Cleveland Cliffs #50 Mine

Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 89
Next Last
IHS

Bluefield, WV

#1 Jan 28, 2009
I here that it will be shut down Friday. Anyone else hear anything about this.
coalminerswife

Lerona, WV

#2 Jan 28, 2009
IHS wrote:
I here that it will be shut down Friday. Anyone else hear anything about this.
My husband works there and he hasn't mentioned anything to me about them closing at all.
wondering

Bluefield, WV

#3 Jan 28, 2009
Hubby is a foreman there and he said that it hasn't been mentioned to him. It's hard to believe that they would do this with a new longwall system coming in the late spring/early summer. It is way too late now to back out of the deal with the company building it.
ggs

Bluefield, WV

#4 Jan 28, 2009
I heard about them shutting down also. I was told that it had something to do with Bluestone.
coalminerswife

Lerona, WV

#5 Jan 29, 2009
ggs wrote:
I heard about them shutting down also. I was told that it had something to do with Bluestone.
Cleveland Cliffs is not shut down...My husband went to work this morning as usual. Bluestone is a completely different mining company than cleveland cliffs, if they are having problems it has nothing to do with other coal companies.
wondering

Bluefield, WV

#6 Jan 29, 2009
The rumors floating are being heard among the union miners and they informed the bosses and such. The salary personel have heard nothing about a layoff or shut down. Of course there is always a possibility of one happening, but as of now even the higher ups haven't heard anything.
coalminerswife

Lerona, WV

#7 Jan 29, 2009
wondering wrote:
The rumors floating are being heard among the union miners and they informed the bosses and such. The salary personel have heard nothing about a layoff or shut down. Of course there is always a possibility of one happening, but as of now even the higher ups haven't heard anything.
This mines will not shut down anyway... It has cost them countless dollars to do this long wall... Why would they shut down after paying out all of that money... I think that you are right, there will probably just be a lay off.
wondering

Bluefield, WV

#8 Jan 29, 2009
If there is a shut down, there will still be a few men working and they won't remain idle but for a month or so.

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#9 Jan 30, 2009
Where is this Cleveland Cliff mine?

What city or town?
wondering

Bluefield, WV

#10 Jan 30, 2009
Just outside of Welch going towards Pineville. In Wyoming County. Was once US Steel #50.

“It's a new beginning :D”

Since: Feb 07

Big Four, WV

#11 Jan 30, 2009
Wouldn't surprise me if it did shut down.....everything else to do with Cleveland is having a terrible time.
wondering

Bluefield, WV

#12 Jan 30, 2009
Always a WV Girl wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if it did shut down.....everything else to do with Cleveland is having a terrible time.
Hubby works there. He has been there since 75 and we have weathered a lot of bad times thru the years. I know that they are having trouble with their belt system and coal orders are down. Cleveland doesn't do their coal orders the way other companies do. I find it quite odd the way they do things but I guess every company has their own system. Cleveland in their quest to be the biggest really has gone overboard trying to buy companies. They used good sense a while back when they backed out of one deal. Time will tell about the situation there. This isn't the first bad time and probably won't be the last. With God's help and grace, we'll all make it.
Lucy Mae

Bluefield, WV

#13 Jan 30, 2009
This should have posted under my name. Someone must have used the PC and changed the name. Sorry.
PHS_grad

Arlington, VA

#14 Jan 30, 2009
My boy friend is a buggy man on the 4-12 shift, he has heard them talking about this, but nothing has been said about when, he went to work last night and is scheduled to go to work this evening too. Now at the end of last week, he said that now Saturdays are Idle and that no coal will be run and only a handful will be working Saturdays. They did have to shut it down for a couple of shifts over the belts, but i think they got that fixed........I agree with Coalminers wife, they have all this new equipment coming or already there, so why shut it down now. The orders have been slow, but that doesn't mean that you got to lay off all these guys. Wasn't the first lay off enough men.

ON the Pineville Forum, they are acting like this other lay off will happen Sunday........I hope and pray it doesn't..........How can they run the mines if they lay off another 100........
Lucy Mae

Princeton, WV

#15 Jan 30, 2009
If they idle the mines for a 3-4 weeks, they will keep firebosses, mechanics, electricians, foremen, etc to keep the equipment in top shape so they can start back up without any delays. I don't see how they can lay anyone else off, they don't really have the necessary people to run it properly now. If they do idle it, I don't personally feel that it will be down long. I know there has been talk for the last couple of weeks that they had very few coal orders and then they had the belt trouble. I guess that they must have enough coal on the ground to fill the existing orders. Don't let this get you down, God will see us thru it.
his wifey

Bluefield, WV

#16 Jan 30, 2009
we heard they are filling orders that they had from the previous owners. not sure on that. hubby works 4-12 shift also (son works same shift) and said he has heard of another lay off also. there are always rumors floating around, he has been there since 79, i truly hate to hear this if it is true. i agree with Lucy Mae we have been in worse situations and God has seen us thru.
hello

Lerona, WV

#17 Jan 30, 2009
hi again sandy... hope everything works out for your husband at cleveland cliffs
Lucy Mae

Princeton, WV

#18 Jan 30, 2009
hello wrote:
hi again sandy... hope everything works out for your husband at cleveland cliffs
Who are you?
go to pineville forum

Lerona, WV

#19 Jan 30, 2009
Lucy Mae

Princeton, WV

#20 Jan 30, 2009
Hubby went from not knowing anything about this on Thursday morning to being informed of a few details the same night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 89
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump OKs more coal mining on public lands 18 min Retribution 6
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 26 min Eternal truth 28,875
Favorite songs (Feb '13) 1 hr TRYING-_3 1,024
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 2 hr Mark mark 5,009
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 hr RSM 4,084
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 5 hr Mark mark 39,448
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 5 hr Mark mark 6,961

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance