Parent

Wentzville, MO

#1 Sep 10, 2012
Any ideas how big this pack of coyotes is running on North Point Prairie? Suddenly in the last four months they wake us up just outside the house. This is the first in 10 years they've ever been next to the subdivision hunting.
Parent

Wentzville, MO

#2 Sep 10, 2012
Ok, spoke to someone up the road. She said it was more than she could count like 20-30. Hmmm that's a lot more than I thought
Amy

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Sep 11, 2012
We have had them in our yard and all over the "woodlands" off of west Meyer. The other night one came right up to our back door.

Since: Mar 12

O Fallon, MO

#4 Sep 12, 2012
Amy wrote:
We have had them in our yard and all over the "woodlands" off of west Meyer. The other night one came right up to our back door.
I'm guessing animal control is not doing anything. This very bad in a subdivision. I have a 2nd home in the MArk Twain forest area. We do not let our dogs unleashed after dark. I have seen coyotes lure a beagle then eat it while still alive, one on each end ripping apart. It was horrific. Forgive the graphics but this is true. I hear them in the forest chattering. Watch your Children and small pets. Go on the Mo Conservation site and learn their chatter and tracks. Contact Mo Conservation.
Parent

Wentzville, MO

#5 Sep 13, 2012
Thank you. I'll check out the site. I am so sorry about your beagle. How horrific.
ProCCW

O Fallon, MO

#6 Sep 13, 2012
It was not mine, a neighbors. I was watching it sniffing around the field. A Coyote came out wagging its tail all friendly, lured it to edge of woods and a pack emerged. Happened so fast, I did not have time to get my gun. I could not believe Coyotes were so cunning and smart. Do not under estimate them.
Parent

Wentzville, MO

#7 Sep 13, 2012
Thank you for your input I left a message for animal control.
Common Sense

Kimmswick, MO

#8 Sep 13, 2012
Really? It amazes me how little people know about the ntural world around them. Coyotes are the size of a small-medium dog and are naturally shy around people. Why did you call animal control, because they were near your home? Did they threaten your safety? How many people have been attacked by coyotes in our state? If you don't want to live near any wildlife why did you move into an area that is full of farmland and woodlots? You should move to St. Louis where all of the animals besides squirrels and birds have been eliminated. By the way, the beagle murder story is crap, if the person who made it up saw the coyots "lure" the beagle before killing it why didnt he/she do something? Coyotes run from people. Oh no, what was that? I think I heard a killer owl outside!!! Honey call 911!!!!!!
Common Sense

Kimmswick, MO

#9 Sep 13, 2012
We made it, it turns out it was just the wind. You cant be to careful though. Be safe out there everyone.
In the stix

United States

#10 Sep 13, 2012
Seriously? I agree that the animals were here first but no they are not so scared as to run away at first sight especally not in a pack! Our pack out off hwy Z isn't scared of humans and have tried to take off with out aussi and dobe! Thankfully they're extremly dog agressive and chase the pack off. The only thing beside my dogs attacking them is us shooting off a gun... I've almost hit them pulling down my drive way!
ubersauce

Wentzville, MO

#11 Sep 14, 2012
Coyotes are awesome. I have an open field where the coyotes like clock work hunt at a certain time at night for yrs now. I enjoy sitting outside with a beer listening to them howl and chatter. If I shine a spot light at them they all just sit and stare. Even my dogs got used to them and pay them no mind anymore and there tibetian mastiffs. And I agree that a pack of coyotes will kill and possibly eat a dog if confronted with them. My neighbor used to let his dogs chase them all the time till one never came back. Next day he found his dead dog.

O Fallon, MO

#12 Sep 14, 2012
Common Sense wrote:
Really? It amazes me how little people know about the ntural world around them. Coyotes are the size of a small-medium dog and are naturally shy around people. Why did you call animal control, because they were near your home? Did they threaten your safety? How many people have been attacked by coyotes in our state? If you don't want to live near any wildlife why did you move into an area that is full of farmland and woodlots? You should move to St. Louis where all of the animals besides squirrels and birds have been eliminated. By the way, the beagle murder story is crap, if the person who made it up saw the coyots "lure" the beagle before killing it why didnt he/she do something? Coyotes run from people. Oh no, what was that? I think I heard a killer owl outside!!! Honey call 911!!!!!!
The story is true. I was sitting on my deck way on the other side of the field. True Coyotes are shy, one seldom sees them in the wild. But when they are regularly seen the the suburbs, that could mean danger for small pets. Especially if they are regularly finding the area to be a good food source. They can become aggressive defending their territory. There have been cases where coyotes attack humans, but rare. Your Owl comment I know was sarcasm,, but there is a killer owl. The European Eagle Owl is massive in size and will attack dogs.

O Fallon, MO

#13 Sep 14, 2012
In the stix wrote:
Seriously? I agree that the animals were here first but no they are not so scared as to run away at first sight especally not in a pack! Our pack out off hwy Z isn't scared of humans and have tried to take off with out aussi and dobe! Thankfully they're extremly dog agressive and chase the pack off. The only thing beside my dogs attacking them is us shooting off a gun... I've almost hit them pulling down my drive way!
You are right. Scaring them with a loud sound will work.....for a time. Coyotes are SMART. They will figure out the sound will not hurt them. They are cunning, often visit a future feed source ie your dog many times before striking. The pack will lay low and hide, sending one out. Then they join up on the attack. A good sized protective dog usually always works. Either that or just snar or shoot them, if you are allowed. They are too cunning to be lured into a live trap.

O Fallon, MO

#14 Sep 14, 2012
ubersauce wrote:
Coyotes are awesome. I have an open field where the coyotes like clock work hunt at a certain time at night for yrs now. I enjoy sitting outside with a beer listening to them howl and chatter. If I shine a spot light at them they all just sit and stare. Even my dogs got used to them and pay them no mind anymore and there tibetian mastiffs. And I agree that a pack of coyotes will kill and possibly eat a dog if confronted with them. My neighbor used to let his dogs chase them all the time till one never came back. Next day he found his dead dog.
I agree, I llove listening to them as well, but would not want them that close to my home here in town.
Parent

Wentzville, MO

#15 Sep 17, 2012
Yes I did animal control Proccw and asked if they needed to keep track of local packs and no you sarcastic lame-o I didnt ask them to come take them away or any of the other accusations you made because you're feeling pissy. You may need a Snickers you may be a bit sarcastic when your hungry
Parent

Wentzville, MO

#16 Sep 17, 2012
Sorry that response was for CommonSense

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wentzville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Neighbors draining their pool water to my back ... (Jul '10) May 19 Jody 27
City of Foristell's claim that they are not a s... (Jan '08) May 13 No Money 145
FOX2Now May 2 Expert 1
searching for (Jul '09) May 1 MichelleStratton 6
Ofallon people can't dance (Jan '15) Apr 30 Bbedancin 12
Beware of Mark and Pam Hupp in O'Fallon, MO (Dec '14) Apr 29 Fast Forward 200
Poll Is Fairview Manor Trailer Park a nice place to ... (Aug '10) Apr '17 pennys on the dime 38

Wentzville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wentzville Mortgages