cooterdog's hang out

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#6631 Feb 24, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Howdy Sundog. Been reading your planting adventures. I have a neighbor that is using things that makes noise around their garden. I've not asked if it works, but I've noticed a lot of strings with bells attached and tin pans along with plastic bags tied to limbs and string around a piece of land that used to look like a garden.
I've seen people use aluminum pie tins tied to the fence as noise makers. I think at first those things work, but deer are pretty smart and eventually they get used to the sound and ignore it. They're pretty crafty animals that seem to be up on most of our tricks....LOL.

satanic witch

“We R Watching U”

Level 5

Since: Dec 11

Albany, NY

#6632 Feb 24, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen people use aluminum pie tins tied to the fence as noise makers. I think at first those things work, but deer are pretty smart and eventually they get used to the sound and ignore it. They're pretty crafty animals that seem to be up on most of our tricks....LOL.
I place motion sensitive toys near the window in the bird room because they would chew the framing if they began sitting in it. They eventually figure out the toy will not hurt them and I have to get a new one. Currently,Maddy's Furbie is standing guard.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6633 Feb 24, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Good afternoon, NorCal Native. It is strange how some animals will take in other animals.
Yep, sometimes I wish people would take a lesson or two from the animal kingdom.
Redneckerson

Alkol, WV

#6634 Feb 24, 2013
satanic witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't fawns drink formula? You know the kind they give to orphaned livestock? Sorry,city girl here.
yes; Goat or lamb formula works well. Around the middle of May is the 1st hay-cutting and several fawns are orphaned and raised by ppl. We ran over a fawn several yrs ago while mowing and its twin wasnt hurt but the mother wouldn't return to the other.My cousin raised it ,then in the fall it returned with other deer. I picked on him hard about butchering the little fawn ,telling him once you skin them you can't see the spots. I was just picking though I couldnt have killed it.

Level 9

#6635 Feb 24, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. I know that dogs and cats take in other animals, but I just wasn't sure about deer. Some animals will and some won't. Even within certain species, some mothers will take in orphans and others won't. I guess that is similar to humans.
I would agree......but humans could take some lessons from the animal kingdom in certain situations!!!

Level 9

#6636 Feb 24, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>yes; Goat or lamb formula works well. Around the middle of May is the 1st hay-cutting and several fawns are orphaned and raised by ppl. We ran over a fawn several yrs ago while mowing and its twin wasnt hurt but the mother wouldn't return to the other.My cousin raised it ,then in the fall it returned with other deer. I picked on him hard about butchering the little fawn ,telling him once you skin them you can't see the spots. I was just picking though I couldnt have killed it.
I hate hitting animals even ones already dead and ran over......I just don't like harming any living thing!!!

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#6637 Feb 24, 2013
satanic witch wrote:
<quoted text>
I place motion sensitive toys near the window in the bird room because they would chew the framing if they began sitting in it. They eventually figure out the toy will not hurt them and I have to get a new one. Currently,Maddy's Furbie is standing guard.
LMAO!

Finally, someone finds a use for a "Furbie."

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#6638 Feb 24, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree......but humans could take some lessons from the animal kingdom in certain situations!!!
I agree. And I think we could take lessons in most situations.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#6639 Feb 24, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate hitting animals even ones already dead and ran over......I just don't like harming any living thing!!!
I agree, but I did run over a cat once that was flopping all over the road. It had been hit and it was obvious there was no way it was going to recover. I couldn't just drive away thinking it was suffering.

“Right To Die With Dignity ”

Level 9

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#6640 Feb 24, 2013
satanic witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Furbie has a purpose...:)

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#6641 Feb 24, 2013
satanic witch wrote:
<quoted text>
He kills the deer he raises in a pen? Doesn't seem fair at least the wild ones have a chance. Maybe that's why the adult dear turned nasty? They knew the guy was going to kill them.
Yeah, he had a permit from the state to raise deer. Not at all sure how that worked, but I remember when I lived in NJ, you could buy farm-raised venison in a restaurant in New Brunswick. So I guess they consider it like livestock or something.
Redneckerson

Alkol, WV

#6642 Feb 24, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I do too, but deer try to hide their fawns in tall grass, and you can't see them on a tractor. The worse are snakes ,when you grab a square bail of hay in the field too throw on the trailer and half a snake is sticking out! Scares you every time. Even though they are usually dead after going through the bailer.
Friend

United States

#6643 Feb 24, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>I have a deer problem too eating flowers and food plants. I've even had a deer eat my roses one year. My neighbors use a spray to keep the deer away, but I don't like all those chemicals in on my food or soaking in the ground. We have well water and it is really good. It was so good that the man that lived here before I bought this place made moonshine using the water. I found the still in my basement and had some guys stop by and ask for the man. Never a dull moment at this place.:D
America's Favorite Deer Repellent offers Year-Round Deer Protection.
Liquid Fence's all natural Deer Repellent is designed to offer you year-round protection from deer and rabbits. Like all of Liquid Fence's animal repellents, our deer and rabbit repellent is proven effective at safely repelling deer and rabbits. Deer are constantly foraging for food, eating evergreens, shrubs and other landscape plants. If you haven't already been doing it, now is the time to start your regimen of Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent. When springtime bulbs poke out of the ground, they're like little signs that say “come eat me”. To keep your landscape safe, all it takes is a few minutes and our all-natural Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent. Available in convenient quart ready-to-use sprayers to 2.5 gallon concentrates,and two and five pound granular in handy shaker containers for low-lying vegetation... so there is sure to be a perfect size to meet your needs. Over half a million customers can't be wrong, Liquid Fence repellents really work!

I have used this for years. I live in the rural area with
A garden and many fruit trees. The deer would come
Into our yard and eat the tips of the trees in the winter.
They would rub on the tree trunks for making their
Territory. One year they ruined a peach tree and a apple tree. Found this and have used it for 8 years with
No problems. Spray around gardens and flower beds to keep rabbits out. This needs to be sprayed often. Maybe once a week. The one draw back is it smells awful. Do not get it on you. This can be found at most farm supply
Places. I think Menards has it or order from the Liquid
Fence company. I use concentrated and mix my own
And Use a hand sprayer to spray it.

Level 9

#6644 Feb 24, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but I did run over a cat once that was flopping all over the road. It had been hit and it was obvious there was no way it was going to recover. I couldn't just drive away thinking it was suffering.
Yea, I think that if people got as upset over baby animals getting hit as they do about human babies......maybe more would be careful when driving.....I mean we have invaded their home area and we need to learn how to share the space!!!

Level 9

#6645 Feb 24, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>I do too, but deer try to hide their fawns in tall grass, and you can't see them on a tractor. The worse are snakes ,when you grab a square bail of hay in the field too throw on the trailer and half a snake is sticking out! Scares you every time. Even though they are usually dead after going through the bailer.
I understand that......I was mowing my back yard one year on a riding mower and the grass/weeds were so high that this snake had found a a place to sleep and I ran right over it and cut it like in 3 places......I felt bad, but it wasn't something I did on purpose!!!

We had a baby rattler on our walkway during the summer one year and when we tried to push it along with a push broom......it attacked the broom......eventually we got it to move on!!!

Level 7

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#6646 Feb 24, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Hi -Lily-. How are you today?
Hi Cd I am doing great today! I think it's gonna get better and better everyday from here on out! Enjoying the wonderful weather here today, even have a few windows open. Makes me want Spring to hurry up!

Level 9

#6647 Feb 24, 2013
-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Cd I am doing great today! I think it's gonna get better and better everyday from here on out! Enjoying the wonderful weather here today, even have a few windows open. Makes me want Spring to hurry up!
The infection is gone? I love to see your positive posts......I can feel your energy:-)

Level 9

Location hidden

#6648 Feb 24, 2013
Friend wrote:
<quoted text>
America's Favorite Deer Repellent offers Year-Round Deer Protection.
Liquid Fence's all natural Deer Repellent is designed to offer you year-round protection from deer and rabbits. Like all of Liquid Fence's animal repellents, our deer and rabbit repellent is proven effective at safely repelling deer and rabbits. Deer are constantly foraging for food, eating evergreens, shrubs and other landscape plants. If you haven't already been doing it, now is the time to start your regimen of Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent. When springtime bulbs poke out of the ground, they're like little signs that say “come eat me”. To keep your landscape safe, all it takes is a few minutes and our all-natural Liquid Fence Deer & Rabbit Repellent. Available in convenient quart ready-to-use sprayers to 2.5 gallon concentrates,and two and five pound granular in handy shaker containers for low-lying vegetation... so there is sure to be a perfect size to meet your needs. Over half a million customers can't be wrong, Liquid Fence repellents really work!
I have used this for years. I live in the rural area with
A garden and many fruit trees. The deer would come
Into our yard and eat the tips of the trees in the winter.
They would rub on the tree trunks for making their
Territory. One year they ruined a peach tree and a apple tree. Found this and have used it for 8 years with
No problems. Spray around gardens and flower beds to keep rabbits out. This needs to be sprayed often. Maybe once a week. The one draw back is it smells awful. Do not get it on you. This can be found at most farm supply
Places. I think Menards has it or order from the Liquid
Fence company. I use concentrated and mix my own
And Use a hand sprayer to spray it.
Thank you for your post.

Level 9

Location hidden

#6649 Feb 24, 2013
-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://youtu.be/25iyJZlVEu8
1 post removed

Level 7

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#6651 Feb 24, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
The infection is gone? I love to see your positive posts......I can feel your energy:-)
Yes it is and I feel great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 hr huh 4,248
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) 6 hr River Tam 20,087
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 8 hr Princess Hey 7,091
Welch Community n 12 hr MR Truth N Conque... 16
Roderfield P.H Church (Jul '10) 15 hr Jack 226
Remembering The Old Welch Of 70's/80's (Dec '08) Wed Easley 400
head of the dragon Sep 19 Jackies Harley 3

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance