Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Ridicuclous

Newton, WV

#1 Sep 2, 2012
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201209010139

This is the problem with this state. Cronyism is rampant and the good old boy system is firmly in place. If the people are to have any faith in state government, our elected leaders must put a stop to abuses like this immediately. His son has no type of post-secondary education and is paid over $70,000 a year and works from home? Ridiculous! Was this job ever posted to the public? This should be investigated and if no ethics violations or criminal acts have been committed, then the laws need to be re-written to make it so.
david/goliath

Oceana, WV

#2 Sep 2, 2012
Ridicuclous wrote:
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/ 201209010139

This is the problem with this state. Cronyism is rampant and the good old boy system is firmly in place. If the people are to have any faith in state government, our elected leaders must put a stop to abuses like this immediately. His son has no type of post-secondary education and is paid over $70,000 a year and works from home? Ridiculous! Was this job ever posted to the public? This should be investigated and if no ethics violations or criminal acts have been committed, then the laws need to be re-written to make it so.
I totally agree! Must be nice no post education and make that kinda money? Give me a job!!!
free bird

Bluefield, WV

#3 Sep 2, 2012
That article said he made $73,000 in just four and a half months! And he was paid $60 an hour! And works from home. He's the effin luckiest man in the state.
Well

Princeton, WV

#4 Sep 2, 2012
If anyone has ever met Adam, you know he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Plus, if this is the same Joe Gonzales that I'm thinking of, he and Jimmy know each other very well and you can't tell me that Jimmy didn't influence Joe to recommend Adam for the job.
Educated Veteran

Princeton, WV

#5 Sep 2, 2012
I can name numerous people with graduate degrees & with veteran status that would love to have a job making $60 hour! Says on wvva he claims ethics committee had no problem with the hiring. Well, someone needs to investigate that committee too. This truly is nonsense. Too many deserving people work underpaid jobs to have someone making 6x's their wages, only because they are related to "the man." If it were a private company, it would be fine. Tax money funds this position. I hope its protested enough to make both step down from their positions
david/goliath

Oceana, WV

#6 Sep 2, 2012
Educated Veteran wrote:
I can name numerous people with graduate degrees & with veteran status that would love to have a job making $60 hour! Says on wvva he claims ethics committee had no problem with the hiring. Well, someone needs to investigate that committee too. This truly is nonsense. Too many deserving people work underpaid jobs to have someone making 6x's their wages, only because they are related to "the man." If it were a private company, it would be fine. Tax money funds this position. I hope its protested enough to make both step down from their positions
Love to see an investigation done! Break this money takin racket up!
Ridiculous

Newton, WV

#7 Sep 2, 2012
In the story, it says he billed for 946 hours and 190 hours of overtime. This means over a 4 1/2 month period he worked an average of 50 to 60 hours a week. They need to check and see if travel sheets and expense sheets match and correspond to these hours. Also, if mileage and travel time to and from locations correspond to hours billed. For instance, it shouldn't take hours to get to a nearby location. He needs to explain all this time. Honestly, all involved should be forced to resign and payback the money. The feds need to get more involved than they already are. If you have to ask if something is ethical then you should know that its already isn't.
low paid worker

Cowen, WV

#8 Sep 2, 2012
I work for the state and would love to have a job like that. He's made more in 4 months than most of us make in a year. I never saw anything on the wv state job site about this job where the He$$ was it posted and when. I see greiveance papers being filed shortly. I think the whole bunch is Charleston need fired. The Personel board who hired him, the Ethic board for not doing any kind of job, the Governor who sits on his but and doesn't nothing but let agencies hire people who have retired and goes to work the next day with even more money. A lot of state workers make 18,000 to 22,000 and this is what their employer does for them slap us in the face and tell at least you got a job, that boy got a position. And where exactly does he work and what does he do. He make this much money when they tell agencies to cut their budget by 7.2% no wonder we can't get any raises the buddy systems is alive and well in Charleston Maybe ALL State wokers should take a few days off and go to Charleston, shut down ALL offices and meet with our employer and explain to them how we feel about the wages they paid to the chosen ones. If all the offices were closed for a day or two they would see how unhappy the people really are and do something. Please don't say if you are that unhappy find another job because if we all found another job the offices would never reopen. The current workers deserve better than this.
Interesting

