Doctors allow it.

Big bucks make people not care

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Victor

King, NC

#1 Aug 3, 2009
Because they deal with all kinds of people and it takes a of patience to deal with people.
Just Me

High Point, NC

#2 Aug 4, 2009
You left out "because they have to deal with you"
Michelle

High Point, NC

#3 Aug 4, 2009
When you deal with people from all walks of life, you are having to deal with people that bring all kinds of baggage along. It's not that the office staff is purposely being rude or maybe it's your own perception of the way you think things should be.
Otherwise, I know that people can be very demanding; not taking into consideration that doctors are only doctors. People will call and expect to be seen the same day or people will call expecting to "speak" with the doctor or nurse. Well, it should be recognized by the public that doctors offices' are a business just as the grocery store, the telephone company, the utility company, etc. When the doctor is working, he/she is working and cannot take the time out to attend to your immediate need. Most people think that is rude of the office staff.
Jane Doe

Greensboro, NC

#4 Aug 6, 2009
Its because the patients are so rude and do not know who to follow the drs instructions.
Becky

King, NC

#5 Aug 9, 2009
Michelle wrote:
When you deal with people from all walks of life, you are having to deal with people that bring all kinds of baggage along. It's not that the office staff is purposely being rude or maybe it's your own perception of the way you think things should be.
Otherwise, I know that people can be very demanding; not taking into consideration that doctors are only doctors. People will call and expect to be seen the same day or people will call expecting to "speak" with the doctor or nurse. Well, it should be recognized by the public that doctors offices' are a business just as the grocery store, the telephone company, the utility company, etc. When the doctor is working, he/she is working and cannot take the time out to attend to your immediate need. Most people think that is rude of the office staff.
Trust me the one thing I totally know is that medicine is a business. There are no illusions it is about anything other than money. Try going to a doctor for 26 years and they show a $5.00 balance on my bill and you would think that I killed someone but the $$$$ is what is important, not how long I wait, no how long I have been a loyal patient, just $$$$. Deny that!
Becky

King, NC

#6 Aug 9, 2009
Jane Doe wrote:
Its because the patients are so rude and do not know who to follow the drs instructions.
In some cases. Try being a healthcare giver for two parents who cannot take care of themselves and see how they and I am treated. I am not saying all people in the medical profession are bad but they need to understand sometimes it is not easy for their patients to even get there much less keep up with the red tape, the instructions etc. Sometimes it takes hours just to get them in the door and then to encounter an attitude right off the top. I DON'T THINK SO. You would not tolerate it and neither am I. P.S. I have worked with the public for over 35 years and I know how awful they can be and STUPID but you still have to treat them with respect and patience.
Becky

King, NC

#7 Aug 9, 2009
Just Me wrote:
You left out "because they have to deal with you"
Really? You know nothing about me and you say that. That is exactly my point. You perceive that I am a bad person and hard to deal with. I have numerous examples of how I was treated. Medicine is not easy but being sick or having a long dehabilitated illness is not either. IT is not easy for the patient or the caregiver so until you have walked in my shoes, DON'T JUDGE ME. You have no right!
bailey8

United States

#8 Aug 10, 2009
My former ophthalmologist keeps all patients waiting a minimum of 2 hours OR MORE. The 1st waiting rm (30+ chairs) is for the purpose of signing in. The 2nd waiting rm (30+ chairs) is a transition waiting room. The third waiting area (3+ chairs) is in front of the examination room. Finally, patients are put in the examination room. After waiting in the examination rm (now 3 hrs later), I (a new patient) looked out the back door of the examination room to ask for help and saw my ophthalmologist and 3 well-dressed sales representatives leaving the conference room next to me. The doctor apologized when I told him I was now late for another appointment. The 2nd appointment was another three-hour wait; I asked the other patients (6-7) "How long have you waited?" All answered, "3 hours!" I asked, "Is this long wait usual or typical?" The patients shrugged and all said "yes." After stopping by the patient check in area to tell them that I had waited 3 hours and I could not wait any longer and to reschedule, I left. At the 3rd appointment, they told me I was no-show at the 2nd appointment! Imagine! I waited 20 minutes; then I left forever.
Becky

King, NC

#9 Aug 12, 2009
bailey8 wrote:
My former ophthalmologist keeps all patients waiting a minimum of 2 hours OR MORE. The 1st waiting rm (30+ chairs) is for the purpose of signing in. The 2nd waiting rm (30+ chairs) is a transition waiting room. The third waiting area (3+ chairs) is in front of the examination room. Finally, patients are put in the examination room. After waiting in the examination rm (now 3 hrs later), I (a new patient) looked out the back door of the examination room to ask for help and saw my ophthalmologist and 3 well-dressed sales representatives leaving the conference room next to me. The doctor apologized when I told him I was now late for another appointment. The 2nd appointment was another three-hour wait; I asked the other patients (6-7) "How long have you waited?" All answered, "3 hours!" I asked, "Is this long wait usual or typical?" The patients shrugged and all said "yes." After stopping by the patient check in area to tell them that I had waited 3 hours and I could not wait any longer and to reschedule, I left. At the 3rd appointment, they told me I was no-show at the 2nd appointment! Imagine! I waited 20 minutes; then I left forever.
Preach it! Our time is worth nothing to them. And on top of that you get the receptionist who treats you so bad. As a rule the nurses are nice but that attitude at the front desk is what kills you. WHO THE HECK DO THEY THINK THEY ARE? If this is a business, we are their customers and I have heard in all my years of retail, THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Should that be amended except for the medical profession and bureaucratic government workers who act like they are God's gift to us all. Go to City Hall or a County Courthouse and look at all the pathetic excuses for workers with their attitudes looking down on you like you are a bother or an interuption. One day the government will be so broke it will lay people off and then we shall see how big and smart they are then.
Sarah

Canton, OH

#10 Sep 14, 2009
I understand why people say some health care workers are rude, there are a lot of them that I have encountered. But, I am a health care worker and I deal with many many patients every day that ask me to do things that I have no control over, or I can't do fast enough for them, and then they are the rude ones. I think everyone needs to realize that they do not know what the other person is going through. I've had many patients who I think are rude start crying on the phone because they are just so emotionally exhausted with their situation. I am a very compassionate person and would never be rude no matter how rude the patient is being to me. And, working at the front desk of a dr.'s office is very very hard. You have patients who show up half hour late and demand to be seen. Well, the dr. has other patients who were there on time, it's not fair to make everyone else late because you can't get there on time. And when the dr. says they can't see you, who does the patient take it out on? The person at the front desk, I absolutely love getting yelled at over something I have absolutely no control over. Every body thinks they are right all the time, instead of stopping and listening they just complain and yell at everyone else. Sometimes, the staff is to blame, some people are just mean and don't like their jobs and that shows in how they care for the patients. But don't think that just because you have encountered one of those people we are all like that. One person can't solve the problems of all the patients who walk through their door.
Sarah

Canton, OH

#11 Sep 14, 2009
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>Really? You know nothing about me and you say that. That is exactly my point. You perceive that I am a bad person and hard to deal with. I have numerous examples of how I was treated. Medicine is not easy but being sick or having a long dehabilitated illness is not either. IT is not easy for the patient or the caregiver so until you have walked in my shoes, DON'T JUDGE ME. You have no right!
I totally agree with you, but maybe you should take your own advice. You are judging me, I am a health care worker, so walking into the door of my office, you automatically think I am going to be rude to you? I am a very very nice person, but I can't say the customer is always right in this case. If you've never worked in a doctor's office, you'd know that there are some things that the people at the front desk have no control over, and they are the ones who get blamed and yelled at when the patient does not get their way. I just want you to know that not all health care workers are rude and mean.
Becky

King, NC

#12 Sep 15, 2009
You are correct on all points. There are always two sides but lately it seems like people in all fields are short with people and rude.
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with you, but maybe you should take your own advice. You are judging me, I am a health care worker, so walking into the door of my office, you automatically think I am going to be rude to you? I am a very very nice person, but I can't say the customer is always right in this case. If you've never worked in a doctor's office, you'd know that there are some things that the people at the front desk have no control over, and they are the ones who get blamed and yelled at when the patient does not get their way. I just want you to know that not all health care workers are rude and mean.
hurt_dude

Thomasville, NC

#13 Sep 16, 2009
I've spent a lot of time in doctors' offices lately and I haven't had anyone treat me rudely. Of course, I try not to treat others that way, either. People are under quite a bit of stress these days due to economic insecurity ....
Average Joe

High Point, NC

#14 Nov 7, 2009
Becky wrote:
<quoted text>Really? You know nothing about me and you say that. That is exactly my point. You perceive that I am a bad person and hard to deal with. I have numerous examples of how I was treated. Medicine is not easy but being sick or having a long dehabilitated illness is not either. IT is not easy for the patient or the caregiver so until you have walked in my shoes, DON'T JUDGE ME. You have no right!
Hmmm....Yep, see why people are rude to you now....maybe you should go edit your pole options, after all.

Tacoma, WA

#15 Jul 25, 2010
Had two sick children- baby, and young child- up late nights with them-me tired- they still sick weekend- go to an after hours clinic that patients for several doctors can go after hours,my children have different doctors, delivered by different family doctors but both doctors are part of that group, but I mistakenly said the name of a doctor who wasn't-quickly corrected myself. Than the office person refused to see either child "No, I heard you." she repeated no matter how I tried to explain.She than said they will see one, that I had to take other to the Emergency room across the street.
One was seen, treated for an ear infection- Afterward,the crying sick baby, child and I sat for 5 hours, baby cried all the while,in the ER for another ear infection diagnosis.It just made me very sad and didn't know how to complain nor explain the event. I now have just one great Pediatrician with a nice office staff.
guest 01

Tacoma, WA

#16 Jul 25, 2010
When I meet a nice person, I don't take it for granted and am so thankful.
Ruffzan

Bakersfield, CA

#17 Sep 12, 2011
I don't care what "walk of life" your patients come from or what "Baggage" they bring, when you CHOOSE to work with the public you are obligated to learn how to do that with repect and show each person the dignity that they deserve. If the public is rude to you first that is still no excuse to treat them rudely back, a weak person has to lash out in response to a rude customer but a strong person stays polite and wins by staying nice no matter how the other person acts. Sadly the little brats that usually work in a doctors office think that they are too high and mighty to be kind and respectful however, many doctors are catching on and training there staff on how to treat their customers right or they will fire the little brats.
A Typical Patient

Port Washington, NY

#18 Jan 24, 2012
In my experience, most office staffs are toxic, to themselves and to their patients. I spend a good deal of time trying to find good doctors with healthy, loving, teams of people who support them. This is a rare find. Let's face it, no patients want to go to the doctor's office. When they do, they have some sort of fear or anxiety attached to the trip. They are extra sensitive and need to be cared for. The shock and disappointment of being met by quick, curt, rushed, indifferent, or rude people is just so disappointing, and hurtful. I do have a theory though...

Many good people go into healthcare to help people, these are the individuals who are always nice, usually competent, and breathe rather than be mean to anyone.

Many good people go into healthcare, because it is the only work that was available to them. A relatively easy educational program, trade school, etc. These are the ones that get caught up in office politics, think its okay to complain about patients once they hang up or leave, or be rude to patients. These are the ones who should find some other vocation that they might be happier in.

At the end of the day, do what you love but be sure it isn't hurting anyone, emotionally, physically, or spiritually. We will all be happier and healthier for it.
Troublemaker Indeed

Greenwood, IN

#19 Mar 16, 2012
I have the same issues with my Dr.'s office. I have been double billed-the insurance will pay the whole bill as well and they will not refund my money and charge very high rates. They called me names like troublemaker and bad patient for refusing to take a med at the hospital that I had listed as a severe allergies. I discussed previous hospitalization from the drug to my Dr. The last time I took the medicine it nearly killed me so even while groggy from surgery I knew better than to risk taking it again. Because i was resolved about not taking it I am called names and treated as an inferior person. They made an analyst come to observe me and I was forced to pay more bills, simply for refusing a medicine. This is a right of all patients and why does refusing, with due cause make me a bad patient. I call for paperwork and cannot speak to a real person and then we play phone tag for weeks on end, still without me getting the information I need. Then I am reprimanded for calling the receptionist and asking to speak to a real person that can assist me after telling her I have made efforts to wait and leave messages.I hate that i have to use this Dr. and hope more options become available soon. I payed the Dr. enough money to give me some consideration and respect, as I am polite and patient not a bad patient!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#20 Mar 23, 2012
The Doctors Offices and now Hospitals are now Government controlled since 75% of the payments come from Medicare and Medicaid.

You have been assendulated. Get over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welcome Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The danger of carrying excess belly fat (Sep '13) 14 hr Rhat ali 3
just moved here need a plug Jul 26 xxxxxxxx 3
just moved here need a dog food plug Jul 26 xxxxxxxx 1
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) Jul 26 Appalled 7,237
Low flying, window-less aircraft (Jan '12) Jul 19 genturgid 37
News Pritchard to be paroled (Jun '07) Jul 19 rockerelf 64
News Abused Baby Girl Back Home in Thomasville (May '10) Jul 18 Noonereally 2

Welcome Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Welcome Mortgages