Gilbert, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

here it is wrote:
Cliffs are calling 75 back today mainly for underground.
I have a family member who has been there over 30 years, if they would have called back 75 yesterday he would have been called. As far as I know he hasn't. Alot of people post stuff and then it's not true.
Too Tired To Care

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

If you think that you should have been called back and haven't received a phone call, please be certain to check your caller ID. It will come up as West Virginia and will begin with 256.
here it is

Welch, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

bystander wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a family member who has been there over 30 years, if they would have called back 75 yesterday he would have been called. As far as I know he hasn't. Alot of people post stuff and then it's not true.
I'm sorry maybe I should explain further,if the person you are talking about has been there that many years then he knows the deal,Cliffs had a series of layoffs for a certain reason.Some got let go with more time than the ones they kept.It was all to do with who they need and who knows how to do everything,and before you start with the senority stuff,let me explain this to you.They are trying to clean up the coal that is on the ground for now.Maybe there will be work later,but I doubt it.Unless the order comes through by October.I know some with 31 plus years that got laid off,which is related to me and they tried to call him back underground,which is not what he paneled for,so he told them no way.so do not get on here and say people do not know what they are talking about.
yeah

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

most called back was by classification not by the years worked. longwall and longwall mechanics.
crossed fingers

Northfork, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

if he has been there that long....what did he put on his panel when he got laid off....they can call back by senority of classification...that is written right in the contract book!!!!! i know they have called some mechanics....heard that it is all of them...we are waiting till tomorrow to see if we got a certified letter from them.....keeping my fingers crossed

Since: Oct 08

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

Pinnacle Calls 100 Miners Back to Work
Posted Friday, July 31, 2009 ; 08:09 AM | View Comments | Post Comment
Updated Friday, July 31, 2009 ; 08:50 AM

Miners will be back on the job in early August.

PINEVILLE -- Pinacle Mining is calling 100 employees back to work at its Pinnacle and Greenridge Number 1 mines in Wyoming County.
The miners are expected to return to work in early August.

Company officials say the call back was prompted by an improvement in current orders and in the market expectations going forward. Both mines had been idled.

The Pinnacle and Green Ridge No. 1 mines are located near Pineville, WV, and produce metallurgical coal for the steel industry. Metallurgical coal demand has been reduced as the steel industry has cut back production in the face of the global economic slowdown.

Pinnacle Mining is a subsidiary of Cliffs Natural Resources, Inc.

Since: Oct 08

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

I am glad to hear this, but there is still over 200 laid off......i hope that soon they call back all of them
huh

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

yeah and i was at about 240 or something, still waiting....
Lucy Mae

Welch, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

huh wrote:
yeah and i was at about 240 or something, still waiting....
You guys are probably tired of my saying this, but please keep your faith. Things will turn around and get better we just have to ride this out.
waitin 2

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

Judged:

The physical this time around is alittle more advanced i heard, one guy went and they are doing hair follicle drug testing now. That should keep a few from gettin back down there. Yall know the ones im talkin about,thats got away with crap for yrs. if you ask me i think its a good change.should make things some safer, they cant hide it now.
why

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

I dont understand why some people get on here, and "pretend" to know this or that. You tell something, and you get others worried, or you tell something, to get their hopes up, only to be let down. The only ones who really know whats going on over there right now, are the big wigs from Cleveland Cliffs, and the bosses know where the company is headed. Everyone else is just one step from clueless. When are you going to stop spreading rumors? Just because you hear this or that, doesnt mean its true or going to happen. Cleveland Cliffs knows what they are doing. And they arent going to do anything, without making a proffit. I do feel sorry for some. But the older men, was offered a great deal. Some of the good workers they had, are waiting on a call back, others have went else where. The young punks, that was to lazy to really work, wont be missed. See ya!
his wifey

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2009

Judged:

waitin 2 wrote:
The physical this time around is alittle more advanced i heard, one guy went and they are doing hair follicle drug testing now. That should keep a few from gettin back down there. Yall know the ones im talkin about,thats got away with crap for yrs. if you ask me i think its a good change.should make things some safer, they cant hide it now.
My husband was called back and he went for his physical yesterday in Beckley, and yes they are doing more advanced this time. He had to give them a hair sample that was cotton ball size. The way I see it is if they are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing then I certianly don't want them in or around where my husband is working,the mines is a dangerous enough place to work as it is, I don't know how far that kind of test goe's back but if it makes it safer then I'm glad they are doing it.
bulldog

Crawley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2009

his wifey wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband was called back and he went for his physical yesterday in Beckley, and yes they are doing more advanced this time. He had to give them a hair sample that was cotton ball size. The way I see it is if they are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing then I certianly don't want them in or around where my husband is working,the mines is a dangerous enough place to work as it is, I don't know how far that kind of test goe's back but if it makes it safer then I'm glad they are doing it.
They do the hair follicle test where I work,so I will tell you what I know.They can go back 30 days
for every half inch of hair.As far as I know there
is no way to beat the test.You're right,no one needs to be on drugs endangering everybody else.
bulldog

Crawley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2009

Good news.The Bluefield Daily Telegraph website
has a story that says 100 miners are being called
back to Pinnacle Ridge.You can go to the website and read the story which was released Friday.
still waiting

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

got good news, but still just a rumor from the mine, i have heard that 100 more will be called back by next month and by october the mine will be back in full force, but not quite as many as we had before, they want to have the plow moved and running by october, green ridge will be supplying a current coal order, and another order of 77000 tons has been made, now where will the plow go??????? need miner sections running some serious footage if we want to keep this place going.....
Lucy Mae

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Judged:

They are in the process of taking the longwall apart and moving it. You are right. Where will it go too? They have to have someplace to set it back up and get it to running. They hope to have it running ASAP. Just keep the faith people, things will get better. Remember faith and prayer goes a long, long way.
CNR

Rupert, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Judged:

still waiting wrote:
got good news, but still just a rumor from the mine, i have heard that 100 more will be called back by next month and by october the mine will be back in full force, but not quite as many as we had before, they want to have the plow moved and running by october, green ridge will be supplying a current coal order, and another order of 77000 tons has been made, now where will the plow go??????? need miner sections running some serious footage if we want to keep this place going.....
77,000 tons is only seven 100 car trains. Nothing to get excited about.
Work while its open

Welch, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Judged:

Don't look for them to be open very much longer,(maybe 9 months or so),they are cleaning up the place to shut it down.The reason for calling guys back(they are trying to call back 100), is that they want to mine coal while they finish up what they have to do to get right with the laws.Oh, by the way the new longwall is not coming.They have lost most of their workforce,with guys retiring,and others working somewhere else,and then those are those that can't pass the drug test.So,I say get the work while it is available.I hope these guys that need their pension hours can get them in before then.
SUGAR LIPS

Welch, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Judged:

Work while its open wrote:
Don't look for them to be open very much longer,(maybe 9 months or so),they are cleaning up the place to shut it down.The reason for calling guys back(they are trying to call back 100), is that they want to mine coal while they finish up what they have to do to get right with the laws.Oh, by the way the new longwall is not coming.They have lost most of their workforce,with guys retiring,and others working somewhere else,and then those are those that can't pass the drug test.So,I say get the work while it is available.I hope these guys that need their pension hours can get them in before then.
Well, well, well! Who got up and crapped in your cheerios this morning and made you be such a sweet piece of sunshine to be around? Go have a cup of coffee with about a pound of sugar in it and see if that helps you to stop being so negative.
June

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Judged:

Even if "Work while it's open" is correct, 9 months would probably be welcomed by most employees! It would give them time to make more money, keep sending in resume's, and also to pay into unemployment so they would be eligible again IF the mines does shut down.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of75
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Welch Forum right now

Search the Welch Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
cooterdog's hang out (Aug '12) 20 min COOTERDOG 19,607
People who've been married multiple times.... (Apr '07) 24 min COOTERDOG 135
No court date set as Moore remains free on bond 41 min Hates Welch 9
jualanjerseybola 1 hr ZakaMede1 1
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 1 hr -Lea- 9,985
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 1 hr bill hill 43,256
WV 2 dead in explosion at W.Va. chemical plant (Dec '10) 9 hr REINCARNATED jimmy love 3,896
•••
•••
•••
•••

Welch Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Welch People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance