Thinking of moving to Greenville SC
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Tony Spinola

Moore, SC

#329 Mar 26, 2014
To put it mildly...this is the WORST place that I have ever lived in my entire life...and I've lived in a lot of places.
You will never find more ignorant, lazy, narrowed minded people anywhere.
The so-called great economy is a joke. There are no jobs here...unless you want to work part time at one of the dozens if strip malls. Which, got what it's worth, is the majority of Greenville!
It's a no wonder why almost everyone I've come into contact with is on some sort of public assistance.
The rents are also outrages for a place that offers so little. You will be nickeled and dimed with a ton of fees and extras that we're not spelled out to you up front.
Arrionne

Dayton, OH

#330 Jun 25, 2014
I'm currently considering moving to Greenville, sc and I read all the above comments but I just wanted an update on how this area is if considering moving there?
Sue

Charlotte, NC

#331 Aug 15, 2014
Tony Spinola wrote:
To put it mildly...this is the WORST place that I have ever lived in my entire life...and I've lived in a lot of places.
You will never find more ignorant, lazy, narrowed minded people anywhere.
The so-called great economy is a joke. There are no jobs here...unless you want to work part time at one of the dozens if strip malls. Which, got what it's worth, is the majority of Greenville!
It's a no wonder why almost everyone I've come into contact with is on some sort of public assistance.
The rents are also outrages for a place that offers so little. You will be nickeled and dimed with a ton of fees and extras that we're not spelled out to you up front.
I don't know where this person is getting his information but he is way off base. I moved to Greenville 13 years ago from north and had to move 2 years ago to Charlotte, NC. I would move back to Greenville in a heartbeat. In fact we still have a home there we lease. It is very family oriented with a downtown that cannot be matched. Very family, friendly oriented community. A beautiful area with easy access to major cities, the mountains or the beach.
Truth Wizard

London, UK

#332 Aug 17, 2014
South Carolina is a poverty state. Low wages, high rent. Corrupt government. Corrupt courts. Bad road system. High taxes to pay for high salaried government workers.

It's a substantiated fact.

As to the people of South Carolina? They moved here from all over the USA looking for jobs, escaping other messed up states. But did not do their research or was told wrong by someone who is totally clueless.

If you like low wages, high taxes, bad roads, corrupt government, high rent and cheap homes built by illegal aliens, then SC is for you.

You think it is bad in the upstate? Try Charleston. Really nasty people. And that area has a very serious crime problem.
Mjh

Milton, DE

#333 Sep 22, 2014
We are hoping to move to Greenville area. My husband will be transferred and work from home. I have a medical background and hope to be a coder or unit secretary at a hospital. I see some of the suburbs have much better real estate prices. How far out is too far for me to commute to a medical center. I'm looking in Green, Inman, Simpsonville. Any area NOT to move to? I see many jobs for unit secretaries and various medical centers but don't know how far out I might be moving away from these medical centers.
felicia

Grandview, MO

#334 Dec 1, 2014
Im a single mom of two and want to start off somewhere new before my 4 year old turns 5 to start kindergarten. Greenville looks amazing sounds amazing too. Where could I find affordable housing around that are for a family of 3? Is SC a good place to live? Different than Missouri? Are there bad areas? Bad schools? Good job opportunities for the future?
fieryglimmer

Greer, SC

#335 Dec 5, 2014
Don't, you will never regret it. Corruption top to bottom. good Ole boy's club. limited employment opportunites. Impoverished. Ignorance. Lack of cultural venues. Bad schools & police state. I promise, the cheap cost of living comes with a very high price tag. Just say No. Wish I had, can't wait to get the hell out. You have no idea until it's too late. Cronies everywhere.
rosamant

New York, NY

#336 Feb 16, 2015
My wife and i are thinking of relocating down to the greenville area. We have familu that loves it there. I am a carpenter and my wife is an ultrasound tech. We are both italians from the nyc area. We are tired of the lifestyle and jackasses uo here to be honest. I have 2 questions. 1. Would work be easy to find for both of us ? 2. Do they offer decent health benefits since we have 2 children. Any info would be helpful
thanks
Abdullah Arif Khan

Greenville, SC

#337 Mar 22, 2015
rosamant wrote:
My wife and i are thinking of relocating down to the greenville area. We have familu that loves it there. I am a carpenter and my wife is an ultrasound tech. We are both italians from the nyc area. We are tired of the lifestyle and jackasses uo here to be honest. I have 2 questions. 1. Would work be easy to find for both of us ? 2. Do they offer decent health benefits since we have 2 children. Any info would be helpful
thanks
Hi,

I am from greenville sc and moved here in march 2014 from brooklyn NY. It's a beautiful place and peaceful. You get time to relax and enjoy with family.
You won't believe that I used to work for a TV broadcasting for 7 years which was a decent job with all the benefits and over here I'm still struggling for a decent job and working on a gas station but still HAPPY :)
I am pretty sure that you guys can find jobs here in Greenville. 3 bed apartment rent is $650-850 minimum wage is 7.35 I guess.
Google jobs in Greenville sc or job agencies in Greenville sc. Check on indeed.com etc.
It's a very nice place to raise kids.
+ points
No traffic cameras / red light cameras
No alternative side parking / street cleaning
No parking meters even for dmv or ebt offices :)
It's a great place.

Good Luck
Abdullah Arif Khan

Greenville, SC

#338 Mar 22, 2015
felicia wrote:
Im a single mom of two and want to start off somewhere new before my 4 year old turns 5 to start kindergarten. Greenville looks amazing sounds amazing too. Where could I find affordable housing around that are for a family of 3? Is SC a good place to live? Different than Missouri? Are there bad areas? Bad schools? Good job opportunities for the future?
Hi, I moved here from brooklyn, New York last year and we're in love with this small town/city/valley :)
It's definitely good for kids. And there are so many job agencies who help you find a job please Google it.
The most affordable and clean neighborhood is called serenity apartments in Taylors. 15 mins to downtown, 15-20 mins to airport, 7-8 mins to malls. You have to have a car as the public transport is not good.
It's a beautiful, lovely, peaceful place
nurse

Knoxville, TN

#339 Mar 23, 2015
Watch out for Shane cox
Liz

Simpsonville, SC

#341 Nov 13, 2015
Merle Adams wrote:
Hidden History That Cities Don’t Want Tourist To Know.
We All Have Some Psychic Ability.
This Is My Psychic Experience In Greenville, South Carolina.
As a freelance photographer, I find myself traveling to many exotic places all over the world to take pictures. Recently, I decided to make a stop in the laid back Southern City of Greenville, S.C. Being a nature lover, I was attracted to the Waterfalls in the downtown area.
I checked into a local hotel that was advertised in South Carolina’s travel coupon book, the ad boasted of a Grand Opening Special with a hot breakfast, free internet, cable and more. The price was right and it was accessible to the downtown area. The room though nicely decorated, with a full refrigerator, microwave and cabinets had a dark look, even with the lights on. The drapes had heavy lining which blocked out any sunlight from the outside. This layout is great if you need to get some rest during the day, also I knew it wouldn’t be a problem for me to fall fast asleep after being tired from driving out of the state.
While in a deep sleep, I felt totally restless tossing turning and wakening up in a cold sweat after hearing screams in my dreams. I did not understand what prompted this despair that I felt. I have always paid close attention to my dreams, also keeping a Dreamer’s Dictionary for interpreting them. I didn’t know what to make of it, just realized I would follow up later.
Next, I showered got dressed and went out to one of the upscale downtown restaurants that had a nice view of the people walking up and down the sidewalk. After a wonderful dinner and a nice walk I decided to return to the hotel. Once I drove into the hotel parking lot, my heart felt like it skipped a beat after seeing a large fire truck sitting in the driveway of the hotel entrance. Some hotel guests were standing on the outside with no coats even though the weather was very chilly for this time of year. I rushed to park my car and jumped out to ask the crowd what had happened?
One man yelled out,“someone burned popcorn in their microwave”. A hotel employee standing on the outside began to mumble,“This doesn’t look too good,” then went on to say,“You know six people died here by fire and around 11 people were injured in 2004. As he continued to talk I felt numb inside. Not being from this city but living in another state I didn’t have a clue of what happened in the past at this same hotel. It was the most tragic hotel fire in the history of the city. Was the dream I experienced earlier that day trying to tell me something? Well that night I didn’t put on my night clothes. I laid there in the hotel bed in my street clothing unable to sleep, fearful of the unknown.
After, returning home from my trip I decided to research the facts about this hotel fire. On the internet I typed in the name of the hotel in several of the top search engines. No indication about this hotel fire came up. Nothing until I went to archives online of greenvilleonline.com which is an online version of The Greenville Newspaper. After reading the many headline details of the fire, one headline indicated,“If they would have had a sprinklers system in the hotel lives could have been saved”.
You would think out of respect for the victims they would have changed the name of the hotel or even had this hotel torn down. It just doesn’t sit well with me to see this hotel treat this situation as, business as usual.
Some people need to realize the power of the Blog, for if I had the opportunity to read someone’s blog about this hotel in advance, I would have never checked in.
That was a tragic accident and there should have been sprinklers. That doesn't mean greenville is haunted or the hotel. Sorry u had a weird experience.
Missthesouth

Taylors, SC

#342 Nov 14, 2015
Terrible place to live due to traffic and air quality. If you like sitting in traffic on a backroad while paying outrageous levels of taxes then move here. I am a southerner from Tennessee.. these people, their culture and city have been so contaminated by northeastern ways that I worry that it's gone forever. Everyone talks about how great it is which makes me think they don't know any different. I have experienced zero sense of REAL community it's all about money here.
SouthernMindedYa nkee

Mount Pleasant, SC

#344 Apr 7, 2016
Here is the deal. Most of the people ripping Greenville are doing so for two reasons. 1. They are locals who are sick of the influx of Northerners and or Ohio'ans(and I don't blame them one bit, seeing as I am from NY and I agree the southern ways of SC are being systematically stomped out) and 2. minorities who feel there isn't enough "culture." To them I say... Go move to an urban center somewhere and gtfo. We get it, white people are terrrrrible. Then go where you feel more wanted and enjoy.
Lets make a third reason 3. Unhappy people. I get it. I was living in Charleston. I think Charleston sucks personally. Everyone goes nuts for it. I think it's shit. There are very very upscale communities, one of which I live in... But for the most part it's an overpriced boring ass city. I've lived in NYC and LA for work and white I hate the city grind and the people of those places(maybe hates too strong a word. Most get a bad rap. But you know my point) at least there is a ton to do. Oh and the women of course. Everything is flat in Charleston. Including the women. I'm hoping Greenville will be better.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welcome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sprint cell service Aug 22 Hollymom 3
News Baby-sitter charged after child accidentally sh... Aug 12 Rod Knox 1
Greenville Co - ElDeco Electric Is Bad? (Dec '10) Aug 6 Yeargin 77
Looking for insight on Greenville Aug 4 mandy1308 1
GREENVILLE-ASHEVILLE CULT: DEEKSHA ONENESS "BLE... Aug 3 anonymous 3
fed up with scdss and child support Aug 2 Barry 2
Hope Carpenter (Oct '13) Jul 31 Love them 26

Welcome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance