Jeannette Walls receives Literary Mer...

Jeannette Walls receives Literary Merit Award

There are 330 comments on the The Herald-Dispatch.com story from Oct 4, 2006, titled Jeannette Walls receives Literary Merit Award. In it, The Herald-Dispatch.com reports that:

Submitted by Jennifer Sias, Associate Professor and Information Literacy Librarian, Marshall University Libraries When Jeannette Walls was a child and a teenager, food often was scarce or nonexistent, and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald-Dispatch.com.

charlene hale

Tyler, TX

#297 Feb 2, 2009
ethan wrote:
that was a great book
I agree. I couldn't put it down ! I was born
and raised in Welch and I remember the Walls family. Ms. Wall depiction of her life there is
as real as it gets. We were poor, but my parents
did the best they could. No person should judge
the Walls family unless they were in their shoes.
Ignorance and hating will always exist.
Thank you Jeanette for telling it like it really
was. You have been an inspiration to me !!!!!!! I
am not hiding my name because I am proud to be a
survivor also.
mamboitaliano

AOL

#298 Feb 2, 2009
I was born and raised in Welch and remember the Walls family very well. Jeanette wrote a fantastic book and I hope her story goes to the big screen.....IF that is something she would want. I have a hard back copy and hopefully will get the opportunity to have her autograph it someday.
allegra

Revelstoke, Canada

#299 Feb 20, 2009
I feel saddened by some of these posts. Jeannette has flourished and seen the positives in a challenging situation. I can't even believe that people feel she's "dissed" their town, simply by telling the truth of her story. There is health and healing in expressing the truth, even when people don't want to hear it. Jeannette deserves recognition and admiration for her pluck and courage to create a prosperous and positive life.

Since: Jul 08

Indianapolis, IN

#300 Feb 26, 2009
Since when are we required to praise our abusive/absent/beningly-neglig ant parents? All that does is keep the cycle of abuse going on. I say she did well. She got out of poverty and propelled herself into a high profile life. Anyone who disagrees is just petty and jealous.
Sorry

AOL

#301 Feb 26, 2009
I was raised in Welch and I remember her from High School. She was older than I but I don't remember anyone in school being mean to her. Since I was younger maybe I didn't see it. But i was only a few years younger.
I no longer live there but I have to say that when I did I had a great childhood. My parents were not rich...not even close to it. I can only say good things about my child hood growing up there. I lived there until I was 18 and went into the military. I could not have ask for a better place to grow up!! All of the people that lived around us were nice people. Funny how two people can grow up in the same place and view it this differently. I did know all the families that lived around her and all she would have had to do was they same thing her little sister did, Tell someone!!! Her little sister as told in the book lived with some of the people around her. And to tell you the truth I do not believe half of what she wrote.
meme

Virginia Beach, VA

#302 Feb 26, 2009
i believe as children we dont see things as they are somtimes i know i was raised as some would as poor folks but we were happy and did not no we were poor my parents took care of us .her parents did not .neighbors should have noticed this and reported it they sure would in welch today. i know a lot of kids that were neglected back then as well as today . i am proud of her
Sorry

AOL

#303 Feb 26, 2009
With there being three kids and one already staying with friends I think people did know and I think that if it were as bad as she made it out ot be then something would have been done. She was on the school paper and there were teachers who would have made sure she was not going hungry. I can remember seeing her in the hallways at Welch high and she looked fine to me. I know some of the people that she talked about in the book and it is really hard for me to believe. I was in the same town and not that much younger.
Sorry

AOL

#304 Feb 26, 2009
BTW...I am proud of any one who has done as well as she has. I think she had some issue other than what she wrote about and she was just getting even.

“Gotta Love the Beagle! ”

Since: May 07

princeton wv

#305 Feb 27, 2009
How is telling her story "getting even?"
Does it not stand to reason that if one child is staying with neighbors thats indicitave of a problem at home? Just because she had someplace to escape to does not mean the rest did.
Ever read "the boy called it?" he was the only one of her kids that was tortured but by looking at the other kids by your explanation it didnt happen to him. Lots of things happen in this world we dont know about because if we did obviously we could have helped out in some way. When we are children we do not know the stife of others unless we go thru it ourselves. You were blessed to have a good childhood, others arent so lucky

“Gotta Love the Beagle! ”

