OSBI Hopes Reward Cracks Open Cold Case

OSBI Hopes Reward Cracks Open Cold Case

There are 21 comments on the KTUL-TV Tulsa story from May 29, 2007, titled OSBI Hopes Reward Cracks Open Cold Case. In it, KTUL-TV Tulsa reports that:

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is hoping a 5-thousand-dollar reward will help crack a 15-year-old cold case. via KTUL-TV Tulsa

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTUL-TV Tulsa.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
gene barry

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Jun 4, 2007
i have a friend that was muder in 1997 owener of a bingo game at n.e.36 and kelley
weed wacker

Jena, LA

#2 Jun 4, 2007
good luck
Judith File

Fort Smith, AR

#3 Jul 17, 2007
I wonder if the case on Judith File, murdered in 1963-4, has ever been solved. I worked with her roommate.. and have often wondered if they ever solved the case. They suspected the dentist that she worked for..
JUSTICE FOR THE DEAD

Pauls Valley, OK

#4 Jul 5, 2010
Sign the Chanda Turner Reform Bill Petition so her case won't grow cold:

www.justiceforthedead.com
ateupcowgirl

Haskell, OK

#5 Jul 4, 2012
Judith File wrote:
I wonder if the case on Judith File, murdered in 1963-4, has ever been solved. I worked with her roommate.. and have often wondered if they ever solved the case. They suspected the dentist that she worked for..
As the daughter of the daughter of the man acquitted for her murder, it is my understanding that they never pursued any other leads and were hell-bent on pinning her murder on my father. In a day and age where DNA is so common, My brother and I would love to clear his name, once and for all. It saddens me that so many of her friends and family still have so much unresolved pain. May Peace Be With Them!
john

Union City, OK

#6 Jul 5, 2012
I can tell you they are going to do only what they want to do. If it is murder and they have to do real work they won't lazy!!!!!!!scum of the earth... I had A Nephew murdered they did nothing And I mean nothing I had A brother murdered they did nothing.......reward my ass.....cold case my ass they can not do shit.....I promise you it is the family that put up the five grand these sob's use the money for a pay raise......and yes they can convict a innocent man.....WHATEVER LIEING POS...
Sue Pittman

Indiahoma, OK

#7 Jul 6, 2014
I was a young girl when I heard about this. My parents and I were over at their friends house in the evening. I remember it being dark. This was the first murder I heard about. Everytime, to this day when I go past that house, it scares me.
A beautiful lady murdered. I remember being told from the newspaper that the roommate asked her to go with her, think it may have been the movies, but again I'm not sure. Judith said no and she was tired. There was a rape, gasoline poured over her and burnt the evidence.
That is the way I remember it.
I would never live in that house or near it.
Who did this to her? The Dentist or who? Was her friend in on it?
Wow

Jenks, OK

#8 Jul 11, 2014
Hope they find out who did it
Jean Bustos

Montezuma, IA

#9 Feb 25, 2015
I remember reading about it . I was just a little girl, but the horror of it stayed with me & eventually propelled me into a life-long career as a police reporter.
muryjo

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Jul 24, 2015
ateupcowgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
As the daughter of the daughter of the man acquitted for her murder, it is my understanding that they never pursued any other leads and were hell-bent on pinning her murder on my father. In a day and age where DNA is so common, My brother and I would love to clear his name, once and for all. It saddens me that so many of her friends and family still have so much unresolved pain. May Peace Be With Them!
I remember this case very well, I knew the man that was tried and acquitted. Have you and your brother tried to submit DNA to prove the acquittal was correct? I was under the impression that they stopped investigating because they were sure they had the correct man. If he did not do this, I would love for them to figure out who did. There has been no closure for Judith's family.
Howard

Bristow, OK

#11 Sep 17, 2015
My friend and I lived just down the street from this while going to school in OKC, we knew Judith and were scarred to death at night. So very sad with all the ways to solve cold cases that this has not been solved. I don't remember her employer being a suspect, just remember they questioned her boyfriend, they both were from Bristow.
Nanaloves4

Breckenridge, TX

#12 Feb 10, 2016
I was working that night for the OKC PD when she was murdered. I can still remember the smell on the homicide officers when they gave their report, the smell of something burning. I typed the report and have wondered all these years if anyone was charged. The city was really shaken up as it was such a brutal murder.
Debi

