Jewish state senator objects to visiting Baptist pastor's invocation

Full story: TwinCities.com

A Minnesota state senator who is Jewish said Tuesday she was "highly uncomfortable" while a visiting Baptist pastor repeatedly mentioned Jesus Christ and Christianity in a prayer on the floor of the state Senate a day earlier, and wants to require that prayers in the chamber be nondenominational.
Comments
1 - 20 of 134 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2013
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Rob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Isn't the point of diversity, to respect one another's views? The Pastor was asked to pray. He was praying to his God in no different way than a person of a different faith would pray to their God. As long as person's of different faiths are represented and given an opportuity to represent a different faith, then shouldn't this Pastor be respected?

Even though my faith is different I wouldn't be offended or uncomfortable, he was simply doing what he was brought there to do. Cut the political correctness, and the notion that the Senator has some right not to be "uncomfortable".. This is stupid.
drj

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Just respect the separation of church and state. What if it were praise to Allah. There are a whole lot of other religions out there. Where do you draw the line? The response sounds like conservative crap.
Petty

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

This is stupid. Wah wah wah. What if ignoring Jesus in prayers makes other senators uncomfortable? Quit whining and focus on some real issues!
Bridge repair Money

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Maybe Taxpayers should feel uncomfortable with spending billions on the religious state of Isreal.

Imagine if we gave the Vatican City billions of dollars every year?

“Freedom and responsibility”

Since: Dec 10

St. Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Tolerance my dear Rabbi, we all have to practice tolerance. That goes for you too. Hopefully, he realized after the invocation that he wasn't bleeding, that his bank account wasn't emptied, that his family was safe from harm, and that he didn't get cancer.
GofVikesFan 2

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

I am grateful for your candor... thank you for speaking and telling it like it is ... I ran a company (manufacturing) in Singapore for three years ... I had Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddists, Muslims .. never had a problem ... of course, we recognized every religious celebration or holiday (officially / unofficially {no lost time])... and I never heard this kind of BS. Take a break folks ... diversify and accept. Geez.
Petty wrote:
This is stupid. Wah wah wah. What if ignoring Jesus in prayers makes other senators uncomfortable? Quit whining and focus on some real issues!

Since: Jul 08

Brooklyn Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

What the heck IS a nondenominational prayer? Is that like jumbo shrimp, or original copy?
Butchy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

What is the point? Get to work. If there was a god it would be busy in Japan I'd hope and could give a fig about MN congress.
Too Bad

Circle Pines, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Once again for the Republicans it is "My way or the highway", just like what we have seen in Wisconsin with Walker and his band of renegades.

I wonder how these Christian conservatives will like it years from now when a Legislature's majority is made up of Muslims and the daily invocation is to Allah. They will wish they had treated everyone else better when the had the chance.

The Republicans are nothing more than bullies advancing their radical agenda. Remember this at the next election and give them the boot.
Rodney Hinds

Abilene, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

The best solution is to keep your religion between you and your god and stop spewing it out into a government controlled forum.
Anoka County Kid

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

I spent a lot of time putting together concert programs in public schools. It was always amazing to me that in a Christian country, we were much more tolerant of other religions that Christianity. It was never questioned when I put a Hanukah song in a December program but anything which mentioned Christmas raised eyebrows.

BTW-I never changed my song selection.
Jay

Litchfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

I think Sen. Bonoff should invite an imam for opening prayer, even though she's Jewish. Once those Christian legislators hear "Allah" you can bet they'll get their undies in a bunch.
The Greatest Observer

Chisago City, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Get rid of the preachers and get to work.
Well

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Jay wrote:
I think Sen. Bonoff should invite an imam for opening prayer, even though she's Jewish. Once those Christian legislators hear "Allah" you can bet they'll get their undies in a bunch.
I'd bet NOT, heck they can get away with saying that on an airplane for khrists sake.
A Whole New

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Path of Reason wrote:
Tolerance my dear Rabbi, we all have to practice tolerance. That goes for you too. Hopefully, he realized after the invocation that he wasn't bleeding, that his bank account wasn't emptied, that his family was safe from harm, and that he didn't get cancer.
What exactly do you mean by "freedom and responsibility" as suggested in your forum profile?

Does the majority have a responsibility to those of the minority to ensure that their freedoms are equally protected and promoted?

Does your use of freedom refer to the being free from the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof?
A god but not God

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

The only thing I find wrong with the story is that in 2011 someone thinks it's okay to pray in the senate chamber in the first place. The senator who brought in the praying dude should be recalled.
Well ya know

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

A god but not God wrote:
The only thing I find wrong with the story is that in 2011 someone thinks it's okay to pray in the senate chamber in the first place. The senator who brought in the praying dude should be recalled.
What ever happened to seperation of church and state?

Isn't that in the Constitution or Bill of Rights or Ten Commandments or some other Government document?
Tax n Spend

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Path of Reason wrote:
WTH? Rabbi? "he"? The person that was complaining about the invocation was a female. Did you read the article before posting your comment? Also, many people desire more than just not bleeding, having money, being free from harm and not having cancer. Some believe in fairness, separation of church and state, etc.
Tax n Spend

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Well ya know wrote:
<quoted text>
What ever happened to seperation of church and state?
Isn't that in the Constitution or Bill of Rights or Ten Commandments or some other Government document?
It's very clear in the Magna Carta that there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. I think it is also in "The Communist Manifesto" and "Mein Kampf".
AntiMelting

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2011

Judged:

Adult children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wayzata Discussions

Search the Wayzata Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Long lake, MN - at Nelson Park - Nov. 21, 1971 Jul 28 heggie 1
Wayzata Cougars Jul 19 Cougar Den 3
Karen A. Geier Jul 9 John Geier 1
Buckhorn fire 3-18-72 ~ Photo by Ken Siljander Jul 7 Carol 1
2 Students Charged in Minnesota Goose Abuse (Jun '08) Jul 4 galleryphoto 50
Afton neighbors concerned new sewer system will... Jun '14 Eric Burger 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Plymouth, MN (Jan '12) Jun '14 kyle hoeg 8
•••
•••