EDUCATION, DISCIPLINE: Forum on minor...

EDUCATION, DISCIPLINE: Forum on minority students

There are 6 comments on the Charlotte.com story from Mar 16, 2008, titled EDUCATION, DISCIPLINE: Forum on minority students. In it, Charlotte.com reports that:

“It's a societal, systemic problem we all need to look at.”

Superintendent Ed Davis and school board members will meet this week with groups that serve the African American community to talk about how minority students are faring in Union County schools.

Members of the local NAACP, A Few Good Men and four more groups sent Davis questions and concerns for the 7 p.m. Thursday forum at the Bazemore Center in Monroe. The public is invited.

Among their worries: how a disproportionate number of African American students get suspended from school.

African Americans last year accounted for less than 15 percent of Union County schools' student population, but more than 40 percent of short-term suspensions. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charlotte.com.

Ann

Erie, PA

#1 Apr 9, 2008
This issue was discussed a few years ago. The school distrct has had time to look into this and correct. I don't live there but have family in the area. The schools have strict policies for conduct, which is okay, if they don't go overboard with them. Maybe these children have other issues, (academic problems or personal issues). Each school has staff to address these problems, maybe they should try to identify if a child has a problem before suspension is given
Wilder

AOL

#3 Apr 9, 2008
African combination of low IQ and high testosterone, it just won't work.

Since: Oct 07

Charlotte, NC

#4 Apr 9, 2008
Ann wrote:
This issue was discussed a few years ago. The school distrct has had time to look into this and correct. I don't live there but have family in the area. The schools have strict policies for conduct, which is okay, if they don't go overboard with them. Maybe these children have other issues,(academic problems or personal issues). Each school has staff to address these problems, maybe they should try to identify if a child has a problem before suspension is given
Just what do you define as "this problem". Is there any evidence that these suspensions are being done on the basis of race as opposed to merit. If not, then the problem is more likely at the home of those getting suspended, than at the school. The same groups who cry racism on a regular basis are the ones who tie the hands of school officials by not allowing them to administer any type of discipline in the schools. So without discipline at home, which includes a father being an active part in the lives of the children, you can expect a lack of discipline when they interact in society. This is true regardless of what color a person's skin is. It just happens to be a statistical fact in today's world that far more blacks don't have a father positively influencing their lives. Find a way to correct this and you'll see a domino effect correcting or a lot of the problems we see in society today.
Marshville

Locust, NC

#5 Apr 9, 2008
The reason the African Americans are being suspended more is because they create more problems.......I mean how complicated is that? The white kids know how to act.
I wonder why

United States

#7 Jun 22, 2008
I wonder why it is so difficult for us to comprehend that, if a child has parents who do not model appropriate behavior, the child is not going to learn appropriate behavior. We have known for years that a child's personality is pretty well formed by the time the child starts school, yet we continue to try to blame the schools for the problem.
co co brown

Thiensville, WI

#8 Jun 22, 2008

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weddington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indian Trail Music Selection (Aug '12) Mar 23 Musikologist 15
News New plan would add rail to airport, Lake Norman... Feb '17 Mark mark 1
PE teacher investigation Feb '17 Concerned 1
Lisa Thornton .... former owner Sweet Repeats (Feb '15) Jan '17 Helpingyouout 18
Hit and Run Jan '17 nala20168 1
Chuck S. Stallings pollice officer Dec '16 Ben 2
News a Gap in N.C. Law Let Frank Davidson Drive with... (Aug '07) Dec '16 Nate 136

Weddington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Weddington Mortgages