Australian Piece On McDowell County
Level 2

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#61 Dec 9, 2011
Too much money in drugs. Vicious circle, it is. The gov't knows that the majority of people on drugs are also recipients of some type of gov't assistance. A working person can't get away with drug use for long. The gov't view it as a cancer and it is in alot of ways. If you take away the access to drugs in this country, people that sell drugs resort to more severe crimes, as well as those buying them, the welfare, etc assistance goes up, less peaople die, hence adding more of them to the assistance payroll,Imported drug trafficking would flourish, and the kickback from drug companies to pad the pockets of our elected officials, would go away,(oh No!)The war on drugs is a joke. There is no war. Im all reality it should be easy to stop drug abuse. Start with Drug companies,Doctors, Pharmacists. The gov't won't do it. The overall population that uses illegal, etc. drugs are the ones that the gov't actually want to die, yes, remove from society.......
mcd

Pakistan

#62 Dec 9, 2011
By 1990, the poverty rate in McDowell County had climbed to 37.7%, the highest rate of poverty for any county in West Virginia. By 1990, 50.3% of all children in McDowell County were living in families below the poverty level, up from 31.2% in 1980. Marijuana crops, drug traffic, fraud, arson, and in one spectacular case at the Bank of KeystoneŚmajor white collar crime and embezzlement became factors in the unofficial economy of once proud McDowell. County officials also reported significant increases in the rates of domestic abuse, suicide, and Oxycontin abuse. By 2001, stressed by declining enrollments, more than half of its children living in poverty, and major losses of tax revenue, McDowell County public schools had fallen into physical decay and high rates of academic failure. The West Virginia Department of Education intervened in December, 2001, by taking over the county system, instituting emergency funding and reorganization. The per capita income for the county was $10,174, which is the lowest in the state and the 28th lowest in the country. About 33.80% of families and 37.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 52.50% of those under age 18 and 21.60% of those age 65 or over. The largest private employer in the county is the Walmart at Big Four. McD has 3100 people on SSI almost double what the county with Morgantown has.
mcd

Pakistan

#63 Dec 9, 2011
not sure why everyone there has to take up for the area, I'm from there as well, but the numbers don't lie. It is one of the most unemployed poorest counties in America.... not the state America. It is the 28th poorest county in the U.S. most of the counties poorer than McDowell are areas with large Indian Reservations. It is what it is, and it will never get better until the people living there see that there is a problem.

listen

United States

#64 Dec 9, 2011
One question. When are the good and decent citizens of the county going to stand up and demand change?

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Level 4

Since: Dec 08

Premier, WV

#65 Dec 9, 2011
paganbirdkeeper666 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't see any mention of floods in the video. Of course they were obviously going for sensationalism based on stereotypes and mention of any valid reasons for the area's demise would not fit their agenda.
Do you think it is is too far gone to save ?
Ironically, they videoed me singing a complete song I wrote about the floods but chose not to include any part of it nor mention the floods. Maybe it was my poor singing....:-)

Level 2

Since: Nov 11

Charlottesville, VA

#66 Dec 9, 2011
Resident wrote:
Mr. Fannin has been a Senator for McDowell county its seems like forever. Why hasn't he done something to help McDowell Co. He and his friends don't care to send money up North to build highways, shopping centers, new vocational schools, all he done has made us pay more to go to Charleston. This county needs give our children a place to learn a trade. Not eveybody is cut out to go to college. If we had a vocation school like Mercer County that would teach our children how to be a construction worker, computer programer, electricians,business student like they had in the 60's and 70's. Teach them a trade so they won't get on drugs. Think back to when there was a waiting list just to go to the vocational school. Mr Fannin doesn't care to go to special sessions, go in January on our tax dollar but he can't do a thing to help us, but let someone want to put lights on a bridge and see how high he jumps. We need to replace everyone that has been in office for more than six or seven years with someone else.
we have a vocational school, it is called "McDowell County Career and Technology Center" I graduated from there top of my class in Electrical Technology they also have carpentry, mechanics, welding, computer, cooking, and nursing classes but it seems that everyone that graduates either turns to drugs or moves away and follows a career some where else, if only there were more people that could set a good example for the teenagers that live in the county and encourage them to stay of of drugs and set their mind on success it would start to slowly turn the county around, I know it would be hard without help from the government or the state but even if they were to intervene it would be impossible to make a change in the county unless the adults and teenagers also made a change, when I was growing up in the county I wasn't the greatest person, I wasn't the worst either but I definitely wasn't setting a good example for the kids younger then I was but the pastor from my church helped me realize this and then I began to change and set a good influence and I'm not saying that everyone needs to be a pastor lol I'm just saying that if there was a way to reach out to the children and show them positive things and show them how good their life good be if the lived positively maybe the future generations of McDowell (the children) will start to change the county themselves
Level 2

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#67 Dec 9, 2011
Cathead wrote:
<quoted text>Ironically, they videoed me singing a complete song I wrote about the floods but chose not to include any part of it nor mention the floods. Maybe it was my poor singing....:-)
Cathead, you know, it is just very sad and disturbing to see your hometown and county go downhill and keep going downhill. I really blame the politians and representatives of McDowell Co. for not demanding change/help, whatever it takes. Our families put their heart and souls on the line for many many years, built it up, only to see greed and drugs tear it apart. I support a "take over McDowell County" ta heck with wall street. Enough is enough. The only difference that will be made is if the people rally together and demand BACK what they put into the ENTIRE COUNTRY for decades. Show them here is what we done in the past, OUR COAL and workers built this nation, now we demand some retribution dammit!
LOL

Fraziers Bottom, WV

#68 Dec 9, 2011
<quoted text>
Are you kidding ? You would have no military protection and the illegal aliens would flock in like pigeons and take over to grow their weed and manufacture meth.
Hope you can speak Spanish.
Well, this is pretty much how it is now. We basically have no law inforcement, we have weed growing in every nook and craney in these hollows, meth labs blowing to smitherines on occasion and many more labs that are a well kept secret (NOT). It didn't used to be this way and it is heart breaking to see this county in the shape that it is in now.
no laughing matter

Fraziers Bottom, WV

#69 Dec 9, 2011
listen wrote:
One question. When are the good and decent citizens of the county going to stand up and demand change?
I think we are so tired of being dumped on and screwed over by everyone (including the very ones that are paid to do a job and really don't care) that we don't have the will to fight anymore.
no laughing matter

Fraziers Bottom, WV

#70 Dec 9, 2011
<quoted text>
Someone from McDowell should take pics. of the positives. Get pics of the nicer homes and the businesses that are doing well. Interview some of the honor students and adults who have been successful. Post it on YT as a video response to the Aussie video.
Alan Johnson actually takes beautiful pictures of the County, I think that I have seen some of his work on you tube also.
Joe Btfsplk

High Point, NC

#71 Dec 9, 2011
Sundog512 wrote:
Actually, when I lived there, McDowell was a pretty good place to live. As clean as a coal mining area can be. There were opportunities, miners made a good wage--were all clean living people.
Funny thing was, even back then, the rest of the world still made fun of us. Hell, I even remember the summer that there were federal social workers in there all over Eckman and the surrounding area. A bunch of do-gooders wandering around in wide eyed fascination that there were still impoverished children living in the world.
I haven't been back in the area much since 1969 and I must admit that when I see the pictures now of the towns that were once relatively vibrant, it is a little sad.
No, it's not a little sad. It's very sad.
What happened?
Thats funny, thats the same year they tore Cinder bottom down ain`t it??? and run youglyassedmomma outa town...heh uh heh uh Heh uh..You a nicun there cinderdog....bwaaaaaaahaaaaaha aaaa

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Level 4

Premier, WV

#72 Dec 9, 2011
Name Is Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>Cathead, you know, it is just very sad and disturbing to see your hometown and county go downhill and keep going downhill. I really blame the politians and representatives of McDowell Co. for not demanding change/help, whatever it takes. Our families put their heart and souls on the line for many many years, built it up, only to see greed and drugs tear it apart. I support a "take over McDowell County" ta heck with wall street. Enough is enough. The only difference that will be made is if the people rally together and demand BACK what they put into the ENTIRE COUNTRY for decades. Show them here is what we done in the past, OUR COAL and workers built this nation, now we demand some retribution dammit!
Yes, you'd think as much coal that has left this place we'd be living like kings like they do over where all the oil is in the mid-east. It doesn't add up does it?

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Level 4

Premier, WV

#73 Dec 9, 2011
no laughing matter wrote:
<quoted text>Alan Johnson actually takes beautiful pictures of the County, I think that I have seen some of his work on you tube also.
Thank you much.
Troy

Charlottesville, VA

#74 Dec 9, 2011
I grew up in McDowell county. It was a @#$% then and is a@#$% hole now.
Christmas 2011

Princeton, WV

#75 Dec 9, 2011
CatHead Is the MacDowell County man of the week.

W-V-V-A T.V. Will be over next week to re-quest an interview.

“Right To Die With Dignity ”

Level 9

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#76 Dec 9, 2011
Sundog512 wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/201 1-12-07/west-virginias-bleak-o utlook/3718796
Discuss.
Sundog, thanks for the clip. I am going to show it to Michael. I wonder if this was the Australian Poster that posted in Welch for a short time a few months ago. Your thoughts?

“Right To Die With Dignity ”

Level 9

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#77 Dec 9, 2011
Cathead wrote:
<quoted text>Ironically, they videoed me singing a complete song I wrote about the floods but chose not to include any part of it nor mention the floods. Maybe it was my poor singing....:-)
Do you ever play with the Easter's Bluegrass Gathering at their home coming up real soon?
Wondering

Culloden, WV

#78 Dec 9, 2011
Until the politicians, every one of them, are voted out you will see no difference. I don't care if you vote republican, democrat or independent or whatever. Vote for who you think will do the best job and if they don't do anythinjg positive, keep voting them out until someone who WILL do someting is voted in. Like some have said, this disgrace didn't happen overnight and it won't change over night. You have to start somewhere and somewhere is the voting booth.
Mr Roberts

Princeton, WV

#79 Dec 9, 2011
Wondering wrote:
Until the politicians, every one of them, are voted out you will see no difference. I don't care if you vote republican, democrat or independent or whatever. Vote for who you think will do the best job and if they don't do anythinjg positive, keep voting them out until someone who WILL do someting is voted in. Like some have said, this disgrace didn't happen overnight and it won't change over night. You have to start somewhere and somewhere is the voting booth.
The U-M-W-A is to blame also.
Somewhere In McDowell

Princeton, WV

#80 Dec 9, 2011
listen wrote:
It's to late for that now. I complained for years. I got put down for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 4,936
Word assocation (Sep '07) 3 hr _Zoey_ 17,048
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) Wed Sundog512 35,017
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) Wed purplelady1040 31,116
Kids Care Clinic Wed Mom of 2 1
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) Mon _Zoey_ 2,090
Posting For Points and Props (Dec '11) Feb 5 honeymylove 87
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Welch Mortgages