Multiple Sclerosis Cluster in Welling...

Multiple Sclerosis Cluster in Wellington

Posted in the Wellington Forum

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 14, 2010
I read about a high rate of multiple sclerosis in Wellington. Is the reported MS cluster in a particular neighborhood? What is the source of municipal drinking water?
Yvocorhay

Cleveland, OH

#2 Sep 25, 2010
Yes, there is a specific area, although not all in that area. The area around the highschool, the grouped community behind there, is the area with highest incident. I bought a home in 2000 in Wellington, heard this, and decided to check it out. I do know that back at the end of Jones Street area there used to be a landfill dump that they ended up covering over. According to officials, after their investigation, that was not the source. After their "findings", they basically said there is no cause for concern in Wellington because there is not anything there being the cause. Guess it is just coincidence?? Or is it
Sammy

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#3 Sep 26, 2010
doug

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 5, 2011
wellington has a reservoir at the southwest corner of town located right near where they used to dump foundry sand. i have also heard that they used to use this toxic sand for fill during home construction on the west side of town before it was banned. i would wonder if this has anything to do with the high cases of m.s.
CJSluis

Bowling Green, OH

#5 Apr 5, 2011
I was diagnosed with MS about 30 years ago. My family spent a lot of summers on my grandma's farm in Lagrange. We went to Wellington a lot for church, etc. I have always wondered about the water we drank on the farm and my diagnosis. Other members in our family tree, that spent time on the farm, also have mild forms of neurologic disorders.
I have been watching and reading the news about this with great concern. Please continue to chat on this! Don't let the research/investigations die.

Location hidden

#6 May 16, 2011
doug wrote:
wellington has a reservoir at the southwest corner of town located right near where they used to dump foundry sand. i have also heard that they used to use this toxic sand for fill during home construction on the west side of town before it was banned. i would wonder if this has anything to do with the high cases of m.s.
What is the location of the former dumping ground near the reservoir (streets)? Was the toxic sand dumped into a pit? What area on the west side of town was reportedly filled using toxic sand?

Location hidden

#7 May 16, 2011
Yvocorhay wrote:
Yes, there is a specific area, although not all in that area. The area around the highschool, the grouped community behind there, is the area with highest incident. I bought a home in 2000 in Wellington, heard this, and decided to check it out. I do know that back at the end of Jones Street area there used to be a landfill dump that they ended up covering over. According to officials, after their investigation, that was not the source. After their "findings", they basically said there is no cause for concern in Wellington because there is not anything there being the cause. Guess it is just coincidence?? Or is it
Many schools across the country were built on top of closed dumpsites. Do you know the previous land-use of the high school? What end of Jones Street was the landfill located (cross-street)?
jaysun420

Wellington, OH

#8 Jul 21, 2011
PITSfounder wrote:
I read about a high rate of multiple sclerosis in Wellington. Is the reported MS cluster in a particular neighborhood? What is the source of municipal drinking water?
i have ms and i'm from wellington. i disagree with one of the replies..in regards to area, the sw part of town-particularly prospect st./erie st./wheeling ave.-is the worst. it's believed by many that it's because of the old foundry on the same property as the drinking water.i grew up on prospect st. and had NEVER heard about the tie between the two[wellington and ms] until i was getting tested for it.

as for the drinking water, it is supplied by a resevoir, however, it's an upground resevoir, making the claim that it's associated with the water invalid. i personally believe it to be atmospheric, and subterrestrial.

i've personally read a report on the findings of that[foundry] property and was more than disgusted with their findings. they found 3 or 4 ponds on the property with the banks on all of them stained black AND they found an unlicensed, unregulated landfill. after decades of dumping who knows what, wellington is one big cesspool.

Location hidden

#9 Jul 21, 2011
jaysun420 wrote:
<quoted text>
i have ms and i'm from wellington. i disagree with one of the replies..in regards to area, the sw part of town-particularly prospect st./erie st./wheeling ave.-is the worst. it's believed by many that it's because of the old foundry on the same property as the drinking water.i grew up on prospect st. and had NEVER heard about the tie between the two[wellington and ms] until i was getting tested for it.
as for the drinking water, it is supplied by a resevoir, however, it's an upground resevoir, making the claim that it's associated with the water invalid. i personally believe it to be atmospheric, and subterrestrial.
i've personally read a report on the findings of that[foundry] property and was more than disgusted with their findings. they found 3 or 4 ponds on the property with the banks on all of them stained black AND they found an unlicensed, unregulated landfill. after decades of dumping who knows what, wellington is one big cesspool.
Thank you for the information. Is the report regarding the foundry available online? Where was the foundry property located? Do you know the location of the unregulated landfill?

Location hidden

#10 Jul 21, 2011
jaysun420 - Are you referring to the Health Consultation report dated March 17,2005? I just found it online and will read it tonight. Let me know of any more reports that refer to the former Sterling Foundry, Erie Street Landfill, or any other landfills in the area.

Location hidden

#11 Jul 22, 2011
I think the cause of MS and other illnesses may be from chemicals in the Erie Street Landfill and surrounding area. The land beneath the above ground reservoir may also have been used as a landfill. Does anyone know the previous land-use of the reservoir property prior to it's construction in 1970s? Has any government agency conducted a 100-year chain of title of the landfill and reservoir properties to provide previous ownership?
john

Layton, UT

#12 Jun 13, 2012
Dr. Woodrow Monte argues that the cause is methanol. Can anyone confirm that or speak to the specific chemicals that polluted this community?

Location hidden

#13 Jun 14, 2012
As I mentioned in my last post, I think the contamination is caused by chemicals in a former dumpsite.
madclaire

Senoia, GA

#14 Aug 27, 2012
I am from Wellington, not currently living there. I was had onset of MS soon after I left the area. Is anyone else wondering if McCormick with the mold, lead paint and aesbestos could be a source? I lived closer to Brighton but we all attended the same schools.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 30, 2012
I think finding out the locations of all the old dumpsites is key to finding out the cause (or causes) of MS in Wellington.
june Necchi

London, UK

#16 Oct 18, 2013
I think that it is time that the varying authorities examined the various areas around the world which have clusters of Multiple sclerosis I'm quite sure that a common environmental denominator will provide the key to the trigger of the disease.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wellington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In search of Mar '16 Smile 1
I want pegged (Dec '15) Dec '15 Exquisitescape 1
Beall family (Jul '15) Jul '15 Toledo11 1
News Ronda J. "Jo" Sherrill (Jul '15) Jul '15 Cindy 1
Review: Hidden Oaks Quarter Horses LLC (Jun '15) Jun '15 Jan Doe-noneya 1
News Harry R. "J.R." Lee Jr. (Jun '14) Jun '14 Carol Zembower 1
Please help me (Aug '13) Aug '13 Looking 1

Wellington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance