Welsh resident opposes golf cart ordinance

Jan 22, 2012 Full story: Jenningsdailynews.net

A former alderman has asked the current officials here to rescind the golf cart ordinance set to go into effect March 1. Joe Van Ness, who served as a Welsh alderman from 1993-2000, told the current Board of AldermEn and Welsh Mayor Carolyn Louviere this week that the golf cart issue should not have been considered.

Full Story
Barbara Reichard

Welsh, LA

#1 Jan 22, 2012
I agree with Mr. Van Ness. We shouldn't have golf carts on the roadways. There is a reason why people should not drive if they are ill, have poor sight, elderly with slowing reflexes, etc. Having golf carts on the streets is like telling people "It's okay if you can't drive a car because you lost your license or because you got into too many wrecks. Here, let us help you get into a few more..." I don't buy the excuse about the carts being cheaper on gas. Many of these people smoke, drink, eat out, shop like everyone else does. If it costs too much to drive, stay home, like everyone else does!! Lastly, we all KNOW that the young children (nieces, nephews, and grandchildren) of the cart owners are going to spend more time behind the wheel than the cart owners themselves. I know this because I've seen it before. The grandson of a very prominent and wealthy woman here in Welsh drove his grandmother's golf cart ALL OVER town without so much as a reprimand from any police officers or town officials. He was about 7-8 years old at the time! Another wealthy landlord here in town got a cart to get around because she had too much trouble walking, yet we see her granddaughter riding all over town. All this has gone on BEFORE the ordinance was ever discussed & voted on. Seems to me like the town officials are trying to get ahead of the speeding bus to make it look like they were in front of the problem when it's been going on all the time and they might just get run over when it gets out of hand....hope for everyone's sake this ordinance doesn't backfire in the town's face if someone gets hurt...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welsh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ringz Dec 16 KnightFall 1
Iowa Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '14 Musikologist 12
Blaze owner disputes illegal drug activity conn... Nov '14 june 57 1
They Hope You Won't Wake Up Nov '14 Guess Who 8
Discuss Nov '14 Ace McMillan 4
Brittany Mott working as a hooker Oct '14 darealdealkilla 2
Will you Vote for MICHAEL C. CASSIDY Jeff Davis DA (Oct '09) Oct '14 pmcl223 24
Welsh Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Welsh People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Welsh News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Welsh

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:36 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:36PM
With loss at Houston, Baltimore's postseason hopes take a hit
ESPN 3:23 PM
Upset after loss, S. Smith jabs Ravens critics
ESPN 3:24 PM
Falcons WRs to CB Lewis: Back up trash talk
Bleacher Report 3:26 PM
Highlights, Recap for Ravens vs. Texans
Bleacher Report 3:58 PM
Is This End of the Line for Brees in NOLA?