Want a career at FCI McDowell? - Don'...

Want a career at FCI McDowell? - Don't bother...

Posted in the Welch Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bopjobs

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Jan 14, 2010
The competition is so stiff you don't have a chance even if you meet the job qualifications.

All the promises of hundreds of jobs that needed to be filled....hype and rumor...

Political connections are what you need....not qualifiactions...

“Judge Thine Own Self First”

Since: Jan 10

Floyd, VA

#2 Jan 14, 2010
bopjobs wrote:
The competition is so stiff you don't have a chance even if you meet the job qualifications.
All the promises of hundreds of jobs that needed to be filled....hype and rumor...
Political connections are what you need....not qualifiactions...
Exactly.

Since: Aug 09

Vermilion, OH

#3 Jan 14, 2010
Doesn't matter who you know if you can't pass the background investigation.
interesting

United States

#4 Jan 14, 2010
What is FCI?

“Judge Thine Own Self First”

Since: Jan 10

Floyd, VA

#5 Jan 14, 2010
WV Chickadee wrote:
Doesn't matter who you know if you can't pass the background investigation.
That doesn't always apply,you can flunk it and still get the job simply because this person knows that person and the other owes them a favor,that is what is called the good ole' boy network.
I really wish I did made that up but,unfortunately,I'm afraid that is true oh how it works sometimes.
Thing of it is that they don't do it that way all of the time and it is difficult to catch them in the act because they keep it to a minimum and are very good at covering up things from time to time because if politics is behind it of which I'm sure it is,there will never be evidence of this but people do know that it goes on but won't say anything because of fear of losing their job as well as having to put up with alot of trouble from people who kisses up to the politicians there.
McDowell-WV

Bluefield, WV

#6 Jan 15, 2010
interesting wrote:
What is FCI?
That's what i'd like to know...What is FCI?
Watcher

Bluefield, WV

#7 Jan 15, 2010
Federal Corretional Insitute....the new prison
former social worker dss

Cedar Bluff, VA

#8 Jan 16, 2010
Prince Daithi wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't always apply,you can flunk it and still get the job simply because this person knows that person and the other owes them a favor,that is what is called the good ole' boy network.
I really wish I did made that up but,unfortunately,I'm afraid that is true oh how it works sometimes.
Thing of it is that they don't do it that way all of the time and it is difficult to catch them in the act because they keep it to a minimum and are very good at covering up things from time to time because if politics is behind it of which I'm sure it is,there will never be evidence of this but people do know that it goes on but won't say anything because of fear of losing their job as well as having to put up with alot of trouble from people who kisses up to the politicians there.
It doesn't apply with the fed's, if you fail the background you are toast. Seen to many walked out to believe otherwise. Yes there is going to be politics, it is everywhere but the fed's have a pretty good check and balance system to manage it. All app's go to texas and are screened there and then a list is given to the prison of best qualified applicants. So it doesn't matter who you are or who you know if your paperwork didn't get past Texas they can't hire you even if they wan't to.
Gotta Know

Hopewell, VA

#9 Jan 16, 2010
Let me repeat from a previous post. This is NOT the state system. If you have experienced and witnessed illegal actions taking place at another institution from another correctional setting.......DON"T DO IT AT THE NEW PRISON!!!! The feds do not play. I have seen too many employees go to prison for dealings with inmates and other things. Again, this is not the place to play. I've read too much on hear about things going on at the Stevens facility. I hope it's not true. But. if it is......WHEN you get caught, not IF, but WHEN, you will be indicted and you will face federal charges. The FEDS DO NOT PLAY!!!!

“Judge Thine Own Self First”

Since: Jan 10

Floyd, VA

#10 Jan 16, 2010
former social worker dss wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't apply with the fed's, if you fail the background you are toast. Seen to many walked out to believe otherwise. Yes there is going to be politics, it is everywhere but the fed's have a pretty good check and balance system to manage it. All app's go to texas and are screened there and then a list is given to the prison of best qualified applicants. So it doesn't matter who you are or who you know if your paperwork didn't get past Texas they can't hire you even if they wan't to.
Don't put too much stock in the feds. system because where there is politics there is a strong possibility of corruption and where there is corruption there will always be things slipping through the cracks.
I know what you are saying and it is a good argument and I also believe you,why is that?
Because I see both sides of it,I see the good side of it and also the down side of it as well.
When you keep yourself afloat and,I'm not saying that you do,you don't have your head buried up someone's backside of seeing,hearing and believing what they only want you to it helps you to keep a good conscious and an open mind.
Even so,you're not always going to be right and you won't understand about some things because you are going to be kept in the dark about some things simply because the corrupt fears that you won't keep quite about things that are going on in secret.
USPBeaumontCSW

United States

#11 Apr 11, 2010
What are you even talking about Prince Daithi? I thought I was going to come to this blog and read some inteligent well articulated reasons for not going to McDowell but it seems you are talking out of your backside and have no real information to offer. I was once told by my Mama that if you "don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all". I suspect you should follow this advice. Well I have given my two cents and I will quit ranting for now. My advice to all who post here is that if you can't speak from actual first hand knowledge then don't.

“HobertC The1Great AwesomeOne ”

Level 9

Since: Apr 08

Welch WV

#12 Apr 12, 2010
Prince Dumb-atihi, you really are stupid in this post....
As it really don't matter of any political hirings.... Cause the locals politicians Ray, Gordon, Judy, Harold, Cecil,Cliff, and don will have little to do with who will get hired and isn't going to affect who is there that much anyways...
It a FEDERAL PRISON meaning it directed by the US Government, thus Congress and Rahall, Byrd, Rockefellor, and Moore-Capito wil be very influencal who comes in there!!!!
Like said above if you don't have actual knowledge don't speak....

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#13 Apr 12, 2010
Quit whining...you didn't get the job because of political reasons...Did you ever stop to think there was someone out there more qualified than you....
julieann137

Potomac, MD

#14 Jul 19, 2010
FCI is for Federal Correctional Institution...
I have to disagree...They are looking for lots of people in the Welch area, but allot of people are intimidated by the hiring process.
Prince Daithi wrote:
<quoted text>
That doesn't always apply,you can flunk it and still get the job simply because this person knows that person and the other owes them a favor,that is what is called the good ole' boy network.
I really wish I did made that up but,unfortunately,I'm afraid that is true oh how it works sometimes.
Thing of it is that they don't do it that way all of the time and it is difficult to catch them in the act because they keep it to a minimum and are very good at covering up things from time to time because if politics is behind it of which I'm sure it is,there will never be evidence of this but people do know that it goes on but won't say anything because of fear of losing their job as well as having to put up with alot of trouble from people who kisses up to the politicians there.
Badlands

Charleston, WV

#15 Jul 19, 2010
julieann137 wrote:
FCI is for Federal Correctional Institution...
I have to disagree...They are looking for lots of people in the Welch area, but allot of people are intimidated by the hiring process.
<quoted text>
Not everyone is intimidated. I spoke to the new warden personally after a meet and greet at the local public library. I told him what my college degree was in and about the 16 years of social work and counseling experience I had. I told him that I was interested in working at the prison as a case manager or counselor. He seemed very excited and said 'We need those-especially qualified locals.' I then proceded to tell him I was turning 38 in August. He then told me about the age requirements. You have to be employed by your 36th or 37th birthday. You see, there are a lot of requirements to work there (background checks, credit checks, HS or College Diploma, Drug-Free, age requirements..etc...) and failing at one of these will disqualify you. How many people in Southern WV can live up totally to these standards especially the ones as unfair as the age requirements? I could pass all the other checks but I guess It is my fault I was born in 1972 instead of 1974-75

Brilliant

Princeton, WV

#16 Jul 19, 2010
Badlands wrote:
<quoted text> Not everyone is intimidated. I spoke to the new warden personally after a meet and greet at the local public library. I told him what my college degree was in and about the 16 years of social work and counseling experience I had. I told him that I was interested in working at the prison as a case manager or counselor. He seemed very excited and said 'We need those-especially qualified locals.' I then proceded to tell him I was turning 38 in August. He then told me about the age requirements. You have to be employed by your 36th or 37th birthday. You see, there are a lot of requirements to work there (background checks, credit checks, HS or College Diploma, Drug-Free, age requirements..etc...) and failing at one of these will disqualify you. How many people in Southern WV can live up totally to these standards especially the ones as unfair as the age requirements? I could pass all the other checks but I guess It is my fault I was born in 1972 instead of 1974-75
I am so with you on this! Just because I was born in 72' there goes my shot at the federal prison. They should of built that dang prison a year or so earlier!!!
happilymarriedmo mmy

Bluefield, WV

#17 Jul 19, 2010
I applied & went thru the interview process. It was long & kinda nerve racking. I haven't heard anything yet, but they were very nice. They try to make you as comfortable as possible. They really check everything about you. I'm glad they did, because I owed money to a Dr. & didn't know it. They were sending the bill to another girl in the area with the same name. But I am glad they did this. I was able to take care of business for the future. Anyway, I think it is going to be tough to get hired on, but worth it if you make the cut. The position I applied for, I have been doing for 11 years.
Dude Bro

Hollywood, FL

#18 Jul 29, 2010
Just put in for a job. Grand Pierre, TX decides who's qualified. They don't always make the right choice. The BOP is just as messed up as any other entity, public or private. There is no "good 'ol boy system anymore.
I'll tell you what you can't make the kind of money anywhere else in that area as you will w/ the BOP.
Good luck, and God's speed!
cgi46

Walker, WV

#19 Jul 29, 2010
I tried to apply too, but they told me I was too old after they saw my application.

It made me angry, but about 6 months afterwards, I got into pharmacy school on a grant.

When I graduate, I'll be making almost $60 an hour (3 times more than those dudes will be making, LOL :)

Now I'm glad I was rejected.
tomi

Jackson, MS

#20 Aug 31, 2010
My wife Is from bluefield and really wants to go back. So I applied. Hope I get it. Scored a 99 out of 100 on the assessment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 1 hr Maverick 808 35,923
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 hr Hickabilly BR549 1,341
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) 4 hr luci 2,224
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 4 hr luci 5,692
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 4 hr -Prince- 33,053
Word assocation (Sep '07) 5 hr luci 17,432
Review: MCNB Bank & Trust Co (Jan '09) Sun wrong 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Welch Mortgages