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Feb 26, 2017
Judith File was my sister's age. Judith was the assistant to my family's dentist on N. Penn at N.W. 16th street. His name was Dr. Olsgard (spelling may be incorrect) & he reminded me of Boris Karloff. I never liked him, never trusted him & when Judith was murdered, my family & I suspected him. Needless to say, we never went back to him. I remember Judith telling my mom & me that she was from Illinois, which is where we were from. Sometimes I drive past the old building & think of Judith. The area where her little apartment was behind the building looks to be paved over & is now a driveway. Funny---the crime scene was right across the street from the fire station...
HopeforJustice

United States

#14 Feb 27, 2017
Debi wrote:
Judith File was my sister's age. Judith was the assistant to my family's dentist on N. Penn at N.W. 16th street. His name was Dr. Olsgard (spelling may be incorrect) & he reminded me of Boris Karloff. I never liked him, never trusted him & when Judith was murdered, my family & I suspected him. Needless to say, we never went back to him. I remember Judith telling my mom & me that she was from Illinois, which is where we were from. Sometimes I drive past the old building & think of Judith. The area where her little apartment was behind the building looks to be paved over & is now a driveway. Funny---the crime scene was right across the street from the fire station...
I think your post has some very important information in it. Her house BURNED? No recent moves to extract or compare new DNA from people in that area, including neighbors and firemen? No assumptions, as it seems to read someone who was not guilty was already prosecuted. I hope you all get the answers you seek.
debi

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Mar 5, 2017
HopeforJustice wrote:
<quoted text> I think your post has some very important information in it. Her house BURNED? No recent moves to extract or compare new DNA from people in that area, including neighbors and firemen? No assumptions, as it seems to read someone who was not guilty was already prosecuted. I hope you all get the answers you seek.
I know she was burned after the assault, but I don't remember if her apartment was totally destroyed in the fire. I contacted the OCPD Detective Bureau several years ago to ask if the case was ever solved. The man I spoke with remembered the case & sent me a copy of the documented account, which unfortunately I have misplaced. Judith's death has always haunted me...
Ateupcowgirl

United States

#16 Mar 10, 2017
My father, who was accused and tried for this unthinkable crime, passed away in 2010 and since he donated his body to medical science at OU Medical Center, they were able to finally obtain a DNA sample, after my brother and I had already provided one. The sample definitively did not match any of the evidence in the Judith File case.

It is my understanding (from legal briefs, depositions, and the OKCPD's & DA's evidence logs, witness statements, ect.) that she was repeatedly raped, sodomized, stabbed multiple times, and then set on fire. Miss File did not have a boyfriend. She and her family were from Stillwater as was my father and his family. Miss File had moved to OKC to go to work for a dentist and my father worked for Mr. Gene Smeltzer and Mr. Jimmy Valliant (who owned a cafeteria across from the Old Bone & Joint and Saint Anthony Hospital; and later a partner in the ValGene Corporation) as well as Mr. Basil McDaniel (They were hair stylists specializing in pageant hair, touring as the permanent hair dressers for The Supremes, and society matrons when Quail Creek was the up and coming Country Club in Oklahoma City).

My father was acquainted with Miss File as she had briefly dated one of his younger brothers, had went on a double date with another friend of his, and her parents had attended the same church with my grandparents for a number of years. Miss File was also acquainted with my father's deceased first wife, as 1st Runner Up in a local beauty pageant that my father's wife won.

A jailhouse snitch claimed my father confessed to the murder while serving time for Grand Larceny in McAlester. My father was a trustee who lived outside the walls at the dairy. A witness claimed to have seen a man who fit his description but who he couldn't pick out of a lineup, leaving Judith File's apartment. The witness claimed to have almost run him over but that my dad out ran his car and that he never saw Miss File's apartment engulfed in flames.(Cont)
Ateupcowgirl

United States

#17 Mar 10, 2017
(Cont. From Previous Post - Part 2 )

The fire department was across the street and they quickly extinguished the fire which was contained to Miss File's bedroom and a portion of the living room wall. Miss File's roomate went to the movies and later for a nightcap with her date. Her bedroom was on the opposite side of the apartment and barley even showed signs of smoke damage. The carpet in the apartment was ivory and showed minimal smoke damage. The trail of blood from Miss File's bedroom to the front door and out to curb was easily visible and was an enormous piece of evidence. It ia believed that Miss File fought her rapist/murderer until she was set on fire and was believed to have caused an enormous amount of defensive wounds to him as well as signs she caused major trama to one of his eyes, due to the amount of occular tissue recovered from the fingernails of her right hand.

My father's attorney, DC Thomas (a former prosecutor -- My father was his first major criminal defense case) and his law clerk, the Stephen Jones (who later defended Roger Dale Stafford, Timothy McVeigh, and countless others), proved that the police investigation was compromised from the outset. My father had a solid alibi of more than 25 witnesses (He had spent the evening at the Chandelle Club with a date, was noticed arriving and leaving in Mr. Basil McDaniel's convertible as he could not physically drive his own vehicle, an Austin Healey, due to injuries incurred on a snow skiimg accident, leaving him unable to properly shift gears as he could apply the meeded pressure to the clutch) when the jailhouse snitch (who had his life sentence commuted and reduced to 25 years- of which he had already served 23 years- supposedly due to his ailing health) testified he was driving a corvette that my father had not owned since early 1960 (In fact, the car was sold to pay for my father's 1st wife's funeral after she was killed in a tragic accident), and Dr. Margo, of the former Bone & Joint hospital, testified that he couldn't have run anywhere, due to the fact that he suffered from Morten's Neuroma and needed staples in his left ankle removed from a snow skiing injury in Aspen several weeks before. That injury was surgically repaired, as well as the two major nerves in each foot removed due to the Morten's Neuroma, three days after the murder of Miss File occurred. My father was on crutches 2 weeks prior to the murder and two weeks after. In all of his medical records, no scratches, burns, or lesions were reported.

Miss File had skin, blood, and hair removed from her body, under her fingers nails, and her genital region. The prosecution did not even present the blood evidence found on Miss File or outside the crime scene because the blood types did not match. This evidence was later "lost" but vaginal secretions and seminal fluid found on her body and what was left of her clothing and the linens on her bed were left intact, as well as on the upholstery on her sofa. It was the sexual assault DNA which has cleared my father's name and reputation more than 40 years after this horrific crime occurred.

(Cont.)
Ateupcowgirl

United States

#18 Mar 10, 2017
(Cont. From Previous Post - Part 3)

My father was harassed and charged because he was a ladies man, with a felony conviction, who flaunted his friendships with important, wealthy people who lived alternative lifestyles (being a wealthy homosexual in the late 1950s-1960s in the Oklahoma bible belt was a HUGE NO-NO) as well as not being ashamed of his association with African American people he called his "friends." My daddy was a charming, smooth talking (his relationship with women and his later 30 year career as "The Crackerman"), whose best friend's included important business men, famous entertainment acts, several politicans, more than one high ranking law enforcement officer, several oilfield company heads, a couple of influential Southern Baptist pastors, and a slew of high society, wealthy women. His biggest problem was that he was that he had a heart of gold and loved people. Anyone who knew him well, will tell you he was a character but that he had a strong sense of loyalty to both his family, friends, and business associates. He had a strong work ethic and enjoyed the finer things in life...fast cars, pretty women, good scotch, and a fine cigar. He believed money talked and bullshit walked. He called a spade a spade. His handshake was his word and his word was gold. He was very outspoken and some were embarrassed by that.

Sadly, my grandparents suffered horribly and our entire family was slandered in the newspaper (The Daily Oklahoman) for almost 10 years, causing lasting financial repercussions, as well as harassment from law enforcement, and the tarnishing our family's reputation and pride. My brother and I were taunted about our father from the time we started school to well into our teens. There were repercussions that affected our lives before we were old to understand, many years after my father was exonerated. We were punished too. I have never been ashamed about any portion of my father's life as he taught us what integrity, responsibilty, love, and forgiveness adds not only to an individual's life but to those around them as well.

I hope that sometime in the near future, Miss File's killer will be brought to justice. It has been over 40 years since Miss File's death and her family deserves that in the very least. Hopefully, whoever committed this atrocious crime is still living and can be held accountable to the fullest extent of.the law, as they charged my father with 1st degree murder and the DA emphatically stated he would seek the death penalty, due to the violent nature of all three crimes committed against Miss File.

I completely understand the anger they felt when my father was acquitted, especially since no other leads were followed or other suspects pursued, as the good old boy system who tried pinning this horrific crime on an innocent man and failed by shoddy forensic police work. I've shared all the information gained from my father's legal defense, the media, and the actual investigation files (That investigators have claimed were lost) which include depositions, photos, OSBI findings, and my family's DNA as well as my fathers with law enforcement. I pray all this isn't too little too late. God Bless the File family. May they find the peace and justice they so rightly deserve.

E. Autry
curiousyearslate r

Beachwood, OH

#19 Mar 28, 2017
Your fathers 1st wife died because he shot her! Years of research led me to this page. Jeannie was my cousin.
curiousyearslate r

Beachwood, OH

#20 Mar 30, 2017
Ateupcowgirl wrote:
(Cont. From Previous Post - Part 3)

My father was harassed and charged because he was a ladies man, with a felony conviction, who flaunted his friendships with important, wealthy people who lived alternative lifestyles (being a wealthy homosexual in the late 1950s-1960s in the Oklahoma bible belt was a HUGE NO-NO) as well as not being ashamed of his association with African American people he called his "friends." My daddy was a charming, smooth talking (his relationship with women and his later 30 year career as "The Crackerman"), whose best friend's included important business men, famous entertainment acts, several politicans, more than one high ranking law enforcement officer, several oilfield company heads, a couple of influential Southern Baptist pastors, and a slew of high society, wealthy women. His biggest problem was that he was that he had a heart of gold and loved people. Anyone who knew him well, will tell you he was a character but that he had a strong sense of loyalty to both his family, friends, and business associates. He had a strong work ethic and enjoyed the finer things in life...fast cars, pretty women, good scotch, and a fine cigar. He believed money talked and bullshit walked. He called a spade a spade. His handshake was his word and his word was gold. He was very outspoken and some were embarrassed by that.

Sadly, my grandparents suffered horribly and our entire family was slandered in the newspaper (The Daily Oklahoman) for almost 10 years, causing lasting financial repercussions, as well as harassment from law enforcement, and the tarnishing our family's reputation and pride. My brother and I were taunted about our father from the time we started school to well into our teens. There were repercussions that affected our lives before we were old to understand, many years after my father was exonerated. We were punished too. I have never been ashamed about any portion of my father's life as he taught us what integrity, responsibilty, love, and forgiveness adds not only to an individual's life but to those around them as well.

I hope that sometime in the near future, Miss File's killer will be brought to justice. It has been over 40 years since Miss File's death and her family deserves that in the very least. Hopefully, whoever committed this atrocious crime is still living and can be held accountable to the fullest extent of.the law, as they charged my father with 1st degree murder and the DA emphatically stated he would seek the death penalty, due to the violent nature of all three crimes committed against Miss File.

I completely understand the anger they felt when my father was acquitted, especially since no other leads were followed or other suspects pursued, as the good old boy system who tried pinning this horrific crime on an innocent man and failed by shoddy forensic police work. I've shared all the information gained from my father's legal defense, the media, and the actual investigation files (That investigators have claimed were lost) which include depositions, photos, OSBI findings, and my family's DNA as well as my fathers with law enforcement. I pray all this isn't too little too late. God Bless the File family. May they find the peace and justice they so rightly deserve.

E. Autry
i apologize for my comment below, I have always wondered about the way my cousin died. Your dad and uncle were experts with guns so it was hard to believe that either one would have been so carless as to slip and shoot Jeannie in the chest

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wellston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News City Of Stillwater Hacked For Resident's Person... 12 hr theyroll 1
News OK County acting sheriff: Let's keep working to... Wed rationalchaos 3
News Cleanup Begins In Elk City After Tornado Levels... Wed asiseeit 29
Prostitute Taryn Huffman: Gets Off Easy on DUI Wed Jamie Dundee 2
News The Morning Brew: Suspicious suicides Wed againandagin 7
Oklihomi a State of Ignorance, Gotta Love It Wed More Tax Cuts n P... 1
News Sapulpa Police Find 2 Live Explosive Devices In... Wed avgwhtrash 2

Wellston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance