Decision not to seek teen's body igni...

Decision not to seek teen's body ignites anger, agony

There are 12 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Mar 22, 2007, titled Decision not to seek teen's body ignites anger, agony. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

Faced with the "virtually impossible" task of excavating 40,000 tons of landfill waste to find Tynesha Stewart's body, Harris County sheriff's officials made the agonizing decision Thursday night that the odds ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

ruth franklin

Grapevine, TX

#1 Mar 23, 2007
find this young lady for her family sake. houston has the resources.

if she was white you would look until you found her remains.

harris county sheriff's officials are only looking at the money and how much harris county would have to pay out in labor. if it was one of the children they would look until their remains are found.

public please pray for tynesha stewart and her family.

thank you,
houston dude

Port Neches, TX

#2 Mar 23, 2007
If you read the article carefully though...you'll see that only once has this method ever worked..and that was in Utah..now imagine how much larger Houston landfills are than ones in Utah...it would be very unlikely that they'd find her. We're talkin' 40,000 tons of trash here. Can you imagine sifting carefully through so much trash? Plus what if the suspect is lying? Did he really even put her parts in garbage bags or did he dump her somewhere else?
Kaitlin

Ravenna, OH

#3 Apr 26, 2007
You would think that they could specifically ask him what area of the landfill he was in and only (at least) search that small area. I'm sure her family would like to give her a proper burial, instead of her laying in a heap of garbage. geez !!
Brazoria

Angleton, TX

#5 May 29, 2007
Houston officials have done an about face and reversed their initial decision not to search the landfill/landfills for missing Tynesha Stewart.

Authorities in Houston have approved spending up to $500,000 to search area landfills for the remains of a Texas A&M student whose ex-boyfriend confessed to killing her.

The request comes after angry complaints about the decision not to search for the remains of 19-year-old Tynesha Stewart, who disappeared last week.

Officials reversed their initial decisions to not search the landfills due to cost and improbable outcome of not finding her due to pressure and complaints brought up by black local leaders and activists. Personally, the Houston officials were crazy for not going forth with this search from the outset causing racial unrest especially when volunteer search team Texas EquuSearch had stated they would conduct the search at no cost.

Investigators reconsidered after several high-profile complaints from US Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, state Representative Sylvester Turner and community activist Quannel X.(KWTX)

However, the plans go forward to begin the search for Tynesha Stewart as soon as possibly Wednesday.

Plans are underway to conduct a series of searches for Tynesha Stewart, the Texas A&M coed believed to have been killed by her ex-boyfriend. However, those searches may be difficult after word that the 19-year-old’s body may have been dismembered and spread out in landfills across the region.

The volunteer search organization Texas Equusearch announced Friday it was set to launch an extensive search for Stewart. The search could begin as early as Wednesday said Texas Equusearch founder Tim Miller.

On Monday the sheriff’s office, Texas Equusearch and the landfills’ operator Waste Management will meet to go over a plan. Already an area of a landfill in Atascocita had been marked off in preparation for a search. The same was being done at a landfill in Brazoria County. Miller already put out a call for volunteers.(KHOU)
Curious upset Father

Angleton, TX

#6 May 29, 2007
I very recently read where there were some potential matches of one or more of the young girls from the League City Killings Fields, I cannot find it now and am told that the post was removed. Being a father of........ I am very upset that this was removed, why? It can only make one wonder as to the why. An identification of anyone anywhere under these curcumstances is of utmost importance to a family not to mention the police. I went back to find the post to see if I could in some way help as I have some means by which to do so and to learn that it was pulled...there is no word to describe this type censorship and while this is an intenet forum, the thwarting and obstruction of justice committed by whoever pulled that article is outrageous and gold plated apathy.
Kaitlin

Ravenna, OH

#7 Jun 8, 2007
Hey Curious father, Shoot me an email and I'll fill you in. I'm the one who posted about the potential match. I don't know why it was removed either,

[email protected]
Virginia man and father

Hitchcock, TX

#8 Aug 24, 2007
Wow, I thought I had moved out of Klan land when I moved to League City. L I B Bubba theres a blackun missin an they wunt us ta find her. Maybe we can get all the illegal immigrants to help out find this poor child. It makes you think how and what I would do in the same situation. Very sad situation.
WAKE UP CALL

Houston, TX

#9 Oct 10, 2007
blah blah blah why do u have to bring up the color of your skin every time u don't get your way?
WAKE UP CALL

Houston, TX

#10 Oct 10, 2007
Gettin old, real old
WAKE UP CALL

Houston, TX

#11 Oct 10, 2007
Why do u have to bring up the color of your skin every time u don't get your way?
rebel25

Houston, TX

#13 Sep 25, 2009
find this young lady for her family sake. houston has the resources. if she was white you would look until you found her remains. harris county sheriff's officials are only looking at the mo...— ruth franklin
In response to your comment, you are just showing your ignorance... Can you not think of anything to say without racism??? Well, let me add, you probably are typing this on a computer that taxpayers paid for, while your laying at home drawing money that you only get becouse you are black!
ironic

Houston, TX

#15 Jan 9, 2015
Didn't he barbecue her on his back porch?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Webster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: I Love Kickboxing 8 hr ChristinaP 7
Review: Heidi's Hair Salon (Mar '14) Jul '16 zoe 2
i love kickboxing League City Jul '16 Anonymous 3
Review: Law Offices Of Jerome Karam (Aug '13) Jun '16 Jasmine 5
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994
Cervelle Homes - Sedona (Feb '11) Jun '16 Steven 78
breaking down Friendswood (Aug '06) Jun '16 Vote 33

Webster Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Webster Mortgages