AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Thank you all for the comments 18, 19 and 20
there are those who talk about men (in general) being insensitive, I find it difficult to convey in print sincerity of what I write, but for those who know me, realize I do speak my mind/believes and am, being sincere with my answers.
2nd.) Yes I built Dr. Wright's home several years ago. I had known her for several years prior when she started at Riverview. I actually recruited Riverview district to be a chamber member. I started my business in 1988 after working for my father/uncle since 1975. I started my company to be strictly Custom Home building. Due to my "involvement" with the Chamber, Rotary, Catholic Church, Marygrove, Rosary, Aquinas
and Christian hospital (all before the school board) gave me opportunities to meet and mingle with prominent N County folks. I have built for many prominent people. Just not enough of them.
Our business is small in comparison. We are not standard track row housebuilder. We are not an assembly line. Quality-cannot be achieved fast and unfortunately it's not cheap. I tell every client that the house is free-what you pay for is me personally. Everything we have ever built has been drawn and design by me. We do not bid anything, let alone someone else's drawings.
Opinions vs Accusations

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Pethead wrote:
My comments about school districts wasn't targeted at Hazelwood School District. But I live in Florissant and my tax dollars go to Hazelwood School District. I have no problem with the schools not being in the boundaries of Florissant.
My problem with school districts in general, is that they will have a windfall of revenue this year due to the reassessment of property taxes. How will the increase in revenue of school taxes affect the money the state of Missouri allocates for all the St. Louis area school districts?
And to deny any misappropriating or wasting funds in any school district is living in denial. Even the best run corporation has misappropriation and waste. There may not be any one large sum of monies that are wasted, they are easier to spot. It's the nickel and diming that goes on and it goes on in every business and even city government. If school districts don't engage in this practice, it's the first business that hasn't.
You are certainly entitled to your Opinion, we all have opinions. However, when your opinion becomes accusation, without any substantiation, it is hurtful, mean, ill prepared, and meaningless. There is a difference. Unless you can back up, you are doing a disservice.
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

3rd.)(Overspend, misappropriate-but legally?)
sounds like an oxymoron. Let's start off by going to the HSD web site hazelwood.k12.mo.us
under the menu list (About Us) click on DESE Data.
This link provides so much data and information.
Spreadsheet's of yearly information pertaining to demographics, monthly state payments to district, state funding formula, tax rates spreadsheet, school district yearly budget broken down into categories, and the list goes on. We have over $260 billion a year budget as a district. Each only principle is responsible for their own buildings yearly budget. These individual budgets are presented to administrative staff and the board for approval or denial. One/previous Year's budget does NOT dictate or influence next years building budget. UN-used budgeted money's are not deleted or stripped away. Yes many years ago
under "old policies" leftover money's were spent on merchandise (paper,pens) for the buildings for the next year, so to eliminate a reserve (year end)fund that was paid out teachers as a yearly bonus. This procedure was eliminated with teacher negotiations in which I sat on years ago.
If the question is- "do I know where every penny goes" , the answer is NO. It would be easy at the individual building level for someone to misappropriate some small amount of money. But with our checks and balances procedures it would be found very quickly. Continued
Pethead

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Mark J B wrote:
I apologize for being ignorant as to how to work posting comments on this forum. Unfortunately it's getting frustrating losing everything I write. I will continue some other time but I will continue, Mark
Mark, I have found in the past when I'm writing a comment and I refrain from typing due to outside interference like phone calls that the message system times out. After it times out and you enter the code and hit submit, your comment doesn't show up and it takes you back to the main subject screen.

A way to get back what you typed is to use the 'back' button on your browser, copy what you originally typed and 'copy'. Then you can paste it back into a new reply box and enter the code and it will accept it. Also, I'm not sure how many characters you can type into a reply box. But if you exceed the maximum characters it won't post your comments either.

Back on the topic of building a house for someone. I believe you or anyone else who owns a business can provide your services since that's what I thought free enterprise was all about. Whoever brought up the home construction for a district superintendent is trying to make it sound like a Halliburton deal. Some people have nothing better to do than to use their imagination to look for conspiracy. I don't know you personally, but you seem like an okay guy.

I know someone on the school board who I believe either is a teacher or was a teacher in the district. I suppose we should find a conspiracy with that too? I think not.

“Voice of the Valley”

Since: Aug 07

Valley of Flowers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

just to clarify.

I didn't say that "I" felt the City Council controlled the school budget. I said, if Floman thought his tax dollard were being spent poorly by the schools he could work to have the council pass a law not to give his tax dollars away (in this case I meant the County Council and City Council).

