God is Imaginary - Christian Tactics

God is Imaginary - Christian Tactics

Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Atheist

Southfield, MI

#1 Dec 19, 2008
More generally it is completely unrealistic to claim, as Gould and many others do, that religion keeps itself away from science's turf, restricting itself to morals and values. A universe with a supernatural presence would be a fundamentally and qualitatively different kind of universe from one without. The difference is, inescapably, a scientific difference. Religions make existence claims, and this means scientific claims.
There is something dishonestly self-serving in the tactic of claiming that all religious beliefs are outside the domain of science. On the one hand, miracle stories and the promise of life after death are used to impress simple people, win converts, and swell congregations. It is precisely their scientific power that gives these stories their popular appeal. But at the same time it is considered below the belt to subject the same stories to the ordinary rigors of scientific criticism: these are religious matters and therefore outside the domain of science. But you cannot have it both ways. At least, religious theorists and apologists should not be allowed to get away with having it both ways. Unfortunately all too many of us, including nonreligious people, are unaccountably ready to let them.
Atheist

Southfield, MI

#2 Dec 26, 2008
In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time someting like that happened in politics or religion.
say what

United States

#3 Dec 27, 2008
I didn't read all of your rambling, but of course there's science. All things are made from different chemicals and compounds. And God gave us the knowledge to put these things together to make new things. Science is very important in our everyday life. I don't understand a lot about how things work or how they are made, but I thank God there are people that do. On the other hand, there is a soul in this body of clay, that is every bit as important. Just as I know enough about science to live in this world, I know equally as much about God and my spirit to make it in the one to come. I should know a lot more on both subjects, but I think I know enough to make it. You seem to be caught up in the science of things, and are ignoring the person you are within that body of flesh.
Atheist

Southfield, MI

#4 Jan 1, 2009
For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state and our education system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
Atheist

Southfield, MI

#5 Jan 8, 2009
I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, "This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me."
Atheist

Blacksburg, VA

#6 Nov 8, 2009
It is not as in the Bible, that God created man in his own image. But, on the contrary, man created God in his own image. – Ludwig Feuerbach
Atheist

Blacksburg, VA

#7 Dec 27, 2009
# I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God. So far as religion of the day is concerned, it is a damned fake… Religion is all bunk. – Thomas Edison
1 post removed
Atheist

Somerville, VA

#9 Feb 25, 2010
We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. – Richard Dawkins
King Quad

Cowpens, SC

#10 Feb 25, 2010
I have a question. Do you base you belief in atheism in the words written by others? Or have you come to that conclusioon your self? As many books that have been written disclaming the truth of God and heaven and hell. They can not disprove it either. Most athiest, as I understand it, do not trust the bible because it was written my man. Man, as usual, will let other people down. So how do you know that the writers of atheism will not do the same? You don't have a problem with believing in not believing, so why do alot of atheist give Christians flack for believeing? Do you believe in evolution? If so what about the notes that Darwin wrote in this ( http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/oldsite/summat... )? I am not being judgemental or rude just trying to get answers from your point of view.
Thanks
Atheist

Somerville, VA

#11 Feb 26, 2010
King Quad wrote:
I have a question. Do you base you belief in atheism in the words written by others? Or have you come to that conclusioon your self? As many books that have been written disclaming the truth of God and heaven and hell. They can not disprove it either. Most athiest, as I understand it, do not trust the bible because it was written my man. Man, as usual, will let other people down. So how do you know that the writers of atheism will not do the same? You don't have a problem with believing in not believing, so why do alot of atheist give Christians flack for believeing? Do you believe in evolution? If so what about the notes that Darwin wrote in this ( http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/oldsite/summat... )? I am not being judgemental or rude just trying to get answers from your point of view.
Thanks
I base my beliefs on rational thought. I have read everything there is on religion including the bible. Reading the bible is what made me an atheist in the first place. If you look at history and the myths that lead Greece and Rome in their pagan philosophy. You will see that the bible are exact stories taken from their myths. Just names and places change. Also, it just makes sense, adults should not have imaginary friends.

