What kind of winter do you think we w...

What kind of winter do you think we will have ?

Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anticipating

Snowshoe, WV

#1 Sep 7, 2007
I was just thinking about the coming winter and wondering if anyone has anything to say about how to tell if it's suppose to be bad or not.I've heard sbout the black wooly worm and something about yellowjackets. I would like to hear what others think this winter will be like, and see if you have some old folk tales to tell about predicting the winter. Thanks so much.

“I want to come home...”

Since: Aug 07

Gary, WV

#2 Sep 8, 2007
Well, according to the farmer's almanac, it's supposed to be a very cold winter and we should have snow shovels on hand for plenty of snow...but you know how often they are right.

Also, there used to be something to how thick the bark on the trees gets. Thicker bark, colder temps or something like that. I always watch the bees, worms and other animals. I plan on what I see-window quilts, draft dodgers, stock up on plenty of emergency supplies too.

Now that's something I'd like to know. What does everyone stock up on for bad winters? Not meaning to hijack the thread- but it's also something worth inquiring about.
YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

Bluefield, WV

#3 Sep 8, 2007
It will be just like the summer,it will get dark at night and daylight in the morning.LOL

Really I think it will be bad.
I'v never seen so many yellowjackets making their nest this fast is the ground.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS

Johnson City, TN

#4 Sep 8, 2007
Our summer was extremely hot, our winter will be very mild. Not much snow, if any!
Hope so

Princeton, WV

#5 Sep 8, 2007
oh, I like the answer LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS had.
I dread winter, I really don't like cold weather. Makes my bones hurt!

I also would like to hear what people stock up on! But I also enjoy hearing any type of old wives tales about what to look for to see what type of winter it will be!

Thanks for starting this thread. I will keep watching for new posts !
Superior Employee

United States

#6 Sep 8, 2007
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS wrote:
Our summer was extremely hot, our winter will be very mild. Not much snow, if any!
From your mouth to GODS ears.+
Amen

Princeton, WV

#7 Sep 8, 2007
Amen to that ! I sure hope and pray this is right !
TOOTSIE

Princeton, WV

#8 Sep 8, 2007
this has been a record breaking heat for sep. they said the last time it was this hot in sep. it was the coldest oct. on record. i think we are going to have a very cold winter again. i think we will have a lot of episodes of flurries but not much heavy snow.
Just me

Normantown, WV

#9 Sep 9, 2007
anticipating wrote:
I was just thinking about the coming winter and wondering if anyone has anything to say about how to tell if it's suppose to be bad or not.I've heard sbout the black wooly worm and something about yellowjackets. I would like to hear what others think this winter will be like, and see if you have some old folk tales to tell about predicting the winter. Thanks so much.
There an old wives tale about the number of days we have fog in September (or is it August), that's the number of snows we'll have during the winter.

“Here we go again!”

Since: May 07

Where I Live

#10 Sep 9, 2007
Well I for one hope it snows often and in mass quantity although I don't figure that's gonna happen. One of those 2 or 3 foot snow storms would suit me perfectly fine.........but naturally it has nothing to do with me being a teacher! LOL
valley girl

Lorton, VA

#11 Sep 9, 2007
stock up on batteries, lamp oil, canned soup, make sure you have the gas grill filled up,and most crutial have some back up heat. good luck the last wolly worm i saw was solid black from head to tail!!!!

“just another redneck”

Level 2

Since: Jun 07

raysal

#12 Sep 9, 2007
anticipating wrote:
lol since leaving McDowell i always hated Fall and winter to depressing, so when i moved to Florida, i loved it the trees stays green year round, you can wear shorts year round, on Christmas day last year i was in shorts and tank top LOL i love it, i have 2 palm trees in my yard and winter time here is like may- beginning June weather for you guys we have about 2 weeks of what we consider cool weather of about 45-50 degrees occasional frost (rare) but it does happen but i love calling on the real cold days like around 10 degrees and harassing my mom and sister up there and telling them i am in shorts lol

Since: Mar 07

United States

#13 Sep 9, 2007
I have an old wood cook stove, no matter what I can cook my kids a full meal. Plus I make sure theres plenty of lamp oil in the house. Love to sit and quilt by lamp light.
CCR

Bluefield, WV

#14 Sep 9, 2007
workin girl wrote:
Well I for one hope it snows often and in mass quantity although I don't figure that's gonna happen. One of those 2 or 3 foot snow storms would suit me perfectly fine.........but naturally it has nothing to do with me being a teacher! LOL
Hey, Workin Girl, I think I know who you are. Does the Frog have a significance?
Cheryl James

Nashville, TN

#15 Sep 9, 2007
valley girl wrote:
stock up on batteries, lamp oil, canned soup, make sure you have the gas grill filled up,and most crutial have some back up heat. good luck the last wolly worm i saw was solid black from head to tail!!!!
Sounds like here Post Katrina...the b*&%$!..I sure miss WAR....are there any property for sale in Warriormine or War....I would love to have a place with fall color again!....ps you forgot water....need alot of that too!!! Have a good one...Cheryl(Puckett) James

“Mean People Suck”

Level 3

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#16 Sep 9, 2007
speakin of frogs...
ya know the best way to eat a frog?
tuck a leg behind each ear !!
(PLEASE dont hit me Workin Girl !!!)
LOL
Cheryl James

Nashville, TN

#17 Sep 9, 2007
The post lists me in TN....I live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi....cj

Since: Mar 07

United States

#18 Sep 9, 2007
Cheryl James wrote:
The post lists me in TN....I live on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi....cj
Where did you grow up?
davydude

Bluefield, WV

#19 Sep 9, 2007
the same as always short days an long nights god you got to just love winter lol
Cheryl James

Nashville, TN

#20 Sep 9, 2007
quilt lady wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you grow up?
Warriormine every summer with grandparents and 5th grade through ninth in War....got married lived in Squire for 5 yrs....I have been gone from that part of the country for 25 yrs....but it still pulls at me...and probaly always will...cj

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 3 hr Eternal truth 39,566
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 4 hr Eternal truth 37,959
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 8 hr Wotan 4,142
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) 9 hr -WICKED ANGEL- 12,902
Stevens Correctional/ McDowell 15 hr Earl 6
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) Fri Princess Hey 6,993
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) Fri Princess Hey 2,667

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance