5th Grade Class Goes High Tech

5th Grade Class Goes High Tech

There are 9 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Aug 31, 2009, titled 5th Grade Class Goes High Tech. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

High-tech learning is part of everyday life inside a Waynesboro classroom. Wenonah Elementary School is hosting an educational experiment and excited students are already calling it a success.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Great

Verona, VA

#1 Sep 1, 2009
Speel check makin america dummer with each click
Brian P

United States

#2 Sep 1, 2009
Kids too busy playing with ipods full of drug music to learn anything is exactly what we need to keep out of Fluvanna! When you vote for school board in November, vote Conservative common sense leadership!
DeDe

United States

#3 Sep 1, 2009
I wouldn't judge the technology until you've seen it. Our students are living in the "iPod" world and there's not much we can do as educators to change that. You'd be surprised at the educational material that is podcast and available for download for young students. The students are actively engaged and they're learning. Could they have learned it another way? Probably, but the iPods surely made it easier to get them to want to learn, and with the testing stakes so high, that 5th grade classroom probably has an advantage over other classrooms.
Mike

Bassett, VA

#4 Sep 1, 2009
Brian P wrote:
Kids too busy playing with ipods full of drug music to learn anything is exactly what we need to keep out of Fluvanna! When you vote for school board in November, vote Conservative common sense leadership!
So you are running on a platform of keeping technology that keeps students engaged out of Fluvanna?!? With that attitude, I somehow doubt you have much experience with how kids actually learn, and you don't sound like a very strong candidate for school board to me.

I also doubt the teachers are filling the ipods with "drug music", but there is a great deal of educational material out there to engage students. Maybe you would like to bring back slates, hornbooks, paddles, and dunce caps while you are at it?
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Sep 1, 2009
The word "education" used in the same sentence or phrase with words like "Fluvanna, or Greene,Nelson,Madison, and sometimes Albemarle" is considered an oxymoron.
DeDe

United States

#6 Sep 2, 2009
thinking free wrote:
The word "education" used in the same sentence or phrase with words like "Fluvanna, or Greene,Nelson,Madison, and sometimes Albemarle" is considered an oxymoron.
I disagree. When was the last time you were in a classroom in one of those counties?...and when you come back with "many of those counties did not make AYP (annual yearly progress)" check the Virginia Department of Education website and see how few categories they missed. It's public information. It could just be one cateogry out of many. Teachers and administrators work hard to keep the word "education" in their county vocabulary!
College Bound Fluco

United States

#7 Sep 3, 2009
thinking free wrote:
I completely disagree! In Fluvanna, our teachers work tirelessly to provide a world-class education, despite the pathetic per-student funding the stingy taxpayers provide that ranks in the bottom fifth of the state, the lack of community support, and hostile attitudes of many community so-called "leaders" like "Brian P" above who is evidently running for school board again.

I invite you to check out the latest news on how our schools are doing:

http://www.fluco.org/PR%20-%20Fluvanna%20%20S...

I was a complete mess when I came from Charlottesville, but my teachers here refused to give up on me when everyone else did, Now I plan to attend PVCC for 2 years, get my bachelor's from JMU, and go on to law school. Unlike a lot of people here, I will not forget the people who got me where I am today, and will give back to the community instead of focusing on what I can take from it.
DeDe

United States

#8 Sep 3, 2009
[QUOTE who="Unlike a lot of people here, I will not forget the people who got me where I am today, and will give back to the community instead of focusing on what I can take from it.[/QUOTE]

I applaud you for remembering your teachers! You've made many people smile today by not mentioning anyone by name and allowing all of your teachers to think it was them that helped you along your path. Thank you.
Kevin

Waynesboro, VA

#9 Sep 8, 2009
Yes because ipods only contain drug music. How about all the math tutorials, educational videos, reading tutorials, classical music, speaking and reading software, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wenonah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Stacy L Spinosi Law Office (Jul '09) Apr 26 Eric Krawawecz 14
Debate: Gay Marriage - Woodbury, NJ (Aug '10) Apr 20 Anthony Scarpuzzi 15
dunrite bulkhead company (Aug '12) Mar '16 Lou 7
News Is 30 to life right for ex-cop in murder case? Feb '16 Beannie 2
Brazzi Brick Oven Pizza (Jun '10) Feb '16 Angelina 63
horny Jan '16 Free Mumia 2
Review: South Jersey Turf Techs (May '15) Dec '15 Disappointed 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wenonah Mortgages