I have read the link you are quoting. And I do believe in evolution. All things being equal the simplest answer must be the correct one. And a magical, emotional, narcissistic, blood lusting being in the sky is not the simplest answer. We are simply here now, and religion is the root cause of 95 percent of all murder, war and suffering throughout human history. More wars have been in the name of God than any other reason. Where is he when little children suffer with disease for years. Christian mythologists say Jesus suffered for our sins, but really he just had a bad weekend...IF he even existed at all. His few days of torture are nothing compared to the millions who are dying for years of cancer and other disease. I believe people should be good to each other because it is the right thing to do, not because they are TERRIFIED of what may happen to their non-existent "souls."
Atheist

Somerville, VA

#12 Feb 26, 2010
King Quad wrote:
I have a question. Do you base you belief in atheism in the words written by others? Or have you come to that conclusioon your self? As many books that have been written disclaming the truth of God and heaven and hell. They can not disprove it either. Most athiest, as I understand it, do not trust the bible because it was written my man. Man, as usual, will let other people down. So how do you know that the writers of atheism will not do the same? You don't have a problem with believing in not believing, so why do alot of atheist give Christians flack for believeing? Do you believe in evolution? If so what about the notes that Darwin wrote in this ( http://www.thedarwinpapers.com/oldsite/summat... )? I am not being judgemental or rude just trying to get answers from your point of view.
Thanks
Very good questions BTW...you are very respectful. Not like the "you will see when you are in hell" crowd. I forgot to answer one question. The bible written by man...YES, you are right. Not only that. Look at history (I love history, BTW I am working on my masters with concentration on Roman History)...but look at history, at the time the bible was written it took several generations, several men, and several different degrees of opium. It is widely known that opium was as prevalent in the everyday lives of people then as tylenol is today. They used it everyday all the time. That is how the bible gets its creative license. God is imaginary.
Gary Coaldigger

Floyd, VA

#13 Feb 26, 2010
Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good questions BTW...you are very respectful. Not like the "you will see when you are in hell" crowd. I forgot to answer one question. The bible written by man...YES, you are right. Not only that. Look at history (I love history, BTW I am working on my masters with concentration on Roman History)...but look at history, at the time the bible was written it took several generations, several men, and several different degrees of opium. It is widely known that opium was as prevalent in the everyday lives of people then as tylenol is today. They used it everyday all the time. That is how the bible gets its creative license. God is imaginary.
Did you ever watch the "Clash of the Gods" on the History Channel were they talked about the similarities of King Odysseus of Ithaca,Greece who was said had fought for ten years in the Trojan War and he spent another ten years trying to get back home.
Through the story they compared Odysseus to Jesus how similar the two were.
They talked about giant sea serpents when actually it appeared to be a giant squid fluttering its tentacles out of the water and I guess it could grab a person off the boat with those suctions it has on it's tentacles or do they have suctions like that of an octopus on their tentacles?
I'll have to look that up about it.
Anyway,I do see mental similarities of ancient times and now of those who are said to be religious or believe in gods because especially when it comes to the older religious types everything that they don't understand whether it be movies,music or other form of entertainment or perhaps things that extends beyond their comprehension they judge it as being evil similar to those in ancient times that would say something like "What evil is this?" or "That is of the devil!" if you live life outside from what they are accustomed to.
I like the ideal of believing in a higher power but when all hell breaks loose and there is no god or miracle to be found then what is the point in getting down on my knees to pray when prayer continues to fall on deaf ears and there you are left only to temporarily please those who just assumed throw stones and crucify you.
Atheist

Southfield, MI

#14 Mar 1, 2010
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever watch the "Clash of the Gods" on the History Channel were they talked about the similarities of King Odysseus of Ithaca,Greece who was said had fought for ten years in the Trojan War and he spent another ten years trying to get back home.
Through the story they compared Odysseus to Jesus how similar the two were.
They talked about giant sea serpents when actually it appeared to be a giant squid fluttering its tentacles out of the water and I guess it could grab a person off the boat with those suctions it has on it's tentacles or do they have suctions like that of an octopus on their tentacles?
I'll have to look that up about it.
Anyway,I do see mental similarities of ancient times and now of those who are said to be religious or believe in gods because especially when it comes to the older religious types everything that they don't understand whether it be movies,music or other form of entertainment or perhaps things that extends beyond their comprehension they judge it as being evil similar to those in ancient times that would say something like "What evil is this?" or "That is of the devil!" if you live life outside from what they are accustomed to.
I like the ideal of believing in a higher power but when all hell breaks loose and there is no god or miracle to be found then what is the point in getting down on my knees to pray when prayer continues to fall on deaf ears and there you are left only to temporarily please those who just assumed throw stones and crucify you.
I have, and there are a lot more than just this example. I have read correlations between almost every story in the old testament and greek myth. The very first bibles written in greek were so closet that the catholic church basically finished up the scam with a lot of creative license of their own. To their luck the new bible was finished by the time of the protestant reformation and when people were finally allowed to learn to read it, they got the catholic rendition of an opiate induced ancient rendition of an even more ancient rendition of the same old stories. Anyone who studies history in the slightest must agree that god is imaginary. Other wise you are insulting your own intelligence.
Atheist

Somerville, VA

#15 Apr 12, 2010
I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. – Frank Lloyd Wright
self deluded Athiests

Akron, OH

#16 Aug 12, 2010
Saying that Jesus of Nazareth did not exist requires more logical delusion than saying God does not. Thanks for showing me that atheists can use logic to justify anything which is its power...and its flaw.
Enjoy your delusion that God does not exist and have a nice life...

Jesus G Christ
Level 3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#17 Aug 14, 2010
self deluded Athiests wrote:
Saying that Jesus of Nazareth did not exist requires more logical delusion than saying God does not. Thanks for showing me that atheists can use logic to justify anything which is its power...and its flaw.
Enjoy your delusion that God does not exist and have a nice life...
Where does ANYONE say that J o N did not exist? There is evidence either way, but Jesus can't see where ANYONE on this thread claimed he did not exist. You entire post is confusing. "logic to justify anything which is its power...and its flaw." What is the "it?" Logic? Your sentences are fragments. Subjects are a necessity.

Jesus G Christ
Level 3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#18 Dec 8, 2010
magic is imaginary

god is imaginary

Adults should not have imaginary friends.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Key West, FL

#19 Dec 8, 2010
Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I base my beliefs on rational thought. I have read everything there is on religion including the bible. Reading the bible is what made me an atheist in the first place. If you look at history and the myths that lead Greece and Rome in their pagan philosophy. You will see that the bible are exact stories taken from their myths. Just names and places change. Also, it just makes sense, adults should not have imaginary friends.
I have read the link you are quoting. And I do believe in evolution. All things being equal the simplest answer must be the correct one. And a magical, emotional, narcissistic, blood lusting being in the sky is not the simplest answer. We are simply here now, and religion is the root cause of 95 percent of all murder, war and suffering throughout human history. More wars have been in the name of God than any other reason. Where is he when little children suffer with disease for years. Christian mythologists say Jesus suffered for our sins, but really he just had a bad weekend...IF he even existed at all. His few days of torture are nothing compared to the millions who are dying for years of cancer and other disease. I believe people should be good to each other because it is the right thing to do, not because they are TERRIFIED of what may happen to their non-existent "souls."
Brilliant and faith is destroying this country.

Jesus G Christ
Level 3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#20 Dec 10, 2010
GodSmacked wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant and faith is destroying this country.
Religion is the source of more human misery than any other in human history.

Faith means not wanting to know what is true.

Jesus G Christ
Level 3

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#21 Dec 18, 2010
christian mythology = brainwashing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 2 min Geographer 23,117
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 6 min texas pete 39,854
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 3 hr Eternal truth 38,960
Can I get pills in Isaban? 4 hr Mark mark 8
News Sanders rallies against GOP health care plan at... 4 hr MICHAEL Stanley 49
agatha bordeaux juste pour s'assurer 12 hr agathaparis 1
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 14 hr -Papa-Smurf- 6,946

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Welch Mortgages