Wentzville Teen Seriously Injured in Hwy. 61 Crash

May 15, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

Sydney M. Lance, 16, of Wentzville was seriously injured in an automobile accident Monday afternoon at the intersection of Highway P and Highway 61.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
And This Is News

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Gee, Do you think this is a surprise? Do you think that this was not going to happen again after a cheerleader from Timerland was killed at the VERY SAME INTERSECTION two years ago?

Remember the THIRTEEN deaths along 61 from 2005-2007?

This is the VERY REASON that the Highway 61 Development Corridor needs to be created. However it is obvious that the leaders in Wentzville/St. Charles County want NOTHING to do with Lincoln County on ANY kind of project.

THIS IS NOT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
Sister Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

It's not the road's fault! IT'S THE DRIVERS! Roads don't kill or injure...... drivers not paying attention to what they're doing are the problem! Changing a road still won't cure STUPID!
get a life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

And This Is News wrote:
Gee, Do you think this is a surprise? Do you think that this was not going to happen again after a cheerleader from Timerland was killed at the VERY SAME INTERSECTION two years ago?

Remember the THIRTEEN deaths along 61 from 2005-2007?

This is the VERY REASON that the Highway 61 Development Corridor needs to be created. However it is obvious that the leaders in Wentzville/St. Charles County want NOTHING to do with Lincoln County on ANY kind of project.

THIS IS NOT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
I travel this everyday and other so called dangerous intersection never had a problem if u safely operate them and I agree with others on there post it's not the intersections fault it is the driver, I just pray this girl makes it out ok, but should serve as a reminder to others u have to operate these intersections safely oncoming and outgoing cars are traveling at a very high rate of speed use you head and good judgement which is why you got your license in the first place and you will be just fine
Haras

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

First of all thoughts go out to the young girl injured.

Having said that, like the old hwy C and U intersections before it, hwy P has no visibility obstructions and accidents at these intersections were/are because people are in a hurry or not paying attention.
troy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Love all of the post it's not the road I agree I drive down 61 daily work in O'fallon live in Troy when wait to cross 61 at S. Lincoln people behind me honk because they want me to go and I wait longer. I will go when I feel safe to cross not when others feel I need to because hey are in a hurry.
And This Is News

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

So the new overpasses built at Routes C and U were built because people were stupid? The conflicts created by at-grade intersections and traffic flow had NOTHING to do with it? The 30K + vehicles that travel this route every weekday had NOTHING to do with it?

Highway 61 was NEVER designed to carry this amount of traffic. Highway 61 is now four lanes all the way to the Quad Cities and Minneapolis/St Paul.

Highway 61 is now a MAJOR regional route directly connecting I-70 and I-80. Given the number of three axel tricks that use it, it should be considered a major route of NATIONAL significance.

Please note the stats. Prior to the opening of the Route C and U overpasses, 1 person was dying every two months. The tragedy of 3 children dying at route U in June of 2007 provided the motivation to improve that intersection.

I challenge ANY driver to try and enter 61 at P any weekday morning around 7 am.
And This Is News

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

troy wrote:
Love all of the post it's not the road I agree I drive down 61 daily work in O'fallon live in Troy when wait to cross 61 at S. Lincoln people behind me honk because they want me to go and I wait longer. I will go when I feel safe to cross not when others feel I need to because hey are in a hurry.
They are probably honking at you because you have NO CLUE how to use the south bound acceleration Lane! Happens all the time. People sit there because they are AFRAID to pull out!

The whole reason that lane was extended by MoDOT was to DECREASE the back-up that takes place there every morning. I guess the new South Lincoln overpass is also due to stupid people?

Let's see that makes 3 new overpasses the past 5 years. A total estimated cost of nearly $40 Million for all three. Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on improving traffic safety and flow for stupid people!!!!!
Haras

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

And This Is News wrote:
The tragedy of 3 children dying at route U in June of 2007 provided the motivation to improve that intersection.
Wasn't that the accident where the mom in the van pulled out in front of a dump truck?
And This Is News

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 15, 2012
 
Haras wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't that the accident where the mom in the van pulled out in front of a dump truck?
During the wrongful death trial, it was pointed out that the truck was TURNING in the South Bound Turn Lane to go to LaFarge Quarry. Because of the way the intersection was designed the truck's location BLOCKED THE VIEW of ANY driver coming into the intersection westbound from the METTE ROAD side!

Actually the van was hit by a tanker truck, not a dump truck.

There were FOUR parties involved in the wrongful death suit, NOT including MoDOT.
Haras

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

What was the result of suit? I dont know just curious.

I do know if something is blocking my view, I'm not pulling out onto a hwy and hope nothings there.
troy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

And This Is News wrote:
<quoted text>They are probably honking at you because you have NO CLUE how to use the south bound acceleration Lane! Happens all the time. People sit there because they are AFRAID to pull out!

The whole reason that lane was extended by MoDOT was to DECREASE the back-up that takes place there every morning. I guess the new South Lincoln overpass is also due to stupid people?

Let's see that makes 3 new overpasses the past 5 years. A total estimated cost of nearly $40 Million for all three. Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on improving traffic safety and flow for stupid people!!!!!
No I do have a clue it's dumb asses like you that think you can make it when you cant I will go when I feel safe . This is why I have a perfect driving record and I'm sure you don't.
MoDOT Said So

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

troy wrote:
<quoted text>
No I do have a clue it's dumb asses like you that think you can make it when you cant I will go when I feel safe . This is why I have a perfect driving record and I'm sure you don't.
About a year ago at a C of C Mtg, the engineers from MoDOT talked about this very thing. They were trying to figure out a way for the people entering the highway to USE THE EXTENDED ACCELERATION LANE! It is almost 1000 FT long and SAFE!
troy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

MoDOT Said So wrote:
<quoted text>About a year ago at a C of C Mtg, the engineers from MoDOT talked about this very thing. They were trying to figure out a way for the people entering the highway to USE THE EXTENDED ACCELERATION LANE! It is almost 1000 FT long and SAFE!
Let me see if I can clarify for you to understand. The problem is not getting off S. Lincoln on to Hwy 61. People have an issue getting off Hwy 61 onto S. Lincoln because they are in a rush and think hey can make it when they can't.
miss smarty pants

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 16, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Sister Sam wrote:
It's not the road's fault! IT'S THE DRIVERS! Roads don't kill or injure...... drivers not paying attention to what they're doing are the problem! Changing a road still won't cure STUPID!
unbelievable!!! Do you realize how stupid you sound? Do you also realize road improvements save lives? Here's a little fact for us... In Warren County there were a large amount if cross over accidents and the county Coroner led a campaign to install cable barriers along a stretch of Hwy 70.. The improvements were a HUGE success and have saved a number of lives!! Here's another fact for ya... Anyway you look at it, teens are inexperienced drivers and there are very dangerous roads out there... How dare you blame this child!! Let's see who gets the blame if your child has an accident on a crappy stretch of road.. You obviously don't have any children!! The post was meant to discuss improvements to dangerous intersections, not for you to talk down on this poor girl!!
Sister Sarah

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Road improvements still won't cure stupid! Truth hurts doesn't it? It's simple - pay attention when driving and you won't have a problem!
get a life

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

miss smarty pants wrote:
<quoted text>unbelievable!!! Do you realize how stupid you sound? Do you also realize road improvements save lives? Here's a little fact for us... In Warren County there were a large amount if cross over accidents and the county Coroner led a campaign to install cable barriers along a stretch of Hwy 70.. The improvements were a HUGE success and have saved a number of lives!! Here's another fact for ya... Anyway you look at it, teens are inexperienced drivers and there are very dangerous roads out there... How dare you blame this child!! Let's see who gets the blame if your child has an accident on a crappy stretch of road.. You obviously don't have any children!! The post was meant to discuss improvements to dangerous intersections, not for you to talk down on this poor girl!!
Not sure anyone is saying that road improvements doesn't save lives I think the point that everyone is making is that it isn't the problem or cause to these accidents. Accidents are caused by human error, yes u could improve every area but most intersections if used correctly work without flaw, and my kids are getting to the age of driving now I would sure hope they operate these area like they are supposed to it's the only way to insure your and everones safety, but once again nobody is saying improvements wouldn't help just saying it's not the fault of the accident
POV

Wentzville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 17, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"but most intersections if used correctly work without flaw.........."

You used the term MOST in your statement. I find that interesting. Would you consider the "old" at-grade intersections at Routes C, U and others "most" intersections or are/were they the exception?

If you knew about traffic counts and how ADT, Average Daily Trips, is figured, you would know that the traffic along the Highway 61 Corridor has increased GEOMETRICALLY over the past 10 years. 85% growth, according to the US Census figures, in that corridor from 2000-2010!

The increase in population would DIRECTLY REFLECT the increase in number of J-4, aka fatal, accidents along this stretch of roadway. And don't forget the number of school buses from the Wentzville and Troy School Districts that must enter and exit at the at-grade crossings! FRIGHTENING..........
get a life

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

POV wrote:
"but most intersections if used correctly work without flaw.........."

You used the term MOST in your statement. I find that interesting. Would you consider the "old" at-grade intersections at Routes C, U and others "most" intersections or are/were they the exception?

If you knew about traffic counts and how ADT, Average Daily Trips, is figured, you would know that the traffic along the Highway 61 Corridor has increased GEOMETRICALLY over the past 10 years. 85% growth, according to the US Census figures, in that corridor from 2000-2010!

The increase in population would DIRECTLY REFLECT the increase in number of J-4, aka fatal, accidents along this stretch of roadway. And don't forget the number of school buses from the Wentzville and Troy School Districts that must enter and exit at the at-grade crossings! FRIGHTENING..........
Your right will you shut the hell up now, u not really right but I'll say u are accidents at them intersections were caused by human error sorry but them are the facts, until u get the lawyers involved and then someone has to be held accountable and like always never comes down to human error
miss smarty pants

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Sister Sarah wrote:
Road improvements still won't cure stupid! Truth hurts doesn't it? It's simple - pay attention when driving and you won't have a problem!
so... Your saying this young girl is stupid right? Accidents are in fact a combination of driver error AND conditions whether it be a dangerous intersection or weather.. My point is that road improvements are labeled " improvements" for a reason.. to improve the safety for drivers.. My point to this all is how fare you call this your girl stupid.. Pretty sure if she were someone you loved you would understand more..
miss smarty pants

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 17, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

get a life wrote:
<quoted text>Your right will you shut the hell up now, u not really right but I'll say u are accidents at them intersections were caused by human error sorry but them are the facts, until u get the lawyers involved and then someone has to be held accountable and like always never comes down to human error
nothing but nasty attitude... Sounds like someone has their facts together and your not liking that too much because in turn it is making you look like the "stupid" one...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Wentzville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Wentzville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••