Strapped St. Paul charter school to c...

Strapped St. Paul charter school to close midyear

There are 33 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 24, 2009, titled Strapped St. Paul charter school to close midyear. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

One of Minnesota's oldest charter schools will close at the end of the calendar year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JAR

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Nov 25, 2009
I thought Nova was now located in the St Francis/St James School located on Osceola Street off of West 7th. Maybe I am wrong..."Parenting Skills’" comments just shows how ignorant and arrogant some people are. Do you know anything about this school of the kids that attend it? Not sure what learning disabilities’ your child has but they are not all alike nor do the respond all alike (to the same type of education structure). From what I have heard about this school is it does work for these children and that they respond very well to this type of learning environment their core values and what this school bases it teaching/educational philosophy on. It teaches them to be part of a community and a respectful citizen (which most kids know nothing about). Yes it does have a low attendance but does that mean it isn’t working for these children. Most parents do teach (or at least try too) these skills to their children but what makes a difference is that some else also reinforces these to their children in an outside learning environment and prepares (teaches them skills) for life as a functioning and productive adult. The problem is kids now a day have NO RESPECT for anyone or themselves. Hence said please do not comment on something you obviously know nothing about. Parenting Skills I am sure your child listens to you all the time…..but please stay in Minneapolis were you belong.

My take on it is the majority of enrollment is mostly African American and maybe that is why there is such ignorance out there about this school? And why it is so easily dismissed as a school that is failing?

A parent also with a child who has learning disabilities that attends a public school.

Since: Sep 09

Chicago

#22 Nov 25, 2009
Earlier commentators made several good points. 1. Nova is in St. Paul. 2. This is a school that had trouble attracting students and at which student achievement was quite low. While I am glad to hear that the school worked well for Sandy's son, there are some other good options, both district and charter that offer a similar but I think stronger education. Sandy can contact me at Humphrey Institute in Minneapolis if she (?) would like to discuss.
Uh uh

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Nov 25, 2009
DoveGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Sayin: Research St. Croix Prepatory Academy. It will change your way of thinking about charter schools. With aproximately 1000 children, it is well-attended and in high demand. District 834 (Stillwater area)is rife with political correctness, falling grades and low expectations. More and more, like-minded parents -SICK OF TRADITIONAL PUBLIC SCHOOLS- are pulling the plug. SCPA's accomplishments are to be applauded.
Kudos to the school if it's as successful and purposeful as you say; but sorry, no sympathy for how "bad" things are in Stillwater.
Ell

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Nov 25, 2009
FrankL wrote:
This is how things should work, an underperforming school is closed instead of being on life support for years. The school's enrollment declined by 50%, obviously parents don't value the program any more.
The parents of at least 63 kids valued it.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#25 Nov 25, 2009
here we go wrote:
<quoted text>
Closing an under-performing school with sparse enrollment is a GOOD thing.
No, it is never a good idea to shut down an educational facility that is currently used by the children in that area.

I think they need to re-evaluate the programs there, but keep the school open. And they need to upgrade the teaching and support staff with union memebers who are more qualified than the current staff.

If they did this, I believe the school would be an unprecidented success.
RuPaul

Saint Paul, MN

#26 Nov 25, 2009
here we go wrote:
<quoted text>
Long ago I declined to respond to your nonsense, because I truly believe you're a troll and you don't really believe the spew you throw out there, but I want you to try this on for size.
Closing an under-performing school with sparse enrollment is a GOOD thing. It saves the taxpayers money and the kids will be better served, not to mention educated elsewhere. Do you honestly believe heating and maintaining a building, paying teachers and adminstrators for 63 kids is a good use of resources?
Why theth, theth he duth.
sandy

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Nov 25, 2009
Thanks JAR and ELL. I appreciate it. Joe Nathan, I will reply to you. If you know of options, I'd love to talk!!!!

Sandy
parent

Saint Paul, MN

#28 Nov 25, 2009
Parenting Skills you missed the boat completely and are sinking..............Get educated BEFORE you comment on something you know nothing about. JAR is right please, please stay in Mpls.
resident

Saint Paul, MN

#29 Nov 25, 2009
Herman wrote:
Quote: ""I think we'll hear about charter schools closing hand over fist," said Brian Bloomfield, executive director for Nova Classical Academy, a charter school in Wayzata."
And when, Mr. Ebert, did Nove relocate to Wayzata? Last time I looked (at 7:30 this morning) Nova was located in the former Saint Gregory School building on Montreal between Davern and Snelling next to the Highland Jr/Sr Complex. Did Wayzata annex Highland Park or is this just sloppy reporting?
I thought it was off West 7th & Randolph Streets on Osceola Street next to the St Francis de Sales church at 7:30 this morning??
Proud Parent

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#30 Nov 25, 2009
My daughter graduated from Skills for Tomorrow in 2005. I was very involved in her education. I moved her out of a public school in the suburbs where she was in an overpopulated classroom, in a school with overly stressed out teachers (some of them not all). At Skills for Tomorrow the teachers were there because they loved their job not because of what they were getting paid. (which is less than other teachers) When you walked in the door in the morning all the teachers were there smiling and saying good morning. You could see in their eyes that this is what they love to do. Things were explained in a way that all could understand and if you didn't understand they were more than happy to help a child out until they understood.(which is more than what I can say about many of the teachers in the public school system) That is how it was the whole time my daughter attended. They really helped my daughter and many others.
Frustrated with Pawlenty

Saint Paul, MN

#31 Nov 25, 2009
DoveGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Sayin: Research St. Croix Prepatory Academy. It will change your way of thinking about charter schools. With aproximately 1000 children, it is well-attended and in high demand. District 834 (Stillwater area)is rife with political correctness, falling grades and low expectations. More and more, like-minded parents -SICK OF TRADITIONAL PUBLIC SCHOOLS- are pulling the plug. SCPA's accomplishments are to be applauded.
Yeah, check it out if you want to send your kid to a 99.999999% white school! A friend of mine was going to send her daughter there,'til she found out her daughter would be the SECOND black child at the school. Yeah. Sounds like a great place -- not!
It'd also be easier to research the academy if you spelled "Preparatory" correctly. I hope you aren't a graduate!

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#32 Nov 27, 2009
Frustrated with Pawlenty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, check it out if you want to send your kid to a 99.999999% white school! A friend of mine was going to send her daughter there,'til she found out her daughter would be the SECOND black child at the school. Yeah. Sounds like a great place -- not!
It'd also be easier to research the academy if you spelled "Preparatory" correctly. I hope you aren't a graduate!
A child can not learn to function in today's USA if they are kept sheltered in an all white school. This is not where a smart parent would send a child.
Clueless

United States

#33 Nov 27, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is never a good idea to shut down an educational facility that is currently used by the children in that area.
I think they need to re-evaluate the programs there, but keep the school open. And they need to upgrade the teaching and support staff with union memebers who are more qualified than the current staff.
If they did this, I believe the school would be an unprecidented success.
Yea, in the end you always show yourself, union thug. Keep the school
open, but only if "union members" staff it. And bus in kids of color
to make yourself feel good whether they want to come or not. Another
example of the Democratic party in action.

Take a good look folks, this is the Democratic party. All union, all the
time, spending your money no matter how much and no matter how badly,
and tell families where they must send their kids to school just to
make the numbers look good.

Liberalism is a religion; the most dangerous one we know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wayzata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buckhorn fire 3-18-72 ~ Photo by Ken Siljander (Jul '14) Apr 26 Bobolink 6
Buckhorn ~ Photo contributed by Ken Siljander Apr '18 Bobolink 1
Review: Almost Free Realty Inc (Feb '09) Oct '17 Edward 14
Inflatable boat (May '17) May '17 Meung07 1
Review: Salon Entourage (Feb '17) Feb '17 Anonymous 1
News Northern Oil and Gas Inc. (NOG) Downgraded by Z... (Sep '16) Sep '16 no pipeline permit 1
News Christopher & Banks to close its high-end Acorn... (Jul '08) Sep '14 JackieB 20

Wayzata Jobs

Personal Finance

Wayzata Mortgages