Some don't want to WORK, why?

Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cleveland

Hudson, OH

#1 Dec 12, 2012
I was making an income at age 13, even paid Fed Tx and paid into SS. There are jobs begging today. People are looking for a handy man/woman to fix up around their homes. Work at Painting, summer time ALL KINDS of jobs. Washing cars, washing peoples windows. GO ASK a home owner if you can wash his/her windows,$$$$$$'s.
Sell on Ebay sell on ioffer do typing, teach a class of computer, cooking, teach at what you know...Once I work for a Music studio teaching guitar lessons.
WHY don't some don't want to work and earn a buck?
1 post removed

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3 Dec 12, 2012
Cleveland wrote:
I was making an income at age 13, even paid Fed Tx and paid into SS. There are jobs begging today. People are looking for a handy man/woman to fix up around their homes. Work at Painting, summer time ALL KINDS of jobs. Washing cars, washing peoples windows. GO ASK a home owner if you can wash his/her windows,$$$$$$'s.
Sell on Ebay sell on ioffer do typing, teach a class of computer, cooking, teach at what you know...Once I work for a Music studio teaching guitar lessons.
WHY don't some don't want to work and earn a buck?
The problem is even bigger than that Rev. For one thing, there are a lot of decent jobs out there, but people don't want to go where the work is. Auto workers would rather stay in Michigan. Coal miners would rather stay in WV. The list is almost endless of people who complain about low-paying jobs rather than go where the work is. Look into Williston, North Dakota jobs as an example.

http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/10/2...

Secondly, there are literally thousands of jobs for skilled workers going unfilled today. These are mostly technical jobs for CNC programmers and operators. They're good jobs, they're high paying jobs but people need some technical training. Too many kids these days are making the assumption that college is the only way and while they may be getting a good education, they are not really being trained for today's jobs market.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/30/on-job-h...
Clem

Hudson, OH

#4 Dec 12, 2012
i love posting like this wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are these "some people"?
Their out here a sittin in my front yard. I want my chimmnley pit cleaned for my fireplace. I want to get my patio stained, I'd even buy the stain. I want to get the ditch cleaned back on my acres. I need someone to chain saw some trees that came down in the last storm on several acres of my land. I want our 2nd car serviced (oil/filters and ect). My wife had to rent a car to go on a singing appearance for a Mall near Cleveland.

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Level 8

Since: Oct 09

Leiden, Netherlands

#5 Dec 12, 2012
They don't work because the government pays them to have babies. There are jobs out there and like SD said,they might have to leave home and go where the jobs are. Instead of welfare the government should give relocation money to help people move to areas with jobs.
2 posts removed
Clem

Hudson, OH

#8 Dec 12, 2012
OK, nobody wants to move to where the jobs are. OK, nobody wants to leave the homeland.
Reminds me of Africa or other places where tens of thousands are camped dying in their homeland, no food.........NUT, get up and start walking, GO get into the forest where tree bark is. Take that woman and babies and move on, GO GO GO GO. Don't just lay there in the sand.
1 post removed

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Level 8

Leiden, Netherlands

#10 Dec 12, 2012
<quoted text>
Really? What program pays women to have more babies?
The welfare system,does, Cookie. Irresponsible people who have children they cannot afford get all kinds of benefits at our expense. Well maybe not yours, you're probably retired.

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Level 8

Leiden, Netherlands

#11 Dec 12, 2012
Corrector wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite different, really. NO one will move you for free. And the Africans that stay are in the middle of desolate and warring lands.
You sure have a lot of prejudices based on no knowledge.
Actually,he has a point. If I were in some desolate area and starving,I would rather take my chances and walk to the nearest jungle or forest to live off the land or die trying. It would be better than doing nothing. If you're gonna die might as well die fighting and who knows,you might win.
1 post removed

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Level 8

Leiden, Netherlands

#13 Dec 12, 2012
Corrector wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's because you don't know the continent. Bravery is made from ignorance. Right?
Says the person who thinks that Sweden is not in Europe.LMAO
Huh Cookie?

I don't care where it is, Africa,Asia,Germany,Mexico or the US,wherever. I would still do what I could to ensure my survival instead of doing nothing.
looking

Princeton, WV

#14 Dec 12, 2012
hey pagan when was you out lookin for a job ? well let me tell you i have worked and payed my way since i was 16 and im 37 now and just last month i was laid off and have been trying to get a job ever since . so i would like to know where all these jobs are ?

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Level 8

Leiden, Netherlands

#15 Dec 12, 2012
looking wrote:
hey pagan when was you out lookin for a job ? well let me tell you i have worked and payed my way since i was 16 and im 37 now and just last month i was laid off and have been trying to get a job ever since . so i would like to know where all these jobs are ?
I have two jobs.

Look here.
http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends.jsp

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#16 Dec 12, 2012
Is there any way you can say this in your own words? I really don't have time to read this convoluted cut and paste stuff. I am speaking from personal experiecne on both of these issues.

As far as not being able to afford to move, I would only ask how can they afford not to move?

Secondly, with all of these cuts to spending, the education system is relying on information from 20 years ago and still cranking out history majors. Those days are over with. The world has changed. We need more technical people with technical skills.
<quoted text>
Jobs they DON'T want, or can't afford to MOVE to the place?
As to your second comment, many believe this about those "skills" jobs...not to disagree with your FOX reference.
http://business.time.com/2012/06/04/the-skill...
Ideas for Business
The Skills Gap Myth: Why Companies Can’t Find Good People
By Peter CappelliJune 04, 2012Add a Comment
inShare307
reject
Getty Images
Related
Survey shows no let-up in ‘skills gap’ Financial Times
Exploding the myth of the UK ‘skills gap’ Computing
Email
Print
Comment
Follow @TIMEBusiness
Last week’s disappointing unemployment report has refocused attention on the question of why, despite modest signs of economic recovery in recent months, American companies aren’t hiring.
Indeed, some of the most puzzling stories to come out of the Great Recession are the many claims by employers that they cannot find qualified applicants to fill their jobs, despite the millions of unemployed who are seeking work. Beyond the anecdotes themselves is survey evidence, most recently from Manpower, which finds roughly half of employers reporting trouble filling their vacancies.
The first thing that makes me wonder about the supposed “skill gap” is that, when pressed for more evidence, roughly 10% of employers admit that the problem is really that the candidates they want won’t accept the positions at the wage level being offered. That’s not a skill shortage, it’s simply being unwilling to pay the going price.
(MORE: Why Aren’t There More Jobs?)
But the heart of the real story about employer difficulties in hiring can be seen in the Manpower data showing that only 15% of employers who say they see a skill shortage say that the issue is a lack of candidate knowledge, which is what we’d normally think of as skill. Instead, by far the most important shortfall they see in candidates is a lack of experience doing similar jobs. Employers are not looking to hire entry-level applicants right out of school. They want experienced candidates who can contribute immediately with no training or start-up time. That’s certainly understandable, but the only people who can do that are those who have done virtually the same job before, and that often requires a skill set that, in a rapidly changing world, may die out soon after it is perfected.
Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/06/04/the-skill...
----------

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#17 Dec 12, 2012
paganbirdkeeper666 wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the person who thinks that Sweden is not in Europe.LMAO
Huh Cookie?
I don't care where it is, Africa,Asia,Germany,Mexico or the US,wherever. I would still do what I could to ensure my survival instead of doing nothing.
I've been through this before. Some people want to argue simply for sake of arguing. Even if you agreed with them 100% politically, philosophically and on every other matter, they would still want to argue.

If they ever had a valid point, it would be worth the time, but almost without fail, they don't have a valid argument.

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Level 8

Leiden, Netherlands

#18 Dec 12, 2012
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been through this before. Some people want to argue simply for sake of arguing. Even if you agreed with them 100% politically, philosophically and on every other matter, they would still want to argue.
If they ever had a valid point, it would be worth the time, but almost without fail, they don't have a valid argument.
Exactly. They also cannot ever give a straight answer.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#19 Dec 12, 2012
paganbirdkeeper666 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. They also cannot ever give a straight answer.
I think that's what happens if they argue simply for the sake of arguing.
Clem

Hudson, OH

#20 Dec 12, 2012
looking wrote:
Get training for a new work. Pagan has an awesome job, why don't work in her field? Do Santa work? Learn acting and get in a popular play at your local Arts Center or Straw Hat theater. I have even earn money doing acting in a Christmas play, its easy work..Do snow plowing in Cleveland.
looking

Princeton, WV

#21 Dec 12, 2012
Clem wrote:
<quoted text>Get training for a new work. Pagan has an awesome job, why don't work in her field? Do Santa work? Learn acting and get in a popular play at your local Arts Center or Straw Hat theater. I have even earn money doing acting in a Christmas play, its easy work..Do snow plowing in Cleveland.
ha funny i live in west virginia not many snow plowing jobs here and its not so easy to pick upand move when you set your roots and owe for everything you have and even harder when your a single parent raising 4 growing children.also going back to school isnt a option when school doesnt pay the bills and even worse i christmas and still havnt gotten my kids gifts . would you know how that feels do you even care ? its hard to find a job that pays the bills when you have to pay what i pay monthly and cooking burgers or doing odd jobs for min wage wouldnt hardly pay my mortgage.
Cleveland

Hudson, OH

#22 Dec 12, 2012
Welfare: Section 8 a roof over ones head paid for by the Gov is where the brakes should be applied. Let the person GO get their own food as in the olden days. The Fed Gov is at the almost way over the income coming in, debts are paying for our welfare system give away for the 50% Taxes paid. NOW, what does a person get going out an getting their own food? Gets them out of the house off the couch. There is soup kitchens all over our town at least a dozen. Work for a sandwich feels good. Unless the Fed Gov cuts this Free Give away of the Tresury the Gov's days are numbered. I noticed that those on total welfare for years all have the luxury of life. Surely that small welfare check did not buy them all of it. NO, they tapped into another income. SO, that income they tap into should support them 1st to eat then for other of lifes needs.

Level 8

Since: Jan 10

Charleston, WV

#23 Dec 12, 2012
People without jobs should be put in concentration camps. Then gas them and render their bodies down for animal feed. Their hides could be tanned for clothing...its just recycling.

Jonathan Swift.

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#24 Dec 13, 2012
This is one of those sore subjects for me. The company I work for has had open requisitions for years now to hire qualified CNC technicians. We just can't find them anywhere.

I don't think the schools put enough emphasis on vocational education any more. They teach the basics and don't really offer those who don't want to go to college a career path.

Manufacturing is changing in this country. It is becoming very automated, but someone will always be needed to program and/or repair those machines. We need to find a way to plug those holes fast.
1 post removed

“Of Course I Can”

Level 9

Location hidden

#26 Dec 13, 2012
it is me Cookie wrote:
<quoted text>
Purdue, if I am reading this correctly, has a school for that.
http://www.engr.iupui.edu/cnc/services.shtml...
I doubt they are unique to other Engineering schools.
Maybe the pay is ridiculously low, and people facing the HUGE loan repayments, can't afford to take the job AND live?
Could be, but I think when I see people working retail jobs that are notoriously low-paying that they should look into some sort of technical training. A lot of these jobs are paying 20+ an hour with good benefits. Honestly, if I had it all to do over again, I think that's the route I would take. Those are going to be stable jobs for a long time to come.

Even fields like Computer Aided Design (CAD), which are normally a two year program are hurting for people. Hopefully a lot of the vets returning from the wars will take advantage of their government benefits and enroll in these technical fields.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 2 hr Sundog512 33,662
Word assocation (Sep '07) 2 hr Princess Hey 17,671
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 3 hr Princess Hey 6,047
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 2,404
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 6 hr mzrevenge 1,385
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 7 hr purplelady1040 36,367
Poll Do you agree with the government decision to ba... (Aug '15) 23 hr Trump makes sense 19

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Welch Mortgages