diesel spill in elkhorn creek

Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
former_mtview_st udent

Spanishburg, WV

#1 Sep 30, 2007
Hi im a real big fisherman and i fish the elkhorn creek a couple times every week. The small creek hosts some of the largest and healty brown and rainbow trout on the east coast. The last few fishing trips i have took after the diesel spill i have seen dead fish, it didnt kill them all but it did do some damage am i the only person that thinks the dnr or someone should do something about this other than scooping up some dirt where the diesel was spilled. I mean this is one of the best trout streams in america and i think that is worth saving and preserving the banks has trash and waste left from years and years of abuse and i think the dnr should clean it or something i mean if it was clean there is a fortune just setting their i mean thousands of dollars to be made just going to waste if that stream was clean people from all over america would flock here just to fish this stream....post if your concerned about of stream
Poopie

United States

#2 Sep 30, 2007
I agree, alot of people don't even know of the fish that is in there. But I do think something should be done to protect the stream and the fish. Keep in mind that these are not stocked fish, they are reproducing naturally and have a self staining population.
Question

Princeton, WV

#3 Sep 30, 2007
Does the SEWER run into this Elkorn Creek you are talking about ?
Poopie

United States

#4 Sep 30, 2007
Question wrote:
Does the SEWER run into this Elkorn Creek you are talking about ?
Yes, it does in places, and thats one thing that needs to be fixed!
former_mtview_st udent

Spanishburg, WV

#5 Sep 30, 2007
Yea it really does i mean lord its year 2008 invest in a septic tank lord.....i think it should be illegal i really hate it seeing this great strem going to waste
almostdone

Clear Spring, MD

#6 Oct 15, 2007
Elkhorn Creek, Tug Fork, and Dry Fork would all be great fishing streams if they would build some sewer plants and clean them up.

“A horse equals freedom”

Level 2

Since: Jan 07

welch

#7 Oct 15, 2007
Actually the ph is perfect in Elkhorn Creek for trout, they are able to reproduce in it's water. The fish are also safe to eat. Elkhorn Creek was listed in Field and Stream as being one of the top 10 trout streams in the country.
nerf

Johnson City, TN

#8 Oct 15, 2007
moondance wrote:
Actually the ph is perfect in Elkhorn Creek for trout, they are able to reproduce in it's water. The fish are also safe to eat. Elkhorn Creek was listed in Field and Stream as being one of the top 10 trout streams in the country.
Doesn't change the fact that untreated raw human sewage gets dumped into that stream every day. I won't even get started on the garbage. So, save your pitiful and deceptive little attempts at some sort of tourism promtion. Clean up the stream first.
Poopie

United States

#9 Oct 15, 2007
nerf wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't change the fact that untreated raw human sewage gets dumped into that stream every day. I won't even get started on the garbage. So, save your pitiful and deceptive little attempts at some sort of tourism promtion. Clean up the stream first.
No one said anything about tourism. In fact the less people know about it the better in my opinion. And we are not being deceptive, just stating the facts, wither you want to believe them or not.
Nerf

Johnson City, TN

#10 Oct 15, 2007
Poopie wrote:
<quoted text>
No one said anything about tourism. In fact the less people know about it the better in my opinion. And we are not being deceptive, just stating the facts, wither you want to believe them or not.
No one accused you of anything. Moondance's history of trying to be a one-woman Chamber of Commerce is well-known. So, find a conflict where one really exists, rather than attempting to create one.

“A horse equals freedom”

Level 2

welch

#11 Oct 15, 2007
nerf wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking to a person who has worked on doing just that. There is a Wastewater Treatment Coalition in McDowell, of which I was a member, which is attempting to do just what you speak of. However, facts are facts, the ph is perfect, the fish are safe to eat and it was listed as one of the top ten trout streams in the country.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#12 Oct 15, 2007
moondance wrote:
<quoted text>You're talking to a person who has worked on doing just that. There is a Wastewater Treatment Coalition in McDowell, of which I was a member, which is attempting to do just what you speak of. However, facts are facts, the ph is perfect, the fish are safe to eat and it was listed as one of the top ten trout streams in the country.
Yeah, well would you eat one for dinner??????????

“A horse equals freedom”

Level 2

welch

#13 Oct 15, 2007
holler girl wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, well would you eat one for dinner??????????
Ys and I know many people who have and do on a regular basis eat the fish from Elkhorn Creek.
Nerf

Johnson City, TN

#14 Oct 15, 2007
Better get a typhoid shot then. That water is full of toilet paper and the substance that goes with it. Nasty!
Poopie

United States

#15 Oct 15, 2007
holler girl wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah, well would you eat one for dinner??????????
I have ate them, they were just fine.
Poopie

United States

#16 Oct 15, 2007
Nerf wrote:
<quoted text>
No one accused you of anything. Moondance's history of trying to be a one-woman Chamber of Commerce is well-known. So, find a conflict where one really exists, rather than attempting to create one.
No need to get hostile. I am not trying to make any conflicts, just stating the truth as I know it.
MISSY

Winchester, VA

#17 Oct 15, 2007
Poopie wrote:
<quoted text>
I have ate them, they were just fine.
COMING FROM SOMEONE NAMED POOPIE....

“Mean People Suck”

Level 3

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#18 Oct 15, 2007
MISSY wrote:
<quoted text>
ya'll have to admit.... this IS funny!!
Poopie

United States

#19 Oct 15, 2007
MISSY wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, thats me :D
NC Flyfisher

Beckley, WV

#20 Oct 27, 2007
I live in WNC and fly fish religiously. I have been working in McDowell Co, WV for 2 months and have fished Elkhorn twice. Once 2 months back and today. I have to say that it was an honor each time. By far the best trout stream that I have ever fished.
I only saw one dead fish, a very nice rainbow, and I was fishing below the spill.
And folks, although the trash in the creek and along the banks is terrible, it is also deceiving to someone like me from out of town. Why do you think I only fished it twice in two months?

With this said, DNR really needs to regulate the creek a little more and placing a bunch of catch and release signs wouldn't hurt either.

After seeing what I saw today, I am fishing tomorrow. The Brownies seemed active :)

Jeremy McClellan

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 1 hr UTrashy 1,487
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 1 hr River Tam 37,162
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 5 hr luci 6,156
****Donald Trump Slams Obama**** (Jan '11) Thu janeebee 10
Trump: The People's Candidate (Apr '11) Aug 24 Not Earl 18
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) Aug 24 purplelady1040 33,984
Trumps offer to Obama (Oct '12) Aug 22 Weepy 107

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance