Weddington Town Council Race 2009

Weddington Town Council Race 2009

Posted in the Weddington Forum

Since: Oct 09

Charlotte, NC

#1 Oct 28, 2009
Weddington Mayor - My perspective

Barbara Harrison - she has my vote. I worked with her closely through Friends of Weddington. She's not a large land owner. She is a retired executive from Johnson and Johnson and she truly cares about her community. She is the best choice of all the candidates. I think she'll do an excellent job for our charming town.

Walker Davidson is not going to get my vote. I had never even heard of this man until he decided to run for Mayor of our beautiful town. I've never seen him at any town coucil meetings and he had zero involvement in fighting for or against private sewer plants in Weddington. Where has he been on issues that our dear community has been facing over the years? Who is this man really? He doesn't reveal much about himself and I'm guessing he's half heartedly in this race. Why even bother? Ken Evans was running for Mayor and dropped out and then came along Walker Davidson to fill his place. Ken Evans previously announced he was running for Mayor and when he realized he didn't have any support, instead of supporting one of his friends who he worked with on Friends of Weddington, he announced his support Walker Davidson.

Hughie Sexton, a long time Weddington resident, he has done nothing really over the years except cause controversy and has shown that he can't be trusted in politics. He has a record all right, but not one that impresses me. Having worked some beside Mr. Sexton on the private sewer plant issue before he quit Friends of Weddington, I was able to discern what type of man Hughie Sexton is. He can't be trusted, he's all about himself, he showed up to the Friends of Weddington meetings in hopes of getting political support.. the list goes on and on. Sexton QUIT friends of Weddington because he was upset over our attorney the group chose and that we didn't pick the one he wanted. His childish behavior caused much tension within the group. Friends of Weddington battled hard against this issue and won, no thanks to Hughie Sexton.

Mayor Nancy Anderson - without going into a lot of detail, it's time for Mayor Nancy Anderson to end her term in office. Too many questions have come up about her conflicts of interest with her being a large land owner in Weddington, NC. She supports cutting through Rea Road Extension through the middle of our sleepy community and has pushed hard to get this road moved back up as a priority road in North Carolina. What stands out the most to me is when Weddington town council had their retreat in Pinehurst, NC last year. Nice little get away during the worst economic times on record. Also convenient that most Weddington residents would not be able to attend the meeting where she had the power to influence the council on issues, out of ear shot. She handed them an educational packed on private wastewater treatment plants and how "green" they are and good for the environment. This was right before she would announce that there could be no communication among members or the community on this issue since there would be a quasi-judicial hearing on the issue. She will tell everyone today that she was against private sewer treatment plants, but that is after she got caught and the community turned against her. Her involvement on Rea Road, her involvement in pushing to get The Woods developers a sweet deal, as well her being a large landowner in Weddington whose every move makes people question what she is getting out of it sums up that Nancy is really all about Nancy. She has a lot to gain but at what expense to Weddington? I will admit on paper having a strawberry farm and being retired U.S. Airforce looks impressive until you put things under a microscope.

Since: Oct 09

Charlotte, NC

#2 Oct 28, 2009
Town Council positions

L.A. Smith vs. Werner Thomisser

I'm asking everyone to re-elect L.A. Smith for town council. She has done an excellent job, is always up on the issues that our community is facing, and has proven herself to be very professional while in her seat as a town council member. I've attended many town council meetings as well as being involved in the fight against private sewer plants in Weddington, and time and time again I see L.A. Smith asking the tough and important questions while keeping Weddington residents interest at heart.

Werner Thomisser who is running against L.A. Smith is someone who I have worked beside of for a period of time. Being a core group member of Friends of Weddington a I had the "opportunity" to work closely with Werner Thomisser during his short stay in our group. Mr. Thomisser and Hughie Sexton (mayor candidate) both quit the group because they could not get their way on the group's attorney pick. I found Mr. Thomisser and Mr. Sexton to be very unprofessional and childish in his behavior with group members. Mr. Thomisser caused the group much unneeded stress when he got upset that the group didn't pick the attorney he wanted. After he left the harrassment to Friends of Weddington group members continued but in the end Friends of Weddington won their battle against private sewer plants.
Mr. Thomisser does not "play well with others", is quick to get angry and see things "his way".

Gregg Wyant and Daniel Barry are also running for the same town council seat. I am giving Gregg Wyant my vote. Daniel Barry is endorsed former town coucil member Tommy Price. Both Barry and Price share the same views, which I do not.

I want Weddington to maintain its rural charm but I am open to the idea of adding onto the downtown core that we already have with a couple of nice restaurants, some green space with a planned outdoor ampitheater for community gatherings and where our kids could play. I think a small plan to improve our downtown core could set us apart from the "strip mall" towns that are surrounding us. Mr. Barry's whole campaign is that he is against commerical and an improved downtown core. I believe in limiting commerical development but am keeping an open mind on improving what we do have and giving us some more choices in gathering as a community.
Tammy

Waxhaw, NC

#3 Oct 28, 2009
I am with you! I support Barbara and know she will be a great Mayor!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weddington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mineral Springs challenger cancels debate (Oct '09) Aug 24 chuck 10
News Sex offender caught in foot chase Aug 22 Storm 1
Lisa Thornton .... former owner Sweet Repeats (Feb '15) Aug 18 Helpingyouout 6
Review: Venture Pest Control Of Charlotte (Jun '12) Aug 11 JBV 22
News Source: Body found dismembered in woods near St... Jul 31 vam 2
travis veit (Feb '12) Jul '15 van 4
News Roommate charged in Hedgesville homicide Jul '15 ataloss 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Weddington Mortgages