Welch Elementary Nativity Scene Removal

Posted in the Welch Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 263 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2008
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Atheist

Danville, VA

#1 Nov 16, 2008
It is a severe infringement of beliefs for a public school; should not appear in Welch this year. Press will eat up the separation of church and state debate. I wonder who can inform them???

Here is a link to St Albans Nativity Scene P.A.E.

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2006/12/02/the-war-o...
Captain Sunshine

Welch, WV

#2 Nov 16, 2008
You are still in welch elementary school? If not, I doubt you have any knowledge of the beliefs of the teachers and families of those who are. How can you insist their beliefs are being infringed when you don't know what they are? I think you mean your beliefs are being infringed, right? I say, you don't have any dogs in that race and it's none of your business.
Atheist

Danville, VA

#3 Nov 16, 2008
I am a tax payer. Its all my business. There are several Jehovah's Witnesses and one Jew kid. From what I understand a couple black parents even claim to be muslim. Who will stand up for them? Especially the wacky JWs. Besides, its an eyesore.
Captain Sunshine

Welch, WV

#4 Nov 16, 2008
Let them stand up for themselves, imo. You're just being a rabble-rouser.
Atheist

Danville, VA

#5 Nov 16, 2008
Captain Sunshine wrote:
Let them stand up for themselves, imo. You're just being a rabble-rouser.
So was John Adams.
vintenwin

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Nov 17, 2008
Captain Sunshine wrote:
You are still in welch elementary school? If not, I doubt you have any knowledge of the beliefs of the teachers and families of those who are. How can you insist their beliefs are being infringed when you don't know what they are? I think you mean your beliefs are being infringed, right? I say, you don't have any dogs in that race and it's none of your business.
It is a legitimate debate . It has all kinds of ramifications. Some of which, even you would not like.I don't think it will be settled locally. It is a national issue .
Atheist

Danville, VA

#7 Nov 17, 2008
vintenwin wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a legitimate debate . It has all kinds of ramifications. Some of which, even you would not like.I don't think it will be settled locally. It is a national issue .
You are right. But not many schools in the country have a nativity scene...I have been looking. Most areas would not put up with it. "Happy Holidays" should suffice.
Captain Sunshine

Welch, WV

#8 Nov 17, 2008
Atheist wrote:
...not many schools in the country have a nativity scene...I have been looking.
AHA!! Rabble-rousing!!:)
vintenwin

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Nov 17, 2008
Captain Sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>
AHA!! Rabble-rousing!!:)
you are getting funny now, Cap
JUST AN OBSERVER

Franklin, NY

#10 Nov 17, 2008
i find it rather comical that atheists call for a separation between church and government and government is quick to oblige. however, when the political powers that be cash their exorbitant paychecks, they have no problem stuffing their wallets with one hundred dollar bills that say "in GOD we trust"
Atheist

Danville, VA

#11 Nov 17, 2008
JUST AN OBSERVER wrote:
i find it rather comical that atheists call for a separation between church and government and government is quick to oblige. however, when the political powers that be cash their exorbitant paychecks, they have no problem stuffing their wallets with one hundred dollar bills that say "in GOD we trust"
We are fighting that battle too. It will be off money within the next four years. We finally have a sympathetic president and liberals have control of congress it is a brighter day for those of rational thought.
just me

Princeton, WV

#12 Nov 17, 2008
Atheist wrote:
It is a severe infringement of beliefs for a public school; should not appear in Welch this year. Press will eat up the separation of church and state debate. I wonder who can inform them???
Here is a link to St Albans Nativity Scene P.A.E.
http://scaredmonkeys.com/2006/12/02/the-war-o...
I pray that God will have mercy on you.
Dufus

Kernersville, NC

#13 Nov 17, 2008
Atheist wrote:
I am a tax payer. Its all my business. There are several Jehovah's Witnesses and one Jew kid. From what I understand a couple black parents even claim to be muslim. Who will stand up for them? Especially the wacky JWs. Besides, its an eyesore.
You`re a dam liar, you aint worked in 20 freakin years, you been on welfare for the last ten years...Who do you think you`re bull$hittin pervert???
Atheist

Danville, VA

#14 Nov 17, 2008
Dufus wrote:
<quoted text>You`re a dam liar, you aint worked in 20 freakin years, you been on welfare for the last ten years...Who do you think you`re bull$hittin pervert???
Not only have a worked all my life but I have two undergraduate degrees, papers published in academic publications, I have a successful website, I am about to finish my MBA and I teach a history of political science course where I get to debate Greek Philosophy with extremely intelligent individuals every day. I am also married (to a woman) for over 10 years and now we could never be happier.

