Strapped St. Paul charter school to c...

Strapped St. Paul charter school to close midyear

There are 33 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 24, 2009, titled Strapped St. Paul charter school to close midyear. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

One of Minnesota's oldest charter schools will close at the end of the calendar year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wow

Eden Prairie, MN

#1 Nov 24, 2009
Isn't Pawlenty pro charter school/voucher versus adequately funding public schools? As usual, he does not put his money where his mouth is.

And he is seriously "thinking" about running for President.
Clueless

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Nov 25, 2009
Wow wrote:
Isn't Pawlenty pro charter school/voucher versus adequately funding public schools? As usual, he does not put his money where his mouth is.
And he is seriously "thinking" about running for President.
Two points: number one, it isn't "his money"; it is ours.
Number two, as governor he has a role in education - good or
bad; it is a state issue. As President he will have little
to no role; again, it is a state issue. But he will have a
very real role in budgets. Which, by the way, are trillions
in the red. Maybe he could cut a little from that budget.
Pawlenty AWOL

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Nov 25, 2009
Officials with Pawlenty's office and the state Department of Education could not be reached Tuesday evening for comment. THEY MUST BE IN MICHIGAN FOR HIS PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN. Check tommorrow
Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Nov 25, 2009
If $316,000.00 problems don't cause any alrm then maybe they need to close.
Hmmm

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Nov 25, 2009
It'll be hard on the kids to have to switch schools mid-year, but if the school could only attract 63 kids they probably needed to close.
Im just saying

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Nov 25, 2009
I thought the Nova Classical Academy was in St. Paul, not Wayzata.
And Im Just Saying

Burnsville, MN

#7 Nov 25, 2009
Let's end public education, including the charter schools. Zap. Finis. Over and done.

1.It'll save money.
2.No one will notice the difference if the brats can or can't read; besides we need the cannon fodder.
3.It'll remove something from the vast list of things you idiots complain about.
Herman

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Nov 25, 2009
Quote: ""I think we'll hear about charter schools closing hand over fist," said Brian Bloomfield, executive director for Nova Classical Academy, a charter school in Wayzata."

And when, Mr. Ebert, did Nove relocate to Wayzata? Last time I looked (at 7:30 this morning) Nova was located in the former Saint Gregory School building on Montreal between Davern and Snelling next to the Highland Jr/Sr Complex. Did Wayzata annex Highland Park or is this just sloppy reporting?
FrankL

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Nov 25, 2009
This is how things should work, an underperforming school is closed instead of being on life support for years. The school's enrollment declined by 50%, obviously parents don't value the program any more. Thus, the school closes. Think if public school district would run their schools the same way, weak schools would close and the stronger ones would remain. There would be more money per student, because the district wouldn't be maintaining so much underutilized real estate.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#10 Nov 25, 2009
Another casualty of King Timmy's funding only of his rich cronies and to heck with anyone that really needs the money. How sad.
here we go

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Nov 25, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
Another casualty of King Timmy's funding only of his rich cronies and to heck with anyone that really needs the money. How sad.
Long ago I declined to respond to your nonsense, because I truly believe you're a troll and you don't really believe the spew you throw out there, but I want you to try this on for size.

Closing an under-performing school with sparse enrollment is a GOOD thing. It saves the taxpayers money and the kids will be better served, not to mention educated elsewhere. Do you honestly believe heating and maintaining a building, paying teachers and adminstrators for 63 kids is a good use of resources?
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Nov 25, 2009
Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Two points: number one, it isn't "his money"; it is ours.
Number two, as governor he has a role in education - good or
bad; it is a state issue. As President he will have little
to no role; again, it is a state issue. But he will have a
very real role in budgets. Which, by the way, are trillions
in the red. Maybe he could cut a little from that budget.
And let's not forget this inconvenient truth:

"While the total number of students in St. Paul schools has shrunk slightly since 2002, charter school enrollment has doubled, Nathan said. More students from the city and suburbs are attending charter schools, but competition for students has intensified; the number of charter schools, too, has almost doubled since 2002. For the 2009-10 school year, there were 29 charter schools in St. Paul, according to the Minnesota Department of Education Web site."
too bad

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Nov 25, 2009
But can you imagine the horrors that would have taken place on the streets of Wayzata had Pawlenty raised taxes even 1% on the very wealthy??? Oh that's right you tax the rich and they; spend less while in Bora Bora?, spend less at the ski shop in Vail, or is it you tax the trich and they invest less in Chinese, Brazillian, and Indian companies. Or is it you tax the rich and they quit inviting your sorry " hey guys i'm a governor" a&# to their parties. Whichever it is I am sure tiny Tim has his best interests in mind.
sandy

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Nov 25, 2009
This really breaks my heart. This school has become a school my son can learn in well. With his learning disabilities, Skills has taught him more than any other school has in his 10 years in school. He is on the honor role and thriving. He is loving his service learning. He is volenteering and helping people in need. There should be a school like this, that teaches our children respect for others, helps teach them to like themselves, and help them learn that they can do anything in life, only if they try!!!! This is very sad!!!
Hopefully this doesn't happen to your childs school!!!
DoveGirl

United States

#15 Nov 25, 2009
And Im Just Saying wrote:
Let's end public education, including the charter schools. Zap. Finis. Over and done.
1.It'll save money.
2.No one will notice the difference if the brats can or can't read; besides we need the cannon fodder.
3.It'll remove something from the vast list of things you idiots complain about.
Just Sayin: Research St. Croix Prepatory Academy. It will change your way of thinking about charter schools. With aproximately 1000 children, it is well-attended and in high demand. District 834 (Stillwater area)is rife with political correctness, falling grades and low expectations. More and more, like-minded parents -SICK OF TRADITIONAL PUBLIC SCHOOLS- are pulling the plug. SCPA's accomplishments are to be applauded.
Charter schools

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Nov 25, 2009
Why do charter schools exist, and who is responsible for overseeing the operation of them? My thought is, the main reason they exist in the first place is to give more people government jobs and bleed the tax payers. As for who is responsible for overseeing the operation, well, I do not think there is anyone smart enough in the state of Minnesota capable of doing that, therefore they keep going along with no checks and balances which turns into another black hole of our education system absorbing and swallowing tax payers dollars at an alarming rate, and the black hole just keeps getting deeper and more expensive everyday.
Danno

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Nov 25, 2009
According to a report at a January board meeting, the school had a $316,000 deficit, largely due to a lag in receiving state funding. But this did not "signal undue alarm," the minutes said.

Such a deficit didn't raise the alarm? And it's now after their closure that their leader thinks others will fail. How can such narrow, nieve, short-mindedness really head a school called "Skills for Tomorrow?" I can hear the board members at the January meeting now, "no worries, the government and related taxpayer suckers will cover us,"
parenting skills

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Nov 25, 2009
sandy wrote:
This really breaks my heart. This school has become a school my son can learn in well. With his learning disabilities, Skills has taught him more than any other school has in his 10 years in school. He is on the honor role and thriving. He is loving his service learning. He is volenteering and helping people in need. There should be a school like this, that teaches our children respect for others, helps teach them to like themselves, and help them learn that they can do anything in life, only if they try!!!! This is very sad!!!
Hopefully this doesn't happen to your childs school!!!
PARENTING can teach these skills to your son as well.
Charter parent

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Nov 25, 2009

I think you missed a vital comment in the post.
"With his learning disabilities"
parenting skills

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Nov 25, 2009
Charter parent wrote:
I think you missed a vital comment in the post.
"With his learning disabilities"
No, I didn't. My son has learning disabilities too and the public schools do a great job with that but I rely on MYSELF to teach him life lessons, NOT someone else. The problem is that too many people rely on the system to do what they should be doing, parenting!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wayzata Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Inflatable boat May '17 Meung07 1
News Indian Partners With Zac Brown Band For U.S.O. ... (May '15) Mar '17 undertaker 3
Review: Salon Entourage Feb '17 Anonymous 1
News Making a choice: Voters talk of decision and of... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Frank 292
News Northern Oil and Gas Inc. (NOG) Downgraded by Z... (Sep '16) Sep '16 no pipeline permit 1
News Christopher & Banks to close its high-end Acorn... (Jul '08) Sep '14 JackieB 20
News Reporter Rusty Gatenby let go at KSTP after DWI... (Feb '14) Aug '14 rusty wantbe 6

Wayzata Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wayzata Mortgages