Ivydale, WV

#9 Sep 2, 2012
low paid worker wrote:
I work for the state and would love to have a job like that. He's made more in 4 months than most of us make in a year. I never saw anything on the wv state job site about this job where the He$$ was it posted and when. I see greiveance papers being filed shortly. I think the whole bunch is Charleston need fired. The Personel board who hired him, the Ethic board for not doing any kind of job, the Governor who sits on his but and doesn't nothing but let agencies hire people who have retired and goes to work the next day with even more money. A lot of state workers make 18,000 to 22,000 and this is what their employer does for them slap us in the face and tell at least you got a job, that boy got a position. And where exactly does he work and what does he do. He make this much money when they tell agencies to cut their budget by 7.2% no wonder we can't get any raises the buddy systems is alive and well in Charleston Maybe ALL State wokers should take a few days off and go to Charleston, shut down ALL offices and meet with our employer and explain to them how we feel about the wages they paid to the chosen ones. If all the offices were closed for a day or two they would see how unhappy the people really are and do something. Please don't say if you are that unhappy find another job because if we all found another job the offices would never reopen. The current workers deserve better than this.
I work for the state and I would have to work 3 years to make this type of money. So, he was able to work all these hours and still work on the ambulance? Interesting!
low paid worker

Cowen, WV

#10 Sep 3, 2012
Yeah, check out the story in the Charleston Gazette, Charleston Daily Mail they have it
low paid worker

Cowen, WV

#11 Sep 3, 2012
This is the headline: Son Paid via funds homeland security chief adminator
1 post removed
low paid worker

Cowen, WV

#13 Sep 3, 2012
I stand corrected what he made in 4 fours months if divided by 4 is what I make in a year. Heres what WVVA has:
CHARLESTON, W.Va.(AP)-- The son of West Virginia's homeland security director is being paid through a federal stimulus grant that his father oversees.

Jimmy Gianato tells the Charleston Gazette the West Virginia Ethics Commission and the federal agency that distributed the grant money did not have an issue with his son Adam's hiring. He denies he used his influence to get his 25-year-old son the job.

Adam Gianato is being paid through a $126.3 million federal stimulus grant overseen by the elder Gianato. In October, Adam Gianato was hired as a contract employee at $60 an hour.

The state tapped the federal stimulus dollars to pay Adam Gianato's salary and overtime.

It totaled $73,000 over 4 1/2 months. Jimmy Gianato was the project's grant administrator.
not suprised

Bluefield, WV

#14 Sep 3, 2012
Seems like the Gazette is digging up all the dirt that they can on Jimmy Joe. A couple of weeks ago they ran an article about him replacing $40 routers in some state offices with routers that cost apprx.$2500 for a total of about $24 million. I wonder what they'll come up with next?
disgusted by excess

Newton, WV

#15 Sep 3, 2012
Some of the 'good-ol-boys' don't even make that kind of money, if he worked all year at that pay, he would have made over $200,000.00, people need to understand the difference between working for dad, and working for uncle sam. Grants may be 'free money' but they come with conditions, I can't believe that either Gianato met the conditons for Adam to make that much money.
Observer

Princeton, WV

#16 Sep 3, 2012
Ive noticed this is only on the welch forum. It should be posted all over the state! If anyone is not disgusted by this story, they are playing dirty too!
Lets Quit Talkin

United States

#17 Sep 3, 2012
To hell with talking about what is happening, lets decide what we are going to do about it. I am sure if enough of us get together we can make enough noise that the state and federal government will have to do something about this. After all it is election year.
Roger That

Princeton, WV

#18 Sep 3, 2012
Lets Quit Talkin wrote:
To hell with talking about what is happening, lets decide what we are going to do about it. I am sure if enough of us get together we can make enough noise that the state and federal government will have to do something about this. After all it is election year.
No doubt! All state workers should protest. Even well qualified state employees make way less than they would if they were in the private sector. Surely, 200k state jobs are few and far, of not nonexistent. Let's ring the governors phone off the hook & demand an explanation & a resignation.
Lets Quit Talkin

United States

#19 Sep 3, 2012
Roger That wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt! All state workers should protest. Even well qualified state employees make way less than they would if they were in the private sector. Surely, 200k state jobs are few and far, of not nonexistent. Let's ring the governors phone off the hook & demand an explanation & a resignation.
Im all for it. lets make it happen....who else is with us,
Lets Quit Talkin

United States

#20 Sep 3, 2012
you know the more I think about this the more f****n upset I guess. I have watched people like Jimmy Gianato and our elected officials get away with bs like this for way to long and here is my proposal......

We as tax paying citizens need to form a committee that keeps our "officials" in line by monitoring their activities and letting the tax paying world know about what they are up too and when stuff like this happens we all ban together and hit this system where it hurts. We as taxpayers have never tested the theory that we are in control of the government because we are its people.
If we dont do something soon things like this will be swept under the rug like most all things we know go on. Lets do this !!!!!
Anytime Minute Plan

Princeton, WV

#21 Sep 3, 2012
Whats the number? Let's call these guys out!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 1 hr purplelady1040 25,681
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 2,728
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 5 hr Cookie_Parker 20,785
3 word story (Jul '11) 11 hr Misty Fitch 1,453
mckinney 11 hr citizen 4
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) 12 hr _Zoey_ 1,780
Word assocation (Sep '07) 14 hr Theo 16,025

Flood Watch for McDowell County was issued at March 03 at 2:44AM EST

Welch Dating
Find my Match