How about you? You sound mad at your life not mine? Get up on the wrong side of the van this morning?
Cathy Patton

Bramwell, WV

#15 Nov 17, 2008
Atheist wrote:
I am a tax payer. Its all my business. There are several Jehovah's Witnesses and one Jew kid. From what I understand a couple black parents even claim to be muslim. Who will stand up for them? Especially the wacky JWs. Besides, its an eyesore.
With all the problems in society--crime, drug abuse, domestic violence, poverty-- one would think that people would have something better to do than to fume about a harmless nativity scene on a school roof. Whether you, Atheist, like it or not, this is still the buckle of the Bible-belt and that nativity scene does not offend 99.9 percent of the people in McDowell County. An outsider a few years ago raised a ruckus about it and was sent packing and told to mind his own business. This is still America and the Free State of McDowell, where the minority does not have the right to dictate to the majority. Why is it is now OK for Ramadan and other non-Christian holidays to be recognized but not allow the same right for Christians who celebrate Christmas? Find something better to do with your time than to major on the minor. Not one person is harmed by the nativity scene. If anyone is offended by it, the person simply needs to look the other way. As for the taxpayer arguement, more taxpayers in this county like the nativity scene than dislike it. Do something more worthwhile with your time than to make an issue out of a time-honored tradition. Place what ever significance on the nativity scene that you like, but it is a local tradition and you have no right to try to dictate to local residents how to celebrate the holidays. What's next, tearing pictures of the Star of the East and the three Wisemen out of Christian books? The loonacy about the harm of Christian symbols in society needs to end. There are far too many other important issues to worry about during this blessed season.

Since: Nov 08

Walnut Cove, NC

#16 Nov 17, 2008
Shows ya some people are Spineless
1 post removed
Atheist

Danville, VA

#18 Nov 17, 2008
Cathy Patton wrote:
<quoted text>
With all the problems in society--crime, drug abuse, domestic violence, poverty-- one would think that people would have something better to do than to fume about a harmless nativity scene on a school roof. Whether you, Atheist, like it or not, this is still the buckle of the Bible-belt and that nativity scene does not offend 99.9 percent of the people in McDowell County. An outsider a few years ago raised a ruckus about it and was sent packing and told to mind his own business. This is still America and the Free State of McDowell, where the minority does not have the right to dictate to the majority. Why is it is now OK for Ramadan and other non-Christian holidays to be recognized but not allow the same right for Christians who celebrate Christmas? Find something better to do with your time than to major on the minor. Not one person is harmed by the nativity scene. If anyone is offended by it, the person simply needs to look the other way. As for the taxpayer arguement, more taxpayers in this county like the nativity scene than dislike it. Do something more worthwhile with your time than to make an issue out of a time-honored tradition. Place what ever significance on the nativity scene that you like, but it is a local tradition and you have no right to try to dictate to local residents how to celebrate the holidays. What's next, tearing pictures of the Star of the East and the three Wisemen out of Christian books? The loonacy about the harm of Christian symbols in society needs to end. There are far too many other important issues to worry about during this blessed season.
Christians love to bring up crime, all the while the numbers have decreased year after year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_Uni...

Its just further proof that you rely on blind faith instead of logic and fact.

99.9 %??? You must be joking, no wait you are just spouting anything without facts AGAIN. There are plenty of people in Welch and McDowell county it has offended. Especially the Jehovahs Witnesses and their numbers destroy your figure already. The jews don't like it and there are a couple black muslims I have spoken to in McDowell. It won't go up this year. Just because you believe in majority rule, luckily the press won't. Neither does the supreme court. there MUST be a separation of church and state. More good news for you is I am not an outsider. My mother and father still live in Welch, I have grandparents in Wyoming county. Its time to fight the Nativity Scene. Sounds like to me the other guy forgot to call the ACLU for the parents of the disenfranchised children.

Happy Holidays!
Atheist

Danville, VA

#19 Nov 17, 2008
Zooky wrote:
Shows ya some people are Spineless
How do they walk?
Jamie

Gilbert, WV

#20 Nov 17, 2008
Please realize Jesus was a suckling infant in that nativity scene, however he is not that infant any longer. He will return as the Lion of the tribe of Judea. King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Death couldn't handle him and the grave couldn't hold him. The good news is He is eternally steadfast and is a Savior to sinners. Religion is just that--Religion. Jesus is about RELATIONSHIP. I know he is alive today. Hallelujah!!!!
Atheist

Danville, VA

#21 Nov 17, 2008
Jamie wrote:
Please realize Jesus was a suckling infant in that nativity scene, however he is not that infant any longer. He will return as the Lion of the tribe of Judea. King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Death couldn't handle him and the grave couldn't hold him. The good news is He is eternally steadfast and is a Savior to sinners. Religion is just that--Religion. Jesus is about RELATIONSHIP. I know he is alive today. Hallelujah!!!!
What is his address? I would love to add him to my Christmas card list.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what is the usefulness of topix 14 min -Lily- 13,393
Debate: Ferguson - Welch, WV 28 min Cookie_Parker 92
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 29 min Weepy 11,416
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 50 min Innocent Bystander 57,165
Firings at WalMart 1 hr crazy 13
any hot single guys in welch. 7 hr Just letting you ... 12
computer repair 9 hr except 4
•••
•••
•••

Welch Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Welch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Welch News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Welch
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••