Secondly, I think that teachers are terribly underpaid. Now, I think that the teacher's union is partially to blame for this, and parents are partially to blame. It amazed me that many parents want to get their kid's future on the discount plan and save a few tax dollars.
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

If some one is interpreting last years "you paid for it" show. Well it would take me too long here to explain. But briefly- by state law and through teacher negotiations, the district is required to provide a percentage of its yearly budget for a teacher continuing education. Also there is a fund
for continuing education of administrators. There is also a fund budget for board members. Once Someone is elected as a school board member it is a state requirement within the first year to attend classes to become a certified board member CBM. It is then suggested by the Missouri school boards Association for board members to continue their education as board members to receive the second level of certification. The highest level of certification (third step) is receiving your Masters certification. Currently all of our board members are working toward that. I have received my Masters and it has taken 10 years to do so. These classes for board members are mainly held in the state but must travel to other parts of the state. National conventions are A requirement in order to obtained your Masters. It is the philosophy and good business practice of the HSD
to provide funding TO all employees to further their education. That is a school philosophy throughout country. Most large private businesses also require and provide funding to further one's education. It's called practice what you preach-none of us are ever smart enough. Continued
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

#25 thank you for the help. I've spent all my years trying to be a GOOD builder, and involved with everything else but a computer education.
I am sincerely not trying to start a fight,upset,
argue, or debate someone's opinion's. But I am merely trying to express myself and my opinions
in hopes of trying to be responsible. I am sure some will view my responses as negative, or matter of fact what else would he said. But I'm hoping it is an honest attempt to provide information. There is no thought of conspiracy or desire of mine to become a regular to blogs, I mean no disrespect but this is a tremendous time-consuming thing for me. I am not good at it
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

4th.) I do not believe anyone MEANT in saying that I was involved in any type of illegal activities, but some unknown person who stumbled across this site may interpret something negative.
Again it becomes a responsibility of wording one's opinions that leads to consequences of others that may or may not be correct, but could be very effective.
It would be quite easy for me to explain how good a guy I am, but my ego is not as large as as others in our town, my philosophy is proof in action's, and involvement not from my mouth.
5th.) School buildings within the city limits?
Yes-Hazelwood junior high= middle school, but also
Walker, Lusher, Jana, McCurdy, and Lawson all elementary schools. I do not expect (A TEACHER) presumably a new high school teacher to know of all school buildings in the district. The school website does show a map as well of the entire school district and building school locations. Although city boundaries are not identified.
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

6th.) There is no question under new leadership there has been changes. Most view positive, some negative, and a few with a wait and see. I cannot express enough for anyone who really wants to know about the school district (in depth) to go to the website. Yes there are those who don't have computers- there are routine mailings, phone calls, and letters sent to home with children as well as routine newsletters and our cable station Channel 99. School district is doing everything capable to be informative, open, and transparent.
The key to all of this is that people (parents) must (expend time) and get back to (investing)in their children. I realize I am preaching to the choir to many of you readers but frankly many of your neighbors "do not get it".
The school district has invited the community on several occasions to participate and get involved. On the website is the best example. 231 page document created by the community task force is available for all to read. The Hazelwood first initiative which started with over 2000 people, residents who participated and guided our school district with all of the changes currently happening. Building 4 new middle schools, moving sixth grade to middle school, opening space in elementary schools for all-day kindergarten, remodeling existing elementary schools to meet state standards with libraries and media areas, and yes a vote of the public for bond issues and tax increases. As well as many other changes.
All The board did was listen to the community committees recommendation's and approve exactly the community's request.
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

7th.) The Board of Education has worked very hard creating establishing and implementing school policies for now and for in the future. These procedures remove a lot of vulnerability of the district towards politicians playing politics.
I will admit many years ago politicians did play politics within the system. But as with many changes this to has been virtually eliminated.
I/WE still have work to do, and fortunately the current seven of us board members are working very hard TOGETHER making positive changes.
As with any business/employment/job changes are a struggle and met with some resistance. It time this will change as well.
The biggest accomplishment that most do not realize the impact, has been our improvement plans test scores of which we are judged by the state of Missouri. HSD was the only district out of 530 throughout the state that inproved as much as it did. Over the past two weeks we have been visited by the State Department DESE twice commending our accomplishments. True accomplishments are rarely felt OR experienced first-hand, but, if it would've went the other way
every resident, taxpayer, landowner, voter, not only would have known about it, but would have experienced that dilemma. I praise the front-line people-(THE TEACHERS) who had been driven to work hard with all of your children. I thank the administrative team who come up with challenges and changes for our system to turnaround and be implemented. The board DID NOT teach your children, the board DID NOT create a plan to implement, the board DID (and continues to do so)
listen to changes, learn and understand philosophies, and make a final decision to be implemented. We don't have a go school district school district, WE HAVE A GREAT ONE. Is it perfect? WE ARE WORKING ON IT.
Pethead