Since: May 07

princeton wv

#306 Feb 27, 2009
strife ..typo
yankee

United States

#307 Mar 1, 2009
Seeker wrote:
How is telling her story "getting even?"
Does it not stand to reason that if one child is staying with neighbors thats indicitave of a problem at home? Just because she had someplace to escape to does not mean the rest did.
Ever read "the boy called it?" he was the only one of her kids that was tortured but by looking at the other kids by your explanation it didnt happen to him. Lots of things happen in this world we dont know about because if we did obviously we could have helped out in some way. When we are children we do not know the stife of others unless we go thru it ourselves. You were blessed to have a good childhood, others arent so lucky
I read this book mentioned a boy called it. It was one of the most gripping stories I have ever read. I read it years ago and still remember it like it was yesterday. I could not put the book down. Read the whole thing in one day. Unbelievable to those of us with a heart that people can actually be so messed up as to torture a child. If something tortureous like this happens, I think it helps the person telling the story to survive, and it helps the reader to learn about the hardships of others. Opens the doors of our hearts, and helps us want to be better people. Compassion. To much of this kinda of thing is kept secret. By telling the story it raises awarness. And by the way Hey gurl, seeker. You know who I am. Luv u.
SideWays

Waterford, MI

#308 Apr 14, 2009
I just had to say that I read the book and I see some humanity in her parents. There are instances where the love for their children is very apparent, but the true crime in all they did was to be selfish, particularly the mother. The father was not so bad when he could keep himself sober, especially consider his own upbringing. There are hints that her father, Rex, may have been sexually abused, his mother was atrocious and his brother tried to mess with Jeannette. Jeannette, Brian, Lori and Maureen spent some time with Rex's family and that was the worst place they had every lived. One thing that I admired most about their parents is them pushing for the kids to read so much. There are families that are a lot better off and they don't encourage their kids to read at all. I feel like the reading played a large part in breaking the endless horrible cycle that their family was going through and the kids seemed to find their way out.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#309 Apr 14, 2009
SideWays wrote:
I just had to say that I read the book and I see some humanity in her parents. There are instances where the love for their children is very apparent, but the true crime in all they did was to be selfish, particularly the mother. The father was not so bad when he could keep himself sober, especially consider his own upbringing. There are hints that her father, Rex, may have been sexually abused, his mother was atrocious and his brother tried to mess with Jeannette. Jeannette, Brian, Lori and Maureen spent some time with Rex's family and that was the worst place they had every lived. One thing that I admired most about their parents is them pushing for the kids to read so much. There are families that are a lot better off and they don't encourage their kids to read at all. I feel like the reading played a large part in breaking the endless horrible cycle that their family was going through and the kids seemed to find their way out.
I finished this book not too long ago myself and I totally agree with you. They were definitely not the world's greatest parents, but I thought it was clear that the children were loved also.

I didn't take a negative impression of Welch away with the story. In fact, I thought she gave full credit for their circumstances to her parents.
mamboitaliano

AOL

#310 Apr 15, 2009
I really enjoyed reading The Glass Castle and admire Jeanette Walls very much. I am hoping her story becomes a movie....opening night at the Welch Theatre would bring in alot of business.
meghan

Huntington, WV

#311 Apr 15, 2009
my class read "the glass castle" when we were seniors & we loved it! we wrote jeannette walls & she was kind enough to come all the way to matewan high school to speak. she also had lunch with my literature class & spent time with us after school. she is a beautiful woman, inside & out. she deserves all the success in the world.
TGCJW

Alpharetta, GA

#312 Apr 20, 2009
I have just read the book and I've got to say that it must have been quite tough to right such a memoir. If some of the people who say that she lies or this is bs would actually read some of her interviews and such, she says that she actually moved to NY w/ nothing and went to college on scholarships. She graduated and made something of herself w/o telling of her story. She was to embarrassed.
Drea

Chicago, IL

#313 Jul 26, 2009
wow, this is the most annoying thing i've ever read, and I can't peel my eyes away. Like a car wreck...
Drea

Chicago, IL

#314 Jul 26, 2009
sorry, was reading warfare commentary for a few pages... that was rough.

Does anyone know what happened to her sister Maureen?
Stone1

Sumter, SC

#315 Jul 26, 2009
Stone1 wrote:
<quoted text>
From my understanding, the title of her new book may be, If This Wall Could Talk. Maureen lives in New York.
I will mention your last name when I write to Jeannette.
Please tell Ella, hello, for me!
Maureen lives in New York.
jack

Mooresville, NC

#316 Jul 28, 2009
Glad to see you back on here Stone

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 1 hr Zani Grey 7,084
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) 1 hr Sundog512 19,991
Mike Green (Feb '14) 1 hr Old friends 7
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 hr RSM 4,245
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 6 hr God bless Trump 40,130
head of the dragon 6 hr Jackies Harley 3
Crooked lawyer 6 hr no no 2

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance