tree's blocking elkhorn creek & tu...

tree's blocking elkhorn creek & tug fork

Posted in the Welch Forum

LOOK OUT

Princeton, WV

#1 Dec 16, 2007
Have you noticed all the tree's that have fallen and blocking Elkhorn Creek from Switchback all the way to Welch , there are at least 15 blocking the stream, who is responsible for cleaning these trees out of the creek before we start getting the high water of spring time. And if you check Tug Fork it is about the same.
Pearson

Johnson City, TN

#2 Dec 16, 2007
Leave them alone. There has to be a place for the toilet paper to hang.
davydude

Bluefield, WV

#3 Dec 16, 2007
LOOK OUT wrote:
Have you noticed all the tree's that have fallen and blocking Elkhorn Creek from Switchback all the way to Welch , there are at least 15 blocking the stream, who is responsible for cleaning these trees out of the creek before we start getting the high water of spring time. And if you check Tug Fork it is about the same.
hell if they are bothering you why dont you clear them out instead of whos responcible for doing it
Problem

Bluefield, WV

#4 Dec 17, 2007
Yes the trees are a problem. When they wash feel with high waters they will form a dam down stream maybe against a bridge and cause the whole bridge to wash away. Simply solution get a wench truck or wrecker to pull them out, cut them up into small pieces that can be easily handled, pile them up one the side of the road in an area easy to park a truck near and let whomever wants it, take it for fire wood for themselves or sell it to others that can not go get it on their own.
Former McDowell Resident

Greenbush, MN

#5 Dec 17, 2007
Up here, we call that fish habitat.
Problem

Bluefield, WV

#6 Dec 17, 2007
Former McDowell Resident wrote:
Up here, we call that fish habitat.
I know, some years ago following the flood some officials were going to get the creek cleaned out, and that is what they were told. Also that they might hurt the fish.

As a youngster I remember when they used to bring in big bull dozers and scoop out the creeks on a regular basis. Back then we had very few floods and nothing like the two we had a few years ago.

After all it was only by accident that they found out that Elkhorn Creek would re-produce Trout, and now they are catching record trout. I still think they could clean it out and produce even more fish and more fishermen to come and fish.

Since: Aug 07

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#7 Dec 17, 2007
The trees may pose a problem come springtime. I think the bigger problem is clearing the raw sewage out of the Elkhorn creek!
Former McDowell Resident

Greenbush, MN

#8 Dec 17, 2007
Problem wrote:
<quoted text>I know, some years ago following the flood some officials were going to get the creek cleaned out, and that is what they were told. Also that they might hurt the fish.
As a youngster I remember when they used to bring in big bull dozers and scoop out the creeks on a regular basis. Back then we had very few floods and nothing like the two we had a few years ago.
After all it was only by accident that they found out that Elkhorn Creek would re-produce Trout, and now they are catching record trout. I still think they could clean it out and produce even more fish and more fishermen to come and fish.
If I remember correctly, trout need deep pools, shade and riffles for them to survive. I think Holler Gal had it right.
davydude

Bluefield, WV

#9 Dec 17, 2007
well from some of what ive seen with my own eyes of trees brush what ever you want to call it is beaver dams an me i dont think it would be right to tear them down after the lil fellers work so hard to build
Former McDowell Resident

Greenbush, MN

#10 Dec 18, 2007
davydude wrote:
well from some of what ive seen with my own eyes of trees brush what ever you want to call it is beaver dams an me i dont think it would be right to tear them down after the lil fellers work so hard to build
No need to tear the dams down. To prevent their getting too large and flooding nearby areas, you need to use a device our DNR uses which lets water through the dam and the beavers can't figure out how to stop the outflow.
LOOK OUT

Princeton, WV

#11 Dec 18, 2007
davydude wrote:
<quoted text>hell if they are bothering you why dont you clear them out instead of whos responcible for doing it
THE TREES DO BOTHER ME OR SHOULD I SAY WORRY ME BECAUSE OF FLOODING AND IF IT WAS JUST ONE OR TWO TREES I WOULD TRY AND GET THEM OUT BY MYSELF BUT IT'S MORE THAN ONE MAN CAN HANDLE UNLESS YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME UP AND HELP, BUT YOU SEEM TO BE THE TYPE WHO WOULD RATHER SET BACK AND TRY TO SAY SOMETHING ARROGANT ABOUT SOMEONE WITH A GENUINE CONCERN ABOUT FLOODING PROBLEMS. ITS TRUE WHAT THEY SAY PEOPLE WITH SIMPLE MINDS MAKE SIMPLE COMMENTS. AND FOR OTHERS I AGREE THE SEWAGE IS A PROBLEM BUT WITH ANY LUCK IT WANT CAUSE THE STREAMS TO BACK UP AND CAUSE FLOODING ,IF IT DOES WE WILL HAVE BIG PROBLEMS. Sorry just realized my caps lock was on.
Former McDowell Resident

Greenbush, MN

#12 Dec 18, 2007
LOOK OUT wrote:
<quoted text>
THE TREES DO BOTHER ME OR SHOULD I SAY WORRY ME BECAUSE OF FLOODING AND IF IT WAS JUST ONE OR TWO TREES I WOULD TRY AND GET THEM OUT BY MYSELF BUT IT'S MORE THAN ONE MAN CAN HANDLE UNLESS YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME UP AND HELP, BUT YOU SEEM TO BE THE TYPE WHO WOULD RATHER SET BACK AND TRY TO SAY SOMETHING ARROGANT ABOUT SOMEONE WITH A GENUINE CONCERN ABOUT FLOODING PROBLEMS. ITS TRUE WHAT THEY SAY PEOPLE WITH SIMPLE MINDS MAKE SIMPLE COMMENTS. AND FOR OTHERS I AGREE THE SEWAGE IS A PROBLEM BUT WITH ANY LUCK IT WANT CAUSE THE STREAMS TO BACK UP AND CAUSE FLOODING ,IF IT DOES WE WILL HAVE BIG PROBLEMS. Sorry just realized my caps lock was on.
Need to get someone who burns wood for heat to get them. That way, it would serve 2 purposes.
davydude

Bluefield, WV

#13 Dec 18, 2007
LOOK OUT wrote:
<quoted text>
well now i cant argue you on that im as simple an plain as they come an i didnt mean to sound arrogant an as far as helping a person out ive got no prob. with that either if i can maybe leave away to contact ya we see what we can figure out but ive seen in lot of cases a lil high water can solve the prob. for ya but to much can hurt ya
I fish paint creek

Charleston, WV

#14 Apr 13, 2012
I was wondering if somebody can give me some advice/info on where the better places are on this creek to fish. I'm planing a trip to elkhorn cr at the end of the month.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Welch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 53 min A Team Porkers 41,251
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 1 hr Eternal truth 40,059
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) Sat Princess Hey 7,034
This great country of ours needs help! Fri Eternal truth 11
Where are the good hard workin single ladies Fri Dee 5
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) Jul 19 Princess Hey 2,679
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) Jul 18 Eternal truth 39,665

Welch Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance