Since: Oct 07

United States

#21 Oct 27, 2007
NC Flyfisher wrote:
I live in WNC and fly fish religiously. I have been working in McDowell Co, WV for 2 months and have fished Elkhorn twice. Once 2 months back and today. I have to say that it was an honor each time. By far the best trout stream that I have ever fished.
I only saw one dead fish, a very nice rainbow, and I was fishing below the spill.
And folks, although the trash in the creek and along the banks is terrible, it is also deceiving to someone like me from out of town. Why do you think I only fished it twice in two months?
With this said, DNR really needs to regulate the creek a little more and placing a bunch of catch and release signs wouldn't hurt either.
After seeing what I saw today, I am fishing tomorrow. The Brownies seemed active :)
Jeremy McClellan
Yes, it would not surprise me one bit if there were a state record brownie in there.
Level 1

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#22 Oct 27, 2007
I would use rubber gloves to handle the fish if I were you... The Epa reports said that there was raw sewage and unidentified metals polluting the creek. This is a catch and release only creek, this fish are recomended non edible....Don`t listen to these nuts on here, check with EPA before eating them..From Elkhorn to Welch.
NC Flyfisher wrote:
I live in WNC and fly fish religiously. I have been working in McDowell Co, WV for 2 months and have fished Elkhorn twice. Once 2 months back and today. I have to say that it was an honor each time. By far the best trout stream that I have ever fished.
I only saw one dead fish, a very nice rainbow, and I was fishing below the spill.
And folks, although the trash in the creek and along the banks is terrible, it is also deceiving to someone like me from out of town. Why do you think I only fished it twice in two months?
With this said, DNR really needs to regulate the creek a little more and placing a bunch of catch and release signs wouldn't hurt either.
After seeing what I saw today, I am fishing tomorrow. The Brownies seemed active :)
Jeremy McClellan
Level 1

Location hidden

#23 Oct 27, 2007
Heres some info on the raw sewage...
http://www.canaanvi.org/canaanvi_web/uploaded...

County residents recognize that
clean waters are crucial to the
county’s future, yet only four
municipalities have wastewater
treatment systems. The major
municipalities of Northfork,
Keystone, Kimball, Davy, Anawalt,
and Iaeger have no municipal
treatment system. They are joined
by dozens of smaller communities
that, often owing to their genesis
as coal camps, do not have this
basic service and so continue to
deliver human waste, untreated,
into the county’s streams.
mmullins

United States

#24 Oct 27, 2007
my brother in law use to fish there he called them sh t trout but he has caught some nice big ones shame not edible cause i like brown better than rainbow
Level 1

Location hidden

#25 Oct 28, 2007
You`re an Idiot, getting on here and telling people these lies, why don`t you eat one of them?? Better yet go down to the creek and drink some of the water..
If its not safe to drink the fish are not fit to eat..I bet you crap in your goldfish tank..LOL
You can see turds a foot long floatin in Elkhorn creek..LMAO
Show me the article in field and stream..
moondance wrote:
Actually the ph is perfect in Elkhorn Creek for trout, they are able to reproduce in it's water. The fish are also safe to eat. Elkhorn Creek was listed in Field and Stream as being one of the top 10 trout streams in the country.
Level 1

Location hidden

#26 Oct 28, 2007
http://www.accwt.org/wv/Elkhorn_Creek/index.p...

A major goal of TBAI is to increase local

business opportunities including ecotourism. Record breaking trout live in Elkhorn Creek, but because of the untreated sewage you can't eat the fish. Partnering with the local Wastewater coalition, TBAI found it needed to clean up the Elkhorn Creek. Having conducted a field survey and developed a non traditional sewage treatment plan, only funding is needed for implementation.

United States

#27 Oct 28, 2007
This WV game and Fish article mentions Elkhorn Creek

http://www.wvgameandfish.com/fishing/trout-fi...
Level 1

Location hidden

#28 Oct 28, 2007
They shouln`t have even mentioned it , because it will give people the false impression that they can eat these fish, they also gave the false impression that the DNR stocks this creek, which they don`t. I`ll catch one if you`ll eat it..LOL
_Poopie_ wrote:
This WV game and Fish article mentions Elkhorn Creek
http://www.wvgameandfish.com/fishing/trout-fi...
1 post removed
hot

Northfork, WV

#30 Oct 29, 2007
i heard that if it was not for welch fire dept putting things in the water when they did it wouldgot bad

United States

#31 Oct 29, 2007
hot wrote:
i heard that if it was not for welch fire dept putting things in the water when they did it wouldgot bad
Yes they did put booms in the water to help contain the spill.
hot

Northfork, WV

#32 Oct 29, 2007
welch has a good fire dept and men that know there stuff

United States

#33 Oct 29, 2007
Dufus wrote:
They shouln`t have even mentioned it , because it will give people the false impression that they can eat these fish, they also gave the false impression that the DNR stocks this creek, which they don`t. I`ll catch one if you`ll eat it..LOL
<quoted text>
FISH FRY!!!! I've heard of some.....well people cutting the mud streak out of carp and eating them. Dosen't mean we should all rush out and eat one!!! You name the time and place for the fish fry...fresh out of the Elkhorn Creek and let's see how many people show up! ROFLMAO
Dufus

United States

#34 Oct 29, 2007
Dufuses Recipe for Elkhorn Creek Trout....
As soon as you get the trout home, Gut it and cut the head off and scrape the few scales it has off,cause they get in behind your dentures and hurts like hell.
Next preheat oven to 350 degrees,
Get you a dry Cow turd from the pasture and lay your fresh trout on it and bake for 20 minutes til the flesh can be removed with a fork
Next Throw the Trout away and eat the cow turd...
holler girl wrote:
<quoted text> FISH FRY!!!! I've heard of some.....well people cutting the mud streak out of carp and eating them. Dosen't mean we should all rush out and eat one!!! You name the time and place for the fish fry...fresh out of the Elkhorn Creek and let's see how many people show up! ROFLMAO

United States

#35 Oct 29, 2007
Dufus wrote:
Dufuses Recipe for Elkhorn Creek Trout....
As soon as you get the trout home, Gut it and cut the head off and scrape the few scales it has off,cause they get in behind your dentures and hurts like hell.
Next preheat oven to 350 degrees,
Get you a dry Cow turd from the pasture and lay your fresh trout on it and bake for 20 minutes til the flesh can be removed with a fork
Next Throw the Trout away and eat the cow turd...
<quoted text>
In the words of David Allen Coe..."If that aint country I'll kiss your a$$".
LMBO!!!!
WVu

Shinnston, WV

#36 Dec 1, 2009
NO ONE ABSOLUTELY NO ONE should ever eat a trout of elkhorn creek. WHY? First off they are wild trout that should never be taken from the stream. Which if WV had anything close to a worthwhile DNR OR TU would already be in place. Second, does anyone know that hepatitis can be transfered from human to fish to human? Not to mention the possibility of the fish actually being a carcinogen itself. Come on look at the conditions these fish thrive in? WHy the FUCK WOULD YOU EAT ONE? Great fish, great stream....love em and leave em.
nonfisherman

Princeton, WV

#37 Dec 1, 2009
I don't fish, however, it would be nice to see the creek cleaned up. I love trout and have eaten it from the Elkhorn Creek. The thing is, is that most of the people who live in this county and have sewage running into the creek can't afford to put a septic tank in. And, the creek is actually VERY clean compared to just after the floods. In all honesty, there are much more pressing issues at the moment besides cleaning up some creek. I hate to say it and would love to see it cleaned up, but it is the truth. It's just not going to happen anytime soon unless it specifically receives some kind of private funding.
not

Rupert, WV

#38 Dec 1, 2009
the people can afford septic systems or the state or federal gov can put them in for them, just a way of life that will never go away in this county, shit in the creek, wait for the water to get up and throw your trash in it. needs to be door to door visits, trash receipts, put dye in their toilets, give them a week for the garbage, three months for the septics, go back, nothing done, jail time. Go back again, still the same thing, jail time and cleaning up the creek banks. That is who should be cleaning the creeks. we that have sewer and pay garbage bills should get to watch them.
Elk River Bass Man

Huntington, WV

#39 May 14, 2011
Trout from Elkhorn Creek are safe to eat, as long as you don't use them for Sushi. Cooking kills pathogens. Love to fish the stream , hate the filth, but look around when you are there. So many abandoned homes, equipment, etc. The area reeks of poverty, and there is no disrespect meant. It is the way of "King Coal". To clean up the stream will take a massive effort to money and work. The money will have to come from somewhere else. The fishery happened by accident, enjoy it as such. If you feel the need to be small minded about it and the people who live in coal country just stay away. Williams, Cranberry, Cherry, and Gauley would be perfect for you.
Hobie

Hampstead, NC

#40 May 14, 2011
Why would you people advertize how good the fishing is,i mean do you want to pull up at your favorite hole and people be there? As far as the sewer in the creek it wont do any good to put in a septic tank in the bottom of these hollars it will still leach into the creek. If it wont for the sewer these fish wouldnt be as healthy as they are. Eating the fish from elk horne will eventually make you sick if not from the sewer the household cleaners will. Leave um be the fish have been thriving here long before we came around.
Ima Justice

Princeton, WV

#41 May 16, 2011
The water in Elkhorn Creek is fine. My family has been using it for years. My teenage son has been drinking it since he was a baby and he has the best grades in his 4th grade class!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 16 min COOTERDOG 23,394
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 51 min paganbirdkeeper666 13,406
sylvester owens (Jun '12) 10 hr Owens family member 7
at hempill 15 hr me too 2
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 20 hr single91f 1,983
gas is cheaper 21 hr question 9
4 Word Game (Sep '08) Sun Madison in TN 2,740
Welch Dating
Find my Match

Welch Jobs