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Opinions vs Accusations wrote:
<quoted text>
You are certainly entitled to your Opinion, we all have opinions. However, when your opinion becomes accusation, without any substantiation, it is hurtful, mean, ill prepared, and meaningless. There is a difference. Unless you can back up, you are doing a disservice.
Thanks for allowing me to have my opinion. But it isn't my opinion that my real estate taxes went up last year, thus increasing my house payment. It's not my opinion but fact that the increases in property taxes will add more revenue for school districts. They are the largest percentage of taxes in the pie.

Now for my opinion of people that can't even use the same screen name twice. From reading the previous posts in this thread, you seem to also be Here we Go Again. If you have no problem with thirty or forty percent increase in assessment, then you have more money than you know what to do with. Or maybe you're only a renter who doesn't have to deal directly with the increases in real estate taxes only in the STL area and not in the outlying areas of the state.

Just my opinion!
Mark J B

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Finally the ending
I wish to apologize if I seem boring, and in no way am I judging anyone's comments or opinions.
I learned during my first year on the board
that when I received an anonymous letter as to what was wrong with the school that I must be cautious making accusations as to correcting what I interpreted to be a problem. Philosophy- two sides to every story.
I stay off the blogs deliberately because I do not believe in anonymous anything.(just my opinion) it is not my nature or my business practice/procedures to withhold something, it is almost too easy and possibly dangerous. Of course it is also dangerous sign your name to letters such as this, but I believe it was a calculated risk. I really am not as boring as my wife thinks I do take some risks. But if anyone, and I mean anyone has a question about the school district, or even personally about me called me at my office. My home phone is listed but I do have caller ID, I do not have caller ID at my office, too expensive for businesses. If I am available I will take your call at that time, Cathy who answers office calls is trained to take a lot of information so if I am unavailable that I can get back to you quickly with an answer's. Company listing M.J.Behlmann Const.INC.
thank you all for your patience, kind words of help/instruction, and most importantly opinions. I always welcome constructive suggestions.
Mark J B
Seek the truth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Check what I posted under Elbert Walton editorial it is applicable to what is being discussed here.
orion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

J-Dub in Ward 8 wrote:
just to clarify.
I didn't say that "I" felt the City Council controlled the school budget. I said, if Floman thought his tax dollard were being spent poorly by the schools he could work to have the council pass a law not to give his tax dollars away (in this case I meant the County Council and City Council).
Secondly, I think that teachers are terribly underpaid. Now, I think that the teacher's union is partially to blame for this, and parents are partially to blame. It amazed me that many parents want to get their kid's future on the discount plan and save a few tax dollars.
J-Dub you are still confused.
The county council is composed of seven individuals elected from districts on the partisan ballot throughout the county. The function of the county council is to pass laws for the unincorporated parts of st louis county.
Mike O'mara represents the 4th district which is the terrritory south of 270 and east of new halls ferry and the area north of 270 to a line that cuts through the western part of the city of florissant. The county council has absolutely nothing to do with school district budgets and has no authority to appropriate money for the school districts, to set budgets for same or to prohibit spending for certain items.

The same is true for the city council of flomo except that they pass laws for the city of florissant and they have no authority over the spending of money for school districts. The eastern part of the city is in ferg-flor SD and the western in HSD.

RHe fire district is totally seperate as well and part of the city east of new halls ferry is in the black jack FPD.

Hence we have five different entities-city of flomo, HSD, Fergflomo SD, County council and city council.

J-Dub I dont mean to be pedantic but it is obvious you are somewhat confused.
orion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Sorry-I forgot the fifth entity is the fire districts.

“Voice of the Valley”

Since: Aug 07

Valley of Flowers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Orion,

Who said anything about Mike O'Mara?

All I said was that if you elect people to represent you who don't want to tax you for schools, then you won't be taxed. I was simply hypothetically responding to Floman's alleged worry about the spending at the Hazelwood School District.

Please explain to me which entity takes my money from my personal funds and distributes it to the schools, since I don't go down there and write a check; except for the 45 supplemental fund raisers they hold each year.

This whole thread was merely a diversion IMO to bait people into attacking Mark Behlmann and thus prove once again the "negativity" of Topix.

I really appreciate Mr. Behlmann adding his insight to the topic. I hope that some people who didn't have a great knowledge of the HSD learned something. I know I did.
orion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

The HSD was formed in the mid 1950s from and out of the merger of 13 small rural districts, creating a 78 sq mile district reaching from columbia bottoms on the east to bridgeton on the west. The southren boundary is not hiway 270 but slightly south of same.

Hiway 270 did not exisit at the time of the establishment of the district and the southren boundary essentially cut through fields.

The northren tip of the city of bellefontaine neighbors starting slightly south of Belgrove drive, comprising the bellabrook subdivision, the private court on top of belgrove and most of the homes on belgrove are in HSD.

The northren tip of Hathaway Manor south is in HSD, along with the northren tip of Dellwood, Central city [old name]which is in the city of ferguson and the subdivision in ferguson [atmore drive]on top of central city is also in HSD. The northren part of the Bellefontaine Rehabilitation facility located in the city of bellefontaine neighbors is also in the HSD. The black oaks subdivision in fergmo is in HSD but I believe that the wetern side of w Florissant avenue is in the ferg-flo SD.

I do not know why the name "Hazelwood was selected for the district.

Parts of the following munis are in HSD.

Bellefontaine Neighbors, Ferguson, Dellwood, Bridgeton, Hazelwood, Florissant.

The city of Black Jack in its entirety is in the HSD.

In norco the following cities have municipal fire departments-Jennings, Ferguson, Berkeley and hazelwood. In these cities the municipality does control the fire services. The rest of norco is covered by fire districts. Riverview, Spanish lake, Black Jack, Moline, Florisant Valley, Normandy, Community are the names of the fire districts although Elbert and company just changed the name of the normandy district.

Crestwood, U-City, Clayton, Kirkwood are some of the other cities having muni fire departments.

Fire protection in st louis county is like a crazy quiltwork.

In town and country they are not part of a district and do not have a muni fire department, but they contract with manchester for fire service even building a new fire house at municipal expense at clayton and mason rds.
orion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

J-Dub in Ward 8 wrote:
Orion,
Who said anything about Mike O'Mara?
All I said was that if you elect people to represent you who don't want to tax you for schools, then you won't be taxed. I was simply hypothetically responding to Floman's alleged worry about the spending at the Hazelwood School District.
Please explain to me which entity takes my money from my personal funds and distributes it to the schools, since I don't go down there and write a check; except for the 45 supplemental fund raisers they hold each year.
This whole thread was merely a diversion IMO to bait people into attacking Mark Behlmann and thus prove once again the "negativity" of Topix.
I really appreciate Mr. Behlmann adding his insight to the topic. I hope that some people who didn't have a great knowledge of the HSD learned something. I know I did.
Your real estate taxes are typically taken out of your mortgage payment.

Again only the directors of the school district who are elected at large set the tax rate, although if they want an increase over a certain amount they must go to a vote of the people.

The st louis county department of revenue allocates the tax payments based upon each public entities assessment per hundred dollars of assessed valuation.

Is it your intention to disband the public schools? I dont think it is but when you speak about electing people who dont want to tax you, I think you are advocating abolishing taxes which would bankrupt the school districts along with other governmental entities.

As much as I disagree with some of the things that go on at the school district, in municipal, state and federal governments I dont think the dismantling of government through the abolition of taxes to be desirable.

I am not sure how far your libertarian views go.
orion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Both public and private schools hold fund raisers to bridge the gap between revenues and expenditures-these fund raisers are an opportunity for parents to meet other parents and teachers and work together for common goals.

They are positive things and help bring the community together.
orion

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

Gregory Franzwa wrote an excellent little book published in 1977 called "History of the Hazelwood School District"

I was lucky enough to pick up a copy at a book fair several years ago.

I dont know if the HSD has any copies for sale now but you should be able to get a copy at the library, either st louis county or mercantile.

The mercantile library is now located on the bottom floor of the library at UMSL.

The book is a fascinating look back at both the educational and social history of norco.

Read and enjoy!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of763
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wellston Discussions

Search the Wellston Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
St.Louis City Police New Polk Choke Hold/ Femal... 32 min Ha Ha 2
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 52 min Dumb Ass Liberals 92,165
Growing up in Glasgow Village (Mar '08) 1 hr butch 57
Bottoms up bar (Jul '13) 14 hr close this place 49
City Council Meeting tonight 15 hr Blame your creator 35
Odd Building off Telegraph in Lemay Fri Mary 1
MO Missouri's Prop C: Voters Set to Challenge Heal... (Aug '10) Fri dear guest 18,909
•••
•••
•••
•••

Wellston Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Wellston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance