Animal "Rescurers"
Texan

Wichita, KS

#35 Dec 7, 2012
Mary Rose Smith, you are nothing more or nothing less than an ignorant trouble maker, bad mouthing any and all who disagree with you. Trap neuter and release does work. The number of strays does go down and without killing. Then again perhaps you should start your own shelter, buy a couple of guns, and plenty of ammo, then if enough people would bring you their animals you could kill to your hearts content. I get so sick of people who want animals dead, but want someone else to do it. And before you refer to me as some animal rights nut I am a hunter. A hunter not a murderer. The animals were put here for our use but with that use comes responsibility to care for the creatures of this world, and I for one take it seriously. So you need to become a part of the solution and quit being part of the problem. In other words put up or shut up.

Since: Sep 12

Weatherford, TX

#36 Dec 7, 2012
Texan wrote:
Mary Rose Smith, you are nothing more or nothing less than an ignorant trouble maker, bad mouthing any and all who disagree with you. Trap neuter and release does work. The number of strays does go down and without killing. Then again perhaps you should start your own shelter, buy a couple of guns, and plenty of ammo, then if enough people would bring you their animals you could kill to your hearts content. I get so sick of people who want animals dead, but want someone else to do it. And before you refer to me as some animal rights nut I am a hunter. A hunter not a murderer. The animals were put here for our use but with that use comes responsibility to care for the creatures of this world, and I for one take it seriously. So you need to become a part of the solution and quit being part of the problem. In other words put up or shut up.
In other words, you wish me to be a sheep, to just follow the herd and never have a thought or opinion of my own. In your post, did I hear you volunteering to take all of the feral cats from such a trap/neuter/release program? You can watch them disappear one by one as they are eaten by coyotes. Since you are such a big bad "hunter" you probably believe in the death penalty also. Well, I do not!

Weatherford, TX

#37 Dec 7, 2012
Texan wrote:
Since you believe in man's responsibility in caring for animals, does that include watching them suffer? The animals you kill must suffer as they are shot. The feral cats will suffer and die from disease, attacks from other animals, or become road kill. Is this what you advocate?
Texan

Wichita, KS

#38 Dec 7, 2012
I never volunteered to take anything, but I do have a fairly large feral cat population, they have been spayed or neutered and released. For the most part they live in my barn or the small shed I built. They are fed watered and cared for. I have a neighbor who does much the same. We keep track of them and on ocassion we find them homes. If not, at least they don't have to worry about people like you who would rather see them dead than to be bothered by them. Also while I am a hunter and have an above average stature, I am not bad. And yes I do happen to believe in the death penalty, there is no place for those who have no respect for life or harm women and children. So Mary Rose Smith as I said if you can do or say nothing constructive or helpful, just shut the hell up.

Weatherford, TX

#39 Dec 7, 2012
Texan wrote:
I never volunteered to take anything, but I do have a fairly large feral cat population, they have been spayed or neutered and released. For the most part they live in my barn or the small shed I built. They are fed watered and cared for. I have a neighbor who does much the same. We keep track of them and on ocassion we find them homes. If not, at least they don't have to worry about people like you who would rather see them dead than to be bothered by them. Also while I am a hunter and have an above average stature, I am not bad. And yes I do happen to believe in the death penalty, there is no place for those who have no respect for life or harm women and children. So Mary Rose Smith as I said if you can do or say nothing constructive or helpful, just shut the hell up.
I do not care if you are a tiny little mouse of a man, I will not be intimidated by you nor anyone else! Are you so infallible that you would sit on a jury and vote for the death penalty even though many so called convicted "criminals" have been cleared of their "crimes" by DNA testing? What about the animals you kill? Just what is your purpose for their slaughter? A trophy on the wall? Obviously you aren't hungry so I can only surmise that you enjoy the "kill". Congratulations to you and your neighbor for your colony of cats - do you at least obey the state law and have each and every one of them vaccinated for rabies annually? Perhaps you know others who would volunteer their property for the relocation of more feral cats? And yes I believe the humane solution to unwanted animals is to be put to sleep and not kicked out to live on their own in the wild. Because of the animal people and their no kill attitude, animals are being kept in unsuitable conditions at the shelter. Conditions that presents a danger to their health and well being. Now what is humane about this? Of course you and the other animal people don't care about this, do you. I will continue to post here and present my opinions and my thoughts and give the public another point of view.

Weatherford, TX

#40 Dec 7, 2012
Some suggestions for the animal people -

Start a donation fund for shelter improvements. A new building for sick or injured animals:$150,000. A new building for cats:$150,000. Revamping the kennel the shelter calls E $100,000.(Revamping properly would increase the number of kennels) A new building for quarantined animals $ 150,000. Covers for the indoor/outdoor kennels $ 25,000. Paint and improvements for Kennels C. & D.$15,000. According to the animal assessment report new stainless cages are necessary for cats and small dogs - unknown cost. I have been out of the construction business for over 10 years, the above figures could amount to more or less than those stated. As stated the total is $ 590,000. Housing and caring for animals is an expensive venture. The brunt of these costs come from the people who care - the ones who do not care are the same ones responsible for the animals being in the shelter. Of course the shelter can limp along as is - over crowded conditions breeds disease, even under the best of circumstances. So animal people what is your cure? More adoptions? Unfortunately there are not enough homes for all of these animals nor are there enough rescues. The adoption cost has been cut to more than half the original cost for the last two months, going on three months and yet the shelter stays over crowded. What are your answers?
Watchdog member

Dallas, TX

#41 Dec 8, 2012
MaryRoseSmith wrote:
Some suggestions for the animal people -
Start a donation fund for shelter improvements. A new building for sick or injured animals:$150,000. A new building for cats:$150,000. Revamping the kennel the shelter calls E $100,000.(Revamping properly would increase the number of kennels) A new building for quarantined animals $ 150,000. Covers for the indoor/outdoor kennels $ 25,000. Paint and improvements for Kennels C. & D.$15,000. According to the animal assessment report new stainless cages are necessary for cats and small dogs - unknown cost. I have been out of the construction business for over 10 years, the above figures could amount to more or less than those stated. As stated the total is $ 590,000. Housing and caring for animals is an expensive venture. The brunt of these costs come from the people who care - the ones who do not care are the same ones responsible for the animals being in the shelter. Of course the shelter can limp along as is - over crowded conditions breeds disease, even under the best of circumstances. So animal people what is your cure? More adoptions? Unfortunately there are not enough homes for all of these animals nor are there enough rescues. The adoption cost has been cut to more than half the original cost for the last two months, going on three months and yet the shelter stays over crowded. What are your answers?
The Weatherford shelter is a city/county operation and has just in the last few years had an expensive renovation using matching funds donated by a local rancher and animal lover, Moncrief. What has happened to make this facility unsafe to take in animals? Since you seem to be an authority on this subject here is your chance to shine.

Weatherford, TX

#42 Dec 8, 2012
Watchdog member wrote:
<quoted text>The Weatherford shelter is a city/county operation and has just in the last few years had an expensive renovation using matching funds donated by a local rancher and animal lover, Moncrief. What has happened to make this facility unsafe to take in animals? Since you seem to be an authority on this subject here is your chance to shine.
Simple answer - they are keeping more animals than the kennels were designed to keep. Why? The animal people that's why. Demanding no kill. I think the city is trying to appease them and the animals suffer.
Texan

Wichita, KS

#43 Dec 8, 2012
Well Mary why don't you just go down there and kill a bunch of those animals and eliminate that problem. You are disgusting your heart bleeds for rapist, child molesters, and murderers; no death penalty for them, but let's hurry up and kill all of those vile animals that did nothing more than give unconditional loyalty to some irresponsible pet owner who abandoned them. People like you make me sick. It's a shame that when folks get tired of you, you can't just be putdown. Think about it.

Weatherford, TX

#44 Dec 8, 2012
Texan wrote:
Well Mary why don't you just go down there and kill a bunch of those animals and eliminate that problem. You are disgusting your heart bleeds for rapist, child molesters, and murderers; no death penalty for them, but let's hurry up and kill all of those vile animals that did nothing more than give unconditional loyalty to some irresponsible pet owner who abandoned them. People like you make me sick. It's a shame that when folks get tired of you, you can't just be putdown. Think about it.
You never did say why you like to kill animals. God will take care of me in his own time.
Texan

Wichita, KS

#45 Dec 8, 2012
Actually I told you why I did kill them; to eat. Venison not only taste better than beef, it is healthier, less colesterol. But you are right about one thing: God will take care of you.

Weatherford, TX

#46 Dec 8, 2012
Texan wrote:
From what you say, you have no solution to unwanted animals. The number of animals that do come into the shelter is just a ripple in a very large pond. So what is it? Spend over a half of million dollars on improvements or as you say kill them?

My heart does not "bleed" for real criminals - my question to you was: are you so infallible that you can determine the real guilt or innocence of a person on trial? Death of a human soul is final - how can you be so sure they deserve to die?

Weatherford, TX

#47 Dec 8, 2012
Texan wrote:
Actually I told you why I did kill them; to eat. Venison not only taste better than beef, it is healthier, less colesterol. But you are right about one thing: God will take care of you.
Yes, and you also will be judged when the time comes. Happy hunting for Bambi.
Texan

Wichita, KS

#48 Dec 8, 2012
You are judge and jury over the as YOU call them; unwanted animals. I know from reading your post that you believe yourself infallible. And there are a lot of ways to solve the over population of pets TNR is just one. The state has implemented a program to stop the puppy mills. I do not hunt Bambi, can't eat a cartoon. And while I will also be judged, I don't worry about it. So you should be glad that your unwanted self isn't subject to the same treatment as those animals. Lets face it for a lot of animals there was a lot more thought that went into their breeding and bloodlines, than there was in yours. Think about it.
dogs drool cats rule

Weatherford, TX

#49 Dec 8, 2012
MaryRoseSmith writes, "Because of the animal people and their no kill attitude, animals are being kept in unsuitable conditions at the shelter. Conditions that presents a danger to their health and well being."

~~~~~~~~~~

Are you speaking on behalf of the Weatherford animal shelter? Do you have inside knowledge of the shelter's current conditions? Perhaps you should take any evidence you have collected regarding "unsuitable conditions" to the staff or to whomever is responsible over the shelter.

Weatherford, TX

#50 Dec 8, 2012
dogs drool cats rule wrote:
MaryRoseSmith writes, "Because of the animal people and their no kill attitude, animals are being kept in unsuitable conditions at the shelter. Conditions that presents a danger to their health and well being."
~~~~~~~~~~
Are you speaking on behalf of the Weatherford animal shelter? Do you have inside knowledge of the shelter's current conditions? Perhaps you should take any evidence you have collected regarding "unsuitable conditions" to the staff or to whomever is responsible over the shelter.
I am speaking only for myself and certainly not for the city, county, nor anyone else. From reading your posts to this forum, you appear to be a little behind the times on the latest information. Perhaps you should go to the city web site and read the animal shelter assessment report. I believe this will explain my concerns. This report was ordered by the city, and I am sure they have reviewed the report thoroughly. There is no need for me to address my concerns to the city only to those who may not know of such a report. It is not difficult to ascertain what conditions the animals are having to endure. After listening on line to the last Animal Shelter Advisory Committee meeting, it appears they are trying to correct some of these concerns. I am most concerned about over-crowded conditions. From reading the report, it is apparent that animals are being kept in what is known as Kennel E. A kennel that is entirely unsuitable for housing any animal. It should be used only under the most dire circumstances and then only for a very short period of time. Animals are also being kept in banks of cages that are almost impossible to clean properly. I hope this answers your questions.

Weatherford, TX

#51 Dec 8, 2012
Texan wrote:
You are judge and jury over the as YOU call them; unwanted animals. I know from reading your post that you believe yourself infallible. And there are a lot of ways to solve the over population of pets TNR is just one. The state has implemented a program to stop the puppy mills. I do not hunt Bambi, can't eat a cartoon. And while I will also be judged, I don't worry about it. So you should be glad that your unwanted self isn't subject to the same treatment as those animals. Lets face it for a lot of animals there was a lot more thought that went into their breeding and bloodlines, than there was in yours. Think about it.
I neither judge nor jury concerning unwanted animals - I am only asking questions. I am well aware of the new state law concerning puppy mills. However, this bill did nothing to address back yard breeders, small breeders nor hoarders. There is no state law that requires pet owners to spay/neuter their animals - there is no city law nor is there a county law that requires the same. There should be a county law limiting the number of pets per household, just as there is in the city. Are you having your colony of cats vaccinated for rabies and other known feline diseases?
dogs drool cats rule

Weatherford, TX

#52 Dec 8, 2012
MaryRoseSmith,

It appears from what you have typed, that you are VERY closely related to either a city or county or shelter employees, or maybe you are one! You stated, "This report was ordered by the city, and I am sure they have reviewed the report thoroughly." How did you know the city ordered this report? WHO from the city ordered the evaluation? And who told you this information? Where was that posted publicly? You are beginning to look like a very disgruntle employee or a friend of a very disgruntle employee. It appears you are filled with hate and only seek retaliation. I listened to most of the audio file and it sounds like the concerns you mentioned have already been resolved. Perhaps it is you who is behind the times? You go on to say, "I am most concerned about over-crowded conditions. From reading the report, it is apparent that animals are being kept in what is known as Kennel E. A kennel that is entirely unsuitable for housing any animal. It should be used only under the most dire circumstances and then only for a very short period of time. Animals are also being kept in banks of cages that are almost impossible to clean properly." It sounds as if you are inserting your OPINIONS into your posts. How would you know all this unless you worked there? Please direct me to what page(s) of the assessment you are speaking of. I think you are fabricating things or delusional or maybe you are an employee hiding behind a screen name. Perhaps you are worried about things that do not exist.

Weatherford, TX

#53 Dec 8, 2012
dogs drool cats rule wrote:
MaryRoseSmith,
It appears from what you have typed, that you are VERY closely related to either a city or county or shelter employees, or maybe you are one! You stated, "This report was ordered by the city, and I am sure they have reviewed the report thoroughly." How did you know the city ordered this report? WHO from the city ordered the evaluation? And who told you this information? Where was that posted publicly? You are beginning to look like a very disgruntle employee or a friend of a very disgruntle employee. It appears you are filled with hate and only seek retaliation. I listened to most of the audio file and it sounds like the concerns you mentioned have already been resolved. Perhaps it is you who is behind the times? You go on to say, "I am most concerned about over-crowded conditions. From reading the report, it is apparent that animals are being kept in what is known as Kennel E. A kennel that is entirely unsuitable for housing any animal. It should be used only under the most dire circumstances and then only for a very short period of time. Animals are also being kept in banks of cages that are almost impossible to clean properly." It sounds as if you are inserting your OPINIONS into your posts. How would you know all this unless you worked there? Please direct me to what page(s) of the assessment you are speaking of. I think you are fabricating things or delusional or maybe you are an employee hiding behind a screen name. Perhaps you are worried about things that do not exist.
Here is the link for the report - please read and with any comprehension skills at all you should be able to understand. I am not an employee nor have I ever been a employee of the city or the shelter in any capacity what so ever. Is this clear? Or do I have to explain this fact over and over to you. You should have taken the time to read the entire report before you made a silly post such as the one above.

http://www.ci.weatherford.tx.us/DocumentView....
dogs drool cats rule

Weatherford, TX

#54 Dec 9, 2012
Summary: The city is being more transparent. They corrected many suggestions from the evaluation. They are currently in progress of correcting more. It appears new management is doing a terrific job and that general public is pleased with the recent report. You know what they say about one bad apple.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weatherford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what kinda town is granbury really? (Sep '08) May 24 Texan 44
police accidentally shoots partner May 10 Cruiser 9
WC Board Election Apr '17 Wford Voter 1
Millsap HS Baseball Mar '17 millsapgoingtobrock 1
News What to Watch: After Senate sideshow, 'bathroom... Mar '17 Texan 2
News Burglary suspect catches some zzza s in Weather... Mar '17 music lover 1
Hi (Jun '16) Feb '17 Cuffinhoods 2

Weatherford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance