Missouri's Prop C: Voters Set to Challenge Health Reform

Full story: TIME.com 18,907
Missouri voters go to the polls Tuesday for the first-in-the-nation referendum on President Obama's health care plan. Full Story
CaptainChaos55

United States

#19887 Aug 28, 2013
No. He is a good and fair man. We should kelp him. Don't like him then vote him out next election the end.
lobo

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#19890 Sep 2, 2013
really??
Le Sivels

Crownsville, MD

#19892 Sep 2, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/l6hl4fk
Tree Hugger

Alameda, CA

#19893 Sep 9, 2013
Only Me wrote:
If any single one of you ever tried to buy your own private health insurance you would gladly be in favor of any health care reform. Anyone that is against health care reform is either getting Medicaid, Medicare, has insurance where you work, or is irresponsible and does not have any health insurance at all. The whole issue of Health Care Reform is not about government forcing anyone to buy health insurance. It is about changing a corrupt health care system.
Amen, you are NOT alone. After 45 years of self employment and expensive, inadequate health insurance its about time something happened to health care. You stated the facts exactly right! The politicians should all be required to live on medicare or get their treatment at the VA instead of us paying for their quality care while struggling to pay for our own. What's not to like about forcing insurance companies not to bail on the customers who have paid through the nose for years after the first sign of illness? Insurance Middle men should not be in the middle of life and death care for people. Only in America do we have this insane system. Health care industry sets it;s own prices willy nilly. We have already received over 700 dollars in refunds because of "Obama care". A ruling that requires Insurance companies to spend at least 80% of the premiums it receives from customers for health care instead of fancy buildings, CEO bonuses and fancy advertising, and so forth. Glad to get some of that money back and now there are only tiny yearly raises in premiums instead of the leaps and bounds of the past. Wish it had gone back beyond 2011 and 2012. Go out and self insure yourself and join the REAL world.
Tree Hugger

Alameda, CA

#19894 Sep 9, 2013
Yellow Dawg Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Yeah, this thread is dead, because "Prop C" does not trump federal law. "Prop C" was always a meaningless political gesture.
2. The healthcare reform was a step in the right direction. All parties agreed that healthcare reform is necessary. Generally, the Republicans resisted ANY and ALL changes, despite privately agreeing that something had to be done. As Bill Clinton said during his administration -- if the Democrats achieve a satisfactory healthcare reform, the Republican Party will cease to exist. Thus it is in the Republicans best interest, for self-preservation, to stand against any and all attempts to a meaningful healthcare reform act.
3. As complex as it is, certainly the present law is not the ultimate solution, but it is the ONLY solution on the table right now, short of completely voting it down. Of course, over time and experience, it would be possible (but unlikely because of the monolithic resistance by the Republicans) to "tweak" the existing law and make it better.
4. The lobbyists for the fatcat healthcare business will make sure that the congressmen they have in their back pockets stay there -- both Democrat and Republicans alike.
FINALLY a breath of fresh air and sanity! Has anyone noticed the GOP doth protest TOO MUCH! Sad that the reforms asked for are actually pretty small but several are very important and they are steps in the right direction.
Tree Hugger

Alameda, CA

#19895 Sep 9, 2013
Norton wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be true but Obamacare is going to make it worse for the middle class. I hope they tear it up and start over. If that thing goes thru we are under the government's thumb. They will totally control our healthcare and tell what we can and can't do. Doctors should be able to treat patients, not the government people sitting behind a desk that don't have a clue. Every person is different and one mold doesn't fit everybody. I am also sick of my car insurance and house insurance going up every time I get a statement! You are right, the middle class gets the brunt of everything!
CHEERS!
We are already under someones thumb. They are the ones who are the death panel. They tell the Drs and healthcare officials what they can and can't do. They are the middlemen. The Health Insurance Co. Obamacare is helping to put the thumb on THEM. But true they will get some of the benefits. However I don't think they liked giving refunds to customers with the new rules. Or having to insure people with chronic illness, or having no caps or being able to pick and choose their customers. Two years ago I fell and had an injury. The Doctor wanted me to get occupational therapy but the insurance company said no but allowed me six sessions of physical therapy. Put the blame where it belongs.
StrongSurvive

Troy, MO

#19896 Sep 10, 2013
I was always taught that, historically, people sacrificed their lives to provide us with the right to Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. The "pursuit of happiness" is a guaranteed right, but not the happiness in and of itself. Do you have a right to healthcare-of course. Do you have a right to make me pay for it? Nope. Do you have a right to own a cellphone-sure, why not? Should my tax money pay for it-nope. You don't contribute to paying my living expenses so why should I pay for yours, regardless of what they may be.
lol

United States

#19897 Sep 10, 2013
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe it's your shepards that have misled you, has that thought ever crossed your mind? I've read up on the plan and I'm just as confused as ever. It has a few good points, yes, but for the most part I don't feel it's really going to be Affordabe Healthcare for all. When you are putting millions more people on a health system, it's going to cost someone, and that someone is us the taxpayers. Do you all think this great healthcare is Free for everyone, it's going to cost big time! And if people could not afford insurance before, how will they afford it now, and then if they don't get it they will be fined. Those living on a tight budget can't do either so where will that put all of them? There are tons of unanswered questions about this whole program still, and nobody really seems to have the answers. Seems to be if you have to pass a bill to start with as sneaky as they did Obamacare that should say something righ there, what are they hiding and why? I don't think it's going to be all so great for everyone? And what about people who don't have an insurance program they buy into like the military and retired military, how does this all effect them? Are they now going to have to buy insurance too, will they be dropping military health coverage for those that serve our country? How does all that fit into the picture, as I said there are many questions to be asked? Are we going to take away another military benefit from those that served their country and put their lives at risk for our safety? Are medicare fees going to go up due to Obamacare, etc. etc. Then they wonder why people are so aprehensive of this program? Give us some answers to our questions!
Obviously you've "read up" on the plan from sources that haven't given you any useful information, just "it's terrible" no facts needed.

Read the plan, it has good points and bad, and there is plenty of information out there that includes both sides.
Vet

United States

#19898 Sep 11, 2013
Vote yes on C
Well

Carlisle, AR

#19899 Sep 16, 2013
Who knows

United States

#19900 Sep 16, 2013
It never ends
working poor

West Plains, MO

#19903 Sep 23, 2013
If you want to know about "Obmacare" go to this web site.
https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace/indivi...
This is the site you will be picking your plan and applying, if you decide to go with it. I am very excited to finally get affordable insurance. If I got it through my job, I can't afford it and it really sucks. It would be 15% of my income.
The calculator on this site, shows me paying 3.7% of my income. That is after tax credits. So good for all of you that are happy with your insurance and doctors. Those of us who cant afford it, now have a chance.
working poor

West Plains, MO

#19904 Sep 23, 2013
StrongSurvive wrote:
I was always taught that, historically, people sacrificed their lives to provide us with the right to Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. The "pursuit of happiness" is a guaranteed right, but not the happiness in and of itself. Do you have a right to healthcare-of course. Do you have a right to make me pay for it? Nope. Do you have a right to own a cellphone-sure, why not? Should my tax money pay for it-nope. You don't contribute to paying my living expenses so why should I pay for yours, regardless of what they may be.
Maybe you would rather pay for people's hospital bills instead, oh wait you already are. Wouldn't it be nice if people could have insurance and not run your health care up.
Hillbilly Jim

United States

#19906 Sep 23, 2013
working poor wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you would rather pay for people's hospital bills instead, oh wait you already are. Wouldn't it be nice if people could have insurance and not run your health care up.
You are obviously someone who is very knowledgeable about the Affordable Health Care Act I was wondering if you could help me out? Where in the bill does it say insurance will be provided for those who don't have it?
COSTLY

United States

#19910 Sep 24, 2013
ALL I KNOW IS THIS IS GOING TO COST ME A LOT OF MONEY I dont have,
Dreams do come true

United States

#19911 Sep 25, 2013
Obama Care. The best thing for our country.
Jer

Farmington, MO

#19912 Oct 2, 2013
Commonwealth Fund ranks Missouri 36th on health care.The state is not giving us health care,so let the Feds do it.We need health care.
seymore broomwhat

Houston, TX

#19913 Oct 7, 2013
call your senator and congress person in DC. My experience the last week is that the congressional lines are answered quickly, your senator will we are busy so hold or leave a voice mail.

For the white house you get a recording on both the switchboard and comment phone lines saying down due to government shutdown. So you need use the email option.

It only takes a few minutes to do all of this and it is important no matter what side of the fence you are on.

This is a great opportunity to let DC know what you want them to do

Thanks

Vince H
seagate

Iberia, MO

#19914 Oct 17, 2013
Jer wrote:
Commonwealth Fund ranks Missouri 36th on health care.The state is not giving us health care,so let the Feds do it.We need health care.
At some point, the people of this nation are going to wake up and demand a SP_UHC system...much like the rest of the civilized world uses. We pay twice as much as any other nation, and rank way down the list in terms of quality of care. There is absolutely no reason why we should have drug and insurance companies making billions, and doctors getting rich...while millions of our people are going broke paying for health care. A "Medicare For All" system makes far more sense than what we currently have. However, so long as we have our "bought and paid for" politicians, little is likely to be accomplished. I hold out hope that Obamacare will make such a mess of our system, that we will eventually join the rest of the world in recognizing that health care is a basic human right.
tim

Overland Park, KS

#19915 Oct 17, 2013
seagate wrote:
<quoted text>
At some point, the people of this nation are going to wake up and demand a SP_UHC system...much like the rest of the civilized world uses. We pay twice as much as any other nation, and rank way down the list in terms of quality of care. There is absolutely no reason why we should have drug and insurance companies making billions, and doctors getting rich...while millions of our people are going broke paying for health care. A "Medicare For All" system makes far more sense than what we currently have. However, so long as we have our "bought and paid for" politicians, little is likely to be accomplished. I hold out hope that Obamacare will make such a mess of our system, that we will eventually join the rest of the world in recognizing that health care is a basic human right.
I think ACA is a step in the direction you're wanting to go. But it may take years to get to a system even close to Canada or Norway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Webster Groves Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Yellow Dawg Democrat 97,281
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 7 hr Foster 3,191
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 9 hr Go Blue Forever 590
MO Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... Mon FyI 304
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) Sep 23 Jenny 6,937
MO August 3 Missouri Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Sep 20 Obama Bitches 10,212
MO Who do you support for Auditor in Missouri in 2... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Doug 269

Webster Groves Jobs

Webster Groves People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Webster Groves News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Webster Groves

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]