Welch Daily News???
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Just A Wondering

Sutton, WV

#1 Jul 21, 2008
Does anyone get tired of seeing the pictures of all the Welch people in the paper. There is nothing about anyone other than Welch. At one time, the paper had reporters to go out when something happened in the county. I know that times are hard, but, it takes me about 3 minutes to read the paper. And what makes it even worse, the Industrial News now has the same stories that are in the Welch Paper. I know that they are probably owned by the same people, but, come on Welch news, get out there and do a little reporting for a change, take some pictures of someone other than the ones from Welch. There are other things going on in the county. Even once in while they covered trials, and took pictures of he criminals going to and from the courthouses. At least on a murder case or something that might be interesting. They even use to set in on cases, and reported it in the paper. Now, theres nothing. I saw where one politician was celebrating his birthday at the county fair that it made me nasuated. Good Lord, how many times did u have to use that to fill up space. Be a newspaper again. Something besides what the Jones are doing next........
Junk Food

Princeton, WV

#2 Jul 21, 2008
Just A Wondering wrote:
Does anyone get tired of seeing the pictures of all the Welch people in the paper. There is nothing about anyone other than Welch. At one time, the paper had reporters to go out when something happened in the county. I know that times are hard, but, it takes me about 3 minutes to read the paper. And what makes it even worse, the Industrial News now has the same stories that are in the Welch Paper. I know that they are probably owned by the same people, but, come on Welch news, get out there and do a little reporting for a change, take some pictures of someone other than the ones from Welch. There are other things going on in the county. Even once in while they covered trials, and took pictures of he criminals going to and from the courthouses. At least on a murder case or something that might be interesting. They even use to set in on cases, and reported it in the paper. Now, theres nothing. I saw where one politician was celebrating his birthday at the county fair that it made me nasuated. Good Lord, how many times did u have to use that to fill up space. Be a newspaper again. Something besides what the Jones are doing next........
The Welch Daily News...Where have you been?

It's called "The Welch News" Now...I do agree with you..I buy a paper now and then.The paper is a joke.
Just A Wondering

Sutton, WV

#3 Jul 22, 2008
Junk Food wrote:
<quoted text>The Welch Daily News...Where have you been?
It's called "The Welch News" Now...I do agree with you..I buy a paper now and then.The paper is a joke.
Oh, sorry, my mistake..
Paperless

Bryans Road, MD

#4 Jul 22, 2008
Junk Food wrote:
<quoted text>The Welch Daily News...Where have you been?
They should just change it to the Welch WEEKLY news, as we don't get them but maybe once a week, and then they are for two days, I understand they are having trouble getting carriers, but they raised the price of the paper, to give the extra money to the carriers for gas money! Sure wish someone would give ME some gas money to go to work, but that's never going to happen!!!
Sheila

Clay, WV

#5 Jul 22, 2008
They do have photos of Vickie Chaffins' kindergarten class in there constantly. I'm kinda sick of seeing that, too. You're right, it takes about five minutes to kill to read that paper. The only thing that's really informative is who died.
wv yankee

Bramwell, WV

#6 Jul 22, 2008
you are right about the dying but the family has to pay for that but let one of the wheels in welch stump a toe and it is all over the front page with pictures of them and all the other wheels gathered around them
WN Reader

Northfork, WV

#7 Jul 22, 2008
Just A Wondering wrote:
I totally agree, but you're complaining to the wrong person. You need to contact Greg Spunela, the publisher. The paper only prints 3 times a week. Suggest that he hire some good people. I think Mr. Spunela is the manager, but the owner lives out-of-state.
Shannon Bright

Princeton, WV

#8 Jul 22, 2008
As a former employee of the newspaper, I can relate as to how hard it is to put the paper together. You have a minimal amount of people working there trying to get all the information compiled, typed and set into newspaper print to go to press by a deadline. That really doesn't leave much time for anything else. I think they do an excellent job and should be commended for it and not put down. And as for Vickie Chaffin's kindergarten class, she sends the photos in. If any other teacher wants to send in pictures, I'm sure they would be happy to print them.
frustrated reader

Northfork, WV

#9 Jul 22, 2008
Shannon Bright wrote:
As a former employee of the newspaper, I can relate as to how hard it is to put the paper together. You have a minimal amount of people working there trying to get all the information compiled, typed and set into newspaper print to go to press by a deadline. That really doesn't leave much time for anything else. I think they do an excellent job and should be commended for it and not put down. And as for Vickie Chaffin's kindergarten class, she sends the photos in. If any other teacher wants to send in pictures, I'm sure they would be happy to print them.
How can you say they do an excellent job. They have very little local news. They put stuff on the front page that is not related to local activities and then shove other local news inside in weird spots. It's a local paper, so that makes no sense. The people who work there do a good job, but they need more help. The paper doesn't promote the community like it should, but it still makes a good profit or it wouldn't remain in business. The grammar is terrible. Who in the world is the copy editor? There is no local news about city government.There's just hardly any news at all. Please tell me what happened to the quality of the paper. It hasn't been the same since Mr. Taylor left town.
Shannon Bright

Princeton, WV

#10 Jul 22, 2008
If you don't like it, don't read it. I commend the employees and think they do a tremendous job. As I said, I know what they go through to get that paper out.
Junk Food

Princeton, WV

#11 Jul 22, 2008
Shannon Bright wrote:
If you don't like it, don't read it. I commend the employees and think they do a tremendous job. As I said, I know what they go through to get that paper out.
The problem with the paper is the owner or owners.
Candy Ass Hater

Bryans Road, MD

#12 Jul 22, 2008
Junk Food if you are so disappointed with the paper...Why don't you volunteer some of your time and become a reporter since you know so damn much about McDowell County...
Junk Food

Princeton, WV

#13 Jul 22, 2008
Candy Ass Hater wrote:
Junk Food if you are so disappointed with the paper...Why don't you volunteer some of your time and become a reporter since you know so damn much about McDowell County...
NO Thanks...The Welch News will be sold or will go out of business soon..

Thank God For the Bluefield Daily Telegraph...More news about McDowell County In the Bluefield paper anyway..
Jus t Me

Newton, WV

#14 Jul 23, 2008
wv yankee wrote:
you are right about the dying but the family has to pay for that but let one of the wheels in welch stump a toe and it is all over the front page with pictures of them and all the other wheels gathered around them
by the time we get the paper they have all ready buried the person that died .
Just A Wondering

Sutton, WV

#15 Jul 23, 2008
I think the owner of the paper is really the one to blame I guess the workers just do what they have to do, but, I still get so tired of seeing the McBrides faces on there, plus the others. I cant think of the others names right now. But, they really use to have a good newspaper when Rolo Taylor was there..Sid Bell was a reporter there at the time and did a teriffic job. Until he went to law school. Nice guy. I still take the paper and really dont know how anyone that delivers it can make anything, because of the gas prices right now.
try my spot

United States

#16 Jul 23, 2008
try living out of town and getting it.i use to and i still miss it alot.but the cost is too much for no more news thats in it and at times its a week before i get one and then i would get 3 or 5 at a time.they will never print it online because they will lose most of their customers who take a paper at their homes.and it will cost them money.
lil town lil paper

Clay, WV

#17 Jul 24, 2008
Shannon your days at the newspaper wasnt good either. We all knew everything about your kids and small world day care.blah blah The paper isnt the greatest around but you get what you pay for the newspaper office isnt gonna have top dollar reporters they cant afford it.Ill take my paper just to support the ones that are working there and yes i do agree it could be a better paper. We can all agree things arent the way they use to be anywhere. Lets hang on to what we do have.....Maybe Mr. Spinella will see these post and take into consideration that his paper needs more local news and i myself miss the sports with pics to go with it.
Level 3

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#18 Jul 24, 2008
I did not even get my paper yesterday. What happen? Was there a paper yesterday?
Synthetic Negro

Princeton, WV

#19 Jul 24, 2008
It is a shame that the owner doesn't try to build the paper up. As has been said before, this newspaper depends on community input for most of its news items. They have no field reporters. It could be much better if the joker that owns it would put some effort into it.
Reader

Oakvale, WV

#20 Jul 24, 2008
The Welch News prints what is sent in to them (ie. press releases, event announcements). They don't have a reporter to go out in the field and investigate.. for what reason I do not know. But I imagine it costs quite a bit to put a paper together, and it really is inexpensive to buy. It would be great if more people in the community would submit articles, that way we could be informed about all areas of the county. But, IMHO, they are doing pretty well for what they have to work with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 4 min Sharlene45 31,171
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 1 hr I KNOW 4,253
Word assocation (Sep '07) 1 hr Intrepid Surfer 16,698
Create your own Forum 2 hr sad Company 787
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 2 hr Concerned_American 4,484
Tammy Warner (Oct '08) 6 hr wvone 18
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) Wed TRYING_3 12,670
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Welch Mortgages