Memories of Vietnam: Veterans join to...

Memories of Vietnam: Veterans join to share war experience

There are 20 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 22, 2011, titled Memories of Vietnam: Veterans join to share war experience. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Ray Borrego, right, laughs as he and fellow Vietnam veterans gather Saturday at the Hyatt Place in El Paso to recount stories of their time together with A Company, 2nd Battalion, 5ht Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Be Proud

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 23, 2011
For those that did their duty...be proud. You have earned the pride of all your fellow soldiers and those Americans that supported their soldiers. For those Evaders and Draft Dodgers - or those that had families that allowed them an easy tour in a National Guard unit - be ashamed.

Today we have another unpopular war but the American people are not throwing their soldiers to the wolves like they did during Vietnam. Today the soldiers are the heros and not an antiwar crowd that got all the headlines during the Vietnam war. Even today we have politicians and others embellishing a war experience they never had, just to again use that war for their own self interest. These are the same people that didn't serve or hid behind a skirt then and are still doing the same today.

For those that did put it on the line...you are my kind of American.
Petro

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 23, 2011
It was a police action stupid idiots not like you faced the Ripofflican Gaurd or anything. and you lost , you should be tarred and feathered I wish I could I was at those airports where I could spit on you guys when you got back.
KKK

Phelan, CA

#3 Jan 23, 2011
Yeah they talk how those slot eyed bastardds kicked their arses out of nam.
Puppetmaster

San Marcos, CA

#4 Jan 23, 2011
KKK wrote:
Yeah they talk how those slot eyed bastardds kicked their arses out of nam.
Petro, being stupid comes natural to you. Huh?
Scamp

AOL

#5 Jan 23, 2011
Petro wrote:
It was a police action stupid idiots not like you faced the Ripofflican Gaurd or anything. and you lost , you should be tarred and feathered I wish I could I was at those airports where I could spit on you guys when you got back.
The Iraqi Republican Guard was, by in large, Armored Infantry with variants of the Soviet T72 or older T54 tanks. They went up against US, British and French Armored Infantry which were far more mobile and had, across the board, superior equipment, had far more fire power and had all the arty and air cover necessary. Nets out as no contest at all.
Except in prepared positions and roads, no such thing as armored infantry in Vietnam, not for either side. The US had air mobile infantry, then called Air Cav, as in 1st Air Cav, the NVA had foot mobility and they were fast, real fast, and it usually came down to a slug fest between sides and among foot infantry, and the only US forces that could come close to matching the NVA foot speed were the US Marines and because their fighting doctrine is speed of attack, that's what we do. Simple equation, the NVA fought from stocked and prepared position to position and traveled real light, thus speed. I went up against the NVA 329 A &B Regiments and the NVA 29th Regiment and the closer we got to the Cambodian border, the tougher they got; read better supplied. The Iraqi Republican Guards were nothing but thugs and punks with tanks. The NVA, for the larger part, were fighting foot infantry, not well lead, but tough in the triple canapé jungles.
As a historical point, the last US combat troops were out of VN in 1972. The Soviet Union didn't crush South Vietnam until 1975. I didn't lose my war, nope. The NVA troops got to be jungle bug food and heroes of the Soviet Union, or something like that, I just came home is all.
Keep those spit glands primed, there are a lot of us VN Vets still around and we still know how to deal with that bit of spit business, you bet we do. Well practiced, eh.
Crazy Petro

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 23, 2011
I agree with Puppetmaster.
Rachel

Seminole, FL

#7 Jan 23, 2011
It's too bad criminal traitors like Dan Rather made a career covering the Vietnam War and what's left is a cultural consensus that somehow it was a less-than noble cause and that the war was a failure.

When the US sent advisors and then troops to Vietnam, it was to "draw a line in the sand" for Soviet-Sino Communist expansions. To that effort, the intervention was a huge victory for the US and the West. Never again did the USSR and China team up to turn a country Communists, and the relationship between the two became tenuous at best due to US resistance.

Granted, we never won the hearts and mind of the Vietnamese, most of whom just wanted their own country and eventually got it.

But our veterans can hold their heads high at their effort, and that global Communists aspirations were stopped by them there in the jungles.
Mike

United States

#8 Jan 23, 2011
Petro wrote:
What? Make sense, Moron!!!!!!! Go back to 1st grade and learn how to write.
Yenyaj

United States

#9 Jan 23, 2011
Petro wrote:
If u haven't been there, u need to keep ur mouth shut idiot.
Yenyaj

United States

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Puppetmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Petro, being stupid comes natural to you. Huh?
At least they served there and can talk about it, all u do is make idiotic comments.
Petro

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 23, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Make sense, Moron!!!!!!! Go back to 1st grade and learn how to write.
I passed first grade with flying colors, I just have no respect for the Enlish landwich
Puppetmaster

San Marcos, CA

#12 Jan 23, 2011
Yenyaj wrote:
<quoted text>
At least they served there and can talk about it, all u do is make idiotic comments.
How do you know I did not serve there Petro? Did you serve there or anywhere besides serving the Mexican Army?
Ambush

El Paso, TX

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Thanks to all men and women that served during the Nam. Semper Fi.
Joseph

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 23, 2011
Puppetmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know I did not serve there Petro? Did you serve there or anywhere besides serving the Mexican Army?
Petro has already confessed in a previous forum that he's a middle eastern descendant. This is why he's upset..........FFF off petro whats your real name Jabbaar?????? I don't why you participate in forums if the only thing you do is talk crap. You might want to get another hobby perhaps meeting with all of your sandnigss friends..
reader

El Paso, TX

#15 Jan 24, 2011
petro que honda ese?
postaldude

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Jan 24, 2011
Petro wrote:
Aye Aye, I wish I could have been at the airport so I can spit on you guys, is the the best you could do you Pinche baboso, or shall I say, cobarde. Man up. Siemper Fi.
Petro

El Paso, TX

#17 Jan 24, 2011
Yenyaj wrote:
<quoted text>
If u haven't been there, u need to keep ur mouth shut idiot.
I wouldn't have mind being over there at the Hanio Hilton with McCain live it up partying with all the hookers smoking and joking.
JJay

El Paso, TX

#19 Jan 25, 2011
Petro wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't have mind being over there at the Hanio Hilton with McCain live it up partying with all the hookers smoking and joking.
Petro stop talking about your Tias and grandma..
Petro

El Paso, TX

#20 Jan 26, 2011
JJay wrote:
<quoted text>
Petro stop talking about your Tias and grandma..
Are you trying to say I'm Philapino? I don't know why they use Mexican names they still look like Gooks.
John Slattery

Santa Fe, NM

#21 Jan 29, 2011
Dear Mr. Manriquez, Mr. Mena, Mr. Borrego, Mr. Welsh, and Mr. Omohundro,

Welcome home, and thanks you for your great service.

Best Regards,
John Slattery
USMC; 1963 - 1967l Chu Lai, Vietnam: 1965 - 1966

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welsh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Warren Gary Jan 9 Nate 1
Nickie LeJeune (Dec '15) Dec 26 Dr pepper 3
Angele font new man is yuck Nov '16 High maintenance 4
Missy Attales (May '16) Nov '16 Larry rougeau 3
Looking for freaks i Elton (Jan '15) Nov '16 Ladies man 2
News Jennings Murder Investigation: Behavior Profile (Aug '09) Nov '16 Jack 55
Courtney Durio (Jun '12) Nov '16 Lauren 3

Welsh Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance