHEN THEY ARE WALKING WHO MONITORS THEM?
WHO IS THE DIRECTOR OF THIS CRAPPY FACILITY?
WHERE DO THEY WORK?
THE WALKAWAYS, WERE THEY CAPTURED? WHEN,WHERE?
HOW MANY EMPLOYEES MONITOR THEM?
WOW

Haines City, FL

#11 Mar 28, 2010
newspaper=county PublicRelations...bad for local tourism dollars and real estate values

document their walks and numbers...take photos, videos..
post em on web site

ask pd to document all calls and manpower dedicated to these creeps and walkaways

document stress and time on residents
is there a local attorney living in area?

get support from all friends and family members

start a petition, get thousands to sign...send to all conress/senate/supervisors

ask all residents to post their thoughts here as evidence...everything they see , fell and hear

make it public!

For the people, by the people
The powers that be hope you will be quiet....

DON'T BE QUIET
resident

Reading, PA

#12 Mar 29, 2010
Whatever wrote:
Grow up already and stop being so racist...people can change and have the ability to...if you are scared of people then go live underground somewhere. It is 2010 not the 1800...grow up!!!!!
I'm all for second chances when someone really wants to change, but where's the change when you have 3, 4 & 5 prior jail terms? That's just blatant no respect for the law.

The majority of these ex-cons are classified as violent offenders, now they're walkin our streets unsupervised. It's not being racist, its being concerned for our family members.
hello

United States

#13 Apr 13, 2010
In today's Republican Herald there is a front page story regarding the dire straits of the penal system in Pa.

Evidently the prisons are quietly sending 2,100 inmates out of state to Michigan and Virinia due to the serious overcrowding in PA.

It says the PA prison population has increased 523% between 1980 and 2009 from 8,243 to 51,326 inmates.

From 2006 to 2009, the number rose 21%.

We have a very high number of prisoners that neeed housing and they are being moved in the middle of the night so no one is allowed to prearrange an escape plan while being moved. They are not notified unntil the evenin of the move.

Read the story and you will realize the seriousness of the prison population in PA.
holy cow

Hastings, MI

#14 May 12, 2010
According to the newspaper this AM resident Dwayne
Moby Brown,39, from Reading went to the welfare office and never returned by 5 PM... previous coke charges.

See news story and photo. 5/12/10 paper

State troopers looking for him...was supposed to serve 2-4 years..guess he decided he needed a break
from his hard time serving in beautiful Berks County...so much for trust and how people can change and all that bs.

One day walking freely around the neighborhood and county with your wives and kids, next day armed troopers searching for him....again!

Hell of a program the state has going there...makes a lot of sense...a prison center near a neighborhoods with innocent people and their homes, children, cars, guns, valuables, etc.

Where are all those..give them a second chance...people can change...they just need another chance? He's probably hiding out with his homies in Reading or another safe house in another city so they can't find him...probably a drug dealing gang member.

I guess when they catch him they'll assign him to live with one of your families because he is so trustworthy.

This is a failed experiment...but the state won't pull it until someone gets raped, held hostage, or killed...taxpayers are expendable...there are lots of you.

Now you taxpayer dollars must pay to have him searched for again, charged again, imprisoned again
...only until he convinces them again that he will behave.

He is only one...

And don't forget...there are murderers out there who have neve been caught or charged..unsolved crimes even in Reading...everywhere...you don't know really what kind of ciminals you have there....

PA is an enabling state for criminals. Unfortunately someone, a cop or citizen will have to be killed before this assinine program is ended.

Don't let it be you.
Carolynne Lasuer

Tunkhannock, PA

#15 Nov 30, 2010
Whatever wrote:
my husband was on drugs and he took the rap for his friends when they were writing bad checks he took the rap for them, that is why he is down there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wernersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lebanon County judge nixes plea deal (Nov '09) Sep '14 lady 63
Steel Fabrication Facilty (Dec '09) Aug '14 walkerwilliam91 5
who stole safe ?? Aug '14 worried to death 1
Wernersville man soils pants inside store, stea... Jul '14 Why is ths news 1
In Berks, e-cigarettes up in smoke (Jan '14) Apr '14 I Smoke Therefore... 8
Kate Gosselin ordered to pay Pennsylvania couns... (May '11) Jan '14 Blazing Ahead 2
Lincoln Park Schook Demolition (Nov '13) Nov '13 Concerned Parent 1

Wernersville News Video

Wernersville Dating
Find my Match

Wernersville Jobs

Wernersville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Wernersville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Wernersville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]